General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Default protein powder

couldn't find a thread about it..Does it work? What is the best one ( not too expensive), what if it contains sugar..is it bad?
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Some say Syntrax Nectar is one of the best protien powders and apparently they taste amazing...They arent made with sugar..just sucralose.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #3  

Hmm never heard of it. I don't think it's sold in Whole Foods/Nob Hill.. Will check out my local vitamin shoppe. Thank you!! It is around $35 online, so probably a little more in stores.. Is there anything cheaper? I am a full time student so money is kind of an issue lol
Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Hopping on this thread to ask if anyone has recommendations for plant-based protein powders. So far I've tried hemp (ick) and soy (can cope but not exactly keen on it), and am eyeing up rice.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

I like Hemp Powder, but only certain brands. My favourite is Vanilla Spice by Living Harvest, and Trader Joe's Chocolate Hemp powder.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #6  

Does any of you know if sugar in protein powder is bad for you?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

only as bad as any other sugar. if you're watching your sugar intake, it counts the same as in anything else.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #8  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2011 View Post
Is there anything cheaper? I am a full time student so money is kind of an issue lol
Check Amazon for their prices on whatever protein powder you decide on. They have really good prices. Also Vitacost.com has good prices as well.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:00 AM   #9  

alright thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrDinosaur View Post
I like Hemp Powder, but only certain brands. My favourite is Vanilla Spice by Living Harvest, and Trader Joe's Chocolate Hemp powder.
Unfortunately I truly loathed hemp powder, plus I'm in the UK and we don't have those brands anyway. Soy is one where I could see myself getting on better with a nicer version of it, but hemp was no use whatsoever. It's a good thing that I take Omega 3 supplements in capsule form, because I absolutely cannot stand the taste or smell of any of the natural sources: fish sends me running away retching, linseed is only possible if the seeds are unbroken, and hemp is pretty much useless. Now if they'd make echium oil cheaper, my life would be complete, because the wretched stuff is bankrupting me!
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #11  
Releasing the inner hiker

A lot of places sell protein powder samples as well. That way you can find something you like without spending a lot of money or having a lot of wasted product.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
A lot of places sell protein powder samples as well. That way you can find something you like without spending a lot of money or having a lot of wasted product.
thanks, I'll probably end up doing that lol
Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #13  

I have read SOME good things about Almased. The greatest Pro is that it has all natural ingredients; the greatest Con is that it is expensive (1 canister lasts only 5 days, max.).

I have read MORE good things about Spiru-Tein. The greatest Pro is that it is nutritionally complete; the greatest Con is that it doesn't mix well without a blender.

I have not tried Almased because of its mixed reviews, but I currently have Spiru-Tein. I chose this because many reviewers stated their faithfulness to this product on a long-term basis; some for 20 years or more. Many people raved about the taste of it too. I believe this should be measured by how well a powder shake tastes when mixed with water alone, and my opinion is that the chocolate flavor is acceptable at best. There are many other flavors, and people add a variety of milk or fruit which helps a lot I am sure.

I don't use a blender like everyone recommends because of the hassle of clean-up, but I found the "Blender Bottle" @ Amazon which works great for hard to mix powders. You can't just mix Spiru-Tein in a normal shaker cup because you are left with globs of unmixed powder.

The main reason I chose Spiru-Tein was someone's testimony that she lost over 100 lbs. in one year by having two shakes a day and a sensible frozen dinner. Also, they say that you don't have to worry about taking any additional vitamins because they're all in there. One canister of Spiru-Tein lasts two weeks.
lomalindarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #14  

Thanks for the info, lomalindarn, I do use a mixer because it's much quicker and I'm used to cleaning it up. I really am afraid to read reviews cause alot of them might be fraud, and we don't know what's reliable or not you know?! But I will try to research more about the ones you spoke about. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #15  

I've tried Jay Robb which is a whey based protein with a good amino acid complex. It is sweetened with stevia, so no sugar. It mixes fairly easily in his shaker cup, which contains a ball whisk, however mine leaks which was a disappointment. The major drawback is this protein is expensive.

My husband found that this product really helped him when his guts were messed up. He used up most of what I'd been hording.

The taste is quite good and can be made to taste almost as good as real milk shakes. It can also be made into ice cream, (but I haven't been able to make that taste nearly as great as the real thing).
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote