Weight and Resistance Training - Geez it's July!

View Full Version : Geez it's July!

Lydia227
07-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Thought we should start a new thread. I never start these so I thought I should take me turn here. :D

Rhonda: A change in your routine will probably be a good thing if you can add a little intensity to it maybe cardio wise. Having to back off from weight is a tough thing to do. I've done the same thing this year and it's a crazy head thing. I know I can go heavier I just don't trust it...it's one of the reasons I decided to do Crossfit this summer. Time to readjust, relearn, and regroup. ;)

Still working on my endurance here. Today was 4 400m runs for time. We did get 4 minutes to recover before each round. I do fine going out....it's the run back that lays me out. There is a sight grade/hill to the place so you are running up that grade on the way in. I suppose you get used to it and the folks who do this often probably think I'm silly but hey...I'm from central and western Ohio...it's flat there. When we go out for a sprint....we expect no surprises in the terrain.

Now, I'm just hungry. Very very hungry. It's going to be one of those days where I'm going to have a hard time reeling that it. I'll just try to stay busy outside.

I"m reading a really interesting book...Gary Taubs Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It. Interesting stuff. It makes sense and fits into the thought process I've had about some of these things...and while reading it I almost felt like thinking well heck...how come I was able to do this...but there are so many variables...I think in the end the take home message is that weight loss and maintenance is a much more complicated thing that simply calories/calories out and that there is no one size fits all program.

The one thing from this that has me a little wigged is the whole estrogen thing. He suggests that lowered estrogen can cause women to gain weight all other things remaining contant. Cripes....just when I got this figured out for maintenance....I'm going to have this to deal with at some point. :^: Anyway, just thought I would share.

Hope everyone had a great Fourth! :beach:

Tejas
07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Absolutely, estrogen is part of the story. As our ovaries quit producing estrogen, the body hangs onto estrogen wherever it can be found. And, it is found in fat. Sorry. :(

I think I'm going to alternate the ebike and elliptical, trying to see how each affects my knee. It is swollen but not as sore as it was. The problem is not just quad strength but the tendons coming from the hamstring, wrapping around the front of the knee. The body is really something :lol:

Shannon in ATL
07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi guys! I have been seriously slack about posting in this thread - sorry. :(

I've been keeping up with my strength training - I just got to the four week mark with my homemade bootcamp and am trying to decide if I'm going to keep the CF style DB workouts for the next four or if I'm going to switch up to a FB workout or something like Stronglifts. I like the cardio benefits of the DB routine, and the fact that I can get it all done in 25ish minutes.

Lydia - glad that you are enjoying crossfit! I'm interested by the book you are reading, I may look it up.

Rhonda - I get a lot less knee impact on the elliptical than I do on the stationary bike, but everyone is different. Hope you figure out something that works for you!

jamsk8r
07-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Hey ladies. :wave:

I had our internet shut off at the house, as they just kept jacking up the price. After 6 or 7 years as a loyal customer, I was not amused! I found I can access it via my blackberry, so I'm trying it out. Hope it doesn't print weird, as it's showing one long line of text on my end.

Not sure when I posted last. I went out for the 50 mile ultra, but it was so hot, about 80 when the hottest I'd trained in was 60, the heat crushed my speed, so I dropped after taking something like 8 hours to crawl 25 miles. Have felt a little lost since then, with ni fitness goals on the horizon. There's the strongman, maybe, but right now there's not even a date set for that yet. I'll need to write some new goals, as it gives my training a focus, but in the mean time I've decided to get my metcon/wod times down where they should be. Lately I have consistently had the slowest times in the whole gym, so I need to drop the weights down to where my times are more in the middle, then up the weight again when my times get too fast.

Last week we did deadlift 1 rep max, and I got 280 and top of the leaderboard for the ladies. Never thought I'd be top of anything on there, to be honest! Today we did back squat and bench 1RM. I PR'd my back squat, for 180, and I got 120 on my bench. Haven't benched much, so no idea if that's any good or not,

Lydia, glad you are enjoying your CF gym!
Rhonda, I missed what happened to your knee(?), but hope it heels up quick.
Shannon, that reminds me, I should put some fun DB stuff in my warm-ups sometimes. I like doing 1 arm snatch, and DB squat cleans. :)

Lydia227
07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Cheryl! :dance:

Nice to see you! 25 miles/8 hours is a long time to keep the body and spirit moving. Very Nice Job! :hug: Sorry about the weather. It is amazing how our bodies adapt to a specific set of conditions and how one tweak of that can make it so much more work for us. In my case....it's grade. If it's not straight out flat, I'm working way too hard. :devil: My consolation in this is that when I do get to run back in Ohio I'm going to be smokin fast! :lol3:

CONGRATULATIONS on your deadlift. Wow! I want to come lift with you! That's awesome. I'm not even going tell you what mine is. :lol3: Actually, it's not even the same experience. We've only done one real strength day where I got to do deads and it was more or less where the coach was very careful about adding weight not to sacrifice form for me. Which is fine. There's time. Oh yes....plenty of time. :goodvibes:

Fitness goals. It is a tough thing to be between goals. Lowering metcon times sounds like a decent goal to me. I'm just trying to see what my baseline is right now. How to pace myself through different workouts, when to go all out and sprint and when to realize this is going on for 20 minutes and the sooner I finish this round the quicker I just go into the next over and over till the clock runs out. Somewhere during the fifth 400m run I realize if I slow down....I can get a break. LOL. Anyway, still just trying to figure this all out.

It's kind of weird to allow someone else to do my programming. I knew this would be hard for me. I think the challenge is that I don't feel like I"m hitting things the same way or as often as I would on my own. Plus, don't know what the next days workout will tap into so I'm hesitant to do more than what is posted. Seriously, I am getting my can kicked during those twenty or thirty minutes but it's different. After I've recovered from that...I still have plenty in the tank for lifts.

I'm 3/4 through Why We Get Fat and STRONGLY suggest those who are even remotely curious about it to read it. I'm someone who relies upon our library system before purchasing a book....I'm buying this book so I can highlight/write notes and put in flags....its that insightful. So there's my endorsement of the week.

Have a great morning everyone. :coffee:

Shannon in ATL
07-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Cheryl - 20 degrees is a serious temperature difference! Don't feel bad about not making the entire distance - 25 miles in that temp had to leave your body worn flat out. Your poor lungs just didn't know what to do, and I imagine you sweated out buckets of water. Fantastic DL! Wow! I have the two DB exercises you mentioned in my current routine - they are fun.

Lydia - sounds like you are enjoying CF! I was wondering how you were doing with the prescribed plan - you have done your own workout planning for so long I know it is a change having a posted plan ready for you.

Good exercise for me the last couple of days. Ran the Peachtree Road Race on Monday - humid and hot on top of humid and hot. Did my DB circuit on Tuesday in my 88 degree garage, didn't have time for cardio with it - the plumber was late so I had to fit in what I could get in. Ran 4 miles yesterday, not quite as hot as it was overcast, but the humidity was through the roof. Have gotten in two days of yoga this week, which is much better than last week's no days of yoga. :dizzy: I have to get back to it - I miss it, and I feel stiff.

jamsk8r
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Lydia, same here, when I started CF, all form, no weight, but once my form was good, they let me add weight. It was hard for me to take at first, too, but I got lucky, with good trainers and the programming is perfect for me and gives me good results. :) Bringing down the metcon times will be tough for me, because it means going light. It's so hard NOT doing the rx weight when I know I could lift it, even though I know it will be a slog, lol. I do want to get the intensity back, though, so I know I just have to do it. Re pacing yourself, my trainer always says he'd rather see us give everything and hit the wall, than pace ourselves. He says you'll get better results that way. Just food for thought! I might take a rest day today, and spend some time catching up at home. That's another one that's hard for me..taking rest days, lol.

Tejas
07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
25 miles in the heat. 280 pound deadlift. Harumph! Good for you Cheryl!! :woohoo:

(My knee problem is patellar tendinitis, with IT bursitis. I'll heal, but I miss the deadlifts.)

You cross fit/runner people have me soooo envious :lol: Oh well, I'm lucky to be able to do what I do, I'm sure.

Lydia227
07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Cheryl: @Pacing, that's what I thought. Okay. I'll give myself permission to go all out and slam down the wall even if it means that I'm sitting down for the last half of the session. I know I'll see improvements in endurance. We did more 400m runs yesterday and I was able to get through five rounds when that seemed impossible two days prior. (The hill put up less of an argument for me too) I know that if I were doing it on my own I would have been finished with two rounds or pushed for three...they got two extra out of me.

Today we did power cleans. First timer here. :wave: Wow. THAT was fun! It took a few lifts for me to get a feel for the movement but then things started to click and I spent less time trying to imitate what I THOUGHT I saw in the demo and more time letting the bar do what it needed to. The first time I got it I stood there with it across my delts wondering how the heck did I get that there?! Yep. Slightly stunned. Great fun though. I'll spend the rest of the afternoon rehearsing that movement so I won't forget. I'm also going to throw more glute activation exercises into my warm ups again. I've kind of slipped from those since I left Columbus and I can tell. I'm still able to snap my hips open but its a little more conscious effort.

Shannon:@programming. Yeah, I knew ahead of time this could be my downfall. But, I just remind myself...I'm here to learn. Right now that's the more important to me than maintaining the hypertrophy I had developed through my own routines. The change is good though. Because I'm not lifting the same routine and going heavy as often the little twitches in the tendons are disappearing. This is certainly a welcomed change and a lesson learned here as well. :yes: It appears you have been crazy busy too. Boy the yoga is so easy to get lost in the shuffle when I'm in a time crunch too. I'm always reminded when I return to class why it's so important. I went for the first time in two weeks today too. I absolutely HAD to be there. I needed the Savasana. :lol3: No really. I needed to incorporate all that I learned today while at CrossFit and decided the best way to do that was racing across town to hit the yoga class at my gym. It was worth the effort.

Rhonda: Knees stink. I'm right there with you. Every time I have to squat down or dip in the knee a little I have to wait for this piece of connective something or other tissue to shift out of the way so I can get comfortable in the spot. Then and only then can I complete the lift/movement. Hope your recovery is a speedy one. :hug:

Mel
07-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Welcome back from the wilderness, Cheryl! Nice DL.

Lydia, have you tried "pose" running? It's a major adjustment in form (and potentially footwear) but it sure makes going uphill a whole lot easier. Our 200m loop is downhill, then uphill. Nothing helps on the downhill, but if learn the form correctly you can chew up the hill on the way up.

I'm in phase 3 of training and need to add 1/2 an hour of interval training 3 times a week to the WODS and extra skills practice that I do. I'm not sure where that time is going to come from since I already get up at 5:15 to make it to work. 4:30 am does NOT sound appealing. Or even possible. Someone kick me in the head if I try to compete ever again :p

Mel

Lydia227
07-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Mel: This commitment sounds insane. I'm incredibly excited for you and the opportunity to compete. You could use a few more hours in the day...or night in order to catch some sleep. I hope everything else is going well for you. You don't need any other distractions right now. Best of luck with your continued training.

I have not tried the pose running method. I'm aware that it exists...watched a few vids but I haven't attempted to use it. I can't run beyond my driveway without either going up or down a hill....Pose running may deserve more consideration.
There is absolutely no way I would prevent you from competing again. Are you kidding me? Not a chance. This is awesome! So excited for you.

Tejas
07-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Mel, sorry to be dense....competing for what? doing what?

Rhonda

Mel
07-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Mel, sorry to be dense....competing for what? doing what?

Rhonda

Rhonda, by some bizarre quirk of fate, I qualified in the Women's Masters Division to Compete in the Crossfit Games (http://games.crossfit.com/)at the end of July in L A. In exactly 3 weeks, I'll be on day 2 of the games.

Tejas
07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Mel, thanks for posting the link. I looked at the videos of Christine and Camille. How exciting this must be for you!

But, I don't think it's a "quirk of fate"! Work, effort, dedication, commitment, passion come to mind before "fate." ;)

Good luck, and let us know if we can watch on line.

Rhonda

Shannon in ATL
07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Mel - I was wondering how you were this weekend with your competition coming up soon. I can't say I would kick you in the head if you planned to compete again, either. You are fantastic! You just need a few more hours in the day! :)

Lydia - I've toyed with pose running, and when I remember to do it I actually like it a lot.

Rhonda - even the name of what is wrong with your knees sounds icky. Sorry honey.

Well, I crossed the 'one too many sets' line in my DB circuit last Thursday - felt a pop in my left shoulder blade in the next to last round, did the last round anyway. Then to make it even better, went ahead and exercised on Sunday with another DB circuit even though it was still a little twingy. Made for an uncomfortable time putting the bra on this morning. Blah.

Good day everyone!

Tejas
07-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Shannon, I hope your shoulder is better today.

Lydia, I bought the book by Gary Taubes. I'll let you know what I think, but it looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lydia227
07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Rhonda: Oh No! I feel responsible for a purchase now. Actually, I'm really enjoying it. What he ends with is information I was pretty much following most of the time or at least leaned toward when deciding what to eat. The difference now is I have a better understanding as to why its effective.

It also gave me a different perspective as to how our bodies select to use food from our diet. And I don't know if you recall how phobic I am about adding fat back into my diet...this book helped me become a little more comfortable with adding things like olive oil and nuts back into my diet. A little...

Tejas
07-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Lydia, I've read about half of it this evening. I'm particularly enjoying the perspective that makes you re-think the common wisdom of calories in-calories out. I'm NOT enjoying thinking about so much carb restriction. But, I understand the point.

I'm not ready to eat only 20 grams of carbs a day, but I do see ways that I can get rid of a lot of them. I've already moved from body weight in grams of carbs to 100 grams of carbs, so I know I can eat fewer.

Shannon in ATL
07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Good morning, good morning. I've had trouble the last couple of days with my AC, had to wait for service guys, didn't sleep well the last two days, blew off my workout yesterday because I was exhausted. Shoulder feels better, though.

Tejas
07-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Shannon, our compressor blew- it took 2 days to get it fixed, then it broke again within an hour of the repairman leaving. Then we were told that it would take 10 days to get a new one. I emailed the real estate agent who sold the house to us because she had recommended these people. I had a new compressor the next day.

It made me so mad. My father was an electrical contractor who also did AC work. I told the agent that I remember that he would go wherever he had to go, do whatever it took, to get people's problems fixed so they wouldn't suffer and it just seemed to me that someone else could do that too. Imagine that!

Glad to hear that the shoulder is better. My knee is not hurting so much, but it is swollen still. The medial area of the knee, both below and above the patella, has been as sore as a boil. The physio said that is the hamstring tendon.

Lydia227
07-14-2011, 10:02 AM
My goodness Rhonda you truly suffering over there. :hug: I'm so sorry this is still swollen. That really seems troublesome. Any idea how long this could take...tendons take a while too.

Getting ready today for guests. Lots to do but it's all happy stuff. Got in three really great workouts this week. I really like that each day's workout is completely different. Kind of like opening up a present each day. Monday's was tabata...box jumps, squats, and handstand pushups (still doing mine off a box) I was so sore on Tuesday I had to take a rest day. Really ripped up my quads. Wednesday was a sweatfest: doubleunders pullups and push presses. Funny thing about double unders. I've been working on these myself for over a year...and Maggie had me doing my first one in less than two minutes. Those people are amazing. It's their technique in cueing.Totally spot on. Today was just fun for me. Front squat and muscle ups. I seriously should have gone heavier on the front squat but I really wanted to focus my efforts on learning the muscle ups. Ahem...it wasn't as fluid as I would like...but it's coming.

Now, I'm just hungry.

Have a great morning everyone.

Tejas
07-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Lydia, however long it takes, it's too long!!! I want my deadlifts! But, the good part is that I can now feel a stronger rush with chest presses :lol: Just gotta get the rush!

Crossfit sounds like fun. I'm going to check out some of the routines and see what I can do.

Shannon in ATL
07-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Nice job on the chest press rush, Rhonda!

Lydia - I can't do double unders to save my life. I've almost fallen flat on my face more times than I can count. :) Congrats on hitting them!

I've been such a slug the last two days. Have to get moving today. Have to have to have to.

Tejas
07-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Shannon....and then there's those OH presses. Oh my, they are great. I can now do 3 sets of 10 at 55 pounds.

My trainer told me that I have "ripped" posterior deltoids. Oh, I'm in love!!

Here's a cute story for everyone:

Yesterday I took my great niece and her almost half-sister (it's complicated) out for the afternoon. They are 7 and 5 years old. The 5- year- old was born in France and she has just returned from a visit there. I asked her if her Dad's parents were still alive and did she see them. She said yes, she saw them but "they are old." I said that they would have to be because they were her Dad's parents. The she says---get ready--"Some old people are still alive." Isn't that just great?? Here's to being old and alive at the same time! :hat:

Tejas
07-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Lydia, I finished the book. Am trying to keep carbs at 100 grams a day. Will see what happens.

Lydia227
07-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Did you enjoy the book? I'm still reading it, I've had friends staying with me from out of town for a few days so my reading has been shelved till later this week. You know, I haven't focused upon grams of carbs taken in daily but just the macro percentage but looking at one of my days online from fitday I saw it was just around 85. Hmmm. This could be interesting.

Okay. I'll finish the book later this week and check back in to see how your week is going with the 100. By the way, what were your thoughts on the book if you don't mind sharing.

Oh. And loved your nieces insight...too funny. Saw it the other day but really only had time to peek into the forum at that time.

:cheers: Here's to delts.

jamsk8r
07-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Anybody seen Mel? My friend Lisa Long will be at the games in Masters, too. I told her. My friend from online was going, too, and she said to say hi if you get a chance. I told her I wasn't sure what your real name might be, so you would just have to introduce yourself if you want to. Lisa is on the gym cleaning crew with me, and is awesome, super nice. If you introduce yourself, you'd have a cheering section if you need one!

A bunch of us did the Warrior Dash here in WA. It was very well run, and a lot of fun. Great mud and obstacles! We didn't try to race, just stayed together, which was fun.

Did I say already, that I finally got a 1-arm overhead squat? Only with the 15 pound bar, but with my tight shoulders, it was a big moment for me, lol!

I'm scaling wods right now, and am starting to see improvements in my sprints and ability to keep the intensity higher. It's still a butt-kicking, just in a different way.

Strongman isn't scheduled till November now. I still need some goals or a plan for what to do till it's time to focus on strongman training. Asked my trainer tonight if he would help me come up with something. I have to have goals or I just feel a bit..meh. Not sure if I should drop weight now, or not. Want to stay unlimited for strongman, and want that 300 deadlift if I can get it this year. Another question for the trainer. :)

jamsk8r
07-20-2011, 03:59 AM
PS to Mel, re training. Not sure if it helps, but Lisa's been doing the regular wod in the morning before work, the coming back what evenings she can for some skill work or an extra wod here and there. You can only do what you can, then go out and have fun. It should be fun, just IMO.

shannon, glad the shoulder is okay. We did squat cleans last night, thought I might have tweaked something on one when my elbows were moving in slow-mo. Feels okay today, but it reminded me to be more careful!

Rhonda, hope you can deadlift soon. How about single leg deads with a kettlebell? Those are pretty good. Not quite the same fun as a barbell, but you can work the good leg, and get some crosstraining effect for the other one.

Tejas
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Lydia: I just looked up double unders. I won't be doing those! Those look like a lot of fun to do. Enjoy.

Now, about the book. As I said above, I really enjoy the perspective of trying to find the story behind the story. This is called "critical public health" in my former academic circles. I like that he talks about the European researchers' approach, but he doesn't say why they lost influence which really interests me. I wonder if they were lost in the Holocaust and related horrors. Or, it could be that the ones who came to the US just got swallowed up in our different approach. Both of those happened to European social scientists, that I know.

I like that he also asks (not pointedly enough for me) who benefits from the approach we are taking in the US. I'd be willing to bet that there are some Masters and PhD theses on this topic. A question would be about the timing/connection between the US emphasizing grains in nutrition and the political decisions to subsidize grains/agriculture. He does mention it, but I'd bet there is a lot to it. I'm not suggesting that the government decides to subsidize grain growers and then instructs public health on its approach. But, things happen :lol:

I've also been reading the Daily Apple site. I read yesterday that there are people who claim to eat meat only. I can't imagine that as a way of life, but they are claiming to feel great and have a lot of energy. I won't be trying that- not even all organic :lol:

I believe that there needs to be more exploration of pollutants, especially in the water, and the obesity epidemic, and have read that those are underway. Hormones in the water have affected young girls' breast development for sure.

More individually, I'm not finding it too difficult to stick to 100 carbs. I've lost 2 pounds in less than a week and if that sticks, I'll change the ticker. I've changed only the carb level.

Cheryl: I am doing single leg deadlifts with a KB, body weight squats, leg presses and various things. The orthopedist said NO bending the knees more than 45* I'm trying to maintain the strength, but know that I'll lose some. I'm seelng the massage therapist today to see if she can do anything about the swelling.

I just drool at being able to get back to deadlifts. 300 pounds?! I'm living that, vicariously :lol3: And, congratulations on the one-arm squat! I just looked at those on-line. I don't see too many people doing those at the gym.

Shannon in ATL
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Rhonda - funny comments from your niece. Kids entertain me. :) How goes the carb adventure?

Cheryl - wow, 1 arm OH? I can barely do an OH press with both arms. Ick.

I started a FB workout again yesterday, hope to do it three days per week. Though, I like the calorie burn of the CF-ish db circuits, so might not stick to the slower paced workout for long... Running today, but the rain has moved me in to the treadmill.

I thought about a Warrior Dash, they had one on my birthday down here, but just couldn't do it. Obviously, I run inside from some rain, the warrior dash would kill me. I such a baby. :)

Shannon in ATL
07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey Cheryl, what did you do to open up your shoulders? My right one is seriously more tight than my left, even though my right arm is the stronger one.

jamsk8r
07-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Shannon, part of it was just crossfit: overhead squats, snatches, and just the variety overall, has helped balance out the musculature, especially getting my back and lats strong enough to outpull my pecs...I used to have a decided imbalance and a slump to my posture...just having the muscle development to pull the shoulderblades together, or pull that arm up and back..that helps a lot. I also use a pvc pipe to do shoulder pass-thrus every warm-up, and usually include overhead squats and/or a Bergener warm-up for snatch during that same time with the pvc. It starts the process. Then I do some stretches with the resistance band toward the end of my warm-up. Check out Mobility Wod (google it) for those.

nelie
07-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I've been a little lost lately in terms of what to do with my workouts. Crossfit was easy in terms of determining what to do. My workouts havent really had a purpose and they haven't been all that regular. I decided to attempt Starting Strength and did my first workout today. That and walking and whatever else should keep me honest. I'm also getting my food under control again which is always a good thing.

I just ordered some bumper plates as I need some weights if I'm going to do this. I figured I might as well get some that won't kill our floor or the weights in case they are dropped..

jamsk8r
07-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Nelie, I love the bumpers, too, but just know they can break a floor, too. Dropped a 135 deadlift just from the waist and left two nice divets in my bedroom floor. It's carpet and pad over what I was told was concrete. Haven't looked for myself, since the carpet's still good, but I do all my weight dropping on the patio or the grass now, lol!

nelie
07-24-2011, 09:27 AM
I figured they could do damage and I basically have the same setup, carpet over concrete. I've never been a weight dropper but figure it is just in case.

Mel
07-24-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm still here :)
I leave Wednesday morning for the CrossFit Games in LA. Cheryl, I'll try to find your friend. She must be in a different Masters Division, since I don't recognize her name. ah, I found her on the athlete list (http://games.crossfit.com/finals/competitors/female/masters). I'm on there in the Mid-Atlantic region (Melanie).

I've been doing a WOD, a conditioning WOD, and skills work every day, with one rest day, and one short day. Today my WOD was entertaining the neighborhood kids at the pool by swimming 2 laps, then 20 kettle bell swings times 5. Lots of staring. I've still lots of "goats" but hopefully they are goats for most women my age, or I'm better a some things. I'd be thrilled if I only had to run, do dead lifts, snatches, squat cleans and push ups. Basically anything with a barbell and no pull up bar makes me happy! OK, double unders are another sore spot.

Shannon- pass throughs and orbit with pvc pipe or a broom stick work wonders on tight shoulders.

Hope everyone is staying cool!

nelie
07-25-2011, 10:21 AM
We are rooting for you Mel!

I am feeling good about my workout plans. I'm going to try to fit in running with Starting Strength. We'll see how well that goes. Today is my second SS workout. I've been reading through the book but it is a lot to digest.

jamsk8r
07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Good luck, Mel! Hear they are spreading Masters over all 3 days this time, and have announced Fri and Sat's wods.

Shannon, good luck with the shoulders. Mobility ain't for sissies, and it's a constant battle for me. I've seen improvement most when I work at it daily. Some liniment and foam rolling doesn't hurt, either, after a wod and/or at the end of the day.

Nelie, let us know how you like SS. My trainer has me on light weights and gymnastics right now, except for when the wod is a max lift, about once a week. I'm struggling with motivation, but trying to stick it out. I trust my trainer, know he'll do what's best for me, but I hate bodyweight and light weight lifting!

Tejas
07-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Cheryl, I hear you!! I'm going crazy with the rehab of my patellar tendinitis. CRAZY!!! I see the orthopedist in two weeks and am hoping to be allowed to go back to real weights.

In the meantime, I'm now doing seated OH presses at 55 pounds- 3 sets of 12 and other upper body things. I like these presses.

I watched the highlights of the 2010 Crossfit and for the first time in my life wished I were younger and had been doing this for decades. Oh well.

I looked at the SS website and noticed that there is going to be a seminar very close to where I live. It is of course very pricey, and I imagine the participants are much more advanced than I am.

Shannon in ATL
07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Go Mel!!! Woo hoo! Hey, when you say 'shoulder orbit' is that what it sounds like? Just rotate the arm around from front to back like the moon orbiting the sun?

Thanks for the shoulder tips everyone. I used to do pvc pass-throughs pretty religiously every day and haven't in a while. I need to get back into that.

nelie
07-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Tejas, the website and wiki for Starting Strength are useful but I have the book which let me tell you is a wealth of knowledge. I skimmed to get the workouts but went back to read more about form and tweaks.

Recently, I was reading about someone who did Crossfit for less than a year, did a Starting Strength seminar, got herself an Olympic lifting coach and started competing a few months later. I'd consider the seminar if it was closer although there are some Olympic lifting coaches in my area as well.

Tejas
07-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks, Nelie. I don't see myself ever competing, but I would like to go to 2 or 3 day seminar/workshop just to learn more. Perhaps I can do something like that later when I know more about my knee's rehabilitation.

Rhonda

nelie
07-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Today my bumper plates came in! So excited to do my deadlifts with them. Had a good workout of squats, bench press and deadlifts.

Lydia227
07-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Nelie you must have a kickin' home gym. :goodvibes:

Decided I just wasn't into another metcon after the tabatas yesterday and did my own workout at the local gym today. Interesting observation...I was able to run a whole lot faster and longer on the dreadmill than before so obviously the Crossfit training is making a difference. However, all I could do for legs in strength was four sets of 8 in deadlifts and I was cooked. Sigh. Honestly, it was really meant to be a recovery kind of workout anyway so I'm chalking this one up to a need to rest from yesterday. But still...meh.

Lydia227
07-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Did my first Push Jerk today. :rofl: My coach has the patience of a saint. It wasn't lookin' good for me the first fifteen minutes. Everything was wrong. Everything. It was only through a process of breaking it down into each and every section that I was able to get this together. In the end I'm proud to say I can do this and with 75# as well. :goodvibes: I got with 85 but it wasn't as clean and I was pretty whipped at that point.

Yeah, I'll be practicing that movement all weekend with the 18# bar I keep in my pantry. :lol: The cool thing is once I figured it out, I really really got. But wow, that one was a tough one for me to tease out. :dizzy:

nelie
07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
go Lydia :) You'll get it in no time and you'll be pushing 100# and more :)

One thing I found about learning a push press was that whenever a press gets hard, it seems to turn into a push press :) It is like "hey I can get this weight up, just let me use my knees". I have to conscientiously avoid doing that.

Lydia227
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Exactly! That was one of the mysteries I had to unravel...the difference between the push press and the push jerk. I didn't even realize that I was doing it when it was happening. Then I started thinking too much about the whole movement and it all began to fall apart and I just started all over again with practicing the movement with no weight. After rewiring my movement pattern I was finally able to get it right. Now, I'm totally spent. (I did do an hour and half of yoga at another gym immediately after and only had berries and half a container of greek yogurt at 6:30am before I left.) Tail is draggin' now. :faint:

I'll just hang out and watch for Mel's scores this afternoon. I've got nothing left in the tank for today. :D

Tejas
07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I had to look that up on-line. Congratulations!

I've done only the OH press, standing and sitting. I'll have to give that a try.

Tejas
07-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Anybody know Mel's number at the games. I've been watching but can't identify her exactly....

jamsk8r
07-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Anybody have a Mel update? Haven't been able to watch the video yet.

nelie
07-31-2011, 09:02 AM
I saw her Facebook which said she came to the games at #19 and is leaving at #18 and that was last night. I wasn't sure what that meant because I thought there were Sunday games?

DietVet
07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone! I'm going to start posting in this thread. :)

I'm currently finishing up stage 1 of NROLW and loving it. Yesterday I my 3x8 deadlifts with 125lb. Yay!

I also watched a bunch of the Crossfit games yesterday. They are nuts! Congrats to Mel to making it there!

(p.s. I used to hang around here alot a few years ago with a different name and I remember lots of you--Mel, Nelie, Lydia--from then. I'm incognito but it's nice to see you all again. Where's Meg??)

Tejas
07-31-2011, 03:21 PM
I watched a lot of the events. Wow. I think I won't be doing that, but admiring those of you who can. I can do some of those exercises, but those pull-ups and muscle ups! Are you crazy :lol3:

jamsk8r
07-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks Nelie, and congratulations, Mel! :celebrate:

DietVet, welcome! Nice job on the deadlifts...those are still probably my favorite lift, any day of the week.

Lydia227
07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
:cheer: Yay Mel :cheer:

You were awesome! This must have been an amazing experience. I can't imagine doing these types of workouts three days in a row at that kind of intensity. What did you ladies do for recovery after each workout during the games? How long did you sleep after Sunday's workout. :devil: Hope it was as much fun as it was work. :D

Hi DietVet. :wave: Another deadlifter here too. You're in good company. Welcome back and enjoy those workouts.

Tejas
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Dietvet, I love those deadlifts too. I'm benched, temporarily I hope, with patellar tendinitis. (Has anyone noticed that sometime it is spelled "tendonitis"? I wonder which is preferred?)

Mel, just amazing. Congratulations!!

silverbirch
08-01-2011, 03:55 AM
patellar tendinitis. (Has anyone noticed that sometime it is spelled "tendonitis"? I wonder which is preferred?)

Tendonitis because it's to do with a tendon! The other is a mis-spelling.

:wave: Dietvet! Did we meet in a previous time?

Tejas
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Silverbirch...one would think it should be "tendon..." but the Mayo Clinic site spells it "tendin.." :shrug:

silverbirch
08-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Tejas - tendonitis in British English but both elsewhere, it seems. Tendonitis.com. Don't agree with Wikipedia (tendinitis, informally tendonitis).

But spelling aside - how long are you sidelined with this thing? So frustrating! I am just getting back into running after months rehabbing my knee, leg, bottom, core. Don't ask about my weight.

Lydia227
08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I've seen it spelled both ways in my NASM books as well. Within the same paragraph...go figure.

Crazy achey this morning. Just finished the WOD: 3 rounds of 15 front squats and 400 meter runs. I have GOT to learn not to go all out on that first run out of the box. Grrrrr. I NEVER recover and while I may be the first one out and down the first 200 meter that 200 meter back I'm dying! and the whole world can run past me. The second round of front squats after that run were tough. The third round I didn't even think I was going to finish the squats but I kept thinking about Mel and got through it. No way was I going to give up and put that thing down till I hit 15 the third run out following was fine...I went at my own pace I was the last to clock in but it's okay. At the end of the day, I'm still getting what I came for...a good workout. Freaking hungry now and just about to hit the wall.

Funny thing is the rest of my day isn't any less busy. Oh banana, browning so nicely in my fruit bowl...can I eat you now? Meh, too many carbs. :lol3:

Tejas
08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Silverbirch: I see the orthopedist a week from Friday. Then I'll know. It's not hurting, but then again, I'm not doing much LB work either.

Lydia, what weight on the front squats? 45? Half of the banana, perhaps?

We need a new thread for August, but I can't think of a title!