General Diet Plans and Questions - Egg Whites question

View Full Version : Egg Whites question

canadianwoman
07-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Would 3 egg whites equal 1 jumbo egg?

I want to make a omelette for breakfast in the morning using 1 jumbo egg and egg whites so it will equal 2 jumbo eggs.

indiblue
07-01-2011, 06:44 AM
What do you mean "equal"? In terms of calories, nutrients, or bulk?

If you are looking at calories, one large egg is approximately 90 calories and one egg white is approximately 15 calories.

In terms of nutrients, it would depend on which nutrients you are trying to achieve with the 3 egg whites. Remember that when you use egg whites to reduce the calories, you are also getting fewer nutrients. (not necessarily a bad thing, just something to remember)

If you are talking strictly about the size of the food it produces (an omelet) then I've found about 2 egg whites is the same as 1 large egg.

Lovely
07-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Would 3 egg whites equal 1 jumbo egg?

I want to make a omelette for breakfast in the morning using 1 jimbo egg and egg whites so it will equal 2 jumbo eggs.

I'm not sure how big a "jumbo" egg is, but I imagine 2 or 3 egg whites would be the equivalent volume-wise.

Alitig1
07-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I substitute 3 egg ****e for 1 egg.

QuilterInVA
07-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Why jumbo eggs? All nutritional data is based on large? Egg whites will never equal a whole egg. It's like asking how many oranges equal a peach. If you want to just count calories, that's another things. I look at nutrition more than calories.

canadianwoman
07-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Why jumbo eggs?

Because all I have in the house at the moment is jumbo eggs. 1 and a half dozen of them.

Thanks for the responses. I used 2 egg whites along with 1 whole egg. It made a good sized omelette.

I am trying to lessen the amount of fat in the foods I eat yet keep my carbs low at the same time. I am not eliminating *all* the fat. I just do not want to eat so much of it. It is just a little experiment on myself to see if I drop more pounds plus I want to use up these jumbo eggs and get large eggs with my next grocery shopping.

canadianwoman
07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure how big a "jumbo" egg is, but I imagine 2 or 3 egg whites would be the equivalent volume-wise.

Two worked fine. Thank you. :)