Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 03:44 PM   #1  

Default Back on line

Hi Chix,

I got home from the hospital on Thursday but haven't ventured near the computer until today.

I had lap rny and have been very sore and tired but doing okay. No dumping. On soft liquids. one drain that I get out on thursday.

still very sore and I get hungry if I don't have food for a few hours but it's getting better.

Hope the day comes when I'll be really thrilled I did this (I am questioning it every often).
Old 01-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Default GLAD TO SEE YOU!!!

and sorry you're feeling under the weather, but you've just gone through major surgery. you'll be fine.

and yes, for awhile each and every one of us wonders WHAT did we get ourselves into and is it too late to change?>?

but i promise you, it'll be ok. it does indeed get better., and this is from someone who threw up for an entire month. some days, the only thing that stayed down was tomato soup with american cheese melted into it.

we're here to help!!! honest!!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 07:07 PM   #3  
Slowly going crazy!

Quote:
Hope the day comes when I'll be really thrilled I did this (I am questioning it every often).
OH you will. There was a time (about 2 weeks ago) I cried in my bed in pain wondering What the heck did I do to myself.

Now I look at the scale and in 3 weeks since surgery nearly 20 pounds, and in the time since I was scheduled for surgery it's been nearly 30 pounds GONE>>>> poof! ! !

(((HUGS)))
I'm so glad you are on the losing side of things! ! ! You will feel better soon. Let your body heal. It takes a while, even if you had lap, you need to have time to let your insides heal. Your emotions will get better the moment you try on your favorite comfort pants and they are falling off your waist. In your case it will be within the month! ! ! I guarantee it.

Just follow EVERY instruction the doctor gives you. Listen to the needs of your body and don't try to live off a 'schedule' of someone else's... (ie...MaryLou lost 40 pounds in a month, I should be there too... Bobbyjo didn't have any pain a week after surgery, how come I do?. etc.)
Your life and your body is completely different. You will succeed with this.
I'm so proud of you! ! ! ! It's a courageous thing to do when you realize that conventional diets don't work, and you are willing to make the steps for a better life, and a new YOU! ! !
Take pride in getting through the toughest part (the surgery and the 'wanting and waiting' to have surgery).
Old 01-12-2003, 07:13 PM   #4  

Hello new chick!

Congrats and I'm very jealous! I'm still waiting on my initial consultation! When you feel like it, can you answer some questions for me?

How long were you in the hospital?
What kind of pain medication did you get for home?
How can you take medication after surgery?

Get well soon!
Patty
Old 01-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

patty.. docs vary.. if there are no complications, some docs keep patients 4 days, others only 2. some patients wake up with drains [like chickie here], and others don't [i didn't].

as for pain medication, we're usually discharged with some form of codeine, in tiny pills. when we're in the hospital, most docs put in a morphine pump [a little bit of heaven!!!], although some don't. youll have to ask your surgeon when you see him what he does.

as for taking meds after surgery.. some water and you swallow... jsut like before surgery. but you DO have to be careful that no one gives you any pills larger than plain M&Ms [a real miserable challenge when i got that sinus infection that wouldn't die!]

and we can't take things like vioxx or advil or motrin or aspirin for about 3 months so that the lining of our tiny tummies doesn't get irritated.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:52 PM   #6  

Hi Patty,

I was in the hospital 4 days Mon-Thurs. I could have gone home Wednesday if I wanted to or stayed til Friday. It was more or less my call. I think it's some kind of law in California that you can't be forcing people out of the hospital so they give you a time frame.

I'm on liquid vicodan which is good but I'm trying to wean myself from it (haven't had any today).

I am not back on meds yet but my dr said I can if I want to crush or find a liquid version. For capsules I can mix them in apple sauce. For now, I'm going to wait so I don't upset the system

Feeling stronger every day,
Essie
Old 01-14-2003, 06:55 PM   #7  

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I am feeling a bit better today than I have been but I tend to knock myself out when I get bursts of energy...run around like a maniac.

I am hungry but think I'm more bored with soft liquids than anything else.

Any suggestions welcome!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:02 PM   #8  

Hi new chick!

I don't have any suggestions for you. I just wanted to say that I am glad you are back and feeling a bit stronger!

peach
Old 01-14-2003, 08:05 PM   #9  

Hey Essie,

Is that your real name? It's very cute! I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. Also, I'm glad that they didn't kick you out of the hospital.

May I ask...
did you have lap surgery?
right now at this moment, would you recommend it?
how much pain are you in?

I really want to do this surgery. For the first time in my life, I feel like a normal sized me is a possibility. You know all the other times, I have always allowed myself to dream of 200 or so. Now I think it might be possible for me to go under that mark!

I hope all goes well with you.

God Bless!

Patty
Old 01-15-2003, 11:14 AM   #10  

Patty, yes I had lap rny. I would definitely recommend it.

I woke up from surgery in pain but they pumped me full of morphine and kept the pump on until my 4th day in the hospital. Right now I'm on liquid vicodan which is standard. I don't take the maximum dosage allowed so my pain is doing okay. I have trouble at night after laying down for too long. During the day I'm fine.

When I was considering this, I asked question after question to get right with my decision. Keep asking!

Take care,
Essie
Old 01-15-2003, 10:34 PM   #11  

Essie,

Thanks for the info! I am allergic to pain... it hurts me! Do you mind a few more questions?

Do you work?
When do you expect to go back to work?
How much do you weigh? (I am wondering if I'll be too big for lap rny)
How much have you lost?
How long did it take you to decide before you knew it was right?

Thanks and take care!
Patty
Old 01-15-2003, 11:15 PM   #12  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

Thumbs down info

I didn't think I would make it for lap surgery either - but my surgeon says I should be fine . . .

I am 307 lbs at the moment. She (my doc) says my weight is 'evenly distributed'. Translation - the sisters are large - so I don't carry all of my weight in the mid-section.

I am having surgery on 2/19 and plan to be back to work within 4 weeks. I am going to work from home if I feel up to it - because I will go insane after overdosing on TLC wedding stories, baby stories, and all the other 'stories'. I am addicted to those shows. Once I turn them on - it's an all day event!

Don't fret!
Old 01-15-2003, 11:53 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

pattyl.. you are certainly NOT too big for the lap. my surgeons had a 500 pound weightlimit, and that was because of the limitations of the surgery table.

i weighed 409 at surgery. and i know a woman who had the lap weighing 491. and i think ole alvin weighed 577 and had the lap.
Closed Thread