Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

Default is walking at an incline same as running?

I hate running but have read that walking at an incline doing intervals is almost the same as running. Thoughts?

I currently do 45 minutes on the treadmill, my "rest/recovery" is 2 minutes at 13.5 incline and 4.4 speed.... then i do 2 minutes at 15 incline (the highest it will go) and i walk at 4.6 or 4.7 and then go back to the 13.5 and 4.4

I have been doing this for a few months and it seems to be working but i want to challenge myself more.. like i said level 15 is the highest incline the treadmill will go and 4.7 is FAST for walking, i used to be able to run but i just cannot do any more than 1 mile.

Any workout routines/advice wd be appreciated.
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #2  

Yes, walking at an incline is just as good! You are burning calories, challenging your leg muscles coz incline is harder that flat, and I'm pretty sure you are gonna be breathing heavy!

Fat cells provide energy. The chemical process begins when oxygen (breathing heavy) hits your fat cells, releasing the energy to keep you moving. The blood in your veins carries out the waste product after the chemical reaction (of sorts). Eventually, though, your body adapts to the challenge of exercise. It becomes more efficient, needing less oxygen to do the same amount of work. This means, you need less energy from your fat cells to walk that incline, so, you do the same amount of work and actually lose less fat than previously.

This is what most refer to as a "plateau".

What to do about that? Make your body work more.

How? probably, start running. Eventually.

You can also do weight/interval training in a manner that increases your oxygen uptake. Not only do you burn the same amount of calories as running, you change your body composition to require more calories just to maintain the muscle (i.e. metabolism) and add to it that your body continues to burn calories in the hour after lifting in recovery.

So don't think you are going to have to be strapped to a treadmill forever. There are many many ways to challenge the bod. I recommend, when you're ready, to do anything and everything to do so. Just make sure you like it.

That's key. Do what you like. So long as you're moving.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote