Diabetes Support - *** July Chat ***

View Full Version : *** July Chat ***

Ruthxxx
07-01-2011, 07:25 AM
New month again. Did June go extra-fast? I set myself a five pound goal for the month and actually managed to lose six pounds. I imagine it would have been more if I'd kept up going to the gym although I think being so active outside with garden and village planting helped. BGL was up and down but nothing too horrendous.

This month seems plugged with BBQs, picnics, the Fair, visitors and other celebrations but I am pretty sure I can cope. I will be going for bloodwork soon and we'll see how the HA1C and cholesterol are looking. I know my blood pressure is in control now.

My goal for this month is to drop into the low 170s and to sleep past 5 A.M. Wish me luck.

Do you have some targets for this lovely full summer month?

Riemontana
07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Good Morning

I can't believe that it is July! How fast the time goes.....

fbs at 84 this morning. I ate my favorite breakfast of mango flavored greek yogurt. It is amazingly filling. I hope to have a good day of physical activity in the yard after I take care of some work stuff.

Today I have one of my most pleasant yearly tasks at work. Each year people from the U.S. and Europe are selected for an exchange program for professionals called the Marshall Fellows. A friend of mine went to Europe on this program a few years ago. Now, each year, a group comes to Montana. The tour and luncheon at my facility is always a highlight of their trip. I have several employees who are from American Samoa and we are known for our wonderful barbque. The fellows are also very interesting and civic minded people and they are so much fun to spend time with. Tomorrow they are representing 6 different countries and they are really important, national people in their world. I can't wait. I love to tell them the story of my building and talk to them about juvenile justice in America. It will be a highlight! And, of course, I am really ready for some amazing barbque:)

Ruth, those sound like really good goals for the month of July. I am so impressed with the way that your weight just keeps slipping down. I also have my major blood work this month. I am hoping for a good A1C, but I am really hoping for good cholesterol numbers. I may have to start a medication if it is not better. I am hoping that my weight loss is bringing that under control.

Well, I better get moving here!

Have a great day

Rie

Quixotica
07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Hello all,
I am new to this thread, but not to 3FC. Please read my bio above...
I have been struggling to do consistently well at controlling my carb consumption. The problem with good AIC results is that they show how well you have done overall, but they do not show that some days you have highs. I have gone through a long period of not being very good, and still having good AIC results, if that makes sense. I need a place to make myself more accountable with people who know what the struggle means, so I have come here.
I have a friend who runs a dyalisis center at a hospital, and she put the side-effects of uncontrolled diabetes in very real terms and scared the "bleep" out of me. I am only 57 and want to live a long, complication-free life. I have long been the queen of denial about lots of things, diabetes just being one of them.

I have not told anyone at work because I am afraid of the stigma, or of being perceived as weak, and a potential layoff person...

I deny my DX to the insurance company everytime they call wanting enroll me in their "maintenance" program out of fear they will cut off my insurance...

I have absolutely forbidden my husband to tell my MIL about my DX because she has hounded me for years to lose weight because her mother died from complications of diabetes...

And I am an abuse and breast cancer survivor and have some very poor coping strategies; one of them being overeating under stress and emotional upheaval...

That's about as honest as I can get about why I am here.

I am also worried about how public this forum is, whether someone can dig for, and sell any information here to my insurance company, for example?

Rei-your weight loss ticker looks fantastic. You may have been at it for a while, and don't feel how awesome it is, but from my standpoint, it is amazing!

Ruth-congratulations on your six-pound weight loss! Sleep past 5 AM! You go, Ruth!

My goal for the month is to kick butt at Adtkins induction and have a good weight loss by the first of August!

Sheri

gothik butterfly
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I logged into my user cp and was wondering why June chat wasn't showing... haha. It's JULY already! wow.

This month is going to be a big test after big test for me. I have a lot going on with my best friend's wedding... and all the parties that come along with that. And the parties for another friend's wedding that is coming up in August.

I suppose I should get around to setting a WL goal for the month... I haven't actually started exercising at all. Hmm... maybe my goal will be the exercising... and if I lose, I lose... and start an official WL goal in August. At that point I will have been eating right for a couple months, exercising for a month and had my metformin and diabetes education classes as well.

It's SO HOT here today. We have a heat advisory. Supposed to be 102 and muggy muggy muggy. Thank goodness for the sweet sin of air conditioning.

Let's make this a great month!

Kari

pattygirl63
07-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

HAPPY CANADA DAY to all our Canadian Friends!!!!

New month and new beginnings. I'm going to try to stick around here even with all the busy busy things coming up around here. I think I need to keep me focused on doing what is right for my blood sugar. Boy getting off during vacation in may seems to have spilled over into June for me. I made it through June with my FBS readings swinging all over the place. Regardless of things I've heard and read I think I have to eat less carbs. I also read recently that the thyroid may not be functioning correctly even though tests may show them to be normal. They say it can cause a lot of problems and also may cause the diabetes and also make it difficult to lose weight. So I plan to talk to the doc about it when I see him in a few weeks. I don't think I can do low carb as strict as Atkins Induction any more, however, I do think I can do a little more of a type of SBD. I like the idea of eating low carb without counting the carbs or calories.

Ruth Congratulations on the 6 lb loss. I wish you luck with your goals this month. I noticed on my calendar this morning that y'all celebrate Canada Day today and then Respect Canada Day a few weeks later. So I understand how this could be a challanging month foodwise, but I'm sure you'll do well.

Rie Sounds like your job is very rewarding for you. I think it is wonderful when a person can have a job they enjoy as you do.

Kari Sounds like your going to be as busy as I am this month. Weddings are more fun though than cleaning and rearranging things for a house full to move in. The heat is really something this year. Doesn't usually bother me so much. Although we haven't had 100s, we do seem to have a lot warnings about the bad quality of air for those who have problems with the heat.

Sheri Welcome to this thread! I too have been through the denial stage. From what I've read, many of us go through that part of it. I also understand that it's just part of coming to grips with the situation. Good luck with Atkins Induction. It is really a good plan for getting control. I did it last year, but just couldn't stick with it.

Well, it turns out that we will be going to pick up DH SIL at the airport Wednesday and he will be here 2 nights and go back home Friday. He has an interview for a job up here and would start in the middle of August. Gives them time to get moved in up here and get settled. So a very busy weekend to prepare for his arrival. I have to admit that it will be nice when the kids get up here although challenging. It will be fun to have them around for these holiday celebrations. I have really missed that.

Y'all have a great Canada Day/4th of July weekend!!!

Riemontana
07-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Hello Everyone!

To my Canadian friends: Happy Canada Day! To my US friends: Happy 4th!

As I expected, I had an amazing time today with my guests. I splurged on a little potato salad and fruit pizza along with the fresh salads and chicken. My bs was only 106 an hour later and 105 2 hours later. No spike. I was back down to fbs of 94 before supper tonight. I was so pleased!

Patti, I was so pleased to see your post. I didn't expect to "see" you for a while! For what it is worth, my son and grandson eat the same way that I do and without complaints or concerns. My son buys treats for gs that I am not fond of, but he is actually quite happy eating healthy. I hope that you will consider involving your whole family in a healthy eating plan when they get there. You might be surprised - it might be easier and more enjoyable for everyone than you think.;)

Kari, it sounds like you will have some challenges as far as parties comming up. You can do it. Remember, the most important tool is not deprivation but moderation!

Sheri, thanks for the kind words. I am sorry that you are struggling. Is the "maintenance" program for diabetes? I understand about the A1C issue. My dad is diabetic and he consistently registers average A1C on a terrible diet. It worries me but I have to let it be his decision.

I guess my question is: how can we help you? I know that we all follow different plans here. Our friend Fatmad is on atkins (I think), Ruth does South Beach, I do my own plan that is moderate carb. I guess that I would encourage you to try and post every day and just be honest with yourself and us how you are doing.

I understand your concerns about telling people. I was diagnosed last fall and I have still not told all my family members or some friends. I just felt vulnerable and I needed to find my own way. I am not sure about your insurance company. It seems to me that the most important thing is for you to try to get more comfortable and confident in your ability to take care of yourself. My endo is a really kind man. When I was diagnosed I spent 2 hours crying in his office. He told me that this wasn't something that I "deserved" for being fat. Diabetes hits people who are thin as well. For me, I think my diagnosis is going to help me to live much longer. I probably would have had a heart attack before I reached 60 the way I was going.....

If Atkins is your choice, you can do it. Please let us know what you are doing and feel free to vent here or seek advice. :hug:

Ruth, I hope you are having a good day.

Fatmad, I keep thinking of you and I hope you are enjoying your adventures!

TTL
Rie

Ruthxxx
07-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Fly-by post. Celebrated Canada Day last night watching fireworks and sipping champagne out on the Big Rideau Lake. It was fun but I'm feeling a tad burnt out today! BGL is fine but weight is up a bit - probably from munching salted peanuts. They are addictive! Back on track today.

fatmad
07-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Hello everyone, I am home from South Africa safe and healthy and happy. I got in yesterday, and actually slept a bit on the long plane flight (15 hours of flight, I got about 7 hours of sleep I think. ) and stayed up until about 9 last night and slept til 6. I am sure I will have a few problems with the jet lag in the next week, but will try to stay on a reasonable schedule.
Lets see, where to start? The hardest part in Durban was that it is winter in the southern hemisphere, and while it didn't get terribly cold there, it does get dark about 5 pm. Given that we we inside for meetings all day, I didn't sleep well or adjust to the time change well without sunlight etc to give me cues. THe meetings went well, and we won the bid to host the international congress in 6 years in Toronto, ( lobbying for this was a part of my job for the 1st 4 days) and now I am on the planning committee. But exercise was really hard, as we couldn't walk after dark, (not safe) and the hotel gym was not very inviting, and the pools are not heated, so were too cold for swimming. We did bathe in the sea in the mornings when we could get up though.
I ate fairly well, but eating out all the time is hard, and I didn't always have control of what I ate, so was higher carb than I am used to. I worked on calorie counting, to some degree, but have gained some weight, and will be working to bring it down.
The last week of course was the best part, when my friend Anne and I went on safari. This involved getting up before dawn (and very cold in African terms) and getting in an open jeep and driving around to view wild animals. I loved it. after about 3 hours, we come back to camp for breakfast, laze around all day, then go back out about 1.5 hrs before sunset at 5 pm, and come back at 7 for supper and an early bedtime. I loved it, got amazing photos, and enjoyed the people enormously. If anyone has a chance to go to Africa for any reason, do find a way to do some nature touring, it is wonderful.
So now am home, time to get back to work, regular walking and yoga, and eating better.
fbs today was 4.7, and I will do an a1c next week and see my doc on wednesday.
I will have to take some time to catch up on posts, internet was quite patchy, and I had to pay for time, so just used it to email home and no time for much else.
thanks for thinking of me while gone, I sure missed my friends!

Riemontana
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Just a quick fly by this morning! fbs is up a little at 99 this morning - a little high since I had a low carb evening. Maybe earlier yesterday?? IDK.

This morning a friend is comming with a pickup to help me haul stuff to the dump. I have been cleaning out stuff and getting rid of things in my house for months and it needs to go. This afternoon I will be grilling out with friends and their children at the local fishing pond. I have the chicken marinating and lots of veggies prepped. It should be a nice time.

Fatmad! Welcome back. Sounds like a lovely trip. We missed you.

Rie

Lindy87
07-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Busy weekend coming up to celebrate the 4th. My SIL flew in from IN yesterday and it was great to see her. Today we are spending the day with my parents, tomorrow going to the inlaws with my DHs sisters and families. Should be about 25 of including all the new babies! I love when we all get together. Then on the 4th going to my nephews (with the whole clan again) and all their friends for food and fireworks. I hope I don't overdo it. My fbs is getting lower. I find if I eat a cheesestick around 11 it is lower in the morning so I have been trying to do that. Wishing everyone a great day!

Riemontana
07-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Just wanted to do a small post. I had a really nice barbque. Maybe a little too carby but not really bad. However, I forgot to take my evening meds and didn't remember until almost 2 hours later:-(. My bs was 128. It is almost NEVER over 100. I am really upset with myself. I am hoping the metformin will bring me in line quickly. I can't believe I did this.

Riemontana
07-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Hello All

I was feeling down earlier (my earlier post) these are pictures of me at last year's barbque and today. Each day is a new day of challenges. Sometimes the day goes well and sometimes it doesn't - my journey continues.

Rie

Ruthxxx
07-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Oy! Very low BGL at 2.7 this morning. Just had some ww toast with honey and some cheese to bring it up. I guess a grilled cheese sandwich and some strawberries was a poor choice for dinner last night but I was not hungry. I'll make better choices today.

gothik butterfly
07-03-2011, 01:27 PM
So I've been eating better for 13 days and on the Metformin for 6. My (apple shape) belly has already gone down. I put my jeans on yesterday and I didn't have to suck it in to get them buttoned. My friends also commented they could tell.

I had 2 major WINS yesterday. I had to drive up to Rochester, MN to get my maid of honor dress fitted for my best friend's wedding on July 23. I always stop at Arbys and this time I didn't. We also had a party last night and everyone was SUPER drunk. I did not have ANY alcohol. I had a virgin frozen strawberry and splenda daquiri and water.

Very proud of myself.

Tomorrow I start a morning Metformin pill. Still worried I don't eat enough for breakfast and that I'm going to have some side effects of the ramp up.

Have a great day!

Riemontana
07-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Just a quick fly by....

Ruth, scary! I hope that you are better. Are those "rebound" lows? It seems like a grilled cheese and some strawberries would be carby enough to hold you. Or, maybe, is it the fasting time between your supper and breakfast that is too long? hmmmmm.

Gothic, good job on resisting the fast food and alcohol.

Just wanted to report: This morning I went on a 2 mile walk. Not as much as some folks but a lot on this arthritic knee. It was one of my goals for the summer.

I will be back later!

Rie

Ruthxxx
07-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Grrrr! My ticker was lying, I thought but it is still up. I hate changing my ticker up so I'll give it one more day. BGL was OK this morning. I'm still puzzling over yesterday's low although I did recover quickly. Definitely must book bloodwork and a doc appointment soon.

fatmad
07-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Ruth, I am having an a1c drawn today and will see the doc tomorrow. I am still having trouble with sleep and jet lag and worked many hours yesterday, yet can't sleep more than about 5-6 hours at a time. I did get out walking on Saturday, but was working too much yesterday. Today will be a "normal" day of just doing home visits, and I hope to go to yoga this evening.
While I was away, the woman who started a more local yoga program closed down her business. How sad. She was a good teacher and only 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes away.
Happy 4th of July to our friends in the US, have a great day!

Wannabehealthy
07-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Good Morning

I can't believe that it is July! How fast the time goes.....

fbs at 84 this morning. I ate my favorite breakfast of mango flavored greek yogurt. It is amazingly filling. I hope to have a good day of physical activity in the yard after I take care of some work stuff.

Today I have one of my most pleasant yearly tasks at work. Each year people from the U.S. and Europe are selected for an exchange program for professionals called the Marshall Fellows. A friend of mine went to Europe on this program a few years ago. Now, each year, a group comes to Montana. The tour and luncheon at my facility is always a highlight of their trip. I have several employees who are from American Samoa and we are known for our wonderful barbque. The fellows are also very interesting and civic minded people and they are so much fun to spend time with. Tomorrow they are representing 6 different countries and they are really important, national people in their world. I can't wait. I love to tell them the story of my building and talk to them about juvenile justice in America. It will be a highlight! And, of course, I am really ready for some amazing barbque:)

Ruth, those sound like really good goals for the month of July. I am so impressed with the way that your weight just keeps slipping down. I also have my major blood work this month. I am hoping for a good A1C, but I am really hoping for good cholesterol numbers. I may have to start a medication if it is not better. I am hoping that my weight loss is bringing that under control.

Well, I better get moving here!

Have a great day

Rie

Hi! I'm new here and hope to learn more about handling my type II diabetes. I recently had surgery and as a result, lost 15 lbs which I'm trying to maintain. I had bloodwork done last week, and my A1c went from 7.1 to 5.7. I might add that I had been walking 5 hours per week for 5 months prior.
I take 2 different meds for cholesterol/triclycerides and have seen an improvement, but 6 months ago my doctor added fish oil, 1200 mg twice a day, and my triglycerides went from 253 to 135. Nothing made such a big difference like the fish oil. Ask your doctor about it. Dosages that high should only be used under a doctors care.

Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Just a quick fly by....

Ruth, scary! I hope that you are better. Are those "rebound" lows? It seems like a grilled cheese and some strawberries would be carby enough to hold you. Or, maybe, is it the fasting time between your supper and breakfast that is too long? hmmmmm.

Rie

Although I had a good A1c reading, I don't consider myself to be in control. To my knowlege, I have never had a "low". And rarely have a good fbs. We eat dinner early, around 4-5 PM and I usually have a snack between dinner and bedtime. But I didn't have the snack last night, and my fbs this morning was 117. Better than usual, but not as low as I expected. Someone suggested that I might be having lows during the night and aren't aware of it, but a couple times I woke up during the night and checked my bs out of curiosity and I was still not low. I might try having cheese as an evening snack as someone suggested here, and see if that helps.

Carol

Lindy87
07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
slmn11-I have the same issues as you. My A1c has been pretty good bur my fbs is always high in the morning and fine otherwise. We eat early too most of the time. I have been trying to eat something around 11 PM as I no longer seem to fall asleep early any more. It has been lower in the morning but still not evenas low as yours. Try different items as night and see what works best for you. I am still in the process of trying to figure out what works for me.
I seem to be losing some wwight but not sure how with all the festivities for the 4th. I guess just keep watching and get back on track tomorrow. GOin to my nephews for food, fun, and fireworks today. Everybody have a safe 4th!

Riemontana
07-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Hello all and Happy 4th to the US folks.

fbs at 91 this morning. Except for the "forgetting my meds" incident, I have been in control all weekend.

Tonight I will attend the extended family barbque. I am looking forward to it but I am a little worried. You see, I haven't told them about my diabetes. I don't know why. At first, I didn't want/need the food or medical police because some of them are in the medical field. I know that I will tell them someday but not now. On a good note, there is always healthy food.

I wonder, does anyone else experience a certain shame or embarassment about the diagnosis? I know that it is irrational but I have only told a few of my friends, my kids and my parents.

Lyndy, I hope you enjoy the family time and the celebrations. Getting that morning control takes some time. Hang in there.

slmn, again, welcome. For what it is worth, the evening snack of a small protein and small carb keeps my morning readings in line. I prefer Dannon Yogurt. Low calorie, carb and a little protein.

Fatmad, I hope that your sleep problems turn around. I am hoping for good results for your A1C. It is nice to have you back here!

Ruth, maybe the ticker is just something else that is effecting your weight. Hang in there! You have been making so much progress!

After the family gathering tonight I am headed out to some friends on the reservation. They have a horse arena on their place and we will have a bonfire and fireworks. It is gonna be a late night considering I work tomorrow but I am looking forward to it.

See you all tomorrow!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
This is a quick flyby. Got to get room/house ready for SIL quick visit Wed thru Fri. Besides going for his interview for his job Thursday morning, he will be helping DH do some things while he is here and he plans to go enroll the children in school too so that will be done when they move in. My FBS is up some days and down others. Eating is good so I'm thinking it is stress of the new changes and getting ready. This time next month they will be moved in. So that means llllllooooaaaaddddssss of work which I am calling "extra" exercise. Extra because DH set up the new dvd player in our bedroom so I can do my exercises in there everyday. I hope the exercise will relieve some of the stress and help the FBS reading to come on down.

I've decided that for me the goal has to be weight loss. I read a recent study where a group of people went on a 600 calorie a day diet for 3 months and reversed their diabetes. Well, I can't do that... at least I don't think I could do only 600 calories a day. I'm not even willing to try. I'm still doing a low carb/low calorie a day way of eating trusting that any weight loss will help. Of course, I also plan to print out info I have from a book I have on thyroid and see if I can have my doc test my thyroid. Both my parents had to take thyroid meds and they are in the process of retesting my Dad's now. I would like to just rule out any problems in that area.

Well, I better get busy. This quick flyby turned out longer than I planned.

Mad Welcome back. Really miss you when you are gone. Hope your sleeping gets better and the tests turn out good.

Ruth I'm sure your ticker will come back down soon.

Rie, Lindy87, Carol, Butterfly and others reading Y'all have a great day.

Ruthxxx
07-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Flyby for me too. the ticker is still lying but is moving back to being correct. I'll give it a chance. Today I MUST book a bloodwork appointment. Maybe for next week?

Hang in there, Chickies. Celebration weekends are just a part of life, not a BGL disaster.

Riemontana
07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Good Morning Alll!

Well, I am heading in to a strong push for the next 2 1/2 weeks before I go on vacation. fbs at 100 this morning despite being at 94 before bed last night. Perhaps a hangover from the slightly off plan eating yesterday? IDK but it isn't bad.

I didn't make it to fireworks last night. :( I inadvertently ate something with nutrasweet and I got a fierce migraine headache. I spent the evening after 8pm last night in a dark room with a compress over my eyes. Yuk!

I was up soon after sunrise this morning and I used it as a way to get in 60 minutes of aerobics and ab work. I also did 10 minutes of deep stretching. I feel pretty good. My next doc appt is on the 19th and I would really like to take off a few more pounds before that appt. (I only weigh one time per month). Then, I am going on vacation with my kids and grandkids in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I would like to look good for pictures!:D

Have a glorious day!

Rie

gothik butterfly
07-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Hello ladies!

Day 2 of adding a morning Metformin pill. No side effects. Even with a small breakfast of Activia yogurt, string cheese and almonds. With the morning and night pill now, I'm at 1000 mg a day. No side effects is awesome. I was worried. We shall see what next week brings when I'm up to 2 night pills and the morning pill.

Tomorrow is the diabetes education class. Looking forward to it.

Hope everyone had a great independence day weekend.

Kari

fatmad
07-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi everyone! I am still suffering with jet lag, falling asleep earlier in the evening, and up very early in the morning. NO big rush to adjust I guess, but I plan things to do in the evening, and am not accomplishing that. Will have to reframe my expectations for the time being.
I bought a lot of fruit on the weekend when we restocked the fridge, so I have not been sticking to atkins very strickly, (don't think cherries count as berries, tho berries are allowed up the carb ladder) but honestly, here is south Ontario, these fresh fruits come and are gone so quickly, we have to enjoy the local fresh stuff when it comes. I am not pigging out on it, but am enjoying it.
I did get out for a walk on the weekend, and yoga Monday. Too tired after work yesterday, but will try for today, a nice walk with the dog.
Saw my doc briefly yesterday, will do a1c this month, didn't do before since it was just a check in. Next month is complete physical, I hope to lose the holiday weight by then and at least look like I've been maintaining. :devil:
Overall, doing ok, but no excuses, have to get stricter with the food allowances. I will commit to no desserts other than the fresh fruit for the rest of the week. I will also commit to planning meals the rest of the week, so that will make a difference.
thanks friends.

Ruthxxx
07-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Good Hump Day morning. My BGL is fine but that ticker is still out by a pound. I think I've been overdoing it on berries. I know strawberries are low calorie but they still add up, especially when you start munching on the dried ones! I've also been eating more salt - marinaded in BBQ meats! Lots of good exercise is happening though.

I still haven't made my appointment for bloodwork. I need an Admin Officer to handle this stuff!

Riemontana
07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Good Morning

fbs up a little at 94 again this morning. I am a little stuffed up and feeling mildly under the weather. I have been eating well so I will just see if it sorts out.

I was up early again this morning and got in a 60 minute (8500 steps) workout on the Wii Walk it Out. I enjoyed watching my little avatar strutting around in front of me.:carrot: I wish I could walk more outside but I just don't dare allow for that much sun. oh well.

MMMMM, cherries! I haven't allowed any yet this year - I am afraid of my control. I absolutely love the queen anne variety. I am planning to do extra workouts this weekend and have some. I am still eating very little fruit because I seem to spike. :(

Ruth, that darn ticker will be subdued! Try to get the appointment, ok? I think you will feel good about your progress.

Fatmad, it seems that the older that we get, the longer it takes our bodies to adjust. I have simply decided to give in to my sleep issues. I am concerned about the impact on my sugars, etc, but the truth is that I have never slept the typical 8 hours per night. I am hoping that when winter comes and the sun doesn't rise so early, maybe I will sleep later. In the meantime, it allows me to work out, breakfast, and visit 3FC while still getting ready for work.:smug:

I hope the rest of you are well today. I have pool tonight. See you later.

Rie

TamTam
07-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Hello all. I am new to this forum (Not to 3fc) and have been away at market and then coming home to catch up on all kinds of things, still not caught up and with 3 retail stores never will, but that's ok. My eating and fbs is up and down up and down but this morning was 122 yesterday it was 144. I still need to go to the Diabetes education seminars but with work it's hard to get away but hopefully in 2 weeks I will have 2 mornings off to go. I hope you all have a blessed afternoon!

gothik butterfly
07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I hope this works. I'm posting from my blackberry. I just had to pop in to say that I had my first diabetes education class today. I knew most of what they taught us but it was still good to have the support. The best part is they weighed us and I am 7 lbs lighter after my first 3 weeks! I am so happy and it is the motivation I needed to continue and add in my exercise program starting next week. I also now am checking my blood sugar. My morning after breakfast was 88. Before dinner was 96. So far so good!

Ruthxxx
07-07-2011, 08:42 AM
:wave: Still hanging in. Darned ticker is now correct although I really don't know where the weight came from. I expected down this morning but it was up. :( FBGL was good though and I now have had three nights in a row of good sleep. I got a mild sleep-aid from the drugstore on Monday.

Today I will definitely call and make a bloodwork appointment for next week. I guess I was sort of waiting for the weight to improve. :shrug:

fatmad
07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
welcome Cajun!
Ruth, you know the weight came from salt and water retention, you said you were marinating meat. Don't fret it, it will come and go, depending on your diet.
I am supposed to have supper with friends tonight, but rather than eat out, I may have them over and bbq, since I spent three weeks basically eating out every night, and DH has been cooking this week, it seems better than going out again, and I can make appropriate stuff. Much easier to stay on plan. I adjusted my weight on the signature, not sure if I will put a ticker on at all. Right now my goal is to get back to where I was before the trip, (about 168) or at least lower than 170, before my doctors appointment on August 16th.
The cherries are gone, ate them all last night, and so are the strawberries. I had a good feed of each, and from here on in will just have them if others show up with them. I kept my committment not to have other sweets or desserts yesterday. Evenings are hardest. Tonight I will "plan" to have some wine with supper though.
The weather is good, and I am looking forward to a nice evening with friends.

Quixotica
07-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Hello ladies!
I am back from the holidays and working hard in my garden trying to get everything I planted in the greenhouse out into the garden. I have one more morning of work, and then it is kick back and eat the "fruits" of my labor! I have been doing pretty well on Adtkins, and had one day off plan (the 4th of course). But still, I have lost three pounds since I started, and I am feeling much better. Portion control has an insidious way of slipping, and I had to go back to being honest about how much I was eating. Eating very low carbs makes me feel very good, though. I got some ester-c to help me through induction because I just don't get enough C when I am on induction.
Rei- thank you for the kind words and your support. More that anything, I just need a place to stay accountable, and a place to vent, and for support when I start to slip...
Weight loss is so much harder as I get older, and I need to just be patient. I am trying lots of imagery, too. Imagining myself in a little black dress, imagining myself with the energy to dance an hour, imagining myself with a reversal of my DII DX...wouldn't that be great!? My doctor says it is possible with a significant weight loss. For now, I am just happy to keep it in control.
Ruth-I have been marinating and BBQing meat, too. It does make me retain water. I just try to make sure I drink lots of water and eat potassium rich food.

Lindy87
07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
gothik butterfly--Great job! Keep up the good work!
I have found another spot on the forums for me with great support. Besides this lovely group and my other fav the South Beach gals, I have also found a great place in the Support Groups --100lb section.

Riemontana
07-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Hello Everyone.

I had a somewhat stressful day at work but I work at home tomorrow so I can get the administrative junk done. I had a nice beginning to my evening. When I came home I spent an hour hoeing and working in my garden plot. It is humid here - I think a storm is brewing and I really worked up a sweat. I also dug a trench around all the plants so that I can really soak them when I water. As a farmers daughter, I don't want to "water" I want to "irrigate". :D I have little tomatoes and cukes hanging on. I am excited because the season was so late getting everythink i the ground because it was so wet.

I am terribly worried about our beautiful Yellowstone River. There was an oil spill and there is oil on the shore by my parents' farm. I pray that it is cleaned up.

fbs was at 94 this morning and good all day. I ate well. Supper is some lean steak, mushrooms and veggies from the grill. I enjoyed a glass of wine last night at pool with no bs impact. I think that might have to become a pleasant habit.

I will do personals in the am. Have a lovely evening, everyone!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Thought I would check in before I go to bed. SIL is here tonight. He came flew in yesterday for his interview this morning and we will take him to airport tomorrow to fly home. So I haven't had time to be on pc. We've been sharing my pc while he is here.

Mad Glad to see you made it home safe and I really understand about how things are after eating out in restaurants everyday for days on a vacation. I just now have gotten my weight down some and my FBS was finally 111 mg this morning. It has really been a job getting it back down. It has just taken me time to get my woe back to normal for me. But I think I've adjusted better this time and decided that eating off for any length of time just isn't worth all I've gone through to get things back under control.

Ruthie I know that darn salt sure does a number on us doesn't it. I've been eating pistachio nuts for snacks in the evening and the weight was up a lb today. We took SIL to O'Charlie's for a steak and I DH and I halfed a dinner which was perfect for both of us, but the broccoli I had had a lot of salt in it. However, I don't use salt at home much, so what I call salty may be normal. Hope the scale will be nice to you soon.

I think I've figured out that I have to eat small meals almost like snacks throughout the day instead of larger meal so that I don't have that full feeling which I really hate any way. That is the way I ate yesterday and as I said earlier the FBS was finally down to 111 mg. I am eating low carb more along the lines of SBD although it isn't SBD.

It's getting late so I am going to bed.

Rie, Butterfly, Lindy7, Quixotica and everyone else :wave:

fatmad
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
So my friends didn't make it over for supper, (they are midwives too, so got busy working). DH and I had homemade burgers, fresh peas and salad for supper though, and I must say, I am happy to be eating at home, knowing the fat and salt content of my food, adding in onions for extra veggies etc.
We are not going away this weekend off, so will cook and eat at home everynight. Likely have people over as well, so have some fun.
Going out for a walk with the dog and will do some yoga today, and can eat on plan all day, so looking forward to normal. Slept in today, and hope that will let me stay up a bit later and get on a normal schedule. Yesterday, even though I had slept well, all day I was tired, felt like I needed sleep, even had a nap in the afternoon, but wanted to get in bed all day. It was my head felt sleepy, not my body. Body doesn't feel so tired. Trying to sort that out, hope getting out for a walk will wake me up and make me feel better.
TGIF everyone, have a great weekend.

Riemontana
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Good Morning all!

I am taking a 3FC break from report writing now. I was up with the sun this morning again. For now, I am going with it. A cup of coffee on the back steps and then I worked out. I got through 1 hour and 20 minutes of aerobics and a nice 15 minute yoga/stretch routine. It was awsome.:carrot: I was dripping sweat but I felt so powerful. My muscles are so pleasantly tired now.:)

Fatmad, I enjoy grilled food so much and my son loves to grill so we have it all the time. Like you, I really like being in control of what goes into my food. I hope that the excercise perks you up. Some mild depressive symptoms are classic with jet lag. Take care:hug:

Trish, it sounds like you are continuing to figure out what works for your body. If the little meals thing works for you, it is a good way to control blood sugar.

Lyndy, I have lurked occasionally on the 100 lb forum and they are really cool. Don't forget us over here, ok?;)

Quix, you have a greenhouse? I am soooo Jealous!

Gothic, good job on the bs and congrats on the weight loss! Go you!:bravo:

Cajun, glad to know that you are back. I hope you can find your way to the seminars soon. If nothing else, it will help your confidence.

Ruth the ticker will move again. I agree with Fatmad, it is probably water retention. I don't know about there - but it is hot here and that always does it for me:hug::hug:

Ok, back to work now. TTL

Rie

pattygirl63
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Well great news, DD called and her DH got a call while on his way back home and he got the job he came here to interview for yesterday. We are thrilled to know that when they move in that he will have a job. Poor guy lost his job with his Dad because they had to close their business because of the economy and has been looking in FL for 3 years. DD said the DGD were running around the house joyfully shouting about the good news.

Boy these bodies are something else. I think I really went through burnout recently concerning this diabetes stuff. If I didn't feel so determined to get things under control, I think I would give up. I don't know if I didn't get enough sleep last night as I don't sleep well knowing I have to get up early or if it is the stress of all the changes coming in my life, but this gets so confusing sometime. This morning my weight was down 2 lbs and the fbs was way up. I didn't do anything different from what I did to get the fbs down yesterday. Of course I realize that when eating out, you have no control over what is in the food. Well, I'm staying with the plan I'm on because I know that I do better eating this way and I believe it will finally take hold. I may not have drank enough water and I know that seems to affect my bs. I sure hope I can get the doc to do a more thorough thyroid testing just to be sure everything is okay in that area. I do seem to have some symptoms of it not working right and my mother had to take thyroid most of her life and my daddy takes it and they are trying to regulate his now. I just need to know for sure if I have a problem that doesn't show up on regular test.

Mad Hope you get to feeling better. I've been experiencing tiredness lately too. I don't know if it is from the thyroid, stress or what. In fact, I think I'll go take a nap but just may do a Walk Away the Pounds dvd first. We walked around to stores today to walk off our lunch we ate out again today, but maybe it wasn't enough.

Y'all have a great weekend.

TamTam
07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I hope this works. I'm posting from my blackberry. I just had to pop in to say that I had my first diabetes education class today. I knew most of what they taught us but it was still good to have the support. The best part is they weighed us and I am 7 lbs lighter after my first 3 weeks! I am so happy and it is the motivation I needed to continue and add in my exercise program starting next week. I also now am checking my blood sugar. My morning after breakfast was 88. Before dinner was 96. So far so good!

I will be going to my Diabetes classes later this month, I am sure I will know most of what they will teach, but there are still things to learn. I need to rethink carbs for diabetes and not just weight loss and that has me confused because I know it for weight loss only. My blood sugar has been higher and I think it's because I am having too many starches at night with supper, I don't think I am having too many during the day, but I guess I will find out when I go.

Congratulations of the weight loss!!!

Ruthxxx
07-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Sorry to have been slightly MIA this week but real life has been interfering. Today will be an "at home" day of relaxation after a fairly busy and stressful week. I need some gentle garden time and some sitting on the porch with the dogs time.

BGL has been pretty good but the weight has been doing a roller coaster ride, mainly up. :( Yesterday was just terrible foodwise as I was out for lunch and then ate at the Fish Fry last night. I even indulged in a piece of pecan pie and expected a high reading this morning. Nope - good old 4.4. :shrug:

The Plan for this next week? Lots more veggies, more water, meats that are NOT marinated in salty mixes and early morning walks with one of the dogs. I will also make an appointment for bloodwork. Have I mentioned that before? ;) I think I have elevated procrastination to an art form.

Riemontana
07-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Good Morning!

fbs was at 76 this morning. I had a really late night at the pool tourney and I still woke with the sun today. I am drowsy and not feeling very well so I am just allowing for a relaxing morning with my coffee and computer. I watched the birds for a while this morning from the back steps. I think I need to go buy a couple bird houses/feeders.

BBL

Rie

Lindy87
07-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Made many poor choices in food yesterday and my fbs was 195 this morning! It has not been that high since I was diagnosed. Drank 3 glasses of water and back in the 140s which is still high but that seems to be by level right now. A few weeks ago it was around 160 in the morning. Slowly coming back dow as I am eating better. Scared me to death this morning wneh it was that high.
Starting the day with some greek yogurt and trying to me healty today. It is beautiful outside. Not sure about the humidity. It was like pea soup yesterday and so I barely even went outside. Hoefully will read some on my porch today and get out of the ac for a while. Have a great Sat. everyone!

Riemontana
07-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Hello. Just back to report on my morning because I made a good choice. After sitting around for a while this morning, I decided to get up and get going. I did my 2 mile walk - at a rapid pace with arms swinging. :carrot: My knee hurts pretty bad but I feel good. NOW I can relax the rest of the day with that good feeling. I hope no-one feels like I am bragging. I am just going for accountability here. Have a great day.

Lyndy, :hug: hang in there. This is a life-long process and you will get it under control. Does your dr give you numbers where you are supposed to call in or seek medical attention? Mine is bs=200. I think various providers have different ideas but you might check.

That being said, may I say that I am proud of you for testing even though you knew it might not be a good number. Too many people just forgo testing in that circumstance so they don't have to face the numbers - not you. So, good job on that!

Take care and feel free to pm me if I can provide you with any more support.

Rie

TamTam
07-09-2011, 05:15 PM
:wave: Still hanging in. Darned ticker is now correct although I really don't know where the weight came from. I expected down this morning but it was up. :( FBGL was good though and I now have had three nights in a row of good sleep. I got a mild sleep-aid from the drugstore on Monday.

Today I will definitely call and make a bloodwork appointment for next week. I guess I was sort of waiting for the weight to improve. :shrug:

Afternoon Ruthxxx. I use Melatonin as a sleep aid, best thing that I have ever tried! My fbs was also better this morning, went from 148 to 119, now if I could just keep it going down!

TamTam
07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Hello. Just back to report on my morning because I made a good choice. After sitting around for a while this morning, I decided to get up and get going. I did my 2 mile walk - at a rapid pace with arms swinging. :carrot: My knee hurts pretty bad but I feel good. NOW I can relax the rest of the day with that good feeling. I hope no-one feels like I am bragging. I am just going for accountability here. Have a great day.

Rie

Rie-girl brag on! Good for you for making the choice to go walking. I do not see it as bragging and so what if you are you are an inspiration! Have a blessed day.:hug:

Lindy87
07-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Rie thanks for all the support. My fbs to call the dr. is also 200. I got it down and am better now. Just drinking extra water today. Thanks a bunch!

Ruthxxx
07-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Grrrr! Weight down a bit but FBGL was 2.8 again this morning. The crazy thing is that I don't feel it. It may be time to cut the glyberide and just take the Metformin at bed time. I did have carbs with dinner but also had some wine. After 72 years, you'd think I'd have my body figured out!

Anyhow, a good breakfast has fixed me. I have a Church picnic at noon today with hot dogs, potato and macaroni salad and cake! I am taking my own lunch because there's no way I can work around eating that!

Life goes on.

Wannabehealthy
07-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Made many poor choices in food yesterday and my fbs was 195 this morning! It has not been that high since I was diagnosed. Drank 3 glasses of water and back in the 140s which is still high but that seems to be by level right now. A few weeks ago it was around 160 in the morning. Slowly coming back dow as I am eating better. Scared me to death this morning wneh it was that high.

I have a problem with fbg also. Mine is usually around 150. When I first came home from having surgery, I was not able to eat much at a time. My bg was so much better eating under those circumstances. I am gradually getting my appetite back, which isn't good, because now my fbg is heading back up to 150. I love bread. That's my problem. I don't eat many sweets, and I can stay away from potatoes and pasta, but it's that darn bread that gets me every time!

Carol

fatmad
07-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Sim: I'm a sweet lover too. I made good choices for supper yesterday, (leek soup, salmon and veggies) but then caved and had creme brulee for dessert. Weight is up again (go figure!) but mostly felt overstuffed all night, and woke up at 3 am nauseated and couldn't get back to sleep. A 1/2 tab of gravol seemed to fix both, but slept until 10 am, so I am likely out of jetlag, and onto a new schedule.
Rie, never worry about bragging, even if you are, its all good and we support you. I will walk the dog again today, while its cool enough to do it.
Happy Sunday friends.

Riemontana
07-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Good Morning All.

Happy Sunday. fbs at 94 this morning, I am happy about that because I ate quite a bit last night.

We went to the drive-in movie with friends and it was a blast. A beautiful MT night, the stars were out. Sitting in lawn chairs watching the new transformers movie. The nice thing is that one can take their own food. I munched on english cucumbers and strips of yellow bell pepper. I also splurged on a small dark chocolate bar that I let disolve in my mouth. Lovely.

Fatmad, I sure would have rather had creme brulee'! I love it so much.

Ruth, I am sure concerned about those lows you are having. Hopefully, you will see the doc soon and can get it under control. I stopped having lows when the doc took me off glypizide and switched me to Januvia. I sure felt better having level bs all the time. Hopefully, it will get better.

Carol, bread is certainly hard to resist. I can't seem to excercise portion control very well on that type of carb. Once I start, I can't stop.

Cajun, good bs control. It is getting better for you. Thanks for the kind words.

Lyndy, I hope that you feel better today.

See you all later. Have a great Sunday1

Rie

TamTam
07-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Morning all. Just got back from Mass and am leaving for Lafayette to see Jeff Dunham in "concert" tonight, will try and keep the eating sane. Will be back tomorrow. Have a blessed Holy Day.

pattygirl63
07-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Got up this morning and FBS was 169 mg 3 hours after a breakfast of a bowl of fruit it was 115 mg. What is strange is that I felt really good and didn't feel like it was so high. I've been breaking up my Metformin and taking 500 mg 3 X a day. I will go back to taking the 1000 mg in the evening with a small meal. This BS thing is so crazy.

Y'all have a great Sunday.

Lindy87
07-10-2011, 06:13 PM
FBS was in the 130s today, the lowest it has been it about 9 months. I'm slowly getting there. Thanks for the support everyone. Enjoy your Sunday!

Riemontana
07-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Hello all.

I had a weird high reading before supper tonight. 111 and I am not sure why. I ate ok at lunch, maybe a little carby as I had a sandwich but it was still under 30 carbs. I had a SF mocha that I made myself. I am afraid that there is something in there that I am not aware of. Will check it out later.

I ate a good, grilled dinner so will see how I am later. Sometimes this is confusing.

Lyndy, cool. You are getting there.

Trish, hopefully, you will get the meds figured out. I take my metformin twice a day.

Cajun, Jeff Dunham? I am so jealous. Have fun.

Rie

Riemontana
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Good morning all.

LOL. I guess I am the only one here this morning... fbs at 91 and I got my strength/aerobic workout done. A little sore this morning so I used the wii. I am finishing my greek yogurt breakfast and the off to work. Pool league tonight so it will be a long day.

Have a great Monday.

Lindy87
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Kids started camp today so life is somewhat back to normal. Errands, housework, and do not need to worry that I will be eating somekind of meal (usually a salad anyway) from a fast food place. My Samantha is at the camp in our village. She is 14 and basically just sits under the trees with her friends discussing anime (which she is toatlly addicted to) and listening to songs on her i pod. My Angelo (age 9) is going to baseball camp with the Long Island Ducks which is our local (I think AA) baseball team. He went last year and loved it!
FBS in the 140s again which is good for me.It is always high in the morn but fine the rest of the time. Goind to talk to my doc about this again the next time I see him.
Hope everyone has a fabulous day. Thank God for air conditioning. The week is gonna be brutal here.

pattygirl63
07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Rie That is great about the exercise. I have got to find one I can do. I've been trying to do the Walk Away the Pounds 20 Minute 1 mile walk and my legs ache so I can't finish it. I may have to start out on the stationary bike and build up the strength in my legs.

When I went to the mailbox today, I noticed that I need to get out and pull weeds in the flower beds, but it is sooooo hot and is supposed to be 102 degrees tomorrow. May have to wait on that one. DH had to get out and mow because the yard man didn't show up last week. He is 71 yrs old and I think he actually forgets us. Kids will start doing it when they move in.

My FBS was 135 this morning and then just like yesterday it was 115 3 hrs after breakfast. Lindy87 I see my doc tomorrow and will talk to him about what is going on with my BS. I may need to go to (2) 1000 mg of Metformin daily. Although he once told me I could take up to 2 a day if my body would tolerate it, I feel that I need to discuss it with him and clear it with him first. I am definitely doing more low carb. Kind of a Carbohydrate Addict's woe. I only eat my carby foods once a day such as nuts, whole grains etc ( a more balanced meal) and then have more low carb Atkin's type meals/snacks for the other meals/snacks. This way I only eat the # of times I need to and I don't have the feeling that I have to eat or that I have to eat a certain # of carbs/calories. I am hoping this will be easier for me and fit my lifestyle better. I just can't eat if I'm not hungry and this way I don't feel that I have to.

Just got an exciting phone call from DD while writing this. She had a telephone interview with a lady to attend nursing school in Charlotte and she has been accepted. She has an appt to meet with the lady and take a tour Aug 5th which means they will have to be moved in by the 4th. The lady told her that they don't have waiting lists and that DD will be able to start with the new class in October. This is a real answer to prayer.

Now I have to get my act together since I have about 3 weeks to get this house ready for them to move in.

Y'all have a great day.

Ruthxxx
07-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Patty, you are one busy lady. Remember to take some "me" time as you prep for this big change in your life.

Hi there to the rest of us. I'm really pressed for time these days but am noticing that our heat bothers me much less since I ditched 25 pounds. BGL has been running fine since that scary low on Sunday. I've no idea what caused it but am being careful of what I eat at night. Still have not called to schedule bloodwork! :nono:

I'm outta here to water the garden and then go to the Fair Hall to sort schoolwork for judging on Thursday. It'll be hot but worse as the day goes on.

Stay calm, cool and collected.

Wannabehealthy
07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=pattygirl63;Just got an exciting phone call from DD while writing this. She had a telephone interview with a lady to attend nursing school in Charlotte and she has been accepted. She has an appt to meet with the lady and take a tour Aug 5th which means they will have to be moved in by the 4th. The lady told her that they don't have waiting lists and that DD will be able to start with the new class in October. This is a real answer to prayer.

Now I have to get my act together since I have about 3 weeks to get this house ready for them to move in.

Y'all have a great day.[/QUOTE]

Trish, Kudos to your DD for going to nursing school. After a couple hospital stays recently, I realize how hard they work and how short handed they are. May she do well in school and go on to have a rewarding career!

Carol

gothik butterfly
07-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Still around.. just had a crazy weekend. I am proud to say that between the Girls Naughty Night, the wedding shower AND the bachelorette party, I did NOT have any alcohol. The downside is that I didn't check my blood sugar regularly and while I made good food choices, I probably didn't have enough calories nor did I eat regular meals and I missed 1 metformin pill on Saturday night (the night of the bachelorette party)

Now I'm out of testing strips. My poor kitty had to go to the vet this weekend. She has a uti and crystals in her tract and the vet bill depleted my account. I get paid friday but I'm out of testing strips as well as my meds for my bi polar. Trying to get a payday loan... says I've been approved but seems like by the time I get it, it will be friday anyway and I could have saved myself the 75$ fee.

Bestie's wedding is 11 days away. I can't wait for it to all be official so I can have money in my pocket again.

pattygirl63
07-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Doctor's appt went fine. I'm waiting to here about the thyroid, but he said he had checked it a year ago and it was very good. However, he said he would check it again just to be good. We forgot to discuss the A1c so I don't know what it was. Maybe the nurse will tell me when she calls me with the results of the thyroid test. We did discuss me doing low carb instead of the other plans we had discussed before. I told him that I had tried them and they just didn't seem to work for me. I am really blessed because my doctor has no problem with low carb diets. He said that most of the time that any diets will work for just about any one, but that there are some people they just don't work for. He did give me the go ahead to start taking 2 Metformins a day to help me get my glucose under control and gave me a prescription for more of them. So I'm doing Atkin's Induction for at least about a week. Then I will start adding a few carbs back a little at a time. I don't think starchy foods whole grain or not will be added into my woe.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement on my new journey. It is going to be happening sooner. We got another phone call from DD last night and seems that DSIL got a phone call from his new job in Charlotte and they want him to report to work on August 5th to start training. So they are moving here 2 weeks from today instead of the originally planned 3. Ruthie It may be difficult at first but I think when things get settled, I will be able to make some "me" time maybe when the baby takes a nap.

Everyone have a great day!

pattygirl63
07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Well, I tried doing Atkins Induction. I had chicken and salad for lunch and chicken and okra for supper. I suddenly can't stand the taste of the chicken. I don't know if that goes with diabetes or not. I am thinking of low carb vegatarian but not really sure how to do that, so I think I will just do a modified low carb diet. I will use a little bit of protein, veggies and fruit and use very little if any processed foods.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-12-2011, 08:29 PM
:wave: HEY THERE ~ I finally have my new(er) computer; my DAD & stepmother brought it up from the south on the JULY 1/4th holiday weekend, then the PUC guy came and hooked the high-speed internet for me yesterday. WOW ... what a huge difference; it is amazing! Now I can hop all over the place and post more often.

TRISH ~ my doc wants to check my thyroid again; it was fine last time, but he wants to check it again. Now, I just have to get over to the hospital for the tests ... DH has been busy so much lately and I need to make a mental note to remember; or maybe a note to read my notes ... :lol: Sounds like your life will be a lot busier very soon ... oh, I just love, love, love chicken -- cooked many different ways (baked, fried, BBQ'd, deli spit roasted -- my fave); I could eat it 4+ times a week, no problemo ... ;)

A belated :welcome: to BUTTERFLY & SLMN (Carol) & RIE & CATHOLIC CAJUN & HI TO LINDY ~ will have to catch up reading on this thread; I used to post here more regularly, but my old machine was an aging snail compared to this one ...

CAJUN ~ I just read a fun book about Louisianna Cajuns; a romance with lots of history mixed in the story. It's fun to learn as we are entertained too ...

BUTTERFLY ~ good for you resisting the alcohol.

RIE ~ a drive-in movie; remember those days. WE don't have those up here anymore. I haven't been to one since my 20's I think; miss them, they were so fun, and have fond memories of them ...

RUTH ~ busy as always I see; but a trouper nonetheless ... only some of my flowers came up this year; but more of others that someone else must have planted before -- tulips, daffodils, Irises, large bluebells, painted daisies & lots of shasta daisies, bee balm, my flower bushes, and my daylilies are trying valiantly to come back despite being chopped off by a non-gardener ... The wine, dears; it's the wine ... ;)

FATMAD ~ you had a treat -- you'll get things under control again; you always do ...

MUCH GOOD NEWS FOR US THESE DAYS ~ we bought a house in May; and we are moving in August. We had to wait until the tenants living there found a house of their own: they did, and have moved out now. We are very excited as you regulars know; so looking forward to peace & quiet ...

The weather has cooled off a bit, and it's still quite humid but we'll take it over the horrible heat (in the 90's here some days). I have lots of stuff packed; at least half now I think. We cleaned out drawers in the kitchen today.

My eating is going well, with only a couple of slips which is fab really. I am even getting so I can take 2 bites of something and give the rest to DH. What an improvement that is for me. I tried on all my clothes for moving (giving almost half away); and discovered that I can now fit into a size 18 top. I'd like them a tad looser, but that's a start. I still am a bit bigger on the bottom becuz of my tummy, but I'm working on that ... ;)

Hope you are all having a lovely summer; from what I have read so far, you are doing well for the most part -- keep it up ... Rosebud :flow2:

Riemontana
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Hello All!

I tried to post this morning but my internet was down. I went in for my fasting blood draw. My dr is moving to a new office at the hospital complex. After wandering for over an hour and getting mixed up directions from the "information booths" I found that they are still in their old office because they delayed the move! Grrrrr! All this without my coffee. I really need to reconsider my caffeine addiction because it gave me a headache! fbs was 82 this morning and it has stayed in the 80's all day. I have eaten really well.

Hi back Rosebud! Congrats on your new computer. Glad that you are back. I look forward to getting to know you.

Trish, I don't know about diabetes changing your taste but adjusting to a new diet changes things. My tastes have changed a lot over the last few months. Try to remember to ask the nurse about your A1c. I'll bet there has been improvement. Oh, and about the excercise? When I started last September I could only go for about 10 minutes. I added 5 minutes a week and I thought that I would pass out some days. LOL just try to do what you can do and create a habit.

Gothic, I bought a freestyle lite meter and when I went online to register, Abbot.com allowed me to join and they sent me a card. I have good insurance but my strips were still expensive. This membership makes them only $15 for 100 strips. The program is dependent on how many scripts are in your prescription but my doc increased my prescription so I never run out.

Carol, I hope that you are feeling better from your recent health issues.

Ruth, you are sure a busy lady. It sounds like you are very involved in your community. That's cool. :D I don't know how things work there. Do you actually need an appt to get your bloodwork done? My dr leaves an order for lab work to be done prior to my next appointment. That way I can just get up and go in while fasting - I don't need to commit to a specific time. Can you do that?

Cajun, how was the concert?

Fatmad, I bet that you are busy since you have returned from your trip. I hope that you are well and feeling more rested.

Later!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Rosebud Welcome back. I've missed you. Glad you got the new computer and I know you are excited about your new home. That will be fun.
I'm surprised how I felt about the chicken as there was a time I didn't think I could get enough of it especially during the days we ate it fried. My deceased hubby used to tease me saying that one of these days I was going to lay an egg because I ate so much chicken. I do enjoy eggs especially egg salad, but can't seem to stand the small of chicken raw or cooked. I ended up eating Greek yogurt with some banana and strawberries in it so I could take my second Metformin.

Rie Thanks for the advice about the exercise. DH put the stationary bike back in our bedroom so I can go in there by myself after kids move in and use it. I can do 5 minutes on it at a time. I need to work at 5 minutes 2 or 3 times a day.

It is so hot here right now that I'm not really hungry. I'm more thirsty than hungry so I'm getting all my water drank. Another hot day tomorrow and then it is supposed to be back in the 80s for a few days. Don't know if it is just me, but it seems hotter this year than it has been since we moved here almost 5 years ago.

I'm getting organized for the kids moving in. I made a list of things I can get done before they move in. Some things we need them to help move, but we will get done what we can before they get here.

Catch y'all tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
07-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Chugging along with weight the same and BGL at my "normals". I seem to have conquered the sleep problem. Now to get the weight moving down again!

No time for personals. Life has suddenly really accelerated for many reasons, some self-inflicted but others out of my control. :shrug:

fatmad
07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
HI everyone, Had to check in again, if I don't come regularly I slip up. Yes, I have been doing better again, not induction level low carb, but about 40-50g carbs, and I am doing ok. One thing is that DH has gotten onto a social swing, and we are having guests for supper for the next couple of days. I will have to be careful to not overindulge. I did go to yoga yesterday. Something about a guided practice makes me go longer and harder than on my own.
I have been enjoying reading everyone's posts, and will stop by later today or tomorrow and chat more. Thanks for thinking of me in your days, I really appreciate it, and think of my friends here often.

Riemontana
07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Good morning all

fbs at 81 this morning. I had a healthy, on plan day all day yesterday and allowed myself a skinny cow (100 cal) ice cream bar with gs last night. It was yummy. I did my shorter, more intense aerobic workout this morning. I feel relaxed and rested.

Work stress has been bad this week but it hasn't impacted my blood sugar.

Sorry, no time for personals today. Have a good day.

Rie

Lindy87
07-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Last night it was still 95 deg at 8:30 and we got Ralph's italian ices (the most bestest ices in the world). I got the no sugar added but got an extremely large one. Sugar alcohols have never bothered me before but this most have had so many. I was sick all night long. Bloated, the worst gas I have ever had, and in the bathroom every 10 minutes for about 4-5 hours. It as horrible. The good news is that it really cleared out my system and I ended up loosing a ton of weight. Probably back up tomorrow cause that is not really a healthy weight loss but today the scale made me happy: 256. No ices tonight and probably not for a while.

pattygirl63
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Just a quick flyby to say hello. Eating is going good. I've started moving things around. Moved rocker from enclose back porch and took a chair from living room out there. Not sure what to do with my recliner. I've got to get some things packed to make room for kids stuff, but need to get some newspaper for wrapping. Turns out DH kept some of the boxes from when we moved in here so hopefully I have enough boxes. I don't want to have to store too many things in storage with the kids stuff.

Lindy Another hot day for us too. 98 with an index of 110, but is supposed to be 91 tomorrow and then back into the 80s for a few days at least. I need to nap in the afternoon and work at night when it is cooler, but I've got too much day stuff to do this week.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ it's also too hot here to eat much around suppertime, so this morning, I made beef stroganoff and we ate it for lunch. It was only 70F at that time. Now, it is much hotter in here as our kitchen is on the north-west side of the house -- in the summer, we roast in the evenings. DH is wandering around with no shirt on and moaning about the heat ... :lol: In the new house, our kitchen is on the east side; and we have porches on both the east & west sides, so that should help keep things cooler for us.

We will just have something very lite for supper; think I'll make myself a salad to go with whatever I have. I am making DH a deli bunwich, but I'll have something else with my salad as I'm trying to limit the bread too; and I had the pasta for lunch already (it was good though).

TRISH ~ when we get into our new house, I'm getting DH to set up my rowing machine again; there is no room here for it. That will be one advantage of a house -- lots more space, plus less noise from neighbours.

Went to the lawyers today; had to fix "a name" problem -- it was simpler than I thought, as they are fixing it for us. It derived from letters being dropped out my name (computer losses?), so had to get that straightened out for the house deal. Things are looking better as time goes on.

Had a good eating day; gotta watch my knees today, so no extra stuff being done to rest them. I call it my in between day; and just doing my toning exercises & handbell work.

Have a great week ... Rosebud :val3:

fatmad
07-14-2011, 08:00 AM
HI Everyone: especially welcome back to Rosebud, so nice to see you again, and great for you to be able to surf instead of slog on the internet again.

I am down a pound, hurray, and on my way to the next. I did have some dessert yesterday, so will have to be careful tonight, and have more company coming, but hoping for a quieter weekend. DD is having some friends stay over, but they are walking down the road to a nearby farm party and are using our place to crash after that, so there will be no driving after the drinking.

This morning's fbs was a nice 4.4, I am so pleased. So between the weight loss and the blood sugar, I feel I am getting back on track. I have been indulging in some sugar free ice cream. The weather has been hot and humid, but must admit I am enjoying it. Only thing is that its been very dry with no rain for a couple of weeks now, and the farmers and the lawn could use some rain. (I won't water the lawn, but have watered the flowers and veggies. )

Trish, about the chicken. I had to finally admit, I don't like chicken breasts.
With atkins, its ok to have a higher fat count, so the dark meat is just fine. SO I will eat drumsticks, and thighs, but the closest I get to white meat is the wings. Fortunately, if you want to avoid chicken, there are lots of options, fish, especially "fatty" fish like salmon, lamb, beef, and even turkey thighs. Pork is good, DH likes a nice tenderloin, and if you are careful about filler ingredients, a good sausage is nice on the grill. (on atkins you don't want a lot of breadcrumbs etc, but fat and spice is ok!)
The other thing is that you get tired of eggs for breakfast so often, so I have been having some regular fat cheeses to start my day, greek yoghurt, or even a smoothie with protein powder, and then I really enjoy the eggs every 3rd day or so.
So long for now friends. Have a lovely summer day.
(oops, how northern hemisphere of me!)

Riemontana
07-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Good morning all!

fbs is at 82 this morning. I have a low grade fever and a stuffy nose so I skipped my workout in favor of hot tea and vitamins. I can't stay home today so I will muddle through.

I agree about chicken breasts. I am ok with chx breasts in stir fry or other recipes but if it is just baked or grilled, I prefer dark meat. I know that there is increased fat but I figure portion control still keeps me on the right side of things. We have been getting pork tenderloin at really great prices here. I find it to be versatile as it really takes on seasoning and works for various preparations.

Rosebud, it sounds like the new house is going to be very comfortable for you.

Fatmad, you are back on it in a big way! Good for you.

Trish, it sounds like you are into the countdown for your new household in a big way. Don't work too hard!

Lyndy, I hate how we can look to treats/food that we think is a good choice and it doesn't work out. Keep at it.

I watered the garden early this morning and I am so pleased that I have several cucumbers hanging on the vine. I expect to start eating fresh cukes within a few days. They grow so fast in this kind of heat. I planted a burpless hybrid variety that is very similar to english cukes, my favorite.

Have a great day.
Rie

Lindy87
07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Officially down 10 lbs. So excited. Just had to share as I am running out this morning. Have a great day!

gothik butterfly
07-14-2011, 01:52 PM
holy moly this diabetic testing stuff is expensive. Between that and the rest of my prescriptions (for bi polar and high triglicerides) my monthly expenditures for meds is over 120 bucks!

My belly isn't as round anymore.

Lovin it! Can't wait til the next time the doc weighs me to see if I've lost more!

pattygirl63
07-14-2011, 07:35 PM
:wave:Hi Everyone,

Fatmad & Rie I only eat chicken breast in stirfry's as well. I do love chicken wings and used to like chicken wings but didn't like them too much this time. I bought frozen from Wal-Mart. Maybe I need to by fresh from the other store in town. I do have to say that I love pork and you can use pork in a lot of recipes that calls for chicken. I am blessed to like eggs, but find I need to make them in many different ways. And I also like some fish, but really prefer it fried with cornmeal.

Fatmad Congratulations on the lb loss and the great FBG reading. You have done a great job of getting back on track. It is really great having you back.

Rie Hope you are feeling better soon.

Lindy87 Congratulations on your 10 lb loss.

Butterfly I agree that diabetic testing supplies are expensive and meds aren't any less expensive.

I had a difficult time getting back on track when I got home from my trip to TX, but I finally feel I'm in control again and it sure feels good. There are things I like about Atkins and SBD so I do what I call kind of a combination of the 2. I'm not counting calories or carbs and it seems to be working for me because I eat only when I'm hungry... I don't eat just because it is time to eat or because I still have calories or carbs to eat for the day. It is working so far. My FBG is still up a bit but the same for the past few days and I have stopped gaining weight even level offed. So I think the weight and FBG will eventually begin coming back down. I'm beginning to think higher FBG is just the stress of having to get so much done in less than 2 weeks. Besides getting ready for the kids to move in a week sooner, I have a ladies meeting at church Sunday and had volunteered to bring food before I knew the kids were coming sooner adding to my busy days. However, I am excited about trying out a new egg recipe I found online that is low carb. They are suppoed to be made as muffins but I'm going to make it as a large casserole. I went by a local store and ordered a fruit platter to take as well. I am thrilled with the fact that since I'm taking these foods that I will be able to have brunch with the ladies and stay on plan. I believe I will be able to stay on plan when the kids move in because it is important to help DD reinforce for the children to eat healthy. The youngest girl likes eating what Nannie eats so if I eat healthy meals and snacks so will she.

Ruthie, Rosebud and others:wave:

Y'all have a good evening.

fatmad
07-15-2011, 06:48 AM
hi everyone, fbs was a lovely 4.6 today. I am up early again though, having trouble sleeping past 5 am, for some reason, (sun isn't even up yet, but can't get back to sleep, although I may sleep again in a bit, after an hour up, I am sepy again).
I am wondering a bit about fasting blood sugars. Yes, I haven't eaten in over 8 hours, but, if a person wakes up and is moving around, (like going into the lab etc) does that affect your sugars? Gut says yes, your body will respond to activity of any kind by releasing stored glucose, or even making now glucose in the liver if needed. How much of the lab values of fasting glucose are affected by this, and what is more important in terms of blood glucose management?
ok, so my theoretical musings are not helpful in terms of management.

We had our old friends from the east coast over for supper last night. They have a teen boy (who didn't come, he stayed in town with friends) and two younger kids, 6 and 4. It was a delight to have little people around playing, even if they did act like squabbling siblings at times, so normal! I got to tell a story, and act it out, and play with a toy train, and legos and playmobile..... Can't wait to have grandkids running about the place. A good time had by all, and a lovely visit with the parents too. Oh yes, and supper was good too.

Today a more quiet day, hope do catch up on paperwork and emails.
Lindy, I am so pleased for you, your plan and approach must be working! Good on you. Trish, if the mix of atkins and sbd are right for you, go with it.
have a great tgif everyone.

Ruthxxx
07-15-2011, 08:14 AM
TGIF indeed! I am winding up the week from he**! Things should be better next week although I have bloodwork and a mammogram scheduled plus two pet therapy sessions. Delta Fair starts on the 21st but my schoolwork entries (977 of them) are judges and ion display. I have a bit of paperwork to do and that'll be "it".

Food has not been stellar this week - I'm better at planning than at executing. :shrug: I had a scary low yesterday which I fixed with some honey. What do you chickies use when your BGL bottoms out?

Keep on truckin' and have a great weekend.

Riemontana
07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Good Morning all!

fbs at 82 this morning and I got in an hour of Walk it Out excercise. I really wanted to walk outside but I am getting too much sun these days so I stayed indoors. I am trying to introduce a little healthy fruit in my diet since my bs control has been really good. I am pairing reasonable portions with a small protein - hopefully that works. This morning I had a small apple, 1 tbs peanut butter, and 1 oz ff cream cheese for breakfast.

Ruth, Wow, almost 1000 entries? You are so busy. I am so glad that you got your blood draw appt. Now you can start nagging me about the mamogram. I have been putting it off and it is dumb because it is free under my insurance. (not a lot is free for me :mad:) When I have a low, I use those little individually portioned juices. I like sunny d lite. It has about 17 carbs. I usually carry a little kids juice box in my bag. It corrects me nicely without the rebound spike and another low.

Fatmad, I am interested in that very question. I know that my bs skyrockets with excercise and then comes back down again. When I went for my blood draw, I spent more than an hour wandering around, irritated and stressed, trying to find where the dr office had moved. I will let you know how that worked out on the fasting level. I see my dr on Tuesday.

Trish, you are doing great!

Gothic, do you have a Sam's club where you are? I get most of my meds for $5 per month. Did you see my earlier post about the Abbot.com? On the other hand, I figure I was spending lots on soda, fast food and other junk in my former life. ;)

Lyndy. Wow, 10 pounds!

Anyone I missed..... Have a great Friday!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Fatmad Yes the combo is working nicely. My FBS was down 4 pts and weight is down 1 lb... and tho small down is good. I wonder about the FBSs myself. I've been waking up ready to get up and get busy and my FBS isn't lose, but seems to go down later. I read somewhere that a woman said that her doctor said the FBS reading wasn't as important as what it reads later in the day. Many times my BS reading is 115 three hours after breakfast. And actually that is always the reading 3 hrs after I eat fruit. Really makes me wonder what is going on since I thought the fruit would make it go up instead of becoming normal. Interesting to say the least. I love being a grandmother and am looking forward to having the GC around. Oldest DGD called last night before she went to bed. I always said that I loved being a Mom, but I really love being a grandma.

Ruthie You know I've been reading of people having glucose lows even on Metformin which my doctor said doesn't happen. So I don't know if I have them or not. However, I think honey would be a good way to deal with it.

Rie I love my fruit especially this time of the year. My new "personal" woe that I planned for myself is working great for me because I feel free to pick and choose foods I really like and enjoy. The nice thing is that I'm finding that I really do like and enjoy healthier foods and the best part is that I'm not stressed out by thinking about food all the time.

Butterfly I shopped around and found lower priced strips. I didn't know about the ones at Sam's, but I use ReliOn at Wal-Mart because they were the cheapest I could find. I am on Medicare. Although I could probably get them for free I don't want them getting into my business so I chose not to go through Medicare. If I did Medicare, I would have to check glucose every time they wanted me to do it and write it down for the doctor to send them a copy. This way I can check my BS many times during the day on the days I choose which I do sometimes just to see how a certain/new food I'm eating affects my bs, but doing it this way I don't have to do it everyday to meet Medicare requirements Just my preference.

Decided to pack up the girly things in the room that will be DGS room and decided to take some of my things or things I want out of there and put them somewhere else. Decided that DGD might want some of those girly type things that belonged to their GGM in their room. So I will wait till they get here and let them decide what they want and then box up what they don't want.

Well DH is up and I've got to go decide what to fix him to eat. We don't necessarily eat the same foods these days. Strange our DD is really his DD but you would think she was mine. We both love to eat healthier foods and like the same foods that her Mom wouldn't eat when she was living and that her Daddy doesn't like. DH says he and her Mom used to wonder where she came from. I tease him and tell him they had her for me. LOL She and her children are realy blessings to me.

Y'all have a great day.

Ruthxxx
07-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Good morning and happy weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion about SunnyD. I'll get a few bottles to have in case of lows. Not needed this morning as I have a good solid 4.2 (75.6) which is my usual FBGL.

We are in for a stretch of hot and humid weather so I am thinking BBQ (not marinated meat!) and salads and veggies for the next few days. I really want to be solidly back into the 170s by Thursday when Delta Fair opens. I have to be on stage for the opening ceremony and want to feel good about it. Vanity, vanity, thy name is woman!

I'm off to get into my garden duds and tackle some weeds before it gets steamy out there. Enjoy your weekend.

Wannabehealthy
07-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Ruthie You know I've been reading of people having glucose lows even on Metformin which my doctor said doesn't happen. So I don't know if I have them or not. However, I think honey would be a good way to deal with it.

Butterfly I shopped around and found lower priced strips. I didn't know about the ones at Sam's, but I use ReliOn at Wal-Mart because they were the cheapest I could find.Decided to pack up the girly things in the room that will be DGS room and decided to take some of my things or things I want out of there and put them somewhere else. Decided that DGD might want some of those girly type things that belonged to their GGM in their room. So I will wait till they get here and let them decide what they want and then box up what they don't want.

Y'all have a great day.

Hi Trish,

I was interested in your comment that people on Metformin don't get glucose lows. I am on Metformin and to my knowledge I have never had a low reading since diagnosed in 2008. (lowest reading I've ever had was 82) A nurse on another board INSISTS that I am having them but don't know it. I even got up at 2 AM one day to test because she said I'm probably having them in the middle of the night. LOL

I am also on Medicare and I use the Up and Up strips from Target. They are the WaveSense which is probably the same thing you are getting from WalMart. My insurance would pay for the One Touch I was using before but I have to meet a high deductible before they will pay.

Carol

Riemontana
07-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Good Morning. Happy Weekend!

fbs at 100 this morning. What? 92 at bed time.... maybe it is the fact that I slept for almost 8 hours last night. Hmmmm, well, still in range.

I am headed into town to play in the Big Sky State Games billiards today. I am not playing well so I don't expect a medal but I am looking to just enjoy playing. Then, a little shopping and a photo shoot with my parents tonight.

Carol, a low is possible on metformin if one doesn't eat. I'm not sure how a nurse on the board or anywhere could insist that you have lows without testing your blood. If she is talking (under 70) I don't know how she can say that. The purpose on testing at night is to determine if a mid-sleep low is sending your morning numbers rebounding. I don't get lows at night, either, but if I go too many hours without eating, my liver panics and sends out sugar. This was solved for me with a planned snack before bed. It has stabilized my morning bs and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.

Everyone have a good day!

Rie

Ruthxxx
07-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Yup, lows are definitely possible on Metformin. I am on 1500 per day. I'm a shining example.

pattygirl63
07-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I had a busy morning. I got up early enough to do all I needed to do before I had to leave to run by the store pick up my fruit platter I had ordered for todays church ladies meeting. My egg dish I made took longer than what the recipe called for, but then I tripled the recipe and obviously didn't allow for extra cooking time. I had also planned to make it a baked casserole instead of muffins. I ended up taking it out of the oven at the last few minutes and finished it in my wok skillet. It actually turned out fluffy and was a hit at the brunch meeting. It was low carb and healthy. Our church furnishes finger foods before church on Sunday mornings as people arrive. I think that I'm going to buy some of those small muffin pans I saw at the store the other day and actually make them as muffins and take them on Sundays. The pastor's wife and I do low carb and it would be nice to be able to have a low carb snack for us on Sunday mornings and at church functions as well. I probably could have made about half of what I made since a lot of women were out traveling this summer. I've got enough lest over for my breakfast for the next 3 or 4 days.

Y'all have a great weekend.

TamTam
07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Hello all. My fbs is up and down. Weighed in this morning and am down 2 pounds. Hope I can keep this up. Monday I go for my 1st of 2 diabetes classes. Have a blessed evening.

fatmad
07-16-2011, 11:34 PM
I have been dow another pound for a few days, but have been reluctant to post it, because I didn't really believe it was real. It seemed to just go, without me "working" hard enough to lose it. But, I think I have succeeded in reducing portion sizes a bit. And overall calories are likely down a bit, and I am having an easier time sticking to atkins with the summer here, and all the good veggies available, not just to me, but at potlucks, and restaurants.
I also think that sleep is helping. Don't know if I mentioned, I did not take my cpap on my holiday to africa, had a dental appliance fitted, and didn't find it was helpful to a great degree. But now that I am home and using the cpap, that may be helpuing rev the metablolism up again too.
Had an allnighter and slept during the day today, had an atkins bar during the night, and a healthy breakfast before sleep, and a good supper tonight. Took a walk after supper, and will go to bed early tonight to catch up on sleep.
I tested sugars during the night, and after the meals, and have been fine.

Oh what a lovely weekend it has been so far. Ruth, I hope the gardening is going well and its not too humid for you. I love this weather. hot hazy summer days. ttfn

Lindy87
07-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Great day today. Beautiful weather and a first birthday celebration for my great neice. Ate way too many carbs today and probably gained but I did not eat any cake or dessert. Going to stick to a healthy plan tomorrow.

gothik butterfly
07-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Went to see Harry Potter last night and then out to dinner. Proud that I had a huge salad, the friday fish fry and the crab and spinach alfredoish topping (without the tortellini) I also had a very small square of cheesecake. very small. and i do not feel at all bad about it.

My jeans are falling off my butt. haha yay!

Blood sugars have been fine, nothing above 115 and nothing below 74.

I hope to be a somewhat less -bellied maid of honor come next Saturday! Maybe i will even post a pic or two.

Gonna check into other options for my testing strips. and actually pay attention to what my insurance covers and doesn't cover.

have a great night and morning!

Kari

Ruthxxx
07-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Good morning. I finally am back to 177 and hope to be a bit lower by next Sunday. Delta Fair starts Thursday but I find it very, very easy to avoid Fair Food for some reason. I'll just not go near the booth with the BBQ ribs!

It was really, really hot and humid here yesterday. I did garden work for two hours and finally had to quit and hole up in the AC. Food was good and I even made and ate a wee potato salad with some new taters. I expected a high reading this morning from the carbs but was 4.2. :shrug:

Have a cool day in every way.

TamTam
07-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Morning all. Got back from church and the store started doing things ate breakfast and then realized I forgot to check my fbs when I got up this morning, still getting in the habit I guess. Have a blessed day.

Riemontana
07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 87 this morning. I did one hour, 20 minutes of toning/aerobics. My son surprised me with a lower carb version of my beloved german pancakes with sf maple syrup. (very eggy, not much flower baked dish). They were really good for a total of 24 carbs. I pulled weeds in my little garden box and I have the water soaking in now. I will be picking the 2 first cucumbers of the season tonight.:) I did my measurements today (monthly) and I am down a solid inch straight through my middle from bust to hips. Actually almost 2 inches on my waist. My lower abdomen is holding on to the belly but I remain hopeful;)

Fatmad, congrats on the weight loss and on managing the allnighter. Perhaps the CPAP is helping and perhaps it is simply the mindfullness that comes with being back in your routine. Thanks for the thread on metformin. When I first started and I was taking the glypizide with met, the lows were really scary and made me feel fragile. I'm sure that lots of people will learn from the discussion. I know that I wish I had found this site earlier.

Cajun, don't worry about occasionally forgetting to test. As long as you work toward it being a habit, you will do fine.

Ruth, cool on the 177! You don't have trouble with fair food? I am so jealous.

Kari, I hope that you get good info on testing supplies and insurance. I absolutely love my Abbot membership and my meter. I never even think about how much the strips cost me because $15 per month is so reasonable. I think it is unfortunate that my dr office didn't have better info for me - they are diabetes specialists! Even with my good insurance, the strips were $45 for about 25 days. Anyway, good luck!

Today I am going to stay in the air conditioning and re-grout the tub and deep clean my bathroom. Having workmen in next week and I want it to be more than spotless.

Have a great Sunday!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Looks like everyone is doing great.

Ruthie Congrats on the 177 and good FBG. You do such a great job with eating well with so much food around you.

Fatmad Congratulations on the 1 lb loss.

Kari I hope you find the right testing supplies for you.

CC, Rie and others:wave:

Had a terrible headache last night and I have no idea when I finally went to sleep. I got up and went to church any way as I want to get into the habit of going and getting involved. DD and her kids will expect it when they get here and I don't want to disappoint them. In fact, there will be things I can volunteer for when they get here because we have only one car and I know DH doesn't want to have to go early so I don't volunteer right now. When the kids move in, we will have to take 2 cars so I can take our car and go early to help as hostess and DH can come with the kids. Also, found out from a friend about a Bible study class on Thursday nights I can attend. There is no way I can go to the study group I used to go to on Wednesday mornings one DD starts school or goes to work, because I not only would have to get the kids to and from school, but I would have to take the baby and I just don't think I could do that. The new class would work for me because DH, DD and her kids will be here to watch him while I'm at class. That will also give me something I can do for me each week.

Well, would you believe that I actually find myself on Atkins Induction? I didn't really plan it, but it seems to be the way my body wants to eat. So why not? I got the results of my blood work and thyroid is perfectly fine. My overall cholesterol was up just a tad... I still don't understand how that works because triglycerides were normal and so was the bad choloesterol although the good needed improvement but wasn't too bad. However, that tells me that while trying the different suggested diets, I didn't mess up my system too badly which I consider a real blessing. I also know from last year that being back on Atkins will correct all that. I weighed this morning and will try to only weigh once a week remembering that scales don't always tell you what good things are happening with low carbing, however, the measuring tape is a better friend to low carbing than the scale. So I took measurement which is something I usually forget to do when I low carb. So I am really pleased to find myself back on the low carb AI track. I kind of just eased into it. So made the decision to just go with it and commit to it. Hopefull when I go back to the doc in 3 months, my blood work will be normal, FBG improved and hopefully I'll have a weight loss. Will finish up Induction about the time the kids get here and boy will I need the energy I'm supposed to have by then. LOL

I know a lot of people don't like the new Atkins plan, but it answered a lot of questions for me as it seemed to much more simply explained than the original which seemed more for Medical people than us nonmedical. I have both books and thanks to the new book, I was better able to understand some things that Dr. Atkins recommended that I didn't seem to catch or understand in his book. Now I know the why's to some of the rules, etc. To me the new book compliments the original. I still count carbs Dr. Atkins way rather than the new books way. I don't think I'll get off plan ever again like I did when we went on our trip or at least I hope I don't. It has taken me all this time since we got back home... a very difficult time of 6 weeks or more to get back on track. NOT WORTH ALL the time lost and the struggle. Especially when I think of where I could have been if I had stayed on plan.

Still working on getting things ready for the kids. They'll be here in less than 2 weeks now. I'm working on getting things moved around in my kitchen now. I packed up DDs Mother's china so she can have it when they finally get into a home of their own again. Cleaned out the cabinets so they can use them as their pantry besides the regular pantry we will share They are bringing the fridge to use too. One just isn't going to be big enough for so many people and DD thought we could keep snack foods in their fridge for the kids.

Y'all have a great Sunday evening.

pattygirl63
07-18-2011, 12:15 AM
I am absolutely amazed at how little I have eaten today and I was positively satisfied. I only ate when I was hungry except for once when I started getting the cloudy thinking, but wasn't really hungry so I just had a cheese stick for a snack to get me through it. This has been so easy today. Just had to share. Good night.

Ruthxxx
07-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Cheese sticks! I'd forgotten about them and will get some today. Thanks for the memory nudge, Patty.

BGL a tad low at 3.2 this morning but I feel OK. Two friends dropped in late yesterday and we threw together an impromptu supper of sauteed Swiss chard, goat cheese, green onions and cherry tomatoes with a side of yellow and green garden beans. I probably should have had a bit more protein and maybe even a slice of the great ww bread from the Mill. I'm still learning. Today will be better.

TamTam
07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Morning all. Going to my first diabetes education clasd this morning, I hope it answers a few questions I have, and then off to the second one Wednesday, this is the one where we learn about food. Have a blessed day.

TamTam
07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
I was told that as a diabetic I cannot have figs or beets, can anyone help me with this?

Ruthxxx
07-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Check it out at your class. I eat both with no ill effects. They are both higher GI foods but should be OK in moderation. No food is off limits for diabetics but it must be in controlled servings.

Enjoy your class.

Riemontana
07-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Good morning all

fbs at 84 this morning but I have a lot of joint pain today. Tried working out and I had to stop. I guess this is an off day.:( I have registered for the Presidential Fitness Challenge and I am working toward a fitness medal. It will probably take me at least a year but it is a fun way to log activity.

I am attempting to integrate some fruit in my diet. The few days I have been trying to have a piece of fruit paired with protein (today and apple with a cheese stick and a little peanut butter). Hopefully, I can maintain a healthy bs that way.

I have a long work day today and then several dr appointments tomorrow. I will be back later.

Rie

gothik butterfly
07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
morning all!

Back to work... but a short week due to my bestie's wedding, I will be taking Friday off to prepare.

This morning I noticed my boobs are sitting further out than my belly now. WOOT! Can't wait to try my dress on and see how much better it looks, and feels! Somewhere in here, I'm finding my shape again!

TamTam
07-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Hello all. The diabetes class was interesting, today we learned about the disease, what causes it, the symptoms, how the meds work, why our bodies don't work, mine is my weight the man who is in the class with me is because he inherited it from his parents, which both of mine had it also, so it also could be assumed that my weight is not the only issue with the diabetes. Thursday we get to play with the plastic food-YEAH! but I think I will enjoy that class even more, the dietician will have custom food plans for us and with 3 stores I get MORE paper work by keeping a food diary for a week. Oh, by the way do any of you keep a food diary? Have a blessed day. Tammy

Riemontana
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Hello All!

I had a pretty good day at work. I will go in for a while in the morning and then I have dr appointments. I will finish the day with a hair appointment. I love my stylist and I love hanging out with him. I am looking forward to the pampering. I am also really looking forward to my dr appointment with endo. I was blessed to find him, he is really good and so very kind. Hoping for good progress on weight and blood work.

Kari, I haven't eaten figs but I eat beats. I just count them as a carb serving, not a veggie. I seem to do really well with fresh beets, maybe because of the fiber? At any rate, I strongly agree that there are no forbidden foods. Just portion control an moderation. My bs is really under control but I get really resentful of people who say, "are you allowed to eat that?". Thats why I haven't told many people. Enjoy the classes. BTW, yes, I log my food and bs readings. I have been doing it since diagnosis beginning sept 3rd. I have an excel spreadsheet that I keep on my computer. At first, I kept it in my purse. Now, I am more confident and I fill it in every couple of days. It really has increased my confidence and it keeps me real about what I am eating. I would be happy to share, just PM me with your email and I will send it as an attachment. I print periodically and keep in a book. I will be taking my book with me to dr tomorrow. It has been helpful in figuring out trends. Now, he laughs at me because I still do it. Perhaps it is my security blanket.;)

Gothic, good one. NSV! Some parts bigger than others is what we all hope for!

Ruth, your healthy supper sounds wonderful! I think it would give me a low bs, though, because of not enough carbs. I will have to saute some chard, haven't had any in a while.

Patty, glad the eating plan is going well.

Fatmad, hope all is well.

Almost forgot: Tonight we ate the first of the cucumbers from my garden. Yum. I can't wait til they really start producing - they are loaded with little ones!

Have a lovely evening.

Rie

Wannabehealthy
07-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Good Morning. Happy Weekend!

Carol, a low is possible on metformin if one doesn't eat. I'm not sure how a nurse on the board or anywhere could insist that you have lows without testing your blood. If she is talking (under 70) I don't know how she can say that. The purpose on testing at night is to determine if a mid-sleep low is sending your morning numbers rebounding. I don't get lows at night, either, but if I go too many hours without eating, my liver panics and sends out sugar. This was solved for me with a planned snack before bed. It has stabilized my morning bs and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.

Everyone have a good day!

Rie

The nurse said I must be having lows because my A1c was 5.7 but I was having high AM readings. She went by a chart she had that showed your average BS level based on your A1c. I know that numbers don't lie, but if I'm having lows I don't know when. Maybe I should check mid-sleep more often.

How do you know that your liver panics and sends out sugar? Maybe that's my problem.

Carol

fatmad
07-19-2011, 09:53 AM
The nurse said I must be having lows because my A1c was 5.7 but I was having high AM readings. She went by a chart she had that showed your average BS level based on your A1c. I know that numbers don't lie, but if I'm having lows I don't know when. Maybe I should check mid-sleep more often.

How do you know that your liver panics and sends out sugar? Maybe that's my problem.

Carol

you don't have to have lows, in order for the highs to be balanced out. Keeping the blood glucose normal for extended periods will do it just fine. a1c is a long term average (3 months!). Also, you may have periods where the sugars are low (in the 4s) without being too low.

I agree about the lack of education. My BIL never had a class, and he and his wife need one. They haven't changed how he eats, he's just taking metformin. It worked well for awhile, he lost some weight quite naturally and the a1c improved, but now its going up again, and he has put some weight back on. Of course, the question is where to get the info, and we are seeing that lots of dietitians are promoting fairly high carb diets. Even my diabetes for dummies book recommends 175 g at least per day, I would be crazy with my sugars, no matter how "good" my carbs were with that diet!

Riemontana
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Hello All

fbs at 90 this morning. I was up early but not feeling well.

Fatmad, I wish that education was required or allowed to be repeated after a few years. My dad is diabetic and the diet they eat is horrible. He is gaining lots of weight. His dr tells him and mom that he is doing "good". I try to talk to him (a little) and last time he was at the dr, he brought back a lab test result sheet. His A1c was 7.6 and the dr put 2 stars and a "great" beside it. :( his cholesteral is through the roof and he is about 75 pounds over weight. :mad: They don't even know what carbohydrates are! It also makes it hard for me to eat over there because they get mad about things that I only eat in small portions.

Carol, the "panics and sends out sugar" is a quote from my dr. He is the one who told me to have a small, late evening snack to control morning sugars. I also can't go for more than about 6 hours in the day without eating or my bs will rise. It has actually helped me have some disicpline about my eating.

Fatmad, what do you know about strategies for controlling bs under circumstances like medical procedures? I need to have the dreaded colonoscopy and I will need a cortisone shot in my knee soon. from experience, I know the shot will give me bs in the 180 to 200 range for a few hours. The dr just shrugs but it worries me.....

Ruthxxx
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Went for bloodwork this morning - Ouch! They have a very hard time drawing enough blood for all the tests and could not get enough for the HA1C. However, they do have a machine that does just the HA1c from a finger prick. My HA1C is now down from 6.5 to 6.2!!!!! I am so darned delighted. It was 7 three years ago and seemed stuck at 6.5. Victoza and losing weight are really working.

Riemontana
07-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Hello All.

It must be great news at the dr day! Yay Ruth!

My ticker is down 6 more pounds this month. I am grateful. More later.

Rie

TamTam
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Riemontana Sorry you were not feeling well this morning. I went to work with my husband and I did not feel well either, couldn't tell you exactly what was wrong, just that I did not feel well, my fbs has been a tad bit higher for the past few days and I don't know if that is it or not, but it's been a long day.

Riemontana
07-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Hello All.

Ruth, great news on your A1c progress! The lab people at my current dr always use a "butterfly" needle. It is tiny and attached to a thin tube. With the vacume style tubes, my veins collapse and I get stuck multiple times. Not any more. They can draw several tubes with no problems. That is cool that you get immediate results. I have to go in for labs then wait several days.

I had really good news, too. My blood pressure is down to 110/70. Cholesteral optimum, all other labs are normal. My A1c is 5.0. I started at 13.2 in September. I agree with you, Ruth, I think it is all weight loss.

Cajun, I hope you get to feeling better. We have had multiple storms here and when the barometer bounces around, I get a lupus flare. Hopefully, your bs will come down. I know that I had lots of fatigue before I was diagnosed, wondering now if the diabetes was the cause.....

I hope everyone has a good day.

Rie

pattygirl63
07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
A quick flyby. Just dropping by to say hello and see how everyone is doing.

Ruthie Good test results. I've come to decide that weight loss is the best thing for controlling bs.

Rie I have to get my blood drawn one week and get the results when I see the doctor the following week. Glad your blood work results were good.

Cajun Hope you are feeling better.

I notice that I've been getting tired sometime after I eat lately. I've decided that it may be that I need to eat mini meals. I've been lazy last few days and eating only 3 meals daily. That may also be what causes my FBS to be higher than normal.

Well, our kids will be here in a little over a week. I'm going to go get my nails done and a pedicure tomorrow because I won't have time next week. I usually could go almost another week, but having them done tomorrow will give me one less thing I will have to do next week.

Y'all have a great day tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Rie, this was butterfly. There are three nurses at my clinic and the nurse who is the best was off on vacation. The second string Nurse Vampires were on duty. If the amount of blood they were able to squeeze out of me isn't enough, I'll insist that Jane does the next draw.

Yes, Patty, weightloss does help diabetes. However, I also give credit to Victoza which works on BGL and weightloss. I have very little appetite and sometimes must almost force myself to eat. Who knew that would ever happen? :lol:

I'm off for a mammogram this morning and have to go and order my hearing aids sometime soon. By the time I reach 80, I should be perfect!

Wannabehealthy
07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Hello All

Fatmad, what do you know about strategies for controlling bs under circumstances like medical procedures? I need to have the dreaded colonoscopy and I will need a cortisone shot in my knee soon. from experience, I know the shot will give me bs in the 180 to 200 range for a few hours. The dr just shrugs but it worries me.....

Rie,

I have the same problem with elevated bs when I have surgical procedures and need steroids to offset an allergy to contrast dyes. The doctor just explains WHY it happens, but never seems to be concerned about it. I don't worry about it because he doesn't worry about it, probably since it's temporary. With my recent surgery, I was on insulin in the hospital, but by the time I was released I was back to only needed my Metformin.

Carol

fatmad
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Hello All

Fatmad, I wish that education was required or allowed to be repeated after a few years. My dad is diabetic and the diet they eat is horrible. He is gaining lots of weight. His dr tells him and mom that he is doing "good". I try to talk to him (a little) and last time he was at the dr, he brought back a lab test result sheet. His A1c was 7.6 and the dr put 2 stars and a "great" beside it. :( his cholesteral is through the roof and he is about 75 pounds over weight. :mad: They don't even know what carbohydrates are! It also makes it hard for me to eat over there because they get mad about things that I only eat in small portions.

It doesn't sound like it would be appropriate for you to interfere in you parents health care, (I interfere for mine, but thats another story), but if it was, I would try very hard to get them to an educator. Even the worst ones will likely help there. It may also be your dad is doing better than before, so the doc is happy. My BIL is diabetic (not prediabetic like me) and has never tested his sugars, only a1c. They have not had classes either. Wish they would.

As to the testing, for short term stuff, it is likely not worth doing a lot for it. You could ask the doctor if there is a version of golightly or whatever cleanse that you use that is low sugar. You will be fasting, so you can probably skip the metformin, which you don't want to take without food anyhow.
THe same with the cortisone, if you get back to normal within a day, you are probably ok for the occasional high. I suspect this is why the doc doesn't worry. So many people are not compliant with diet and exercise, and probably have lots of highs, so they can't figure out what you are worried about.

as for me, I am off for fasting blood work too this morning. ttfn

Riemontana
07-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Good Morning All!

I woke early this morning to a clear brisk Montana morning. I had very little joint pain so I took advantage and went on a 2 mile walk. It was nice because it was still cool outside.

Funny question of the day: "does holding in your stomach when you walk count as good form or is it simple vanity?" LOL I personally think it I simply need new workout pants that hold everything instead of letting it get all wiggly:D

Fatmad, thanks for you good advice. I think you are right that my dr thinks I worry too much. I know that I can't nag or lecture my parents. It is not respectful and won't do any good, anyway. Just worried.

Ruth, I am so sorry about the vampire phlebotomists! I would demand the one with more skills, also. Yup, I figure we all are getting better, not older!:D

Patty it sounds like you are in the home stretch getting ready for the family. Good for you! Forgive me for giving advice, but having lived in extended family situations (both as the kid and now as the parent) may I suggest the following? Have a family meeting early on and talk about goals/expectations about basic household stuff. It sure prevents misunderstandings later on.... Although it has its challenges, I personally think that it is the ideal living situation.

Cajun, hope you are feeling better.

Carol, thanks for sharing about the medical procedures....

Gothic, I hope you are having a good week.

Rie

TamTam
07-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Morning Ladies. Feeling better today,thanks. FBS still higher than I want it to be, I think I probably overdid the carbs yesterday. Tomorrow I get my custom eating plan from the dietician and that will probably help me keep them in check. Have a blessed day. Tammy

Ruthxxx
07-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Rie, my personal trainer says that sucking in your gut a lot helps flatten abs and slim waist better than crunches. She says crunches can make your waist bigger as the muscles increase in size. So suck it up, Chickie!

gothik butterfly
07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Just a quick hello! Hope those in the heat warnings are faring alright. It's miserable here in west central Wisconsin. Today is supposed to be the worst of it...

Hoping that Saturday at 85* or so feels cool for the outdoor wedding. Bestie is stressed to the max right now. I am hoping to help calm her tomorrow evening when I can stay there and put the finishing touches on everything with her.

Haven't been checking my sugars like I should be. New goal: check blood sugars right away in the morning and right before bed, regardless of how tired I am. My morning one's seem to be the higher ones... maybe I'm going too long without food? I generally like just my coffee for the first 2 - 3 hours. This morning I forced a small no sugar added applesauce cup and some almonds much earlier than normal because my sugars were at 112.

It's hump day.... not long now til the weekend...

Kari

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-20-2011, 10:12 PM
RUTH ~ you are doing well with your numbers -- sugar & weight; the new med seems to be helping a lot. Not many people can say they forget to eat; although, if I am busy, I forget sometimes too ... ;)

I agree that the doctors are usually just happy to see the numbers coming down; they don't expect perfection, but are trying to be encouraging to those patients who started out with very high numbers.

Having a good week; the temps are :hot: for here -- in the 90F today and that was with clouds and a lovely breeze, which I am very grateful for, BTW ... it made the heat easier to handle. I did laundry and lite housechores today, hanging some outside.

Had a homemade hamburger & a salad for dinner; I am doing so well that I don't have to worry about my numbers as much as you all do. Just keep plugging away; oneday@atime ... ;)

Have a great week, ladies ... Rosebud :D

fatmad
07-20-2011, 11:23 PM
am really happy that my practice group decided to have tomorrow's potluck meeting as a bbq and poolside at one member's house, its supposed to be over 30 all day, so that will be a bit easier to take, and allow me to stay on plan.
I was called away before supper, so hungry me ate a couple of cookies, but also some milk to get me through my work. BS 7.6 2 hours later. argh. and very very thirsty to boot.
Tomorrow after the meeting am going away for a few days, to sit by the lake and read books. I will take a walk or jump in the lake every now and again.
see you later everyone.

Ruthxxx
07-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Mad, that mini-vacation sounds wonderful and will certainly help bring down those numbers.

Exciting day ahead with tons of last minute things to do this morning before the Fair Gates open at 9 this morning. It's already over 80F around here and will be a record-breaking day weatherwise. I have to attend the official opening ceremony late this afternoon but am wearing the coolest outfit I own. There is a reception after the opening but it's in an AC venue so I'll be fine.

It must have been a cookie night because I had milk and a (large) cookie at bedtime last night and my reading was 7.2 this morning. :yikes:

TamTam
07-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Morning all! FBS this morning 117! Glad for that. Going to my second Diabetes class this morning the dietician will be giving me my diet plan should be interesting. Have a blessed day. Tammy

Riemontana
07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Good Morning All!

fbs at 84 today. It's gonna be another scortcher here. I have eaten my apple, cheese and a little touch of peanut butter breakfast for the 3rd day without a rise in blood sugar. I am pleased.

Fatmad. Say hello to the lake for me! Your minivacation sounds wonderful.

Ruth, enjoy the fair. I spent many years as a 4H kid and later as a 4H leader/mom. I have a sweet nostalgia for fairs!

Tammy, enjoy your class. I hope the diet looks enticing/doable for you.

Rosebud, I am glad that your numbers are solid. Remarkable progress.

Kari, wow, countdown to the wedding! Enjoy.

Today is my last day of work before my vacation. I am going with my sons/dil and gsons to the Black Hills in South Dakota. With a 2yr old and 4yr old gs's, it is a very kid friendly place to be. We have a hotel with an indoor pool. I am looking forward to this. Unfortunately, my oldest son found out yesterday that his new job will not allow him to go. So, I will try out my abilities at traveling with a 4 year old.:) The most important thing is that the little guys spend time together. Lots to do today.

Rie

gothik butterfly
07-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Good morning, all!

Last night, the "guy friend" and I had dinner at Famous Dave's. I have never eaten there before and between the corn on the cob, different bbq sauces, potato wedges and corn bread i was sure I'd be kicking myself... but it was all very very good and a nice treat. (I controlled my portions) My sugars after 2 .5 hrs were only 112. I'll take it! Definitely not something I can do all the time but I don't believe in cutting out things permanently... but portion size and now and then as a nice treat, I'm all for.

Final wedding preps for the bestie start tonight. The humidity has finally dropped and Saturday is looking to be a great day.

I may not have time to stop back in til after the wedding so have a great weekend if I don't talk to you all before.

TamTam
07-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Rie the class was very informative and fun. Of course I knew the dietician, the nurse and my class mates so that helps. Now I need to study the information and put the information into practice. But it is doable, just need to make healthier choices and watch the carbs.

Ruthxxx
07-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Back to my "normal" this morning with a 3.8 reading and no scale change. Whew! After the awards ceremony, I discovered the "dinner" was Fair Food - pulled pork and fried onions in a bun! I managed by just eating the pork and refusing the lemonade. I don't know why folks don't have SF drinks. It seems that about 1/3 of the people I know over 60 have sugar issues.

The motto for today is: Hydration and Motivation

Riemontana
07-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Good morning

fbs at 96 this morning. Maybe because I ate greet yogurt last night. I was out of my 80 calorie stuff. Oh well, still ok. I am enjoying "an apple a day" for breakfast and it hasn't seemed to change my sugars.

Today is a day of heavy tasks to get ready for my trip. Errands to run, car to clean, and a couple of household chores. Tomorrow I want to be able to just do laundry, pack and relax.

Ruth, it sounds like you did well at the dinner. I don't understand why they don't offer non-sugar drinks. In my opinion, water should always be an option, at the least. I'm going to join you in the hydration quest. I have become aware that I seriously don't drink enough water.

Have a good day.

Rie

Riemontana
07-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

Thought I would share this lunch today. (I know when I started I couldn't figure out what to eat) Made 2 turkey rolls with:2 shaved slices smoked turkey, 2 slices vlassic kosher stacker dills, 1/2oz cream cheese. I had them with some romaine lettuce salad and a small greek yogurt. I am stuffed for less than 20 carbs and not too many calories. Just thought I would share.

TamTam
07-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi all,

Thought I would share this lunch today. (I know when I started I couldn't figure out what to eat) Made 2 turkey rolls with:2 shaved slices smoked turkey, 2 slices vlassic kosher stacker dills, 1/2oz cream cheese. I had them with some romaine lettuce salad and a small greek yogurt. I am stuffed for less than 20 carbs and not too many calories. Just thought I would share.

Rie it sounds delicious.

Riemontana
07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Good Morning all!

fbs at 84 this morning. No workout because I don't feel too well and I have a very busy day ahead of me.

I am getting the last of my trip preparation done. I am leaving in the morning for the Black Hills of South Dakota. I will be vacationing for a week with my ds, dil, and gs from North Dakota. My ds from here was going to go but a last minute job change meant that he can't go. So, I am taking the 4yrold gs with me. My usual traveling style is to toss a bag in the car and go but I haven't traveled with a little kid in a while. It is important that the little boys have a trip together.

Rapid City is a great destination for traveling with little guys. There are so many kid friendly activities within a few miles. And, our hotel has an indoor pool, hot tub and kiddie pool. I am so looking forward to a week of family time.

Well, off to get the laundry and packing done! Later

Rie

TamTam
07-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Down 1.8 pounds this morning!!! FBS up to 133 I think I am having too many carbs with supper, will try cutting back and see how that goes.

Ruthxxx
07-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Weight up a bit this morning but I am going to assume it's water weight from the heat. I have been trying to be careful about what I eat but have had to eat out a lot - no sugar though! FBGL is holding steady.

TamTam
07-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Weight up a bit this morning but I am going to assume it's water weight from the heat. I have been trying to be careful about what I eat but have had to eat out a lot - no sugar though! FBGL is holding steady.

It's hot here too, we have not been able to go walking for 3 days because it has been raining when we get up to go. Awesome with the FBS!

knorris
07-24-2011, 11:20 PM
What are you all doing for diet and diabetes? i have been doing low carb for 4 years since diagnosis. I sure would love to be able to add some things. Whine lol. Sorry just trying to get an idea.
karen

Riemontana
07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone. I am in Rapid City South Dakots on the beginning of my trip. Enjoying things so far. I did pretty well traveling today except I succumbed to gs begging to eat mc donalds. I got my first fast food cheeseburger today in almost 10 months. It was ghastly! LOL joke on me! fbs was really good despite the fact that I ate most of the drive here. Jerky and peanuts! I had greek yogurt and cucumbers for supper as we stayed at the motel and had a swim this evening. Night all

Rie

Ruthxxx
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Happy Monday! I'm afraid last week was not so good for me with heat, stress and way too many events. Looking back, there were three meals of sausage, onion and peppers in a bun and another of pulled pork. Still no sweets though. :cheer: I stuck to my plan yesterday, served at the BBQ at the Fair and then came home to my planned meal.

I have no appointments or meetings this week and am planning to be good to myself. I have lots to do around the house and garden and will be able to get back on a regular schedule. I have a 4-bean salad ready and waiting for lunches and will focus on veggies this week.

Here we go with a week of mindful eating. (I'm letting my ticker lie for a few days - right now I'm on the cusp of 180 again!)

TamTam
07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
What are you all doing for diet and diabetes? i have been doing low carb for 4 years since diagnosis. I sure would love to be able to add some things. Whine lol. Sorry just trying to get an idea.
karen

I just got diagnosed with type 2, went to the classes, so now following the diet, so that is what I am doing at the moment. I will do the diet with the Intuitive Eating program together. I will eat only when I am hungry and stop when no longer hungry, but I do try and measure my portions to what I think it will take to satisfy me, still getting the hang of that along with the diet. Good luck.

Floriduh
07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Back to report all good news! Had my first follow up appt. today since beginning diabetic treatment. Dr. was ecstatic that I've lost 9lbs in six weeks, my daily blood sugars are excellent, no ankle swelling, and I'm seriously swimming 1-2 times/day. In fact, I get to ease back on my Amaryl, because I'm getting slightly hypoglycemic after my morning workout. As luck would have it, my doctor is also a diabetic on the long road to weight loss. He is challenging me with the stuff to back it up, as he has dropped 34 lbs since January.

His only concern is that I am watching the scale too often (daily). He offered to let me weigh in weekly at the office if I would throw away my brand new scale and the obsession that has developed. I'm not ready to toss out the new scale. However, I will make a serious effort to stay away from it most days.

Had my first challenge with house guests since diagnosis and dietary changes over the weekend. Oh boy, it was a challenge cooking for everyone else, then eating my separate preparation. My favorite menu item was lasagna. Made a huge pan for everyone, and my own bowl of lasagna sans pasta. It was great!

Another appt. in six weeks. Will have my first HbA1C and lipid panel at that time since starting the new lifestyle. Looking forward to more progress! No pasta, potatoes, rice or bread since June 1, 2011.

Best wishes to all for a good evening and perfect blood sugar levels.

Riemontana
07-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Hello all!

fbs holding well on my vacation. Little splurges here and there - I enjoyed a small portion of ice cream yesterday. I don't plan on losting weight but trying to maintain bs control.

I am having a great time. Lots of walking and daily pool excursions are keeping me in balance. Later!

Wannabehealthy
07-26-2011, 11:56 AM
His only concern is that I am watching the scale too often (daily). He offered to let me weigh in weekly at the office if I would throw away my brand new scale and the obsession that has developed. I'm not ready to toss out the new scale. However, I will make a serious effort to stay away from it most days.

Best wishes to all for a good evening and perfect blood sugar levels.

I weigh daily, and I don't consider it an obsession. It is not the weighing daily that causes the problem, it's your reaction to the results. I don't get upset if I see a gain. But if I am on a steady upward trend, I want to know before it gets out of hand. Then I look at my food log and see what might be causing that upward trend. I use this as a maintenance tool and so far, it is working for me.

You seem to be doing well with your weight and your blood sugar control. Congratulations!

Carol

Ruthxxx
07-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Like carol and many others, I weigh every day too and have been doing it for years. It keeps me mindful of what I eat as I can see how it affects me daily.

Had a dreadful reading of 10.4 yesterday morning, a first for me. I realized I'd had two drinks with tonic water that does have sugar and also had been nibbling banana chips all evening after a pasta supper. Things were OK by eight though and I was very careful all day. 3.8 this morning so it all evens out.

Another busy day today. I am having friends to stay for a week and need to get my house organized for company. Hump Day is a big hump today but I can do it!

Riemontana
07-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Hello! Happy hump day form South Dakota.

The weather has been lovely here. Sunny but cool. I am having a really good time with my grandsons. I have managed to hold it together with eating and all my bs readings have been under 99. Take care All!
Rie

TamTam
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Met today with the dietician and nurse and they liked my numbers and food diary, they made a few suggestions so all in all a good visit. Rie I can't wait for sunny and cool, now it's wet and humid with the daily rain we have been getting, but I will take that over a hurricane!!

Butterfly50
07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Hello all I am new to this board not to 3fc . I was diagnoised with diabetes this week . They put me on 500 mg of Metformin once daily. They are also setting me up for a dietician to help me out. But since then I have been searching for information so when I go grocery shopping in the next few days I can buy the right foods. Everything is still mind boggling. I am willing to hear anyone suggestions. I was told to say away from white carb. But I am having a issue with fruits cant seem to find anything. I am jest freaked out right now so much information that my mind is boggles and some of it I dont even understand.

gothik butterfly
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey all!

Back from the crazy weekend that was my bestie's wedding. It was a wonderful day, my dress fit and everyone said I looked beautiful. I probably got as many compliments as the bride ;)

Pretty much ate crap for the weekend and forgot to check my sugars and take my metformin. The groom scolded me and so at 1 AM sunday morning I was crawling out of my dress and poking my finger. lol 115. not so bad considering what I ate for the wedding dinner.

I'm on the extended release Metformin now, have another education class next week and my first appt. with endocrinology the week after. Back to being good girl!

Annie415sf
07-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Hey All~

New to this forum. I'm 25 and have had Type II Diabetes since I was 20. On and off Metformin. Gained quite a bit of weight, up to 185lbs, and am seeing a new doctor at Kaiser.

Just got my full work-up back and my a1c - 6.8! But my fasting glucose is 144mg/DL. That's super high for fasting isn't it?

Looking forward to going back on Metformin and losing some weight. Just want to keep posting to keep me motivated. I also started logging food online and find it helps a lot with overeating.

What are your numbers like?

Wannabehealthy
07-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Hey All~

New to this forum. I'm 25 and have had Type II Diabetes since I was 20. On and off Metformin. Gained quite a bit of weight, up to 185lbs, and am seeing a new doctor at Kaiser.

Just got my full work-up back and my a1c - 6.8! But my fasting glucose is 144mg/DL. That's super high for fasting isn't it?

Looking forward to going back on Metformin and losing some weight. Just want to keep posting to keep me motivated. I also started logging food online and find it helps a lot with overeating.

What are your numbers like?

Like you, I have a good A1c and a high fbs. It's been explained to me, but I still don't understand why, so I will be no help to you. Sometimes my fbs actually is in the 120's but never as low as it should be. Maybe someone else will explain it in a way that we both will understand.

Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Hello all I am new to this board not to 3fc . I was diagnoised with diabetes this week . They put me on 500 mg of Metformin once daily. They are also setting me up for a dietician to help me out. But since then I have been searching for information so when I go grocery shopping in the next few days I can buy the right foods. Everything is still mind boggling. I am willing to hear anyone suggestions. I was told to say away from white carb. But I am having a issue with fruits cant seem to find anything. I am jest freaked out right now so much information that my mind is boggles and some of it I dont even understand.

I know how you feel. Getting a diagnosis of diabetes is scary, and I don't feel that you really get the proper information when you're diagnosed. I never had the opportunity to go to a class, and I think that's what is really helpful. The dietician just confused me more. I am not much of a fruit eater, and it just raises my bs anyway so I stay away from it.

Carol

Butterfly50
07-29-2011, 11:59 AM
It is a scary thing and no they didn't give me much info they jest said I will be getting signed up for this class. She told me I should recieve a meter and they should show me how to use it. Alot of good it is doing me now. They only hold these classes once a month.:dizzy: Right now it is jest the waiting game. I have been looking into different low carb programs. I have read about Atkins,Zone,South Beach dont sound too bad but I have high triglercides and I can't have alot of fat so gonna have to watch that. I am jest confused the doc wants me to come in once a week for a blood test to see how things are going until I get the meter and can start recording my stuff. My head is still spining with all this...

pattygirl63
07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
A quick flyby to say hi.:wave: I see some Newbies here. :welcome3:

Kids are here and trying to get everything moved in that needs to be moved in and decide what needs to be put in storage of ours. They got in late Wednesday night and my FBS was 112 yesterday and 114 today. Just suddenly went normal. Weight is coming down as well as eating has been slim. Not sure if that is because it is sooo hot and or things have suddenly gotten busy.

Hope everything is going well for everyone. Have a great day and weekend.

Riemontana
07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Hello All and Welcome to the newbies!

I know that the diagnosis and the initial months are scary and confusing. I was only diagnosed last fall. If it matters, I feel pretty confident now. It just takes a little time.

I am on vacation now but I intend to be back on this forum steady in another day or two. I am looking forward to getting to know you. Hang in there!

Rie

TamTam
07-29-2011, 06:51 PM
It is a scary thing and no they didn't give me much info they jest said I will be getting signed up for this class. She told me I should recieve a meter and they should show me how to use it. Alot of good it is doing me now. They only hold these classes once a month.:dizzy: Right now it is jest the waiting game. I have been looking into different low carb programs. I have read about Atkins,Zone,South Beach dont sound too bad but I have high triglercides and I can't have alot of fat so gonna have to watch that. I am jest confused the doc wants me to come in once a week for a blood test to see how things are going until I get the meter and can start recording my stuff. My head is still spining with all this...

Butterfly you sound just like me! I am on the same dose of Metformin as you 500mg once a day. I have high everything else they check for the good stuff is down the bad stuff is up. I got my meter before the class, but that was due to scheduling conflicts with their classes and my work, I am self employed but I still cannot take off just anytime. Take it slow it will make you crazy to try and memorize it all at one time. I LOVED the classes, I learned a lot. One thing that has helped me is to recored my eating, I don't like having to keep a food diary because it makes me focus too much on food, but I feel that for the moment I have no choice, so I do it. Take it one day and one meal at a time. Good luck and we are all here if you need us. God Bless.

Ruthxxx
07-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi there, new chicks. Yes, I know it is all very scary and confusing when you first get the dreaded diagnosis. Trust me, it does get much easier as time goes on. For me, keeping carbs low has worked in getting my HA1C down to a "controlled diabetic" level. That's in the 6 to 7 range. I've been on Metformin and gylburide for several years now and don't obsess over FBGL readings although I do take them every morning. I never test during the day or at bedtime since it's the HA1C test that tells the true story.

A good FBGL this morning at 4.8 which was after some potato salad with my chicken and salad for supper last night. I find the new potatoes don't spike me the next morning. This week I'll experiment with corn though.

Several challenges ahead in the next week when I have loads of company. I will be taking them out for dim-sum when we go to Ottawa and will have to be careful. I know the salt is a killer for water weight and it's hard to avoid it in Chinese foods. I will just avoid the scale for a while. My weight seems to be on another plateau just below 180. I hope it doesn't stay there as long as it stayed just above 200!

Be nice to your body today.

Wannabehealthy
07-30-2011, 08:18 AM

Butterfly, ask your doctor about Fish Oil for your triglycerides. I have battled them for several years. This year my doctor added fish oil to my regieme and my triglycerides went from 253 to 135. I take 1200 mg of fish oil twice a day, but do not do this without your doctor's ok.

Carol

TamTam
07-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Morning all. Today I weighed in and am down another 1.5 pounds, that makes 10 since June 9th. I hope to continue this losing streak. Have a blessed day.

Ruthxxx
07-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Good BGL again this morning of 4.2 but the scale seems stuck at just under 180. I doubt that it will budge this week as I have company for the week. Luckily one of them is a MOD from here so there will be mindful eating. We will also be doing a fair amount of walking as I show them the Village which will help.

Not to worry if I'm not online much.

Butterfly50
07-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks Everyone . So what does everyone do? Are you on a plan or do you jest watch your carbs ? Calories? I have been reading about the Atkins program but I don't know that thing looks pretty scary. I will be keeping a journal of what Iam eating its a nice way to keep it all in check and my doctor would like to see it when I come back in. I have been searching threw alot of info. I have come to like most of the info . My family is on the fence because I told them I have to do this and I will only cook one meal so they are gonna start eating healthy. To be honest I know they can do it they jest dont want to give up junk foods...

Riemontana
07-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Hello all!

I am happy to be back home and taking a day of rest to recover from my vacation with kids and grandkids. I had some great memories but I think I am too old/tired to travel with a 4yrold by myself.

Last night we had a large family gathering at a buffet. I ate pretty well. However, when I did my evening test (90) I realized that I had forgot to take my metformin.:( I didn't want to take it and then go to bed so I just skipped it. I was at 106 this morning. Ugh.

I did well on vacation with just a few enjoyed splurges and maintained bs control pretty well. There was lots of walking and activity so I hope that helped. I won't weigh in for two weeks now so I am still hoping for a good month. I plan to be really good for then next little time.

Butterfly. I eat about 20 carbs per meal, and I emphasize lean protein and non-starchy veggies, and portion control. I have long list of "free" veggies like green beans, leafy veggies, cucumbers, etc that I eat as much as I want in order to stay full. I keep a food and bs diary because it has allowed me to learn which carbs raise my bs and which ones don't. It is different for everyone. I also learned to eat a small snack (usually dannon light and fit yogurt) for an evening snack. This keeps my bs low in the morning. Welcome to our group. Keep asking for advise and good luck.

Hi Ruth, Cajun, and Fatmad!

Rie

Butterfly50
07-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks Riemontana Thats is kinda of what I was thinking of doing is a average of 20 Carbs a meal . I wanted to try to do it on my own what is your average calories a day or you dont count calories?? As LIke I said I have been reading about Atkins diet but their is alot that I dont like so I want to try anything . Where did you come up with a list of food for you to eat. Any help will be appreciated Thanks

Bonnie

Floriduh
07-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi Bonnie--

I'm two months into the new lifestyle. I keep a spreadsheet tracking all food intake, bs with times, meds taken w/times and exercise type and duration. Like Rie, this helps me to track what works best for diet/exercise and bs effects. I don't track liquid intake because I drink only water (lots) and black decaf coffee.

I check my bs after exercise because I can tell how effective my workout was based on the bs drop.

All of this was unbelievably overwhelming and time consuming for the first several weeks. Now it is part of my daily routine. I just leave the spreadsheet open on the computer and update frequently throughout the day. Incidentally, keeping track of breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks has also helped me to plan ahead for meals.

Late entry--I developed a list of my foods w/portions, calories, carbs and cholesterol. Time consuming at first to add each new item, it is now a very quick and handy reference for meal planning.

I get my protein these days mainly from poultry, seafood, plain yogurt and cottage cheese. I've had beef only once in two months, lamb twice. I'm a big fan of stirfry--only now I skip the rice. For salads, I use a mix that is 50% spinach, with homemade dressing. Lots of broccoli, artichokes, brussel sprouts and portioned avocados.

One last thing--I keep an eye on the clock. I have found that late dinners are not good for my bs at all. My bs does better with breakfast before 7:00AM. Metformin works best for me when I take it 30 minutes before meals. Initially, it's a lot of trial and error to learn your body's needs. Good luck!

Best wishes to all for a good evening and normal blood glucose.

--------------------------------------------
Bread/Potato/Pasta/Pizza free since June 1, 2011

Ruthxxx
08-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I just split off the August posts into a new thread.
Go to http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/240144-august-chat.html