Old 07-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Default Hiking

My sister and I are taking a hiking trip tomorrow.
Just a day trip about an hour and a half away to an amazing area...

I've never been hiking.. What should I take? Prepared for? etc?
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #2  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

I've only done it twice, But you learn quick that high energy snacks are good as well as a fair amount of water.. I suggest granola, bug spray, good shoes and socks.. also if there is any chance of rain you should always avoid cotton clothing (of course this time of year that shouldn't be a problem). But the one thing I can't stress enough, watch out for poison ivy.. there was sooo much of it all along the last trail I hiked and the trail was very narrow in some spots. My dad is extremely allergic so that was an interesting trip. lol

Have fun!!!
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #3  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

If you have a pair of boots that rise above your ankle, provide a lot of support, are somewhat flexible, fit well, and still have decent tread on them, I'd suggest wearing those with a good pair of moisture-wicking socks. Otherwise, good sneakers and socks.

Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that will allow you to breathe and move around easily. Light colors are good because it's easier to see ticks on light-colored cloth. Wear layers in case the weather changes quickly, you're out longer than you thought you'd be, or you gain/lose a lot of altitude (a water-resistant outer shell is great to have if you're caught in a storm). Wear a hat. Wear sunscreen. Don't wear anything scented, because that will attract insects.

Take a trail map. Take water and a snack. If you take pre-packaged food or food that will leave you with rinds, skins, or seeds, take a little bag to pack your waste out in. Take sunscreen and sunglasses. Take a fully-charged cellphone. Take a camera . If you're wearing shoes that are new or you don't wear often, or if you will be walking much more than you usually do, check out this site for preventing and treating chafing and blisters: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/blisters.html.

Stay hydrated.

Make sure somebody knows where you will be going and when you should be back.

Depending on where you'll be and how well the trail you'll be using is maintained you may need to keep an eye out for roots and rocks on the trail that could trip you up. If you're hiking in a park there will probably be information on-site about the weather and the flora and fauna in the area. If you're hiking somewhere else (or using an infrequently accessed trailhead) look up information on expected weather conditions as well as plants and animals you might encounter and how to deal with any animals that might threaten you. Don't freak out if you see a snake, but do give it a wide berth. Try to avoid poisonous plants.

Check everywhere on yourself for ticks after you get back, including your head and behind your ears, and in all the places your skin creases or folds. Check your clothes for ticks too. If you don't know how to remove ticks or treat tickbites you can look it up on the Internet.

Have fun.

Last edited by theox; 07-02-2011 at 02:09 AM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Thank you guys so much!!! I'm so excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avezy44 View Post
I've only done it twice, But you learn quick that high energy snacks are good as well as a fair amount of water.. I suggest granola, bug spray, good shoes and socks.. also if there is any chance of rain you should always avoid cotton clothing (of course this time of year that shouldn't be a problem). But the one thing I can't stress enough, watch out for poison ivy.. there was sooo much of it all along the last trail I hiked and the trail was very narrow in some spots. My dad is extremely allergic so that was an interesting trip. lol

Have fun!!!
What part of tennessee are you in?
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #5  

I just moved around Knoxville, TN, about a year ago and I just love to hike here. I only wish I was in shape enough to go and hike where I really want to.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote