Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default Help with weight "training"?

Hi all,

I am not new to 3FC nor am I new to re-starting at the gym. But hey, at least I am trying it again, right?

Anyway, I've got 18 visits left at the gym and I want to use them up. Sadly, because I bought them "per visit," it doesn't include talking with a trainer or the fabulous FitLinxx program they have.

So my question to you is, what should I start out with for my gym routine? Yesterday, I did 35 mins on the elliptical (burning about 300-400 cals) then felt so lost. Plus, I want to be sure I am getting in at least an hour per visit. I wound up doing some leg presses (3 reps of 12 at 130 lbs) and just leaving. I want to use the weight machines but it's so intimidating.

Any advice would be appreciated!

PS - once my 18 are up, I am going to be re-signing up with a regular membership to get the FitLinxx!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #2  

You were off to a good start with the leg presses and cardio! So sad that you can't ask a trainer for help. What a dumb policy.

Here's some general info...Cardio will burn calories, but so will lifting. But do what you like to do. It sounds like you're interested in weights. If so, here's some basic principles:

Overload. You have to fatigue the muscle for it to grow.
Frequency. 3 sets of 10 reps with a minute of rest in between sets. 48 hours of rest for the muscle group you worked before next work out. Cardio in between is fine.
Progression. Start with a weight you can lift 15-20 times to train your body and stabilizers. Once you can do the movement without being wobbly, you are ready to progress to heavier weight that you can lift no more than 10-12 times.
Progression part 2. Always work your larger muscles before the smaller ones. For instance, do leg presses first, do calves last. Try to start out with movements that use groups of muscles before working individual ones. The reason is, the little muscles support the larger ones. If you fatigue the small ones first, they won't be strong enough to support the weight your larger muscles can lift. This can lead to under training or injury.

Read the directions. Machines have pictures and text to show how to use them. It's OK to read it. You'd look stupid if you didn't.

Don't be afraid of dumbbells and free weights. Watch others since you can't get the help of a trainer (again - DUMB policy!!!) Many people would be happy to show you proper form.

That's just the basics, but you're off to a good start! The only limit you have is all in your head. You can do this. It's not rocket science, right?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 216/189/150

Height: 5'6"

I get why you can't ask a trainer for advice, but I'd think you could ask one of the gym employees for general information about the machines. After all, if you use it improperly and hurt yourself, they could be liable.
gsb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I don't think gyms are liable because you sign a waiver... our gym, I've heard, won't even take new members unless you do at least one session with a trainer...

What I did when I first started, 25 years ago, was to find a gym member who I see regularly and start asking them a couple of questions about form and machines etc... with the internet now, you can Google anything and everything and find routines and videos on form and exercises...

Good luck, you can ask us any other specific questions if you want too...

After the leg press you could have used the leg curl and leg extension machine and you would have been done your lower body... usually 3 set of 10-12 reps.... next day do uper body, some chest, back, shoulders and arms... 2 or 3 exercises of each with the same amount of sets and reps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Current: 252/238/199

Height: 170 cm

Hi. I started at a similiar weight to you, and I vary it. some days I do cardio, other days I do cardio first and then resistance training. I usually start out on the cross / elliptical trainer, I can do anyhwere from 15 minutes warm up, to staying on it fo 2 hours if it isnt busy there and nobody requires the machine. sometimes I do a 2km jog/walk on the threadmill, have that below 12 minutes. and then i encorporate resistance equipment. On a big day I will do cardio for like 30 minutes (Usually cross trainer or treahmill and cross trainer) then do 2 sets of 20 reps on about 8-9 resistance equipment, hamstring and quad curls, calf extensions, shoulder press, tricep and bicep pulls/extensions etc. Then go back do cardio and then do 2 more sets of 20 reps of each (Thats my 2 hour program) if its only an hour - 1.5 hours I just cut the resistance in half, and do 2 sets of 20 reps of the resistance equipment. If you require further information just let me know. Ohh and maybe "talking to a a trainer" is about a a program, I am sure if you ask how to use this or that equipment, and ask how many etc you should do he will basically tell you what you need to know, as it is in their interest that you use the equipment properly and safely.
irishlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #6  

Thanks for the empowerment! I think I am going to ask when I go back. Though I discovered yesterday my new found love for swimming! Which will be a perfect way to use up some of my visits and I can alternate between gym days and pool days (same place, different routine). Maybe I can convince them to let me use the FitLinxx!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I've got just one thing to add, about being intimidated...

I mean this with support and humor: get over it!

You have as much a right as anyone to be there. Just be brave, you'll never regret it.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #8  

Thanks Tejas!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/156.0/145

Height: 5'7''

I put in my information at freetrainers.com and it gave me a personalized plan that has been super effective so far. I would give that a try.
AnonymouslyYours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #10  
Wishful shrinking

S/C/G: 266/235/160

Remember, you are doing this for you, nobody else. Ask questions and don't be afraid to just try the machines. Who cares if you look silly at first, we all had to learn somewhere
barbaramatafeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #11  
Amazing will be me

The only advice i can give you is the programme im currently following with my partner

40mins cardio..........which usually means 10mins on each machine but to day i split it between 3

then we do another 30-40mins weights,
MY partner keeps me right on the weight side of things as its his area but from my understanding we train a different muscle group each session. I dont know the terminology but yesterday we trained our biceps etc and today was back and chest.
Then next session well do our other arm muscles (duno what there called) and then next session our legs and shoulders.

Doing 4 different types of exercises on each muscle group and each exercise you do 4 sets of 12 on a manageable weight , my BF is building so he increases his weights but for me for toaning i stay at a low managable weight.

there are lots of helpful videos on you tube if your stuck for techniques HTH
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote