General chatter - Whatcha Readin' July 2011

View Full Version : Whatcha Readin' July 2011

ANOther
07-02-2011, 05:24 PM
What, it's July 2 and nobody's started a Whatcha Readin' thread for this month yet??

Still on The South Lawn Plot by Ray O'Hanlon

CanadianCutie
07-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I have about 100 pages to go on Soulless by Gail Carriger. I'm finding it very amusing.

Sunshine87
07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
The Confession by John Grisham...almost done and it is excellent

bennaloe
07-02-2011, 06:31 PM
The Hunger Games Trilogy...again:) Then I will be re-reading The Passage.

Smiling_Sara
07-02-2011, 09:26 PM
What, it's July 2 and nobody's started a Whatcha Readin' thread for this month yet??

Still on The South Lawn Plot by Ray O'Hanlon

Wow, July came into 2011 and I didn't even realize it. Guess I'm busier than I think. :dizzy: Thank you so much for starting the July thread ANOther!!

Anyway, from the June thread:

I was actually able to rent out a kindle from the library that had about 8 pages of books. Most I"m not interested in, but I wanted to play with a kindle and see if I want one or not-I DO!!!

Anyway, I started reading The Help that was loaded on it, and it's been really good!

effie12
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM
BornToFly, I'm reading the Help too!

I'm also fighting my way through Suite Francaise, in French.

FrouFrou
07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
She's Come Undone...Wally Lamb, still working on it.

MiZTaCCen
07-04-2011, 08:53 AM
A wayward Angel, the full story of the ****'s angels by George Wethern & Vincent Colnet.

haha If it's not self help books or vampire books I'm reading it's true crime. :)

Clydegirl
07-04-2011, 09:40 AM
"Lucky" by Alice Sebold.

Very well written about the brutal rape and the court case she went through as a freshman in college.

Smiling_Sara
07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
"Lucky" by Alice Sebold.

Very well written about the brutal rape and the court case she went through as a freshman in college.

I read this a few years ago. Good book, well written, I could never read it again though. Terrible what she went through.

Aunty Jam
07-05-2011, 12:36 AM
I read The Help last month and loved it. Hard to believe those things happened not so long ago.

Hubby gave me a Kobol for my bday at the end of June and it has a bunch of classics loaded on it so I started reading Uncle Tom's Cabin because a friend of mine always told me how much she liked it. I can see why it's a classic, it is so hard to put down but there is so much of it I find horribly disturbing.

I'm going to have to pick a happier topic for my next book.

alinnell
07-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Just finished Slaughterhouse Five (http://www.amazon.com/Slaughterhouse-Five-Novel-Kurt-Vonnegut/dp/0385333846/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309882842&sr=1-1) and started Skippy Dies (http://www.amazon.com/Skippy-Dies-Novel-Paul-Murray/dp/0865478619/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309882873&sr=1-1).

gsb126
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I read The Help over Memorial Day weekend, and loved it! Was also fortunate enough to get to see a free screening of the movie, due out in the states in August. If you like the book, definitely see the movie.

Currently reading the "Prey" series by John Sanford. The Hunger Games are on the list, too.

Clydegirl
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I just started "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.

queenofthehouse
07-07-2011, 03:08 PM
"Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. It's disturbing. Right up my alley! :D

pnkrckpixikat
07-09-2011, 04:53 AM
I've been reading the In Death series by Nora Roberts as J.D. Robb

before that I was reading Feed and then Deadline by Mira Grant... anyone into zombies will likely LOVE these books.

FrouFrou
07-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Still trying to finish She's Come Undone...go thru periods of reading a lot to trying to get thru a book. Not that it's a bad book, I do like it, just trying to stay focused on the reading.

ANOther
07-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Buffalo West Wing by Julie Hyzy

Clydegirl
07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm reading "The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn".

JessyV
07-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Just finished reading the new Southern Vampire/ True Blood book. Don't know what I'm in the mood to read now..:)

CanadianCutie
07-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton now for fun, and rereading The Great Gatsby for an online book club I'm in.

FrouFrou
07-15-2011, 04:37 AM
FINALLY! Finished She's Come Undone...almost done with Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich

k15g15
07-15-2011, 01:20 PM
"Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. It's disturbing. Right up my alley! :D

I Love Augusten Burroughs! Read his book, Dry, if you can, it's disturbing and dark too!

I just finished Hope's Boy.

JMfan
07-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Book 2 of the "Queen Betsy" series by MaryJanice Dickenson called "Undead and Unemployed". Funny stuff.

mamakat
07-16-2011, 11:16 AM
For a quick read I got a book called "Big Girl" by Danielle Steel. On other days when no one is bothering me, I'm reading a book by Robin Cook...he's very medical in his writing so I need stay focused.

Big girl was almost like reading my diary....:lol:

FrouFrou
07-16-2011, 02:19 PM
I've not read the book Running With Scissors but did see the movie and I liked it. If I see a movie before reading a book that is a movie I won't read the book. For me I've found the books are usually better and then Iam disappointed with the movie or vice versa. I did just get Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs and there are couple more I plan to get eventually.

Anyway...finshed Plum Spooky early this morning and started Rosie Dunne by Cecelia Ahern...not sure if I will like this...don't care for the style of writing.

Ferumbras
07-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Thus far in July I've read/am reading:

Fat is a Feminist Issue by Orbach
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Demick
Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Ehrenreich
Unnatural Selection: Choosing Boys over Girls, and the Consequences of a World Full of Men by Hvistendahl
The Red Market: On the Trail of the World's Organ Brokers, Bone Thieves, Blood Farmers, and Child Traffickers by Carney

I also listen to a lot of audio books. So far, it's been:
The History of the World in Six Glasses by Standage
Wyrd Sisters by Pratchett
Reaper Man by Pratchett
Sex at Dawn by Ryan
The Guns of August by Tuchmann

Scarlett
07-17-2011, 02:57 PM
I've been reading the Harry Potter books.

I read the first two when they first came out YEARS ago. I recently decided I wanted to read the whole series.

I re-read the first two and remembered practically nothing. I've now just started the 4th one, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

mysticshaz
07-17-2011, 04:23 PM
the time travellers wife by audery niffenger

am really enjoying it

Heleninedinburgh
07-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Ferumbras, how is 'fat is a feminist issue' - my brother's girlfriend (now his wife) was telling me that it's an amazing book, and it gives you control and teaches you to love food again instead of using it to reward, punish, yourself. she also said it gave her self esteem a boost (she's stunning, it's weird when gorgeous people have low self esteem)

but was thinking of reading it

just finished 'one day' which was lovely but made me very sad, I'm currently reading a book about the history of the manhattan project, just because I have gaps in my education and I want to fill them and learn stuff about history.

Ferumbras
07-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Helen: I have mixed reactions to FIFI. I think there are a lot of good points made, but many of them don't feel new to me. There are also a lot of assumptions about women made on the part of the author with which I disagree. On the whole, I agree with the book's primary message, but view the text as a frozen moment showcasing second-wave feminism.

Clydegirl
07-18-2011, 09:42 AM
the time travellers wife by audery niffenger

am really enjoying it

I loved this book.

I'm going to read it again. It's on my to do list this summer.

Beach Patrol
07-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Eat, Pray, Love - which, to my happiness, is a good book. I really didn't think I would like it, but it is "speaking to me" - I'm love'n it!

Clydegirl
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Eat, Pray, Love - which, to my happiness, is a good book. I really didn't think I would like it, but it is "speaking to me" - I'm love'n it!

I loved the book. Wanted to go to Italy and eat the wonderful food.

Bellamack
07-18-2011, 11:41 AM
FINALLY! Finished She's Come Undone...almost done with Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich

Have read "one for the money" & "two for the dough" and am on number 3, Janet is a rip!

claire0412
07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Eric Hobsbawm, Globalisation, Democracy and Terrorism. I'm reading it for my Master's exam but it doesn't seem like a chore. Really good book, as usual from Hobsbawm. I don't agree with everything he says, but it got me thinking!

mysticshaz
07-18-2011, 04:01 PM
I loved this book.

I'm going to read it again. It's on my to do list this summer.

cant believe i have had it sat on my to read pile for over a year lol, not sure if i want to watch the film afterwards though films= never as good as the book in most cases.

much love

shaz

ANOther
07-18-2011, 04:38 PM
****'s Corner by David Baldacci

maita88
07-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have a good murder mystery to recommend? I'm taking a summer class and I need something besides microecon to read!

maita88
07-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Just finished reading the new Southern Vampire/ True Blood book.

How did you like it? I think I was a little disappointed. I expected more to happen, i guess.

alinnell
07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have a good murder mystery to recommend? I'm taking a summer class and I need something besides microecon to read!

Have you ever read anything by Lisa Gardner? I picked up her latest--Love you More and fell in love. I've since read 4 more and will be downloading a few more when we leave for vacation. She has a series of DD Warren (detective) stories--those are what I've read so far. The others I think are all stand alone books. I didn't read the series in order, although I kind of wish I had as they're loosely joined with recurring characters.

chickadee32
07-18-2011, 11:47 PM
cant believe i have had it sat on my to read pile for over a year lol, not sure if i want to watch the film afterwards though films= never as good as the book in most cases.

I agree that the movies are almost never as good, but sometimes they're still worth watching. This one was not. It was awful in comparison to the book - which I absolutely loved. Don't bother with the movie at all. :)

I just finished reading Private Life by Jane Smiley. It was very good and is definitely worth reading, but it couldn't quite compare to A Thousand Acres (which I read 15+ years ago but is still one of my favorite books).

Also read K2: Triumph and Tragedy by Jim Curran, which is about the 1986 climbing season on K2 during which 13 climbers died. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it was quite good.

chickadee32
07-18-2011, 11:56 PM

Have you read either Sharp Objects or Dark Places by Gillian Flynn? Both are good, though Sharp Objects is creepier. :)

maita88
07-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Have you ever read anything by Lisa Gardner? I picked up her latest--Love you More and fell in love. I've since read 4 more and will be downloading a few more when we leave for vacation. She has a series of DD Warren (detective) stories--those are what I've read so far. The others I think are all stand alone books. I didn't read the series in order, although I kind of wish I had as they're loosely joined with recurring characters.

I don't think I've ever heard of her. I'll have to check them out the next time I go to the library. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

chickadee: I love creepy books, i'll definitely have to look for them too!

Ferumbras
07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Just started The Duck that Won the Lottery: 100 New Experiments from the Armchair Philosopher by Baggini. I loved The Pig that Wants to be Eaten when I read it a few years ago.

Nola Celeste
07-19-2011, 04:48 PM
I can't be the only one here who's recently finished George R. R. Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" that came out on July 12. Now that it's been out a week, I think it's time to give it its second reading. :D

Loved the book, but HATED that he put in a couple of "cliffhangers" that will leave us dangling for years. My arms are already tired from the last five years of hanging, Mr. Martin! You don't need to end with a cliffhanger; I promise, I will always buy your books even if you wrap each one up in a nice neat package.

Abigail207
07-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I just finished reading "Partners" by Grace Livingston Hill and now I am reading "Rose Galbraith" also by Grace Livingston Hill.

abluvion
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
A couple nights ago I finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Vergese. I really, really liked it.

I now have two books at my bedside - working through Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and trying to get into The Cider House Rules.

MissAkward
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I am reading "Thinner Than Thou" by Kit Reeds. Pretty good so far..about half way in. :)

alinnell
07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
A couple nights ago I finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Vergese. I really, really liked it.

That is a book that I've been thinking about getting. Thanks for saying you liked it!

FrouFrou
07-22-2011, 01:59 AM
BELLAMACK...I didn't get into the Numbers until Number 7. At the time I hadn't been reading much at all and happened upon that book in the bookstore while on vacation...bought it, read it and have read everyone since, well, haven't gotten #17 yet.

Just finished reading Rosie Dunne by Cecelia Ahern, it was okay. Now reading Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs.

I agree about Lisa Gardner...good series. Also Catherine Coulter is good, the FBI series. James Patterson has some good murder ones as well.

TurboMammoth
07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
I bought Sisterhood : Everlasting as my beach book for my vacations. I was a fan of the Sisterhood of the travelling pants in the past, can't wait to see the ''10 years later'' version :)

Ambrosia
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Reading Grave Peril, book three in Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. Nice to see another ASOAI fan here. I just finished reading book one. With the huge gaps in between book releases, I am taking my time reading that series.

nikkinouille
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

patchymama
07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

fuct
07-26-2011, 06:06 PM
The Green Mile by Stephen King

chickadee32
07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
and trying to get into The Cider House Rules.

Ahh, a good book, but not Irving's best. Have you read any of his other novels? A Prayer for Owen Meany is probably one of my top 3 all time favorite books.

Clydegirl
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
"The Wednesday Letters" by Jason Wright.

sheramama
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
"The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor: Vampire Slayer"-- Lucy Weston

I just started it and so far, it's pretty funny. In an ironic dry sort of way.

Katybug
07-28-2011, 04:10 AM
I read The Help over Memorial Day weekend, and loved it! Was also fortunate enough to get to see a free screening of the movie, due out in the states in August. If you like the book, definitely see the movie.

I just finished reading The Help, I loved it too. How cool that you got to see the movie already! I can't wait.... August 13th!

abluvion
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
That is a book that I've been thinking about getting. Thanks for saying you liked it!

Ooh, do read it! It is a bit of a meandering tale at first, and it's hard to say what direction it's going in (I had trouble deciding which characters would be ones I should pay attention to). But I was hooked within 30-50 pages. Very beautiful story.

Ahh, a good book, but not Irving's best. Have you read any of his other novels? A Prayer for Owen Meany is probably one of my top 3 all time favorite books.

I have read Owen Meany and had no trouble getting into that - I loved it. I have not read anything else by Irving, hence why I'm trying CHR. Quite honestly I have not picked it up in two weeks... At this rate I'll never get into it!

Singe
07-31-2011, 05:46 AM
A Prayer for Owen Meany is probably one of my top 3 all time favorite books.

I have read Owen Meany and had no trouble getting into that - I loved it.

It was sooo good! :)

I'm struggling with the last of the Stieg Larsson trilogy...I don't know what happened but I've lost that lovin feelin with the whole thing. :(

alinnell
07-31-2011, 10:21 AM
The Stied Larsson trilogy was really, really hard to get into. Another 3FC member struggled as did my DH. I urged them both to keep going and they are happy that they did. The first book is SO difficult with all the superfluous characters! But I promise, if you get half way through the first book you will get into it and the other two make much more sense.

I'm going to have to look into that Own Meany book.

Meanwhile, I have given up on Skippy Dies. Instead I found a Tom Follett book on my nightstand (don't even know where it came from) and have started it. So far it's good. (I don't even remember the title.)

shanhat81
07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm currently reading The Lost, by Daniel Mendehlson ... it's about his search for information about the fate of his great-uncle and his family during the Holocaust. It's fantastic.

wagfam
07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. I read the whold Miles series of hers and this is what happened in the begining. Love it!

Singe
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
The Stied Larsson trilogy was really, really hard to get into. Another 3FC member struggled as did my DH. I urged them both to keep going and they are happy that they did. The first book is SO difficult with all the superfluous characters! But I promise, if you get half way through the first book you will get into it and the other two make much more sense.

I'm going to have to look into that Own Meany book.

Meanwhile, I have given up on Skippy Dies. Instead I found a Tom Follett book on my nightstand (don't even know where it came from) and have started it. So far it's good. (I don't even remember the title.)

Oh, thank you! This last book there seem to be so many characters being launched for various reasons, and our heroine isn't in action much at all. I'll perservere!

I'm doing a classic next, Slaughterhouse Five..somehow I missed out on Vonnegut in my travels so I'm going to fix that!

Just before I picked up the Larsson saga again one of my students hooked me on The Hunger Games, it was surprisingly hooky for me and a little unexpected in its premise, too! :)

Loli
07-31-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey! So funny!