Weight Loss News and Current Events - Diet sodas don't help with dieting

Jelma
06-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I actually never drank diet pop until a couple of months ago when I found coke zero and fell in love ;) The fact that aspartame actually elevated blood sugar in mice was very interesting.

What do you guys think?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43565093/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

ButterCup85
06-29-2011, 08:53 AM
http://getfitslowly.com/2008/02/12/the-dangers-of-diet-soda/

I've seen a few here who drink diet. I try not to push my opinion where it isn't wanted but you asked. Yu know how things say fat free or low fat, don't always go by that look at the back and really read between the lines. Just because it says DIET soda doesn't mean it's healthier. I think they are both extremely bad for anyone.

I was a coke addict and before that a Mountain Dew addict. In 09 I was working 12-16 hours a day. Hard work too. I seriously was drinking 8-12 mountain dews a shift. I still lost some weight, only because I never sat down but I could had been so much healthier that year. This year it's been 3 or 4 cherry cokes a day- not diet. I stopped, I just quit one week. The weight started falling off and I started this journey. About 3 weeks into it I decided I was going to treat myself to a coke, it was DISGUSTING. So sweet and just ugh. Felt like straight syrup mixed with tons of sugar sliding down my throat.

My point is, I think they're both horrible. And if I can quit drinking soda- anyone can! almost 3 months free of that horrid addiction. I did keep drinking tea so I wouldn't get horrible caffeine headaches. And I still have 1 or 2 glasses of sweet tea a day and the rest water, occasional milk. It's nice not having the crash from sugars and caffeine in the cokes.

I'd say if you can or even want to stay away from it all.

And just for fun, here is the ingredients in coke zero that you're drinking.
http://naturalbias.com/are-you-being-fooled-by-zero-calorie-sodas/ :(

If you're going to continue drinking coke, I'd stick to no diet stuff.

Jelma
06-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't drink very many coke zeros, maybe 2 a week. I think I will switch back to regular if I feel the desire to have one. I actually avoided aspartame for years and years, it has only been in the past couple months that I have been allowing it in my diet, sparingly. Water and unsweet iced tea are my usual everyday drinks of choice.

I had a horrible addiction to Mountain Dew in my early 20s. The first time I went to the dentist after probably 5 years of not going she asked me if I drank Mountain Dew because of the condition of my teeth!

caryesings
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm a bit of an oddball that I never drank soda ("pop" where I'm from) until I started watching my weight as a teenager. Then I'd go for the diet stuff when I wanted something sweet, and frankly Tab (this was the 70s) was pretty awful so wasn't tempted to have a second one.

These days I pretty much continue to use diet pop the same way, not something I drink regularly but do have it when I just must have something sweet. My beau cringes that I ONLY choose the ones with Aspartame though, which he considers poisin.

IsabellaOlivia
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Diet sodas were developed for people with diabetes, they were not intended for weight loss. Diet sodas are filled with crap, artifical sweeterners, preservatives and what have you. They bring nothing of nutrional value.

Lovely
06-29-2011, 02:27 PM
To each their own!

I have soda -maybe- four times a year...-maybe-. Regular soda is too sweet for me, and I don't like drinking calories. The rest of the time it's good ol' fashioned water for me!

So, every once in a grand while I drink Polar Diet Orange Dry, or Polar Diet Birch Beer. When I'm laying on my death bed, diet soda is not going to be something I regret.

kaplods
06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I've dieted with artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and diet sodas - and I've dieted without them (sometimes giving up one, sometimes giving up all three), and I've found no difference with my weight loss. In my experience my calorie level, my activity level, (and to a lesser degree, my carb level) has more to do with my degree of weight loss than whether or not I use caffeine or artificial sweeteners (or specifically diet sodas).

joyfulloser
06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
As a former diet cherry pepsi JUNKIE topping 2 liters per day, I could say a thing a two about this subject.;) I have lost weight in the past while addicted to diet soda and drinking it to excess, but never as fast and as steady as I've done most recently, when I've finally beaten the addiction. Now...I have 1-2 cans every couple of months. My skin is much clearer, my digestive system more regular and my cravings are almost non-existent and, uhhhh...I've lost 60 lbs without stall or difficulty within the past 9 months!:D

YES...to me..IMHO, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE.

Point here...just about anything's ok in moderation. Too much of a good thing....is BAD!:D

kurisitaru
06-29-2011, 04:16 PM
I avoid artificial sweetners for the most part, there are things in it that I've noticed slowed down my own personal weight loss. However, when I go out with friends for drinks, I do get gin and Diet coke a lot. I've noticed it helps with the calories and it's been helping with the weight loss so far. I love my friends, I love getting drinks with them. (Now I nurse one drink that's wine or a diet soda and rum/whiskey/gin/etc).
Also, when we go out for ice cream, I'll get just a diet soda. It's something sweet and enjoy, something that doesn't make me feel depraved, AND no calories. I just try not to have them THAT often.

JoJoJo2
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I lost weight, and now I am maintaining that weight loss.

I like diet sodas, and drink one whenever I want one. They did not hinder my weight-loss, or my maintenance.

I think the key is moderation.

However, if you think that diet drinks are the devil's brew - then by all means avoid them. That just means there are more diet drinks for me! :)

tdiprincess
07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
We don't really keep pop in the house. Partially because it's healthy this way, but also because it is so much cheaper to keep it out of the house!
I still buy lightly sweetened iced tea for hubby since he doesn't like to drink water straight. For myself it is: water, tomato juice, coffee or milk these days. Once in a while some wine.

The idea of pop in general to me is horrible! It is horrible for our bodies and very expensive when compared to other options. When pop was first made it was meant to be used as a treat. Not something that people drink tons and tons of each day.

shishkeberry
07-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I've only recently started drinking diet soda. I don't do it often because I just don't like artificial sweeteners. I hate the after taste. I've still been losing weight. I think beating my turkey hill tea addiction was what has really helped me.

AnnieDrews
07-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I've heard all the talk about how bad diet soda is, but I love it so much I still drink it. Usually 2 or 3 cans per day. I saw an article recently on Mayo Clinic's website. The link I have now has a different story there, but here are the quotes that stood to me in the original article:

"The sweet taste could also trigger your body to produce insulin, which blocks your ability to burn fat."

and

"Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you," writes Katherine Zeratsky, a nutritionist at the Mayo Clinic. "The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer."

I love my caffeine free Diet Pepsi, but am considering trying to cut back to one per day to see if it makes any difference. I'm having trouble getting to goal and I'm wondering if this is part of the problem.

SaraWrites03
07-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I was a diet coke addict- but not because I like pop, I "needed" the caffeine and don't like coffee. I tried substituting with diet green tea- but it's just too sweet. I tried regular brewed green tea and don't like the taste much.

THEN.... Then I found this water... just plain water... with caffeine in it. I can't remember what it's called but it comes in almost a pyramid shaped bottle. It's AMAZING... I get my caffeine fix and am still drinking plain water :)

I had the same issue then, as Buttercup85 where I tried drinking diet coke again one day... and... I couldn't even finish the can, it was AWFUL!!!

My opinion... as an occasional treat go ahead and indulge.. but if you have a daily habit, there's no way it's healthy and it's best just to try and find a healthy substitute. Pop is ADDICTIVE and not good for you in any form... try something else to replace it.

Whew... that was long-winded! Haha

misski
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I was never into diet sodas actually. Maybe if I try now I may like it, but when I was young, it tasted bad and I just never bought diet anything. Now I don't drink any sodas. And yes, it's surprising to read that aspartame increases blood sugar. I DEFINITELY won't consume anything with aspartame now!

theCandEs
07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I've recently gotten hooked on Coke Zero (not the Splenda version). I know it's not good for me, but I wanted something sweet since I stopped using Splenda in my coffee and other things. Splenda was just horrible on my stomach. Anyway, I realized I was going overboard (1 a day), and have stopped drinking them again. I think I could handle 1 or 2 a month as a treat, but 1 a day is too much for me (again, stomach problems). Sweeteners just don't agree with me, and as a pre-diabetic, I can't do sugar, either.

itsnikki
07-09-2011, 12:20 AM
We don't really keep pop in the house. Partially because it's healthy this way, but also because it is so much cheaper to keep it out of the house!
I still buy lightly sweetened iced tea for hubby since he doesn't like to drink water straight. For myself it is: water, tomato juice, coffee or milk these days. Once in a while some wine.

The idea of pop in general to me is horrible! It is horrible for our bodies and very expensive when compared to other options. When pop was first made it was meant to be used as a treat. Not something that people drink tons and tons of each day.

I make my own green tea. It's cheaper than in the bottle and I can make it a little darker, which is how I like it. :) I put some lemon in it, and a *little* bit of sugar. It's so yummy! That and water is pretty much all I want now.

To me, Soda is too sweet and Diet is too FAKE sweet... I don't like any artificial sweeteners. I've tried my hardest. They're just no goes for me. lol

kaplods
07-09-2011, 01:18 AM
In looking at the studies, there are several explanations for the results of the studies mentioned asides from blaming the sweetener. In the human longitudinal study it showed that those who drank more diet soda had larger waists - but while the aspartame may have contributed to the weight/waist gain - another possibility is that people who saw their waistline increasing (that is saw they were gaining weight) started drinking diet soda (an effect, not a cause of the expanding waistline).

Likewise in the case of the mice, it's likely that the sweetness in the chow made it taste "better" and so encouraged the mice to eat more (it's actually not surprising, both animals and humans have a tendency to overeat "yummier" foods). I would bet that it wasn't the aspartame the directly caused the blood sugar - it was the carbs in the chow. The sweetener may have gave them a bigger appetite for their chows (a high carb food), so the added food quite likely (I'd even say probable) caused the blood sugar spike, not the sweetener itself.

The advantage to being a human being though, is being able to keep a food journal and control your calorie level. Even though sweeteners may increase our appetite and interest in sweet and higher carb foods, unlike lab mice we have the ability to use our food journal to decide whether or not to indulge.

I've dieted with and without diet sodas and artificial sweeteners, and I didn't experience enough of a difference to say there was one. Calories and to a lesser degree carbohydrate level had a lot more to do with my weight loss (or lack of it) than the diet sodas.

If you don't count your food in some way (calories, exchanges, WWpoints...), it may make sense to drop the artificial sweeteners (because there are several studies that suggest artifical sweeteners can increase appetite or cravings), but if you're counting your calories, it may not matter.

You have to weigh the possible risks with the possible benefits. I've discovered (by analyzing my food logs) that real sugar fires up my appetite far more than artificial sweeteners do, so if I'm going to have something sweet, a diet soda makes more sense than something with real sugar (but perhaps only because I'm counting). If I weren't controlling my calories through my exchange plan, giving up all sweet foods would probably make sense - as well as virtually all high-carb foods, because I've found that all high-carb foods, even healthy ones like fruit and whole grain pasta result in appetite spikes. To keep hunger under tight enough control to lose weight, I would have to eat lower carb than I'm comfortable doing. So for me, it's either strict carb control with very few carbs and no artificial or natural sweeteners either, or a counting plan.

The counting plan makes more sense to me.

Koshka
07-09-2011, 02:23 AM
For years I was a real diet soda addict -- used to be diet coke, then coke zero. A few months ago I was drinking 4 or 5 a day. I decided to have less artificial sweetener and tapered off over a couple of weeks. FWIW I don't notice faster weight loss and years ago I got to a goal of 125 on WW while drinking diet drinks regularly.

Sense I gave up diet drinks a few months ago I mostly drink water, some True Lemonade and occasionally Crystal Light Pure. I do buy some foods with a little Splenda and don't mind stevia and even a small amount of sugar (such as in True lemonade but still it is only 5 cal per serving and counts as 0 carbs, I think it is about 1/2 a carb really). When I eat out I do get diet drinks and occasionally will buy one.

I'm not sure that aspartame is unsafe or that it increases sugar cravings but I decided I just wanted to largely avoid it nonetheless, at least not have it every day.

April Snow
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I've dieted with artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and diet sodas - and I've dieted without them (sometimes giving up one, sometimes giving up all three), and I've found no difference with my weight loss. In my experience my calorie level, my activity level, (and to a lesser degree, my carb level) has more to do with my degree of weight loss than whether or not I use caffeine or artificial sweeteners (or specifically diet sodas).

My experience is similar. I'm drinking one or two diet sodas a day and very pleased with my weight loss, and I've always lost weight in the past while having a similar amount of it.

I drink over 100 oz of water every day, but sometimes, it's nice to have something sweet and flavored.

I don't even like the taste of non-diet soda, it tastes far too sweet and syrupy to me, so even when I'm not actively watching my weight, I choose diet soda for the taste of it.

kaplods
07-11-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't even like the taste of non-diet soda, it tastes far too sweet and syrupy to me, so even when I'm not actively watching my weight, I choose diet soda for the taste of it.

I don't drink regular soda for the same reason. The only regular soda I have a distinct memory of drinking when I was really little (and the only diet sodas were Tab and Fresca) was cokes and Crush orange in tiny 6-8 oz bottle).

I don't drink diet soda because I think it helps with weight loss. I don't even eat fruits and vegetables to help with weight loss. What helps my weight loss is restricting my calories (and to a lesser degree carbs) and being more active.

I don't like regular soda, but I do like flavored beverages (I like plain water too, as long as it's ice cold. I'm not a fan of tepid water). Even if I liked regular soda, it would be difficult to fit into my calorie budget.

I do think artificial sweeteners do prime your sweet tooth, but I think sugar and refined carbohydrates are worse. After reading David Kessler's, The End of Overeating, I'm convinced that sweetness (and especially the sweet/salty/fat flavor combination) is addictive. The more you have, the more you want.

I could eliminate all sweetness (including fruit) from my diet. Some people have success with that, but I'm reluctant to go to that extreme because I LIKE sweetness and don't want to elminate it, entirely.

I do try to manipulate my sweet tooth, but diluting sweet foods, and that does help, because for me it's the intensity that seems to be the issue. Dried fruit is more addictive to me than diet soda, because it's far sweeter (and it's actual sugar and the calories are concentrated too).

I think there are a lot of differences between people, and that only keeping a food journal can help you find what works and what doesn't for you.

doIlookfat?
07-16-2011, 03:25 AM
For years I have struggled with my overactive appetite. I tried everything to get back into control of my overeating. A few weeks ago I read an article on diet sodas and aspartame. It said those who drink diet sodas tend to weigh more.

So I quit cold turkey. Just to see what would happen. 2 diet Dr. Peppers a day down to none. Just water. You know what? My compulsion to overeat... Gone! I actually feel hunger again! I don't think about food 24/7! I totally believe the aspartame made me crave sugar and junk food. It's been 2 weeks and I feel like I can do this now. I feel so more in control. I lost a few lbs. and I know it's because I am just not that interested in eating. I eat, but normal amounts now. I am not eating all day long anymore!

I am SO much more happier! I will never touch the stuff again!

Heidi

Beach Patrol
07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
I drink diet Mtn Dew (on occasion, Coke Zero) because I don't want to "drink" my calories. Being an ex-Mtn Dew addict, at first I couldn't stand the taste of Diet Dew, but by mixing it half & half, and slowly adding more diet than regular, I grew to enjoy the taste. Now a regular Mtn Dew (or Coke or any soda) just tastes entirely too sweet to me.

That said, I only have one (or sometimes 2) per day. I have coffee in the morning (usually 2 cups) with two Equals. Otherwise I drink water almost all the time & always drink it throughout the day (& keep it by my bed at night because I often wake up thirsty).

I have not noticed any difference at all with my weight loss because of the diet soda. I know people who have "lost over 20 lbs!" simply by cutting soda from their diet. Obviously I ain't one of'm. :dizzy: But I do wonder if I cut soda out completely - no diet, no nothin' - would I FEEL any different? That may be something I try once I get to maintain-level. But while I'm trying to LOSE the weight, I'll stick with my Diet Dew a couple times a day. ;)

LotusFlowers
07-31-2011, 10:31 AM
I completely dropped all sodas. If I have to have something fizzy, I grab a Perrier which isn't often. I just can't get used to diet soda so I leave it all alone. I don't want to drink or eat anything that will just give me more work to do lol.

Amarantha2
08-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Diet sodas help me as do artificial sweeteners in general to a degree. I control and log what I eat so when I have diet sodas, if it does increase my appetite or anything, it would make no difference as I eat by the numbers.

I see no benefit in a weight loss or maintenance program in drinking 100s of calories in real soda but sometimes I want soda. It is a no brainer to me that it is better to have the no cal option, for me. Studies notwithstanding lol.

philana
08-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Call me silly, but I refuse to use light products or diet stuff. If I want something, I waant the real thing. Ill just have less of it. I am happy I beat my soda(coke) addiction a few months ago and got myself off the redbull a few weeks ago. My skin is much improved. And now when I want to.. I enjoy it as a nice treat.

And energyboosts can be gotten through good fruits or excersise anyhow. When very busy with something vor Uni i'll use guarana tablets for a few days. Ive researched it for a while before I got them, and it supposedly has no health risks, is 100percent natural. But, always as with everything - in moderation!

NotJustALittleFat
08-05-2011, 12:32 AM
We do hardly any processed foods, artificial sweeteners or artificial colors in our diet at home. That said I believe in everything in moderation, so if I really want one I try to go for the new "all-natural" sodas

ElleHolla
08-05-2011, 01:18 AM
I fell in love with diet coke/cherry coke and found it SO hard to "cut back", and then completely get rid of it (in the sense that I knew I could "reward" myself if I was doing well on my diet by having a glass of it, but decided against it completely)

as crazy as it sounds... the LONGER I've gone without having any, the easier it's gotten...

the same goes with fast food/french fries...
my tummy gets upset at the smell of fried food..

i'm not sure if that is entirely a good thing.. but i guess it's helped me thus far! LOL

yoyoma
08-05-2011, 07:03 AM
I have gone years without drinking soda. But they started carrying diet Dr. Pepper at work. When I am serious about losing weight, I do drink a can at work (though I only go in a few days a week). For me, it's a treat to feel less deprived when I am strictly controlling calories. In my own study (with a data point of one), drinking diet soda is associated with a shrinking waistline!

sontaikle
08-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I've been drinking diet soda since I was child. My mother never liked the regular sodas (too sweet for her) and since I never really had regular soda I find it too sweet for me when I (usually accidentally) drink some.

I must be weird or something, because diet soda (Diet Coke, my favorite drink ever) fills me up instead of making me crave sugar. I also loved the caffeine bost during grad school! :dizzy:

I know that stuff is horrible for you, so I don't drink it as often as I used to, but I still have it every once in a while, especially when I start feeling hungry and I know I shouldn't be eating yet!

belljason92
08-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Diet sodas have the same quantity of carbs even if they change the sugar with artificial sugar. Never drink sodas to cool yourself. You must always prefer having fresh juice or even packaged juices.

yoyoma
08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Diet sodas have the same quantity of carbs even if they change the sugar with artificial sugar. Never drink sodas to cool yourself. You must always prefer having fresh juice or even packaged juices.

Sorry, but this is just not correct. Diet sodas have no carbs. They may have other ingredients that you wish to avoid, but I know of no diet soda with any carbs in it.

I personally avoid juice and think it is a fairly unhealthy beverage for me because it has all of the sugar carbs (including a lot of fructose, which I'd rather avoid) of fruit and usually none of the fiber.

Tanna Banana
08-13-2011, 06:35 AM
My favorite "soda" is fruit juice with some club soda mixed in. Fruit uices still have a ton of sugar. So I figure cutting in half makes it a little better.

kaplods
08-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Fruit juice can be extremely unhealthy. They can actually have more calories and sugar than regular soda.

Of all the sweet beverages, for me, diet soda is the lesser of evils. The perception of sodas' unhealthiness is worse than the reality. Don't get me wrong, it will never be a health food, but it's not exactly the chemical stew people think it is. Often they're getting the same or worse chemicals in other foods they're eating, if they eat any processed, prepared or restaurant foods at all. And they're often living with and using far more dangerous substances in their homes, but because they're not swallowing them, they don't take those risks as seriously.

It frustrates me when I'm lectured on the evils of diet soda by friends and family who are using so many household chemicals that I can't be in their homes for more than a few minutes without risking an asthma attack because of the odor and fragrance overload. Bleach, pine sol, air fresheners, detergents, oven cleaners, fabric softeners...

And if they smoke and/or drink more than moderately, I find it extremely difficult not to point out that the risks of smoking and excessive drinking far outweigh those of artificial sweeteners, preservatives and food colorings in diet soda.

Just as annoying are the people who are self-righteous because they drink sparking waters (which is only uncolored or less-colored soda).

People often think that because they're usually clear or very palely colored, flavored "sparkling waters" must be healthier than soda (because it "looks" cleaner and hey it's more expensive and says sparkling water beverage rather than soda - it must be better for you).

There are some really good books out there, that explain food additives and environmental pollutants, household chemicals... which help you really understand which products are safe and which aren't - and how they compare to each other.

"Reputation" is the least valid way to evaluate a food or product's safety, because reputation is a reflection of impression, not reality.

lisa4621
08-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I am not a big fan of diet drinks. The calories are less but there's not alot of nutrition in them and the ingredients list often has no natural ingredients.

There was a television show in the UK recently (I forget which one) that conducted an experiment with groups of athletes. The first group drank regular cola and the second group drank diet and then they monitored how much they ate. The results showed that the second group ate on average 20% more food, this was because the sweetness of diet cola makes the body think it will receive a rush of energy and when this doesn't happen the body looks to find that energy.

Now personally, I have had the odd can of diet cola in the past and I have not felt an elivated hunger level but it is an interesting theory ...

Tanna Banana
08-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Fruit juice can be extremely unhealthy. They can actually have more calories and sugar than regular soda.

Agreed about the fruit juice. Especially if you drink too much. DH stopped buying juice once he started his weight loss about 6 weeks ago. Now it's mainly milk, water and every now and then some diluted kool-aid (it's a nice treat sometimes-haha). We haven't missed the fruit juice much at all. The ONLY side benefit from the fruit juice are some vitamins... however, it's always better to eat the whole fruit. Less concentrated calories and more fiber.

I have no problem drinking an odd diet soda, but I do try not to drink them too much. For what it's worth, I don't eat a ton of processed foods either. I do think that some people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners though. A few of my colleagues/friends/family members get terrible headaches from aspartame. I also don't doubt that the sweeteners mess with the body's cravings for sweets.

In moderation, no problem for me :)

MGilmore
08-14-2011, 06:46 AM
I used to drink regular Pepsi to the tune of about 1,100 calories a day. I finally switched to diet pop and have lost 87 lbs so far. I know this is not totally due to the switch but it did help a lot. I will not give up my Diet Dr Pepper;-))
I also lost a lot of inches off of my waist going from a 47" to a 34". I really question some of the studies that are now coming out against diet pop.

toodles11
08-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I rarely ever drink a non-diet soda, preferably Dr Pepper or Barq's Root Beer, maybe once every couple of months? I used to hate diet soda but I really like Coke Zero. The past couple years I've been drinking it maybe a can a day, some days more than that. I do think it triggers some overeating for me. There have been periods of time where I don't drink any soda and feel like it's easier for me to stick to my diet that way. Also, I like to not eat processed/chemical laden foods so soda doesn't really fit in there.

The only exception is pizza. I don't know why but if I eat pizza, I want a soda with it.

What helps me to stay away from soda is make myself a water goal and to reach that I don't have "time" to drink soda, I'm busy trying to reach my daily water intake.

Hap
08-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Just as annoying are the people who are self-righteous because they drink sparking waters (which is only uncolored or less-colored soda).

People often think that because they're usually clear or very palely colored, flavored "sparkling waters" must be healthier than soda (because it "looks" cleaner and hey it's more expensive and says sparkling water beverage rather than soda - it must be better for you

I agree with a lot of your post but I just want to point out there are many many sparkling waters out there that are simply carbonated water and nothing else and just the carbonation alone hasn't shown some of the negative effects that soda may cause. However there are flavored waters (as you say) that do have the same chemicals as soda. One has to read the labels. I know it is annoying when some get on their anti soda high horse tho!

124chicksinger
09-01-2011, 10:19 AM
I totally drink seltzer, plain, because I'm diabetic and the fruit juice is bad for me and I've been drinking seltzer since I'm a kid because I was told it quenches thirst. I did have a diet pepsi monkey on my back at one time. I gave it up because of the artificial sweetener(s). I try to stay away from those, and I am particularly intolerant of the taste of Splenda. I don't know why. I would occasionally enjoy a sugar free Sans Sucre brand cheesecake mousse; when they switched to Splenda, it changed for me and seemed very chemical tasting.

4star
09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Well I have been diabetic so I can tell you that it had NO affect on this human's blood sugars. I am more concerned about the effects of the carbonation on bone density but since I have osteoarthritis, I am at less risk for osteoporosis.

I like diet soda. I can't afford it all of the time but I do like to enjoy them as a part of a balanced plan. Obviously, if you're drinking a 24 pack a day, you might want to moderate that behavior and create some balance.

kaplods
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately, often the way research is conducted, some information gets lost in the shuffle.

If something helps some people, and to a similar degree hinders other people with weight loss, the statistics used to judge the data are likely to convince the researchers that there was "no effect."

Likewise, if diet sodas helps some people, but hinders more people or to a larger degree, the research will conclude that diet sodas hinder weight loss (and the fact that it helped some people will go unnoticed).

Or if diet sodas help some people, but hinders more people or to a lesser degree, the research will conclude that diet sodas help weight loss (and the fact that it hindered some people will go unnoticed).

All three of those results (no difference, helps, hinders) may be true for some people and false for others. The research can only tell us the trend, not the specific truth in our own lives.

In my own life, if I use drinking a diet soda to justify splurging on dessert - that's not a helpful strategy. However, if I choose a diet soda in place of sugary soda or dessert, that is a helpful strategy.

Like absolutely every "tool" we have for weight loss, diet sodas and artificial sweeteners (and all the other thousands of potential tools) can be used to help or to harm.

brillmama2
09-04-2011, 03:08 PM
I can only speak form my experiance because I think all the reserch is done in favor of the all mighty dollar.. I tgink most of its crap
That being said I gave up all soda and coffee 3 weeks ago. I did have 1 rum and diet coke. Last weekend and that was only cause I wanted to knumb the pain assoicated with a terrible ear infection.. it worked also
I feel more aware and clear then I have in my whole life... I never wake up foggy and slow. And I have only craved coffe a couple times. I don't think it has had any effect on my weight loss. But I don't like being reliant on something for my mood or energy levels...
Also about the juice I thimk it is awsome for you if it is fresh homemade and noy just orange.. I have been making my own and have a glass or two a day as a meal replacement and its great I use carrots apples grapes cucumbers celery whatever crosses my mind.. and there's no better nutrient... . My husband seen what I was doing and gave up his daily 6-8 mnt dews and feels way better also. He loves the homemade juices
I highly recomend ditching the coke diet or not and the caffenne as well. Let your body learn to energize itself without the stimulants and fake crap...

lulu84
11-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I drink loads of diet coke - I know I shouldn't - but I think I might have a bit of an addiction! I prob have about 2 cans a day... which is mental. I've read that high levels of artificial sweetener in the bowel can increase the chance of getting bowel cancer - has anyone else heard this? Also, although it's not real sugar it can apparently rot your teeth too...
I'm going to cut down on the fizzy pop.... have a water target instead. You are right brillmama2 about getting your body to energize itself and ditching the caffeine :)

jttw18
12-19-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't drink diet sodas. I've heard that it doesn't even help with losing weight. That's also a misconception in many magazine articles.

But I do believe there are some positive effects in relation to diet sodas.

freelancemomma
05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I grew up with zero pop in the house and continue this tradition with my own family. It simply never occurs to me to buy pop. When I go a restaurant, though, I almost always order a diet coke.

F.

krampus
05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
I hate Diet Coke but love Coke Zero and Diet Pepsi. I never buy it, but it's a go-to when I'm out "drinking" but not DRINKING with friends or whenever I go to Subway or another fast-food type place (about 1-2 times a week).

Not really worried about its impact on my weight or well-being, since I don't drink a lot of it and it has no calories.

novangel
05-24-2012, 10:04 AM
This is old news. I drink it a few times a year but never buy it myself to have at home.. Gives me UTI's, and working in dental I have seen first hand the horrible damage it does to your teeth. When parents give it to their young kids it makes my head spin but to each their own.

JustJ280
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I am not a big fan of diet drinks. The calories are less but there's not alot of nutrition in them and the ingredients list often has no natural ingredients.

There was a television show in the UK recently (I forget which one) that conducted an experiment with groups of athletes. The first group drank regular cola and the second group drank diet and then they monitored how much they ate. The results showed that the second group ate on average 20% more food, this was because the sweetness of diet cola makes the body think it will receive a rush of energy and when this doesn't happen the body looks to find that energy.

Now personally, I have had the odd can of diet cola in the past and I have not felt an elivated hunger level but it is an interesting theory ...

Here's the thing, though... what they DID NOT take into account in that particular study was the people's THOUGHTS on the drinks. Meaning, I don't think they gained because they were actually hungrier -- I think they gained because they thought, hey, this has less calories so I can have dessert! I can have more chips! Or, I can do this or eat that since this is zero calories! Truth be told, I think THAT is why people tend to eat more or even gain with diet soda. They think, well, it's diet and less calories and the they end up consuming MORE calories just because they think they can. That's why I think Kaplods info is VERY interesting... I mean, it makes sense that if we're eating something sweet that we enjoy that we would eat more -- as in the study with the mice. If their chow overall tasted better (adding sweetness to savory) that they would eat more. Same goes for humans, if they're getting something sweet and they KNOW it's zero cals, they would want to consume it more and then as an added kick, they would want to eat more since they KNOW it's zero cals. All of it is very interesting!

But I do have to say, I hate the mice to human comparisons. Mostly because... well, as humans we have the ability to think, compare, and make decisions where as with mice, it's all about survival instinct and nothing more. They never know when the next meal is coming even if they are trained that they will eat 2 or 3 times a day from the time they are born in the lab. I just never got the variables on how the comparisons truly worked. Just a bunch of crap to me when it comes to these types of studies.

With all that said, I love diet drinks, but I just don't drink them often. I drink tons of coffee with just a bit of Aspartame because Splenda gives me issues and I like Sweet-n-Low, but I just don't use it as much. Aspartame is the second oldest 'artificial' sweetener and for me, is really what works. And I think that as rational humans who are able to figure things out for ourselves, we just have to figure out what works and what doesn't for our own bodies. I know I don't crave anything extra and if anything, it cuts it back for me (in coffee at least). And its the one thing I do fake. And like others have said, I too am more about moderation. I'm not trying to be some health freak or superwoman -- I just want to be better than I was. The best me that I can be! To be happy and HEALTHIER even if I'm not perfect. Lord knows my grandparents weren't and they lived long and healthy lives during times when there WEREN'T all these health fads and over the top things.

Sorry for the book! HA! But I think it's just got to get down to moderation and doing what works for you even if that's not the norm or follows the science or whatever.

Goanna
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't use diet drinks a lot but if I am having soda then I will choose diet over sugar based every time.

Daisy25
06-15-2012, 06:28 PM
I completely lost my appetite for soda (diet and regular) after watching a documentary episode how it is made/what is is made from. Every time I see someone pouring soda into a cup all I see now is a thick maple syrup-like substance pouring down. Eck!

Amarantha2
07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't feel there is any harm one way or another to my diet from drinking a diet soda. It is better than drinking a sugary soda with 100s of calories, for me. To each their own. :)

Firecracker777
07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
I also started drinking coke zero, and I was drinking a ton of it. My fiance also started drinking it with me instead of regular coke but then he started having stomach pains. Apparently aspartame can cause that, along with other issues. I've stopped drinking all diet sodas and try to avoid soda in general for the most part.

TamTam
07-08-2012, 06:07 PM
I try not to drink too many sodas, so I started added lemon juice to club soda, it gives the "sensation" of a soda but not a soda. I went to the doctor and have to increase my calcium intake and I seem to have read some place that the caffeine mess up your calcium. Sometimes I add just a tad of juice to the club soad instead of the lemon juice.

MariaMaria
07-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I seem to have read some place that the caffeine mess up your calcium.

Reputable cite, please?

TamTam
07-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Reputable cite, please?

OMG, will have to see if I can remember! Will look and see if I can find it again it's been awhile since I read it.

TamTam
07-08-2012, 07:27 PM
OMG, will have to see if I can remember! Will look and see if I can find it again it's been awhile since I read it.

Googled it and found an article on fitday.com and livestrong.com

sammielaw
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
When i went on a diet few years ago I replaced my yummy regular soda with diet soda I found that diet soda if anything had me gain weight while i was trying to lose weight....This time around im just not having soda at all only water for me :)

devnet
08-03-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm really not into soda in general, even when I've been 'off the wagon'. Makes me feel bloated and generally not great, and just tastes too sweet.

Lemon in water is yummy, I'd much prefer that.

Garnet2727
08-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I drink a lot of diet Coke. I have for most of my adult life. Thus far, it hasn't impeded my weight loss. I have tried to quit drinking it in the past but I've not been able to make it past the caffeine withdrawal headaches.

ringmaster
08-03-2012, 11:15 PM
This is old news. I drink it a few times a year but never buy it myself to have at home.. Gives me UTI's, and working in dental I have seen first hand the horrible damage it does to your teeth. When parents give it to their young kids it makes my head spin but to each their own.

that's the main reason I gave it up - concern for my teeth and bones. Drinking diet soda even just a couple of times a day would start to make my teeth hurt and they'd get really sensitive.

Alot of people lose weight because of vanity (and health ;)) but try to reason that the diet soda is ok, it curbs their sweet tooth for no calories - but then they ignore the possible health effects and damage on their teeth and bones later which can effect someone's appearance and health just as much as having the extra pounds can.

I now drink alot of tea and some coffee which I know has acid that's not good for your teeth also (still alot less than soda) but I don't have the issue with teeth hurting or getting overly sensitive.

Misti in Seattle
08-09-2012, 04:18 AM
I used to drink tons of diet soft drinks but gave it up and am so glad I did. I did a lot of research and now don't touch fake sugar at all and try to avoid chemicals, processed food, etc, as much as possible. I did a big study on the way foods are processed and... YUCK! I don't just want to lose weight; I want to be healthy, and I am convinced that all the garbage in American processed foods is extremely bad for us. I am also convinced a lot of the food and drink manufacturers *intentionally* add addictive substances to keep us coming back for more. Just my opinion but in doing research I find I am for sure not the only person who believes this.

Jentry07
12-14-2012, 12:52 PM
I've heard so many back and forth issues with this! I've heard that the mice study is a misconception as the amount of aspartame they were given for their little body frames would by an unreasonable amount for humans to digest. With that being said I still feel like it's unnatural and we still should be digesting it, at least in not large quantities. I think if you are having one of those days craving a coke, go for the coke zero but keep it to one and try limiting these times as well!

Misti in Seattle
12-14-2012, 06:59 PM
But I do believe there are some positive effects in relation to diet sodas.

Such as?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/210926-ingredients-in-diet-sodas/

zzBBzz
12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
I have been experimenting with all sorts of teas - with and without caffeine. It takes some practice to change your habits. Once changed, it is wonderful - at least to me it is.

Suzanne 3FC
12-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I am also convinced a lot of the food and drink manufacturers *intentionally* add addictive substances to keep us coming back for more. Just my opinion but in doing research I find I am for sure not the only person who believes this.

You are very close in your assessment, Misti. Have you read The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler? Kessler is a former FDA commissioner, and his book is eye opening and disturbing. He discusses how the food industry works with scientists and psychologists to manipulate processed foods to keep consumers coming back for more. It's not just a matter of creating a recipe that tastes good.

Suzanne 3FC
12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
I have been experimenting with all sorts of teas - with and without caffeine. It takes some practice to change your habits. Once changed, it is wonderful - at least to me it is.

I agree :) I mainly drink water, but I also enjoy tea - completely unsweetened. I won't touch artificial sweeteners. Even iced tea tastes wonderful without sweetener if you get a good quality tea.

I retrained my sweet tooth and I stick as close to nature as possible. Sweets are for special occasions.

If given a choice between diet soda or regular soda, I choose water :)

Misti in Seattle
12-17-2012, 04:26 AM
I agree :) I mainly drink water, but I also enjoy tea - completely unsweetened. I won't touch artificial sweeteners. Even iced tea tastes wonderful without sweetener if you get a good quality tea.

I retrained my sweet tooth and I stick as close to nature as possible. Sweets are for special occasions.

If given a choice between diet soda or regular soda, I choose water :)

Excellent post, Suzanne! Learning to drink mostly water -- with an occasional coffee -- was one of the smartest things I ever did. And once the cravings go away... and as you said, the sweet tooth retrained... you really don't even miss it. I too have sweets occasionally, but not on a regular basis. Since I don't like most teas, my doctor suggested white tea... I got some white raspberry and it is good but I still usually just go for water. AND hot water with fresh lemon or lime is also delicious... or lemon/lime in seltzer. I also like about 1/4 cup of grape juice in a 16 oz bottle of seltzer.

Misti in Seattle
12-17-2012, 04:32 AM
You are very close in your assessment, Misti. Have you read The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler? Kessler is a former FDA commissioner, and his book is eye opening and disturbing. He discusses how the food industry works with scientists and psychologists to manipulate processed foods to keep consumers coming back for more. It's not just a matter of creating a recipe that tastes good.

Thanks, Suzanne. I have not read that but will definitely go check into it. I just googled and see he has a lot of videos on YouTube. I have read and viewed a LOT of Michael Pollan's stuff and he is so right. He says approx 80% of products in grocery stores are made of corn, and I have been checking him out and finding out he is RIGHT. Even my cottage cheese had corn starch (by a different name) in it... I switched to an organic, higher quality brand which really is cottage cheese! And yes, it is being manipulated. We have to do our research and find out just what we are eating. Just take your favorite products and google the ingredients, and what you find is disgusting!!

redreine
12-25-2012, 11:23 PM
this is something we've all been told for years
I still drink soda, and diet soda...diet coke specifically, but not to lose weight, I just enjoy the taste

my favorite soda story to tell comes from my cousin
he went a year without drinking soda
no significant exercise, no change in diet, still ate badly
and just a year cutting out soda, lost 60 lbs

Pink Hurricane
12-26-2012, 06:54 AM
I stopped drinking soda over 4 months ago. I was a big diet soda person due to no calories but as I did more research I came to the conclusion that soda is not going to be going in my body anymore. Occasionally I will have a regular soda if that is the only option, but I always drink water, tea (no artificial sweeteners), and coffee. On special occasions, I have a glass of 100% natural juice.

Garnet2727
12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Oops, wrong thread!

Lakilaulea
12-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm fortunate that I've never cared for soda. As a kid I drank it a lot, but lost the taste for it in my early 20s. I can't even really drink juice. I don't like sweet liquids, which is weird 'cause I love sweet everything else LOL I drink water pretty much exclusively except for the occasional V8 and skim milk. I've definitely never cared for diet drinks. I can taste that sickly sweet chemical and will always choose water over that. If I must have soda, I'll just drink the regular stuff, but even then I'll always choose water instead.

CabernetKitty
12-28-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't know, when I got very slender I was drinking a lot of diet soda. I'm not convinced it's that bad for you. I drink all of my beverages through a straw anyway, so harming my teeth isn't a concern.