Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180 / 168 / 120

Height: 5'3"

Question Advice for 4th. of July Weekend

My husband and I are going out f town with my family for the 4th. I was just wondering how other people are handling this weekend. My original thought was that I was going to do good all week then take this weekend off. Still be careful about what I eat and how much, just not keep count. Now I'm not so sure that is the best way to handle it. My family is supportve so I don't think they would mind if took foods that I can eat and stay on plan. I just know that they will have good food and probably margaritas that I wil want.
MaryB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #2  
Skinny chick

I'm worried about the same thing.
I had planned to use exercise to maintain over the long weekend, but now this morning I was surprised by TOM, which means I will not be able to go very far from a bathroom for the next 2-3 days.
No long walks or bike rides for me.
Plus all the holiday, get-together food.

It's going to be tough, but we can do it!
NOTHING tastes so good that it's worth undoing what we've done so far.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #3  
I think I can...

I totally blew it Memorial weekend, so I am being a conscious eater this weekend. I am bringing fruit salad, cauliflower "potato" salad (very delicious!) and turkey burgers to the cookout that I am going to.
I probably will have a couple of drinks, but will make sure to drink a ton of water. I am planning to stay away from higher fat choices & hopefully won't gain any weight.
Good luck to you & have FUN!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

See, even on high days, I count everything. It helps me realize what foods account for what. I've really only had one high day in 6 months and that was on memorial day weekend, but even that splurge was at maintenance level, so I didn't get too worried about it.

I think having a plan in place is always good. I always have snacks around. I always bring foods that I can eat and so on. It's especially important to me since I have blood sugar issues.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCchickie View Post
I'm worried about the same thing.
I had planned to use exercise to maintain over the long weekend, but now this morning I was surprised by TOM, which means I will not be able to go very far from a bathroom for the next 2-3 days.
No long walks or bike rides for me.
Plus all the holiday, get-together food.

It's going to be tough, but we can do it!
NOTHING tastes so good that it's worth undoing what we've done so far.
I'm sorry! That is going to make it tough. But you are right! Nothing tastes that good!
Have fun this weekend and good luck!

Last edited by MaryB75; 07-01-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzKiki View Post
I totally blew it Memorial weekend, so I am being a conscious eater this weekend. I am bringing fruit salad, cauliflower "potato" salad (very delicious!) and turkey burgers to the cookout that I am going to.
I probably will have a couple of drinks, but will make sure to drink a ton of water. I am planning to stay away from higher fat choices & hopefully won't gain any weight.
Good luck to you & have FUN!
All of that sounds good. :-) Do you have a recipe for the cauliflower "potato" salad? I talked to my sister-in-law yesterday afternoon. She said we will go shopping when I get there and buy lots of veggies for the grill and lean meats. That way I can fill up on healthy foods and tase other things if I want to. She also mentioned low calorie margaritas.
Have a good Holiday weekend!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I keep track of what I eat, even if it's more than usual. The only time I didn't was when I just didn't have access to a computer (and I don't have an internet capable phone.) and one day where I just completely flaked.

I think having a plan and bringing your own food are good ideas. It doesn't mean you can't have that margarita, but pick and choose what you want your splurge to be.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
See, even on high days, I count everything. It helps me realize what foods account for what. I've really only had one high day in 6 months and that was on memorial day weekend, but even that splurge was at maintenance level, so I didn't get too worried about it.

I think having a plan in place is always good. I always have snacks around. I always bring foods that I can eat and so on. It's especially important to me since I have blood sugar issues.
I'm thinking I am going to try to at least count what I eat. Even if it is only estimating for some of the homemade foods. Have fun this weekend
Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

This is definitely a concern for me as well. I'm planning to just do the best I can without throwing in the towel and saying, "Oh, what the heck!' I've worked SO hard to get to this point and I know that letting myself have a free for all will just sabotage all of my efforts.

I'm also going to drink lots of water and keep as active as possible. I'll try to also fill up on veggies and protein. For deserts, I may allow myself a few bites here and there since really, the truth is that I only enjoy the first 2 or 3 bites anyways and beyond that, guilt plays too large of a role.

I wish everyone luck this weekend!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197.6/185.2/150

Height: 5'3

I'm going to try and work out everyday, drink plenty of water, and just eat in moderation. Instead of a whole burger....I'll eat half. If I gain anything, oh well...it will come off again. I put on about a pound of water weight over Memorial Day weekend and by Wednesday, I shed 1.8 lbs.
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #11  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

MaryB, have you tried Zilch margarita mix? It's no calorie powder that you add to tequila & water. I like it! I have to order it online, but I think it's sold in stores in Texas - I think that's where it's made. Good luck to you this weekend!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Even if your plan is to indulge a little, I always recommend having a plan. Any sort of plan is better than calling it a weekend off. A weekend off can so easily turn into some sort of free-for-all, whereas at least a plan will give you an idea about what is OK, and keep you away from the big things you'd regret.

Just using an example : It might be okay to eat some grilled food, but no buns for anything. Or you can indulge more in the fruit salad, but you're sticking to ONE serving of your cousin's famous potato salad, and no more than that.

I'd even go so far as to writing down what is okay and what is not okay on a small sheet of paper. Keep it in your pocket as a reminder.

That way you get to indulge in the holiday, but will be reminded of the things that you want to avoid.

Also, water water water to keep yourself satisfied when you're not really hungry!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #13  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Even if your plan is to indulge a little, I always recommend having a plan. Any sort of plan is better than calling it a weekend off.
I couldn't agree more! Honestly, I don't even want to eat all the holiday crap that I know will be available. I know my body deserves better! My plan consists of thinking through what will be available that I actually want to put into my body and thinking through how I'll deal with the "is that all you're eating?!" comments. I also know myself well enough to know that if it's not something I want to eat a whole serving of, I absolutely cannot take a bite of it- I won't be able to stop!

Despite my better judgement, I am always tempted by baked goods when they are right in front of me. Sitting here right now, I have no interest, but when it's in front of me, all bets are off. To help myself, I think about it ahead of time, visualize cake sitting there, visualize walking away, feeling good about what I'm doing for my body. Sounds strange, but it helps!

Hope everyone has a fun holiday! There is so much more to enjoy on the 4th that is completely unrelated to food!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm basically going to eat what I have eaten for the last 3 years for the 4th. I will not make potato salad or baked beans this year. If a guest brings them, that's fine, but they will be taking home their left overs (and I usually don't like how other people make those dishes...so I'm good there).

We are grilling pork loin, Strip steaks and chicken breast...all being lower fat. I have a bunch of melons and berries that I'm going to make a big fruit salad with and I have lots of garden veggies for grilled vegetables and a huge fresh salad. I will have a piece of corn on the cob, but really love it with a squirt of lime juice and sprinkle of salt and chili powder so that won;t be too many calories. I don't drink (anymore) so I don't have to worry about those calories, but I am kindof nervous about desserts. I know there will be homemade ice cream and smores...That will be hard. I'd like to walk away, but I guess it depends on what the scale reads that morning...lol

The 3rd of July is my 2 year maintaince anniversary, so that will keep me a little motivated to be good!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #15  
Skinny chick

So how did everyone do over the holiday?
I ate things I wouldn't eat at home. The things that were high-fat and high in calories, I tried to keep my portions small. And I ate a LOT of watermelon. Tasty, filling, low in calories, and satisfying.

And I met my goal, which was to weigh the same this morning as the morning we left. Woo-hoo! Maintained!!

Now back to losing. I bet my 30 Day Shred is going to be especially hard today after 3 days off!
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote