Weight and Resistance Training - Pyramid Training?

View Full Version : Pyramid Training?

bellastarr
07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I took a class at the Y last week where the instructor had us do pyramid training.... we focused on all different muscles... biceps, triceps, shoulders, etc...

she had us get three sets of weights, light, medium, and heavy and we did 12 reps of light, 10 medium, 8 heavy, then 10 medium again, and 12 light.

my arms were killing me the next day which made me think pyramid lifting is more effective than doing just three sets at the same weight

so i need to know from people who know (cause i'm clueless) will this get results faster than just doing like 3 sets at a heavy weight?

i really want toned arms!

thanks in advance

silverbirch
07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Bella - I don't know the answer to this but I'm guessing that pyramids are more efficient.

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable will be along soon. This is the time of year when arms are on display. :)

Lydia227
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Pyramid training is effective in taking the muscles to fatigue. It's helpful in the development of both endurance and strength. I hesitate to say it's superior because everything works for a while. The key is to have different methods to approach your training because eventually your body will adapt and will need a new approach/stimulus for a continued growth response.

The drawback to pyramid training, at least in my opinion, is that I always have to switch out weights or I feel like I"m monopolizing three sets of weights when I'm at the gym. Obviously in a class where there are a lot of dumb bells this is not a problem. Gets interesting in a crowded weight room though.

Probably what you really want to know is...Will this method give me some hypertrophy...Yes. :yes: Yes it will.

Silver: Indeed it is that time of year. :cool:

fitness4life
07-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Lydia, as always, I totally agree with what you wrote.

silverbirch
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes, yes. Me too. I agree with you, Lydia.

(Have you seen that woman's arms??) :lol3:

bellastarr
07-05-2011, 06:37 PM
thank you for answering my question! i know weights are so good for you but i always seem to give up on them cuz 1. i don't know if i'm doing it correctly and 2. i don't seem to get results. i am going to really be committed this summer and try doing the pyramid three times a week