Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What's Your "GO TO" Veggie Dinner?

EZMONEY
07-05-2011, 10:55 PM
My wife...and doctor...are really pushing for me to go edit~ (more) vegetarian...(and less meat)

not sure I can do that all out but I am willing, and have been doing much better for some time now as far as eating less meat.

When the kids were here with all their ballgames/church activities/scouts/etc. our favorite go to meal in a hurry was...

grab a rotisserie chicken (shred it) ~ can of pinto/black beans ~ lettuce/tomato/onion ~ cheese ~ tortillas or chips...

we had burritos/tacos/nachos in a hurry and reasonably healthy :)

So, what is your "go to" veggie meal?

It doesn't have to be something really quick...the kids are gone!! :)

patchworkpenguin
07-05-2011, 11:49 PM
ratatouille, veggie pizza or veggie soup.

bella83
07-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Linguine alla puttanesca, vegetable bolognese, stir fry, a big bean salad...I could go on for HOURS!

Esofia
07-06-2011, 04:46 AM
The really quick, comfort-food one is pasta with lentils, an Egyptian Jewish recipe from Claudia Roden's The Book of Jewish Food. Sauté a sliced onion in olive oil with cumin, coriander and cinnamon, and garlic; add a tin of green or brown lentils; once it's cooked, season with salt and pepper and put on pasta. Serves 2-3 depending on how hungry you are. Generally needs a dab of margarine/butter to go with, and I've been known to add a sliced tomato to the pan near the end.

EZMONEY
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
These ideas sound great Ladies...thanks...

which reminds me....Angie and I haven't been to the local French bakery, where we can get a really good ratatouille omelette, in a while...

Bellamack
07-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey,
I am not vegetarian, but we eat at least one veggie dinner a week. I love roasted veggies with fresh basil and cilantro & garlic. And then a nice black bean burger. My doctor is a cradle vegetarian and she said the hard part is really getting all the vitamins you need and she said she has always had to take a 'good' amount of B vitamins, just FYI.

Good Cookbook is from the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca NY (love this restaurant, only about 40 minutes from where I live) You can find it on line or at Barnes & Nobles. Hope you check it out!

wife2abadge
07-06-2011, 11:43 AM
veggie enchilada pasta:
6 oz whole wheat shell pasta
3 smallish zucchini
3 smallish summer squash
1 lb 12 oz can of crushed tomatoes
16 oz jar of (medium heat) enchilada sauce
12 pkg of frozen corn
hot ro*tel
can of black beans, rinsed and drained
can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 T minced garlic
an entire bunch of green onions
and all of the spices in copious amounts - cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. I like spicy and hot.
In large pot, sauté zucchini and squash in a little oil, salt and pepper until softened a bit. Take out of pan and set aside.
Add onions and garlic to pot and let them cook for a few minutes. Add in the beans, tomatoes/rotel, spices and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5-10 minutes to let the flavors mix together.
Add in pasta and more water, if needed. Let the pasta cook in the pot.
Once the pasta is cooked, stir in the corn and the zucchini and squash. I waited until the end to add the squash back in so it wouldn’t get too soggy.

layered mexican dinner:
brown rice, lime juice, green onion, cilantro
fat free refried beans
corn
salsa
over easy egg
guacamole

tex mex roll ups
can of corn, drained
can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2T lime juice
2tsp chopped chives
2tsp garlic powder
1/8tsp salt
4 tortillas
mix first six ingredients and roll up in tortillas. Eat with salsa

lentils and rice
6c cooked brown rice, mashed with 1-2 avocados while warm
Add 1/2 15oz can lentils and 1/2c chopped peanuts
serve over romaine

bbq chickpeas
15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 bottle bbq sauce
1/4tsp onion powder
microwave 2 min & stir
serve over brown rice

cheap chili
15 oz cans black beans, kidney beans, black eyed peas
1/2 c chickpeas
14oz can diced tomatoes w/juice
15oz can green enchilada sauce
mix together -- add in water or broth til you like the consistency. Heat

Esofia
07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
My doctor is a cradle vegetarian and she said the hard part is really getting all the vitamins you need and she said she has always had to take a 'good' amount of B vitamins, just FYI.

Really? I thought it was meat-eaters who tended to be short on vitamins, since they tend to lurk in plant foods? I certainly get huge amounts of B vitamins from my diet, and I'm vegan. Even without the nutritional yeast, which I have a small amount of a few times a week (mostly in fake parmesan, together with ground almonds, miso and salt), my vitamins are all nicely high. The areas I tend to have to concentrate on more are the minerals, but hey, all diets have areas where you have to work a little harder. And oddly enough for someone on a wholefoods diet with lots of veg, I have to work at fibre, but I think that's because I'm eating 1100 calories and the usual fibre recommendations are for people on 2000 calorie diets, so it's naturally harder to get as much fibre in just over half the amount of calories.

Another favourite recipe in this household is pasta primavera. Sauté assorted green vegetables in olive oil and put on pasta, usually with basil pesto and/or some sort of green beany thing (e.g. frozen baby broad beans). Pine nuts or almonds together with raisins and a pinch of ground coriander is an alternative way of seasoning it, bringing it more to Middle Eastern than Italian. Broccoli, courgette [zucchini], artichoke hearts, spinach, leeks, peas, that sort of thing. I don't eat cheese but I'm sure you could add it quite easily. Colourful and fabulous and you know, I haven't made it in ages, this is actually a good reminder.

Suzanne 3FC
07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I agree, Esofia. The bulk of our vitamins come from plant foods. I think the doctor mis-stated herself when she mentioned the vitamins. Doctors traditionally recommend B12 for vegans, though vegans as yourself that eat nutritional yeast don't even need to take B12. I really think the doc wasn't paying attention to what she was saying.

My GO-TO veggie meal is my vegetarian chili. It's only as good as I say it is if you use the same brands of ingredients, especially the seasoning, anything else will give a completely different flavor and I don't have a clue what it will taste like but it won't taste like mine :lol:

My Chili:
3 large sweet onions, chopped (I use Vidalia when available)
3 large red bell peppers, chopped (though I always use a large 28 oz can of roasted red bell peppers, chopped, and prefer Roland brand)
3 large cans (28 oz each) Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (best flavor and consistency with nice pieces of tomato)
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans black beans
2 cans white cannellini beans
4 Tbsp Smoky BBQ Rub from World Merchants Spice (http://www.worldspice.com/blends/bbq-rub-smoky)(key ingredient. Crucial ingredient. Seriously :p)
Saute the onions and red peppers (if using fresh) in a little olive oil, stir in remaining ingredients. Add a little water or vegetable stock if it's too thick. Simmer in crock pot all day. Tastes best the next day IMO. Freezes really well in individual portions. I always have some of this in my freezer.

CyndiM
07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
crockpot beans, veggies & seasonings to taste. I go Mexican, Italian, French, Indian, African with PB,or eclectic depending on my mood and what beans I have. In the winter i make a pot every weekend for quick weeknight meals.

Seasonal vegetable frittata

Greens & beans

Suzanne 3FC
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Cyndi, what is African with PB?

cottagebythesea
07-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Heat a little olive oil in a heavy skillet, toss in about a cup of chopped onion, and when the onions are almost soft, add 3 or 4 cloves of minced garlic and some red pepper flakes. Stir, and add a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, and let cook until the chickpeas start to pop. Add several handfuls of baby spinach leaves and let them cook down, then add a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Shave a little pecorino or parmesan cheese over each serving. I get barely two servings from this, depending on how hungry I am. ;)

(I sometimes make this with Swiss chard, and it's just as delicious.)

CyndiM
07-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Cyndi, what is African with PB?

This (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/crockpot-slow-cooker-phase-i/156862-african-inspired-crockpot-chili-lentil-peanut-butter-stew.html) is the basic model but anything with beans, tomatoes, some spice, & PB. Sweet potatoes are also a good addition. My favorite cafe serves an African Peanut Butter Stew that has sweet potatoes and, I think, garbanzos and is amazing.

EZMONEY
07-06-2011, 10:18 PM
:hug: Thank you all so much! :hug:

I can't wait to try these choices :hungry:

I edited my post to clarify my doctors advice. She wants me to eat lean meat and go green a lot more than I have...

not that Angie hasn't provided the options for me ;)

Anyway, I have really done well in the last few years of adding more veggies (which I love by the way) to my meals...

The link below is the black bean salsa we made for dinner tonight to go over some brown rice that we dipped ..... well I did with tortilla chips...

Angie skipped the chips, used the fork.....better choice and more civilized :D

The website is from a blog of an awesome friend of hers....

http://goodcleanhealth.com/blog/?p=155

jillnicole03
07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Burritos: Tortillas, black beans, spanish rice, pam "fried" onions & bell pepper, avocado & hot sauce =)

Spaghetti: WW Noodles, spaghetti sauce of choice, & pam "fry" some veggies -broccoli, carrots, onion, zucchini- So fast & easy.

Mashed Potatoes: Boil potatoes in vegetable or chicken broth, when done mix with seasonings of choice (roasted garlic is yum), I usually add a little of the juice after mashing also. Veggies on side.

Can Chili w/ Diced Baked Potatoes or Sweet Potato "Fries": Make potatoes in oven, when done pour chili on top, add a little ketchup if wanted.

Veggie Stir Fry: Broccoli, Onion, Carrots, Snow Peas, Teriyaki or Hoison Garlic Sauce. Serve over whole wheat rice. (stir fry veggies of choice using pam and a little soy or teriyaki sauce. I always also add garlic seasoning. When done mix with chinese sauce of preference and a little ginger seasoning.)

Quinoa Salad: Cook quinoa in veg or chicken broth, then drain put in bowl, mix with veggies such as green onion, green beans, corn, pepperoncinis, top with avocado and a drizzle of dressing if needed.

You can also throw veggies of choice, corn on the cob, and potatoes on the grill.

EZMONEY
07-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks Ladies ~

Funny how some of your suggestions are things we already do...

maybe we don't eat as much meat as I think.

We have had meat in some of our meals lately but also "less" of it and a lot more quinoa...

plus that bean salsa recipe fed us for days..lol....

Over rice/quinoa/breakfast burritos with eggs/chicken

Angie made a split pea soup last night for our dinner tonight...used potato instead of ham...I tried it and thought it was very good!

Thanks again for the ideas!

Sunnydays
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Green beans and tofu.
Red beans and rice.
Um this isn't really a meal but it's a really good side-dish. Get some bell peppers and put some fajita seasoning on it and cook in on a flat pan on the stove until soft.
Veggie Salad- mix tomatoes, bell pepper, and cucumber (and whatev else you want) and put in some vinagear and a little bit of veggie oil. Add some oregano, salt, and pepper and enjoy! It's better if it's slightly chilled.
Another Veggie Salad- mix corn, beans, and salsa together. Um unless your into spicy things...get the mild stuff.
Tubule (sp?)-cook up some whole wheat couscous. Put in some lemon juice. As little or as much as you like. I'd err on the side of caution. Too much isn't so great. Put a few table spoons of veggie oil. You can skip this if you'd like but a little bit makes it alot better. Then add as many veggies as you like! I'd suggest cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers. You can dice up an onion and add a bit in there too if you'd like. Salt and pepper for the finishing touches!

Can't think of any more right now. If I think of anything else I'll post again. :-)

EZMONEY
07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Thank you SUNNYDAYS :)

Well my wife joined our local CSA ...came home yesterday with more organic veggies than we have ever had in the house!

Had a great salad drizzled with some lemon flavored olive oil we bought in Napa a few weeks ago....:carrot: and some leftover split pea soup my wife made with potato chunks instead of ham....

My GRANDdaughter is being baptised this Saturday evening at our church so my son asked me if I could make a big pot of the chili our family loves and take it to his house after service....sure...

I plan to put some hamburger in mine...but more beans this time and less meat...

Angie is making a veggie one to serve too :)

Sunnydays
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
About 15 minutes away from our house we have a local farm with TONS of organic veggies. I love to stock up there. Always great to have some in the fridge.

Lemon flavored olive oil? Sounds really good. I'll have to check that out.

Congrats and have fun on Saturday! Hey well even reducing is great! Would you mind sending me the recipe? Anyway thanks and have fun! <3

EZMONEY
07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
SUNNYDAYS my wife and I bought the lemon olive oil at the Olive Press in Napa a few weeks ago. If you "search" limonato at their website it tells you about it. http://www.theolivepress.com/

As far as my chili I use Carroll Shelby chili mix which I buy here at Ralphs/Kroger market. I also add more cayenne pepper and pepper flakes to taste...I use chili beans, red kidney and pinto beans when I make large batches for company. Very simple.

Well I made a killer mac and cheese last night :carrot: I used white cheddar, asiago and romano cheese. I also added :broc: and :carrot: ...never put veggies in my mac and cheese before....pretty darn good!

Next time I will be adding way less cheese and more veggies :)

Also kicked it off with a large salad full of kale, cucumbers, carrots, red onion and tomatoes...drizzled with the above mentioned limonato :hungry:

My wife was so :cb: happy finding that on the table when she came home from teaching :yoga: yoga at church.

EZMONEY
07-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Angie made buckwheat and black bean burgers for lunch today...wrapped them in kale leaves with broccoli sprouts and cucumbers...

didn't hate it...

mountaingirl81
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Garden salad
Eggplant lasagna
Vegetarian pizza
Quinoa
Minestrone soup
Vegetarian crockpot chili
Vegetable Stew
Lentil curry
Saag Paneer and other vegetarian Indian dishes.

RowdyBliss
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Vegetarian Hot Pot - go Google it, it should be the first link that comes up (from Eating Well dot Com).

It's very similar to Vietnamese pho - and extremely customizable. Don't like tofu? Leave it out! Want to switch out the bok choy for baby corn? Do it! Not a fan of rice noodles? Forget 'em!

It's very, very easy to prepare, and super-healthy if you use the low-sodium veg broth (I usually use three boullion cubes to six cups of water - I like mine "brothy"). Made on its own, its not very spicy at all because you can customize the amount of red pepper flakes you use, if you use them at all. I like to add a healthy dose of dried cayenne as well as a few dashes of sriracha. I like my food to bite me back. :)

Enjoy, and good luck on your veg quest!

EZMONEY
07-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks LADIES!

I am going to check these ideas out soon.

EZMONEY
07-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Breakfast at The Naked cafe this morning...

Eggs with green chilies....black beans....whole wheat tortilla....salsa....broccoli/carrots....

awesome!

EZMONEY
07-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Linguine with olive oil, tomatoes, basil, garlic and onion tonight, a family favorite. Both Angie and I make it and when the kids were here we always had turkey bacon it it. Tonight she cooked the bacon separate and diced it so that I could add it to mine but hers remained all veggie.

An awesome homemade bruschetta and stir fried green beans, olive oil, onions and red peppers as side dishes.

All the veggies were from local organic farmers.

EZMONEY
07-31-2011, 04:55 PM
After church this morning Angie and I went to a little French bakery for breakfast.

We split two omlettes, ratatouille and a spinach, mushroom, garlic one with potatoes and fruit.

No bacon!....that's a switch for me....

EZMONEY
07-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Dinner tonight....Swiss chard sauteed with white wine, olive oil, onion and lemon juice. Risotto with asparagus...then chicken piccata...

but....I had a small piece of chicken and way more veggies on my plate.

EZMONEY
08-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Last night was all veggie...

cheese enchiladas, pinto beans, chips and guac....got an awesome avocado from the veggie CSA pack this week.

Angie thinking of dropping out of their program....seems, with our often unreliable schedules, we have wasted a lot of veggies the past weeks.

We can still buy local organic at the produce market next door to where she teaches yoga a few times a week or at a market less than a mile from us. Probably a better chance of less waste.

EZMONEY
08-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Dinner last night was .....

Asparagus stuffed ravioli (Fresh & Easy) with a fresh made basil/onion/garlic sauce we buy at a mom and pop Italian place we love....

A kale/spring mix/carrot/tomato/cucmber salad with lemon olice oil...

Garlic bread with fresh grated parm....

EZMONEY
08-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Last night Angie made ratatouille...will add the leftovers to eggs this afternoon for lunch.

gardenermom
08-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Quick and low fat veggie lasagna w yogurt topping (yogurt instead of bechamel sauce):

saute (in very little olive oil) chosen veggies (eg onion, mushroom, zucchini, peppers). Mix in cans of diced tomatoes, a dash of balsamic vinegar or wine, and herbs and simmer a little. Can add in legumes here (kidney beans or cooked lentils are both great).
Cook wholewheat lasagna.
Layer the lasagna w the veggie sauce in a dish, end with a lasagna layer.
Instead of the typical white sauce, just spread over some low fat plain yogurt (i mix it with some black pepper and parsley before spreading it out). Sprinkle with some grated parmesan or pecorino cheese. Cover with foil and bake @ 400F about 30 mins, then remove foil for last 15 mins.

EZMONEY
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks GARDENMOM...I have never had much luck with veggie lasagnas...oops! I take that back...I do make a very good spinach lasagna! But one filled with other veggies...nope.

EZMONEY
08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
So Angie mixed the leftover ratatouille in with scrambled eggs for lunch yesterday...awesome! Had black beans and brown rice on the side.

We did take my visiting uncle out for BBQ though....

But, so far this week that was the only meat for me.

EZMONEY
08-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Well we had turkey for dinner tonight. I roasted a turkey breast today to cut up for sandwiches during the week and it smelled so good Angie wanted it for dinner...

but....

she did make a veggie dish of rutabaga and carrots....boiled until soft then made a sauce of butter, brown sugar, lemon juice and dill....

never had rutabaga before...I liked it.

What else can you do with rutabaga?

EZMONEY
08-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Big family BBQ here tonight...

bratwurst....burgers and MUSHROOM burgers.....

had some of each....

the mushroom burgers were fine with me for flavor...but the texture was the iffy part....

working on it.

blackbutterfly
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Brown Rice, Quorn Tenders, Taco Seasoning and A tostada! If you don't use Quorn, substitute with Black beans! optional add Hot salsa or a bit of avocado! My fave

EZMONEY
09-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks BLACKBUTTERFLY!

TheLindsy
09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Ingredients
1 pound fusilli pasta Or you can use rotini pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (9-ounce) bag fresh spinach, roughly chopped
8 ounces (1/2 pint) cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup (about 3 1/2-ounces) grated Asiago cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.

Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and tomatoes and cook until the spinach wilts, about 2 more minutes. Add the cooked pasta and toss. Add the cheeses, salt, pepper, and the pasta cooking liquid and stir to combine.

Transfer the pasta to a serving plate and serve.

I saw it on the food network 3 or 4 years ago. I live for this! I make it once a week or so! Yum yum yum!

EZMONEY
09-22-2011, 09:10 AM
AWESOME TheLindsy thank you so much!

Just an update....I am still eating meat, but not near as much....and Angie too but way less....way-WAY less....

she is loving her "almost" vegetarian menu.

One thing she does for me is keep the meat separate from the meal on the nights she cooks, I can add it in if I wish.

The other night she made her Asian wraps with Swiss chard, which I love, but she made a stir fry of veggies, rice, sauce and hamburger...all in separate bowls. I added hamburger into mine and she did not.

EZMONEY
09-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Last night Angie made Moroccan Style Stuffed Acorn Squash...pretty good and definitely a fall feeling dish!

Here is the recipe if you are interested ~

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/moroccan-style-stuffed-acorn-squash/detail.aspx

miatutu
09-30-2011, 09:22 AM
When I am craving something veggie, I go with a veggie curry with lots o green beans, squash nand eggplant. My second pick is always veggie pizza. Love the stuff.

Carisa
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I notice most of your meals are higher in carbs and pastas etc. I do just seafood and SOME chicken once in a while. BUT i stay away from carbs. any recipes with low carb for vegan?

EZMONEY
10-05-2011, 09:49 PM
This week for dinner so far...

Angie made a spinach, cheese and tomato quiche

I made baked brussel sprouts/red onion/yukon yellow potatoes/carrots/granny smith apples cut in chunks and tossed with salt/pepper, sage and olive oil....the recipe called for kielbasa to be added but we had some bratwurst and sausage leftover from the Oktoberfest that I warmed it up on the side....would have been fine w/o the meat too.

My step-d came over tonight and made a veggie chili she got off of one of our family favorite sites....Kath Eats Real Food

Still doing more veggies and trying more dishes...still eating meat but less of it!

Who would have "thunk" I'd ever order a cheese and tomato pizza to have for TV football game watching lunch?.....lol

evilwomaniamshe
10-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Being fall is around the corner, I think you guys may enjoy making a boiled dinner, it's what I like to call my 1 pot wonder! ;)
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Boiled-Ham-Dinner
I also like to cut up a Rutabaga & a few parsnips & toss that into the pot too! :) Yanno the more the merrier... ;)

I also like a veggie stirfry carrots, peas, onions, shrooms, water chestnuts, another 1 pot wok wonder! & I like to add some shrimp for protein or chicken as they are good for the pipes! :strong:

Oh & if Ang lets, you could probably wash dinner down either of these din-dins with a brewski of your choice! :D

EZMONEY
10-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Thank you EVIL ONE...I will give that one a try....I noticed it was a Taste Of Home recipe, that was my go-to magazine when Angie "made" me start cooking dinners once a week!

As far as the beer goes...she is so happy right now that I have had beer just 3 days out of the last 43!...

our church 9-11 BBQ, Viking Fest and Oktoberfest...

but those are "legal" beer drinking days so she can't be mad right?...

right?.....;)

evilwomaniamshe
10-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Yuppers taste of home is a good magazine & online. Hope you like it. My hubby is a big fan of anything I cook & likes this one particularly well..

That's great just 3 out of 43! :) I believe in all things in moderation. Way to reel in the liquid consumption, although beer belly's do look better on men than women! ;) But with no beer belly, Angie can start washing clothes on your washboard abs soon then probably huh? :) Have a good wknd & taker EZ :)

EZMONEY
10-07-2011, 07:57 AM
:D EVIL ONE those "trying to get" 6-pack abs days are over for good at my age :) I'm just trying to downsize my family size Maytag belly to a studio apt. size ;)

Last night I made this while Angie taught yoga at church ~

Chunks of apple, pears, Yukon potatoes, leeks...cut long and sliced down the middle....chicken breast/thigh/leg

tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper chicken...roasted covered for 45 minutes then 15 uncovered....

pretty good...more veggies eaten than meat :)

evilwomaniamshe
10-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Maytag to studio. ha ha ha
My hubby says every good tool needs a tool shed! ;)

That sounds delish, one can't go wrong with fruits/veggies & a chick- those are my 3 fave staples actually.

EZMONEY
10-07-2011, 08:09 AM
:lol3: Well it's a good thing I have a lot of tools!

Anytime I make veggies/fruit/chicken dishes Angies treats me with marriage respect! :carrot:

but those full on red meat dishes...not so much :(

Be good/EVIL

bargoo
10-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Gary, next time you make chili try ground turkey instead of hamburger, no one will notice , it is delish and better for those with high cholesterol.PS it was the RED MEAT my doctor cautioned against.

EZMONEY
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks BARGOO I will admit for every veggie chili I make I make 3 hamburger ones.....

but I do also make turkey every now and then....in fact I made the following turkey recipe for KAIA'S baptism ...loved it!

PS Gals ~ Sounds like I am hijacking my own veggie thread here with all this talk of meat....oops!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/terrific-turkey-chili/detail.aspx

bargoo
10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I am not vegetarian, either, but I do eat a lot less meat than I used to. I think I could give up meat but I can't give up dairy, gotta have my milk, butter, cheese and eggs, too.

zenor77
10-09-2011, 12:16 AM
EZ! You are still on here. I was wondering if you were still around. I'm back to shed some "baby weight." I have a son now. :) Anyway...

I'm not vegetarian, but DH and I don't eat much meat these days. We feel better not eating it and it's so expensive. If I have to choose between meat or veggies, I choose veggies! Some of my favorites are...

Eggs in Purgatory: eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce and served over garlic toast or brown rice. Usually, I just saute some onions and garlic, add in a jar of marinara and add a pinch of herbs and a large pinch of red pepper flake. Then I poach the eggs in the sauce.

African Stew: Chard, onions, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, garbanzos, raisins and rice cooked in one pot. I add a lot of tabasco to mine. DH and I love spicy food. The kiddo loves this stuff and will gorge himself on veggies (no tabasco in his.) This recipe looks just like my version: http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Miscellany/African_Recipes.html

Oh and Chana Masala. http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/chana-masala/ I like to add a thawed and drained package of frozen spinach to this one too.

I love soups this time of year too and I feel like meat isn't "missed" so much in soup. If you make something like split pea, lentil, navy bean, etc. and feel the smokiness from meat is missing try adding a little liquid smoke. You get the flavor without meat.

EZMONEY
10-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Well congratulations ZENOR and great to see you! I am having so much fun with the blessing of my 6.5 month granddaughter from my son/dil...and my daughter/sil are expecting in March...happy camper here!!

Those recipes look awesome...especially the African stew one! I also like the idea of adding spinach to the Chana Masala...both of those look like something Angie would enjoy...thank-you!

Being a healthy mom for the kiddos is really going to pay off as the years go by!

Angie made dinner last night ~ Thin spaghetti with tomatoes, basil and parsley from our garden... yellow squash and zucchini from a neighbor's garden, leeks and garlic tossed with some flavored olive oil.....so fresh and so good!

Veg on gals...veg on!

EZMONEY
10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
My step-d posted this up on her Facebook today...I guess October is Vegetarian Month :)

Some good ideas ~ :)

http://www.takepart.com/photos/31-days-vegetarian-recipes

EZMONEY
10-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Dinner last night was interesting....

Angie made turkey and yams tacos with a cuban-ish black bean and rice side dish.....

pretty darn good.

Eveidently tonight she is going to make butternut squash enchiladas...

good luck selling me on that one BABE ;)

EZMONEY
10-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I made the following pumpkin and black bean soup last night for dinner. I made it exactly as it said and both Angie and I like it :)

Only problem, I made it specifically last night because my vegetarian step-d was coming over for dinner...

She didn't eat it :(

Who knew chicken broth was "meat"?...lol...not me :dizzy:

She didn't starve, Angie made butternut squash enchiladas too.

If I make the soup again when she is coming over I will try veggie broth.

here is the recipe ~ http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=858

EZMONEY
10-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Have been eating WAY less meat....

Angie and I went to Outback last night and split a steak and salmon dinner with an add on of french onion soup....

my tummy feels different this morning....

I even was up at 3am (about an hour earlier than normal) for a #2....

do you think it was 1/2...er...60% of a 7oz steak....

or just a coincidence?

To be honest....

I'm going with the steak!!!

This too shall pass.....

veg on!

EZMONEY
10-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Tonight Angie made a real nice green salad...green leaf lettuce, tomatoes from our garden, red onion, cilantro, black olives and cucumber....a little lemon olive oil....

and she made a nice pot of green pea soup with onion and potato in it too.

All veggie night!

Even lunch was tomato pizza....

Breakfast was spinach, mushroom, onion and a little...just a little bacon.

So not a meat free day...maybe 1 piece of bacon killed that.

Danithewall
10-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Sweet Potatoes are great :) with a side salad or side of broccoli. Super healthy and both are very low cal and have great health benefits. (sweet potatoes are also a healthier alternative to regular potatoes. And in my opinion, they taste much better)

EZMONEY
10-17-2011, 07:24 PM
We love sweet potatoes!

EZMONEY
10-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Spinach and cheese ravioli with a salad and garlic bread....

no meat in sight tonight.

EZMONEY
10-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Well, I did have meat twice yesterday. I pulled some leftover turkey breast out of the freezer from a few months back. Had a turkey sandwich for lunch then we had turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner, but...

I had collard greens for the first time ever! Angie stir fried them with some onions, a little honey and balsamic vinegar....awesome...AWESOME!

She said it was hard to find a recipe for the collard greens that didn't have bacon in it.....

my kind of recipe...lol

Be good....go veggie often!

EZMONEY
10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
I made a wild rice soup last night...loaded with fresh spinach and a little chicken.....very hearty!

LittleBlueCat
10-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Somewhere here I read about Eggplant Lasagna recipe posted in this forum? I tried to search for, but got a lot of threads, but not directly to the recipe. By chance anyone knows where it's located, and give me a clue??

Thanks!!

RococoRay
10-21-2011, 06:04 PM
This is a great "go-to" recipe that is very versatile - you can use any fresh, frozen (and thawed) or leftover vegetables you have on hand, and you can substitute any kind and amount of cheese too.

My favorite combination is feta cheese, broccoli, and a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (drained).

1-1/2 cups milk
4 eggs (you can use all or partial egg beaters)
3/4 cup biscuit baking mix (I use the low-fat kind)
2 T. butter, melted
1/2 c. grated parmesan
1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
1 cup cubed cooked ham (optional)
8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10 inch quiche or pie dish.
2. In a large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, baking mix, butter and parmesan cheese. Batter will be lumpy. Stir in broccoli, ham and Cheddar cheese. Pour into prepared quiche dish.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until eggs are set and top is golden brown.

EZMONEY
10-22-2011, 08:14 AM
LITTLEBLUECAT ~ Here is a link to the South Beach Diet threads, looks like plenty of choices in there :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4666379

ROCOCORAY ~ That looks great, my wife makes quiche just once in a while but we have frittata reasonably often.

Lentil soup and rice/black bean leftovers with some cheese nachos last night...watched our granddaughter so we just winged it "meatless".....:)

EZMONEY
10-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Last night Angie made the healthier revised version of my award winning...lol Mac and Cheese...pretty darn good and so much healthier!

She did put a little Canadian bacon in it for me since we wanted to compare the old version vs. the remake.

A nice comfort dish w/o the ham or Canadian bacon I bet. Next time we may use the liquid smoke suggestion.

Here it is ~ http://goodcleanhealth.com/blog/uncategorized/kids-favorite-mac-cheese/

EZMONEY
10-26-2011, 07:51 AM
A stir fry with carrots/kale/bok choy/red onion/turnips/spinach and plenty of seasoning....with chicken cooked off to the side to add in if one wished...

I did of course...but just a little...

we also started dinner with a bowl of Pacific Organic Roasted Bell Pepper And Tomato Soup...very-very tasty!

Veg On!

Munchy
10-26-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't eat very much meat, so a lot of my meals are vegetarian.

I love rice and beans: I saute onions, garlic, then add in 2 cans of pink or red kidney beans, a drained can of diced tomatoes, some sofrito, and an envelope of sazon. Let it all meld, then add chopped cilantro at the very end. Serve over white or brown rice.

I also love to make Tex-Mex inspired dishes with beans: enchiladas, tacos, burritos, or "stacks" of crisped corn tortillas.

Soup is always great (I'm partial to homemade tomato soup, split pea or lentil) and I love Asian style noodle bowls (sometimes topped with a poached egg).

I've made aloo gobi (an Indian potato/cauliflower dish), red curry with cauliflower, peas, and potatoes, or a fire roasted tomato and chickpea curry that I found on www.eatbetteramerica.com a while back.

Pasta dishes, spinach or zucchini balls instead of meatballs, a variety of pizzas, veggie burgers, and you can even make things like shepherd's pie with lentils instead of the meat (www.eatingwell.com has a good recipe featured), vegetarian chili, and vegetarian pot pie with extra root vegetables like parsnips and turnips in a mushroom gravy.

I like to do loaded white or sweet baked potatoes with broccoli and or romanesco, or sometimes quinoa salads with broccoli, roasted red peppers, scallions, and whatever else I can chop up and add in.

Another option is trying out the alternative meats that they have out there. Things like boca crumbles or yves deli slices can always be used.

EZMONEY
10-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the ideas MUNCHY!

I will check those links out.

My wife wasn't feeling well last night and since it was her night to cook I didn't have dinner plans when she got home from work...

I was going to our local Fresh And Easy anyway to buy some stuff, as my son in law's mother was in charge of a fundraiser there for their church school...

So I picked up some of their turkey chili which was ok. Not much meat in it. I got to talking with Angie though that it seems all the veggie types of chili that we end up cooking pretty much taste the same. I think it might be that the ones we make seem to have the same things in them like the peppers....

anyone have an "off the wall" veggie chili recipe?

Eat Your Veggies!

Suzanne 3FC
10-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I hope that turkey chili was made with tofurky, Gary :lol:

I don't have an off the wall chili suggestion, but I can suggest a secret ingredient that should liven up any chili recipe :) Pasilla oaxaca. First let me state that every source in America is currently out of stock. It's a very hard to find ingredient which hasn't been in the country in a few months, but hopefully will be available in the next month or so. These are peppers that are smoked, but please do not think of chipotle or other smoked peppers because these are very, very different. They are pasilla peppers that are intensely smoked and have a strong campfire scent and flavor to them. I can't count how many times I would walk into the kitchen just to open the jar and sniff :lol: Naturally as soon as I became hooked on them they disappeared from the market. My favorite use was to include one or two in a crockpot of 'from scratch' baked beans. Sweet and smoky. I bought mine from World Spice Merchants, www.worldspice.com but there are 2 or 3 other places that sell them. All sold out of course.

You might check out World Merchants for some of their unique spice blends to add new life to other veggie dishes. Everything is freshly blended and ground. I'm a die-hard fan of theirs. I use their Smoky BBQ Rub in my vegetarian chili. If you like Indian food, their curry blends are amazing and I promise you'll never buy a supermarket curry spice again.

Munchy
10-27-2011, 12:29 PM
anyone have an "off the wall" veggie chili recipe?

Eat Your Veggies!

Ok, so none of these are vegetarian, but they do have veggies and they're healthy... ;)

This one (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=233278) is really good and is chock-full of veggies. I find that the quality of the chili powder makes a difference and if you buy good chili powder (I get mine at Penzy's) it tastes a lot better! I add in one more can of black beans and I use a full pound of ground turkey. Warning, it makes a lot, but freezes very well.

This (http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/dinner/white-chicken-chili.aspx) recipe isn't veggie either, but I love to make it for other people. Reception has been good on it, and I think it's quite tasty.

Finally, I just made this (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html) recipe last week and I loved it because it was SO SIMPLE, and it used pumpkin!

In any of these (especially the first one) the meat can be swapped out for TVP crumbles, but the broths would need to be swapped out to truly be vegetarian dishes.

zenor77
10-27-2011, 12:46 PM
I always a add a pinch of cinnamon and a Tablespoon of cocoa powder to add depth to chili.

bellastarr
10-29-2011, 11:01 AM
A huge salad with protein

EZMONEY
10-29-2011, 06:47 PM
AWESOME! Ladies!!

Thanks for the spice and chili links and ideas...I am so looking forward to trying some of them!!

Angie says it isn't chili weather here yet, 76 degrees outside this afternoon...but for me, chili weather is ANY weather! May just make a batch for me.

Went for Mexican food last night and I was all veggie...my "last supper" meal pick of cheese enchiladas, rice and beans at our favorite mom/pop Mexican joint.

EZMONEY
11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Last week Angie made the following recipe from The Chopra Center Cookbook we received recently....very good :drool:

Cuban Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup

1 cup black beans, sorted, rinsed, and soaked overnight in water
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup leeks or onions, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup carrots, diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. oregano
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 cup diced tomatoes (from a can is fine)
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups torn kale
½ cup cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Drain and rinse the soaked beans and place in a large pot. Cover with water by several inches, add the bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until soft (about 1 hour for my beans). Reserve 1 cup of bean stock, then drain off the rest and set beans aside, discarding bay leaves.

In the same pot, heat the oil. Add the leeks, celery, soy sauce, and pepper, and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, sweet potato, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 5 minutes, letting mixture brown slightly. Add the beans and the tomatoes. Simmer a few more minutes, and then add the stock and reserved bean cooking liquid. Add water if the liquid doesn’t cover the contents of the pot. Simmer the soup until the sweet potatoes are soft. Add the greens and stir to wilt in the hot soup. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro just before serving.

doopdoop
11-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Take sliced tofu, press out the moisture, lightly breadcrumb and sear in a pan w/ just a bit of oil or non-stick spray. Then put in oven to brown with tomato or pasta sauce on top and a sprinkle of low fat or grated cheese, some sprinkled oregano, and some sprinkled basil (garlic powder is also great here). It's amazing! Serve with either more veggies or a bit of pasta.

EZMONEY
11-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Sweet potato soup ~ penne pasta with fresh pesto ~ salad

Doc was happy with my lower meat dinners but still wants more carbs out of my system...

man oh man

cbmare
11-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Sweet potato soup ~ penne pasta with fresh pesto ~ salad

Doc was happy with my lower meat dinners but still wants more carbs out of my system...

man oh man

That Cuban Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup sounds wonderful. Your doc doesn't want you to eat that? Come on! Those are supposed to be the healthy carbs. Let me guess, you are supposed to go on that "air" diet?