Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #1  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 238/182/129

Height: 5ft 0in

Default New veggie with meat eating family!

Hello,

Im a new veggie and also trying to diet. I've found that atm im eating crap because 1. I have no ideas about what to cook for myself on a veggie diet and 2. Sometimes I just cant be arsed to cook two meals, one for the family and one for me.

Would love some ideas and support

Thank you

p.s I'm also new here!
katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #2  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

Hi Katty, welcome to the veggie world!
I live with my omni boyfriend, and although most nights we cook separately there are a couple of things I can suggest.

1. Dont make two separate meals, make one vegetarian one for everyone. It seriously wont kill anyone to go meal without meat (and I know the type that think it will, my family is full of them) but make something full of protein so its satisfying enough for the complainers - black bean and vegetable chili, wholemeal pasta with a ton of oven roasted vegetables, etc.

2. Make one meal that can have meat added later. For example, I love stir-fries so I cook the base up (loads of veggies, noodles, sauce) in one pan, then in another pan my boyfriend cooks his meat and just adds it to his bowl when we portion it out. I will either leave it with just veggies, or fry up some tofu, tempeh or mock meat to go with my portion.
Dont just take the meat out of meals though - I used to do that and my meal would end up being 100% carbs and I got fat real fast, so I had to learn to make the meal complete whether it had meat or not.

3. "Serve Yourself" nights leave an option for everyone. Taco night, burger night, pizza night. Just set all the ingredients out and choose what your have on your own. You can make some really healthy vego choices with all of those, and nobody can complain theyre being deprived.

4. For nights when you really cant be arsed, have a freezer stockpile. I usually keep a couple of homemade vegie burgers, a couple of portions of vegan lasagne and a curry or a soup ready to go for when I dont have time to cook.

I definitely recommend investing in some cookbooks. Even though I'm just a vegetarian, I like to cook from vegan cookbooks as I find a lot of vegetarian cookbooks rely heavily on dairy and I just dont need the calories. I recommend something like Veganomicon to get your started, and Appetite for Reduction if you are calorie counting (by the same author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, I just love her stuff).

Hope I've been at least a little helpful!
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would agree with exploring with some meatless meals. I ate quite a few meatless meals when I still was a meat eater.

I'd also recommend going to the library and looking for some vegetarian/vegan cookbooks to help give you some ideas on what to eat.

There are some options if you want to have similar meals.

1) Taco or taco bowl night - chop up various veggies, have corn tortillas, make beans, rice and have optional meat for those that want

2) Burger night - You can make your own veggie burgers or buy some. Make vegetarian sides and meat burgers for others.

3) Pasta with veggies - Pasta is something that naturally doesn't have meat in it. I have actually never had 'meat sauce' even when I was a dedicated meat eater.

4) Ethnic cuisine - Chana masala/Ethiopian lentils/curried lentils with basmati rice and veggies on the side. Another dish that is just naturally vegetarian.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #4  

Thanks both of you, it has been very helpful.

I have found ive put on a stone in weight since being veggie as most the time i cook a meal and just leave the meat out for me.

I made spag bowl the other night with quorn, hubby pointed out as soon as he sat down it had no meat in..... He doesnt feel like he has eaten unless something has died (his words not mine).

I think im going to do a meat free night once a week and then a couple of help yourself nights.

Thanks for the cookbook tips. Will hunt them out over the weekend
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #5  

wow just ebayed the books you have recommended, someone is looking for £200 for Appetite for Reduction, that must be a typo?? ermm... i think i'll head for the library! lol
Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/?/115

Height: 5'5

Hey Katty! I've just joined, but having been the only veggie in my house since I was ten - I know it can be a challenge finding meals everyone agrees on. Luckily, after researching a lot of veggie dishes and options, you can normally find something everyone will agree on. Like everyone above said, it can be easier to make dishes that can easily go either way. Homemade pizzas, pastas, salads, and quiches can easily be changed for both meat eaters and vegetarians. It might take a while to find some meat substitutes that go down well with you - but once you get over that learning curb, it really does become easier. Best of luck!
Ardea is offline   Reply With Quote