General chatter - I seriously feel like throwing up

View Full Version : I seriously feel like throwing up

TooManyDimples
07-05-2011, 03:23 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/casey-anthony-acquitted-killing-young-daughter-191600480.html

bargoo
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
It is a shocking verdict.

abetterme
07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree

Slim CB
07-05-2011, 03:32 PM
It is....but the evidence was all circumstantial. There was nothing concrete..........

Dorian5
07-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Apparently I have no idea what the heck "reasonable doubt" is. This made me so very sad to hear. :(

jigglefree
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I was sad to hear it as well but it is our nations justice system. You know someone did it but if you can't give the jury enough to say beyond a reasonable doubt... I think she did it but because it took so long to find the body all the evidence was lost and circumstantial wasn't enough for those jurors even though the prosecution did a fabulous job.

effie12
07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
When my boss told us this at work no one could believe it!

Ruthxxx
07-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Interesting that her parents left the courtroom as the verdict was read.

caramelkitty
07-05-2011, 04:23 PM
How disgusting, honestly i dont understand how people can just get away with these unspeakable acts.

A similar story shock us all in Montreal this morning as well:
http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20110705/turcotte-deaths-kids-110705.html

McMurphy
07-05-2011, 04:25 PM
It's OJ version 2.0

Bellamack
07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
OMG! Who do they think did it? and the accidental drowing is BS, why duct tape & Chloroform. Out partying for a MONTH when her daughter was missing? Is this Jury brain dead or the same one OJ had? That beautiful little girl got NO JUSTICE, so sad. pathetic really.:?:

EZMONEY
07-05-2011, 04:33 PM
shocked

Kaonashi
07-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Saw this one coming a mile away. And that's all I'm going to say about that. Poor little girl. :(

*leaves thread*

Chubbykins
07-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I know I might sound cruel and inhumane, but I'd either have the woman perform a hysterectomy or legally forbid her ever to have children again. :mad:
In the end that child died in neglect and that woman should never be a mother again.

gsb126
07-05-2011, 05:41 PM
For those who believe in a higher power, Ms. Anthony will face her judgment day eventually.

EZMONEY
07-05-2011, 09:06 PM
For those who believe in a higher power, Ms. Anthony will face her judgment day eventually.

As we all will...believers or not.....

Prayers for all victims in this sad, sad story :(

EZMONEY
07-05-2011, 09:19 PM
As I have calmed down a bit on the verdict I have taken time to wonder what the jurors were thinking as they came to the verdict...

knowing full well the public would be :faint: shocked :fr: and :censored: angry :mad:......

As a citizen of the greatest country in the world and justice system (as flawed as it is)...

I commend them for their courage and service.

Maybe I would feel the same if I was on the jury :judge: I wasn't and I
don't...

:angel: Prayers for the jurors and their families as they go forward in life...

bargoo
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
I was wondering if the OJ jury had moved to Florida.

sumire
07-05-2011, 09:46 PM
I was shocked, too. I find myself wondering what the jury is thinking now that they are able to go home and read all the media coverage that they weren't allowed to before.

Last year, I served 3 weeks of jury duty for a white-collar crime trial; the first thing I did when the trial finished was Google the defendants and some of the witnesses and names that popped up. I wanted to believe that we had returned the right verdict, and came out convinced that we did. I wonder if some of these jury members will worry that they were wrong, once they read things they weren't allowed to hear in court.

sheramama
07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Everyone I know feels the same way...outraged...upset...in disbelief. She should have at least gotten child neglect, abuse, anything. We have our porch light on. I hope down the line she gets what's coming to her. Karma's a b*&%$

bargoo
07-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I was on a jury not long ago, while it wasn't a murder case it was a 3 Strikes case. Our jury deliberated longer than the Anthony jury did and we did find him guilty. It was his lies that convinced us he was guilty.

jules1216
07-06-2011, 06:12 AM
I am shocked and I wont be buying any books, watching any movies or doing anything that allows Casey or the grandparents to profit from Caylee's death....

kaplods
07-06-2011, 06:49 AM
I was afraid this was going to happen, because of the convoluted lies that came from Casey and her parents. The stories changed so many times, it was very hard to believe it was an accident.

And yet, I did wonder from the start whether they would have enough evidence for first degree murder. Because of her previously history of sedating the child, there is reasonable doubt (in my mind) that she intended to kill her child with premeditation - but I can't understand why they didn't come back with 2nd degree murder, manslaughter due to negligence or any of the abuse charges.

Maybe the jurors will regret their decision after the fact, or maybe they knew something we did not. Regardless, I find this so disturbing on so many levels.

Esofia
07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Crimes aren't always straightforward to prosecute. Look at the incredibly low conviction rate for sex crimes, for instance. I'm also wondering whether a conviction would have been more likely in a country which doesn't have the death penalty. Anyway, I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds a very unpleasant case.

Lovely
07-06-2011, 07:00 AM
I don't really feel shocked. Sad for that poor child, still... but not shocked.

In the end, I wasn't on the jury so they might have gotten to see something or have something impressed upon them that left open reasonable doubt. Quite frankly, there was a LOT of odd behavior and plenty of weird circumstantial evidence, but that alone does not prove guilt.

The jury, also, does not read media coverage for good reason. Having only newspapers and other media to go off of, I cannot say that my opinion is unbiased. Things emphasized or shown might not be the way they were presented as part of the case in the courtroom. (As is so often done, media is often about the biggest headline.)

Regardless, it's still very sad.

Esofia
07-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Trial by media is getting appalling these days. Look at what happened to Christopher Jefferies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14024079). The poor man wasn't even charged by police, but the media decided that he was the killer and made his life horrendous.

EZMONEY
07-06-2011, 08:38 AM
...... - but I can't understand why they didn't come back with 2nd degree murder, manslaughter due to negligence or any of the abuse charges.

^Yep ^

Bellamack
07-06-2011, 08:45 AM

AMEN!

4star
07-06-2011, 08:46 AM
I was really concerned that the prosecution was over-trying the case based on the evidence they were giving. I was expecting a big reveal of some evidence the public had yet to see that would nail down premeditation. I was hoping they were going to prove cause of death. I think negligent homocide or a lesser charge might have worked better since they could place the child with her before and after death. I just don't know why they pulled out the big guns without the ammo to back it up.

You never know which way a jury will go. One stated they didn't believe in the death penalty and one said they didn't feel comfortable judging someone b/c of their religious beliefs. The prosecution should have booted them immediately. Why even keep them on the jury?

But now I am sure she'll go on to collect the child's life insurance and probably write a book or sell a made for tv movie.

bargoo
07-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I believe this jury has watched too many episodes of CSI.Rarely are murder cases solved so easily.We have come to expect DNA evidence or a witness to the crime. Before we learned about DNA defendants were convicted on circumstantial evidence . There is nothing wrong with circumstantial evidence. The question should be, is it more reasonable to believe in the guilt of the person or not.

MindiV
07-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I also saw it coming a mile away. My husband and I argued over this just this past weekend. He said he didn't see any way she'd be found not guilty of at least manslaughter. I said she'd walk.

Everyone I've talked to thinks her defense team was full of idiots who couldn't pick a defense and stick to it. They kept tossing out theory after theory.

But the jury wasn't able to see the analysis the rest of us could see online at night after the trial ended each day. They couldn't see the experts poking holes in the defense the way we did.

All they could see was what the defense wanted them to see - that any one of the things they suggested COULD have happened, and the prosecution couldn't prove they didn't. Unfortunately, IMO, they did the only thing they could do.

Do I think she did it? Yes. Do I think she'll profit from it? Of course. Do I think she'll get what's coming to her one day, somehow? Oh, yeah.

jules1216
07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Here's hoping the State of Florida sues Casey for all the man hours for the search for Caylee on the basis of her covering up "the drowning" as she says, she was convicted of the false statements, hopefully at least that could be used against her.

MissSMcC
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
we've had news of this even over here in Scotland, it's really shocking that a mother would have a child missing for a month and not report it. whether she killed the girl or not, that alone deserves massive punishment.

Coondocks
07-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Not guilty does not mean innocent.
I can't say I'm 'shocked' at the verdict, I can say I am angered by it.
Guy Turcotte as well, not shocked but angered greatly.
I don't know which one more.
One way or another, justice will be served to them both. It may not be what I would like, what I will ever see - but it will be.

TooManyDimples
07-06-2011, 06:34 PM
From an article on yahoo:

Jurors on the hot seat. The Anthonys weren't the only ones going into hiding: According to ABC News, the entire jury planned to abstain from speaking to the media. "They are just not interested...a universal, unequivocal no," Orange County circuit court official Karen Levey said. But that pact quickly seems to be breaking down. Juror Jennifer Ford told Diane Sawyer that all the jurors were "sick to our stomachs" after voting not guilty. "I did not say she was innocent," she said. "I just said there was not enough evidence. If you cannot prove what the crime was, you cannot determine what the punishment should be." One alternate juror also broke the vow of silence. Russell Huekler, an alternate who did cast a vote in the verdict, said the jurors made the right decision since the prosecution never presented a motive or cause of death. The other jurors' decision to hide so far may be a wise move, since the court of public opinion has not sided with those 12 members of our peers. On Twitter, people expressed their outrage about the verdict using the hashtag #notguilty. "Juror: 'It's like when you're kid's gone you just party for 31 days until someone finds you out. That's normal, right?'" joked comedian Kristen Schaal on Twitter.

What is wrong with these people!? Maybe they couldn't find it in them to find her guilty of murder, but how was there NO evidence? The scull was found with tape over the mouth!! The smell in her trunk, the online searches?! She claims her baby drowned, so she at least admits to being there when Caylee died. Isn't there some kind of charge for hiding a death? Not reporting your child missing for 31 days?

Once again I feel like throwing up. This jury should be ashamed for letting a baby killer go. :mad: If they didn't think she was innocent, but that there wasn't enough proof she was guilty they should have said they were a hung jury, let it be a mistrail, and let the prosecutor try to make a stronger case to another jury. Maybe that's all wishful thinking, but by declaring her Not Guilty they let her get away with it for life. ARGH!!

ade903
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Do you really think the jurors wanted to let her go? Even if it was an accident, even if it wasn't her, she hid it for a month while she partied. Yeah, she should be punished for those things that have been proved. But if the evidence, based on what was presented in court, was sufficient to convict her of murder, guess what...she would have been found guilty. The jurors did their job. Everyone is so hateful toward them. They did what they were supposed to do. What is the likelihood that the state would have found the only 12 heartless people in the state of Florida to be on the jury? They didn't. They found normal people that based on the trial found her to be not guilty. It doesn't mean she is innocent. It just means that there was reasonable doubt. She could very well be innocent. And then what if she was found guilty? You don't know these people. You don't know what they'll have to deal with for the rest of their lives because they had to make this decision. Unless you heard only what they heard and you didn't have any input from the media, stop judging them. And you don't know that she even did it. Where is your proof? Back off, seriously. Oh, and if you are so horrified that she'll get money from this ordeal, don't be a hypocrite. Make sure you don't buy the book or watch the lifetime movie.
I'm sure this post is going to make me a lot of friends. But you know what? None of you know what exactly happened. Don't blame the jury. Stop judging these people that were completely removed from their lives to do a civic duty.

luckymommy
07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I have heard that the jurors couldn't believe that a mother would actually kill her child and they didn't feel the prosecution gave enough of a motive for her to kill. Really? Since when is there a good motive for killing a child?

But really, my big question is why this case? Mothers often murder their children (unfortunately). This is something we hear about all the time. What is it about this particular case that made it such a media sensation? Is it because she's white and looks like a middle class young woman? I just don't get why this case was covered so extensively in the media.

All in all, I'm sickened by the decision that this jury made. I wasn't in that courtroom but the decision still sickens me. A lot. I really hope that she gets what she deserves one way or another.

Skittlez
07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Do you really think the jurors wanted to let her go? Even if it was an accident, even if it wasn't her, she hid it for a month while she partied. Yeah, she should be punished for those things that have been proved. But if the evidence, based on what was presented in court, was sufficient to convict her of murder, guess what...she would have been found guilty. The jurors did their job. Everyone is so hateful toward them. They did what they were supposed to do. What is the likelihood that the state would have found the only 12 heartless people in the state of Florida to be on the jury? They didn't. They found normal people that based on the trial found her to be not guilty. It doesn't mean she is innocent. It just means that there was reasonable doubt. She could very well be innocent. And then what if she was found guilty? You don't know these people. You don't know what they'll have to deal with for the rest of their lives because they had to make this decision. Unless you heard only what they heard and you didn't have any input from the media, stop judging them. And you don't know that she even did it. Where is your proof? Back off, seriously. Oh, and if you are so horrified that she'll get money from this ordeal, don't be a hypocrite. Make sure you don't buy the book or watch the lifetime movie.
I'm sure this post is going to make me a lot of friends. But you know what? None of you know what exactly happened. Don't blame the jury. Stop judging these people that were completely removed from their lives to do a civic duty.

^ Agreed.

MedChick87
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM

I completely agree with this. I'm extremely angry at the situation and at Casey for getting away with this (assuming she did do it), but to blame the jury is wrong. If they had been shown cold hard evidence that Casey did this, they would have found her guilty. Obviously, either the prosecution didn't do their job or they just didn't have enough of a case. It's sad that it worked out this way, but sometimes that's how cases like these go. Wouldn't it have been horrible if the jurors had found her guilty, but she was innocent? None of us were there when Caylee died...only a few select people will ever really know what happened to her, God being one of them. I have faith that Casey, if she did do it, will get what's coming to her.

EZMONEY
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I think everyone here is very sad for the poor child :(

but I think the MODS better shut this one down before it gets much more....

UGLY!!