General Diet Plans and Questions - Intuitive Eating #14

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : Intuitive Eating #14

carolr3639
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Here we go again. Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied.

carolr3639
06-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Why is it always so hard to get people on to the new thread?

carolr3639
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Thought this was interesting from Health.

Yes, You Can Eat Sugar

Sick of hearing about all the negatives of eating sweets? Well, if you're active, a little sugar can actually be beneficial, according to a new report.
"Sipping a sports drink with a small amount of fructose" -a simple sugar- "gives athletes energy and helps combat dehydration," says Richard J. Johnson, MD, professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical campus in Denver and coauthor of the study. That's true whether you're a marathon runner, a zumba fan, or and avid walker.
Not only does sugar help you handle your workout better, the reverse also seems to be true: Exercise can help you better metabolize sugar, reversing your risk of obesity and diseases like type 2 diabetes,which some scientists have linked to excessive sugar consumption. "The more exercise you do, the better your vascular function," Dr. Johnson says. "You develop high levels of nitric oxide and reduce uric acid in the blood, which can make you better at resisting some of sugar's negative effects."
Bottom Line: Dr. Johnson recommends sticking to no more than 25 to 35 gm of fructose a day, along with exercise. There are about 22 gm in a can of cola, 9 in a small cupcake, 8 in a sports drink, and 6 to 8 in a serving of fruit.

pattygirl63
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks again for sharing that info Carolr DH was surprised when the doctor diagnosed me with diabetes 2 that he told him that I didn't have to give up sugar completely... he said for example that I could have ice cream in place of a meal if I wanted to. Saw a man in the store the other day who said that he doctor told him to just go easy on the sugar. I 4 eat dark chocolate kisses everyday at the end of my meal.

I wrote on the old #13 IE thread because I didn't take time to read on there until just now because I've been to busy to come to 3fc for several days.

I mainly wanted let y'all know I hadn't forgotten y'all. With all that is going on around here deciding what to do about Tony's DD and her family (were we going to move there or them here) then I spent time finding out info on schools and what they needed to transfer up here. I have really been busy and with them moving in with us so the kids can start school here things do promise to get busier than usual. I may not be here real often, but have decided that I get so much good stuff here that I plan to make a special effort to check in here at the IE thread as often as possible.

Becky I too go through the same thing about low carbing, but I'm just not willing to go that strict. Besides when the kids move in, I won't be able to do a strict low carb. I think I can limit my starchy carbs, but I don't like the idea of cutting them out completely. Would I do better on low carb? Yes, the fasting blood glucose would be so much better, I'm just not willing to make that strict a change. I've toyed with the idea of South Beach Diet but I don't think it is healthy or necessary to go as low as they do on the fat. Of course, I don't think it is healthy to eat as much fat as a lot of people do on other low carb plans. JMHO

carolr3639
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Another interesting article from Yahoo news.

Think you're making a healthier choice when you reach for diet soda instead of a sugary soft drink? Think again.

Diet soft drinks may have minimal calories, but they can still have a major impact on your waistline, according to two studies presented at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

Researchers at the Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio tracked 474 people, all 65 to 74 years old, for nearly a decade, measuring the subjects' height, weight, waist circumference, and diet soft drink intake every 3.6 years. The waists of those who drank diet soft drinks grew 70 percent more than those who avoided the artificially sweetened stuff; people who drank two or more servings a day had waist-circumference increases that were five times larger than non-diet-soda consumers.

The findings are in line with those of a 2005 study, also conducted by researchers at the Texas Health Science Center, in which the chance of becoming overweight or obese increased with every diet soda consumed.

“On average, for each diet soft drink our participants drank per day, they were 65 percent more likely to become overweight during the next seven to eight years, and 41 percent more likely to become obese,” said Sharon Fowler, who was a faculty associate in the division of clinical epidemiology in the Health Science Center’s department of medicine at the time.

But how does something with no calories cause weight gain? Turns out that even if our taste buds can't tell the difference between real and fake sugar, our brains can. Another study, also presented at the American Diabetes Association meeting on Sunday, found that after three months of eating food laced with aspartame (which is also found in many diet soft drinks), mice had higher blood sugar levels than rodents who ate regular food. According to Fowler, who worked on all three studies and is now a researcher at UT Health Science Center at San Diego, the aspartame could trigger the appetite but do nothing to satisfy it. That could interfere with your body's ability to tell when you're full—and could lead you to eat more in general.

It happens in humans, too. A 2008 study found that women who drank water sweetened with sugar and water sweetened with Splenda couldn't taste a difference, but functional MRI scans showed that their brains' reward center responded to real sugar "more completely" than it did to the artificial sweetener.

"Your senses tell you there's something sweet that you're tasting, but your brain tells you, 'actually, it's not as much of a reward as I expected,'" Dr. Martin P. Paulus, a professor of psychiatry at the University of California San Diego and one of the authors of the study, told the Huffington Post. So you chase that no-calorie soda with something more caloric, like a salty snack. The sweet taste could also trigger your body to produce insulin, which blocks your ability to burn fat.

Aside from the health problems that go along with a widening waistline, diet soft drinks have also been linked to an increase in diabetes, heart attack, and stroke. One study of more than 2,500 people found that those "who drank diet soda daily had a 61 percent increased risk of cardiovascular events compared to those who drank no soda, even when accounting for smoking, physical activity, alcohol consumption and calories consumed per day," ABC News reported in February. And a 2008 University of Minnesota study of nearly 10,000 adults ages 45 to 64 found that drinking a single can of diet soda a day led to a 34 percent higher risk of developing metabolic syndrome, a collection of health problems that includes high blood sugar, high cholesterol, and high levels of belly fat.

"Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you," writes Katherine Zeratsky, a nutritionist at the Mayo Clinic. "The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer."

"Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals," she added. "But diet soda isn't a health drink or a silver bullet for weight loss."

carolr3639
06-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Trish, you are going to be one busy woman.

carolr3639
06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
DH was surprised when the doctor diagnosed me with diabetes 2 that he told him that I didn't have to give up sugar completely... he said for example that I could have ice cream in place of a meal if I wanted to.

That's what I did last night!! I can't believe you said that.

Truffle
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi, ladies...

Trish, I agree with you that it's not necessary to restrict fat like South Beach does, and like we've been taught for so many years. I've done so much research into low carb that I just don't think fat is bad. (Trans-fats are, but not "real" fats, such as on meat, butter, etc.) I did South Beach for several days once, but couldn't stick to that either.

I'm with you. Do I know that low carb would be better for my health? Yup! Can I stick to it? Nope! (I don't like meat, so that's a strike against me right off the bat.)

I read about your family members moving in with you. Trusting the Lord is right! My brother moved in with us "temporarily" five years ago, and will probably share our house permanently. My dh's son moved in two years ago, and I doubt he'll be able to afford a different place on his own either.

It has required some changes and ongoing adaptation on all our parts. Most days I enjoy having them here. Some days I wish they'd move out. :p

For the most part, the arrangement works. The thing I miss the most is the large room I used to use as my art studio, but I manage.

As the economy continues to go downhill, I think a lot more families are going to end up moving under one roof. We're just on the cutting edge of the trend, right? I wish you all well with it. I know the huge amounts of work it requires before family members can move in.

On the eating front, my dh is disgusted with his weight too, so we're going to work on cutting back our portions together.

At first I thought I might track in Spark People, but I did it yesterday and realized it just continues the diet mentality for me, so I'm going to leave that alone.

My dh is lucky: he can make up his mind to eat tiny portions, does it, and loses the weight easily.

I struggle for every ounce I lose.

pattygirl63
06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Carolr Intereting article. Makes you wonder if we have just been brainwashed into thinking the diet stuff is better for us. humm. I don't drink cold drinks most of the time. I have been drinking green tea with Stevia lately. I usually have water with lemon and whatever sweetner they have which usually is Sweet'n Low. May have to switch to just drinking water.

Becky I too have heard that more and more families are going to have to move in together. I'm going to love having the grandchildren here, but will be an adjustment since we haven't lived around them in about 5 yrs. The kids are excited about having the enclosed back porch to do things in. I have already told them that is Nannie's space for quite time. I told them that they can be out there with me but there will be one period of time each day that they will have to respect my need for quiet time. Will I get it? We'll see. Only need about 30 minutes a day. May have to let them know that Nannie isn't a nice person without her quiet "time out". LOL

Got a call from DD this morning. Her hubby had a call yesterday for a job he had applied for there. When he explained the situation, the lady said she had a really good friend at the company up here in this area. She called her friend and DSIL has an interview next week for a job at the office up here. Hopefully he will have a job waiting for him when he gets moved up here in August. He will be coming in next Wednesday to spend the night and go for the interview.

I read on line about how to test thyroid with a thermometer for 3 mornings in a row and average. I will start that in the morning. I did it this morning, but wasn't sure how long I did it. It says to leave thermometer under arm for 15 minutes then read to see what the temp is. If it is 97.5 or less your thyroid probably isn't functioning properly. My Daddy got the results of his blood work yesterday and the doc had to up his prescription. I have a lot of the symptoms chronic fatigue and some weakness at times, difficulty losing weight and gain easily, coarse dry hair, dry skin, irritability and sometimes experience muscle cramps. I'm thinking that I need to be taking thyroid meds although the regular test shows all is normal.

Well, I'm going to take a nap. Then I need to wash and get organized so I can start getting things ready for those moving in. I washed everything upstairs the last time the kids were here. I will have to go up and wax furniture and touch up the bathroom so it will be clean when DSIL comes up next week. I'm thinking the plan is for them to move in up here August 1, however, he gets hired with this job that could change and it could happen sooner.

carolr3639
06-30-2011, 07:32 PM
What an adventure, Trish! I'm still tired from the wedding and this weekend we go to Chicago for DIL's baby shower........she's due July 22nd.

carolr3639
06-30-2011, 10:40 PM
More from Yahoo news.

Over the past several decades Americans have steadily gotten fatter. Although our increasingly sedentary lifestyles are partly to blame, a big reason for our national weight gain is that we're simply eating more.

In the mid-2000s, government surveys show, the average American adult ate about 2,375 calories per day, nearly one-third more than he (or she) did in the late 1970s. What accounts for all those added calories?

According to a new study, the biggest single contributor to the sharp rise in calorie intake has been the number of snacks and meals people eat per day. Over the past 30-odd years, the study found, Americans have gone from consuming 3.8 snacks and meals per day to 4.9, on average—a 29 percent increase.

The average portion size has increased, too, but only by about 12 percent. And, surprisingly, the average number of calories per 1-gram serving of food (known as "energy density") actually declined slightly over that period, which suggests that calorie-rich food has played a relatively minor role in our expanding waistlines.

"The real reason we seem to be eating more [calories] is we're eating often," says the lead author of the study, Barry Popkin, Ph.D., a professor of nutrition at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "The frequency of eating is probably, for the average overweight adult, becoming a huge issue."

Popkin blames food advertising and other marketing for the shift from three square meals a day to near-constant eating.

"It's all about making people think they want to have something in their hands all the time," he says. "Why are we snacking all the time and munching all the time? [Food] is there, it's available all the time, it's tasty. It's not very healthy, but it's tasty. It's sweet, it's salty, it's fatty—it's all the things we love."

Lisa Young, Ph.D., an adjunct professor of nutrition at New York University and the author of The Portion Teller, agrees that the ubiquity of snack foods has helped drive overeating.

"You never used to see food staring you in the face when you went to…a drugstore," says Young, who was not involved in the new research. "It's in your face and it's cheap. You go get a magazine, you can get a candy bar."

To tease apart how eating habits have shaped calorie intake, Popkin and a coauthor analyzed data from four nationally representative food surveys conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention between 1977 and 2006. Their analysis, which appears in the June issue of the journal PLoS Medicine, was funded in part by the National Institutes of Health.

The findings weren't entirely unexpected. In a previous study, Popkin and his coauthor found that the amount of time between snacks and meals has shrunk substantially since 1977, while the amount of calories consumed from snacks has risen dramatically.

Christopher Gardner, PhD, the director of nutrition studies at Stanford University's Prevention Research Center, in Palo Alto, Calif., says that although the new findings ring true, the survey-based approach Popkin and his colleague used has some inherent limitations.

Despite being nationally representative, the surveys didn't follow the same individuals over time, and in some cases also used different questions and methods, Gardner points out. Moreover, they relied on the participants' memory of what they'd eaten in the previous 24 hours, which can be unreliable.

"When people try to describe the portion sizes they are consuming, they are often inaccurate," Gardner says, adding that similar inaccuracies may crop up when recalling and calculating the energy density of specific foods. In fact, he says, the number of meals and snacks may be easiest of all to remember and track, which may have somewhat exaggerated its importance to total calorie intake.

But Gardner, too, says that frequent—and often mindless—snacking has come to seem normal.

In our food-filled environment, Young says, "We need to be conscious of when we eat, how much we eat, and what we eat."

Young recommends sticking with three meals a day and choosing healthy snacks (such as fruits and vegetables) rather than processed foods. "And keep your portions in check," she says.

Truffle
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Carol, that article about portions and frequent eating is so true, at least in our house.

I know I've gotten into the very bad habit of using a snack as a "bridge" between activities, or as a quick break when I get stuck on a project I'm working on.

I don't think a lot of us pay attention any more to when we're REALLY hungry, and I think a lot of that comes from dieting.

Example: when I was in Weight Watchers and knew I was supposed to "eat all the food" for the day in order to lose. They didn't really say anything about eating if you were hungry. It just seemed like something people talked about a lot: make sure you eat ALL the food or you won't lose as well. (I was never able to stick with WW long enough at a time to learn whether that was true or not, but my mother told me it was.)

It's the same thing for water bottles or coffee drinks. Nowadays people don't go anywhere without their water bottle or coffee cup. It never used to be like that. When I was growing up, we never saw anybody carrying a cup or bottle of anything around with them. These days, nobody gives it a second thought. I even see people drinking coffee during church service!

I wonder what would happen if we went back to eating regular meals, and cut out nearly all of the snacking we do? Maybe we'd lose some weight almost effortlessly.

Truffle
07-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Trish, it sounds like it's going to be an adventure having your daughter and her family move in for awhile. What a blessing to get to enjoy your grandchildren right under your roof! I think they'll respect your quiet time.

I've been hypothyroid for over ten years now, and we STILL haven't gotten my thyroid replacement optimized. That's part of why I struggle so much with my weight, but at the same time, I know that a lot of people hear "thyroid problem" and think it's just an excuse for laziness in trying to get the weight off.

I hope you find some answers to your symptoms.

wife2abadge
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Ding! ding! ding! I think that is major for me. There's hunger and then there's hunger. I think we fall into the trap of thinking that we NEED to eat whenever we're hungry. However, I've found that if I don't snack, but wait til the next meal, it tastes sooo much better. "Hunger makes the best sauce", as they say.

Carol, that article about portions and frequent eating is so true, at least in our house.

I know I've gotten into the very bad habit of using a snack as a "bridge" between activities, or as a quick break when I get stuck on a project I'm working on.

I don't think a lot of us pay attention any more to when we're REALLY hungry, and I think a lot of that comes from dieting.

Example: when I was in Weight Watchers and knew I was supposed to "eat all the food" for the day in order to lose. They didn't really say anything about eating if you were hungry. It just seemed like something people talked about a lot: make sure you eat ALL the food or you won't lose as well. (I was never able to stick with WW long enough at a time to learn whether that was true or not, but my mother told me it was.)

It's the same thing for water bottles or coffee drinks. Nowadays people don't go anywhere without their water bottle or coffee cup. It never used to be like that. When I was growing up, we never saw anybody carrying a cup or bottle of anything around with them. These days, nobody gives it a second thought. I even see people drinking coffee during church service!

I wonder what would happen if we went back to eating regular meals, and cut out nearly all of the snacking we do? Maybe we'd lose some weight almost effortlessly.

carolr3639
07-01-2011, 05:53 PM
However, I've found that if I don't snack, but wait til the next meal, it tastes sooo much better. "Hunger makes the best sauce", as they say.

Amen to that!!!!

pattygirl63
07-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I also agree with the article. I think 3 meals a day most of the time probably is enough. Today I ate low carb the way I used to eat it when I was in Overeaters Anonymous. I had just 3 meals and so far I've been very satisfied.

Becky When I was in Weight Watchers, I had the problem of trying to eat all the food they said you had to eat. I would find myself eating things I wasn't hungry for just to get my points eaten. The problem was that the more I ate the more I wanted. I think it is because you end up thinking in terms of good foods/bad foods.

I really didn't plan to eat the way I did today, but it was more like South Beach but with more fat than SBD recommends. Strange thing is that I was totally satisfied with what I ate today, but I had absolutely no need of any snacks.

Our SIL will be here Wednesday for 2 nights. His interview for the new job is Thursday. Hope we will know Thursday if he got the job. If he gets it, he is supposed to start a couple of weeks after that get moved in here. If we find out that he gets the job before he leaves, DH and I plan to surprise him by taking him out to a nice restaurant to celebrate.

Y'all have a great 4th of July weekend. I'll be busy cleaning. It will really be nice when they get moved here so we can be together for the holidays.

carolr3639
07-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I've been doing walk away the pounds routine on youtube lately and I really enjoy it. I have to stay out of the sun so it's perfect for me. I do garden just before the sun goes down. Can't wait for those ripe tomatoes!!!!

Wannabehealthy
07-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi, ladies...

As the economy continues to go downhill, I think a lot more families are going to end up moving under one roof. We're just on the cutting edge of the trend, right? I wish you all well with it. I know the huge amounts of work it requires before family members can move in.

When I was a kid, in the 50's, it was not unusual for extended families to live under one roof. Many of my friends had grandparents living in their home, or their immediate family lived in the grandparent's home from the time the parents had married. Back then, the elderly didn't have the income that retired people have today with pensions, social security, 401Ks etc. Also, it was often medically necessary for the older persons to have family around. Most mother's didn't work, but took care of the kids and the older family members. The grandparents were able to help with some cooking, cleaning, and child care. It gave the kids a closer relationship with grandparents and a better respect and tolerance for the elderly. Now it is just so much easier to have the grandparents go into assisted living and visit them once a month or so.
Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Becky When I was in Weight Watchers, I had the problem of trying to eat all the food they said you had to eat. I would find myself eating things I wasn't hungry for just to get my points eaten. The problem was that the more I ate the more I wanted. I think it is because you end up thinking in terms of good foods/bad foods.

I was the opposite on WW. I usually had used all my points before dinner. I don't really know why that was. Maybe because I knew I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I counted the points. I was choosing foods with higher points values, and before I knew it, I had used them all up. Now I am eating most foods, but using portion control. I use Fitday, so when I do go over my desired calorie count I can easily see which foods I could avoid to get back to my calorie goal.

Carol

carolr3639
07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
:welcome2: Carol. Looking forward to hearing from you. I'm 62.

pattygirl63
07-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Hope I do this right as I don't want to break any rules. I got this article today from Living With Diabetes Everyday Health. I thought I would share it because it goes along with what Carolr shares with us about Mindful eating only this is about controlling Diabetes with Mindful Eating.

Controlling Type 2 Diabetes With Mindful Eating

Changing how you think about food can help you manage blood sugar levels, weight, and overall health.
By Diane Stresing
Medically reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH

Eating right is the key to managing type 2 diabetes. Good food choices are critical for people with diabetes who want to reduce their risks for heart disease, stroke, and other health problems caused by diabetes.

“When someone is diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, they often have a sense that eating and food are things to be conquered,” says Michelle May, MD, a board-certified family physician who practices in Phoenix. That feeling can seem overwhelming. In fact, says Dr. May, some people may eat before they are hungry, motivated by the fear of having hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. For better control of diabetes, May counsels her patients to employ mindful eating techniques, an approach to food that can help them manage their diets and their lives.

Mindful eating focuses on tuning in to one’s body to recognize basic hunger signals and notice early hypoglycemic symptoms, like feeling dizzy or shaky, and then eating with increased awareness — paying attention to every bite of food. “You have to be prepared to eat when you need to, to respond to your body’s signs,” says May.

Mindful Eating Ends Diabetes Diet Frustrations

May describes mindful eating as “eating with intention and attention.” Instead of thinking about “being good” or adhering to a diabetes diet, May says diabetes patients should be thinking about why, when, what, and how they eat.

A diabetes patient using mindful eating techniques may express intention as “I want to feel well,” “I want to be healthy,” or even “I want to enjoy the food at this party.” Mindful eaters pay attention to the eating experience by “being in the present moment and noticing how good the food tastes,” says May, “and [being aware that] as you eat, the enjoyment decreases as you get used to the flavors and become sated.” That’s your cue to stop eating.

Paying more attention to when, why, how, and what you eat sounds easy. But “many things can influence your choices and your awareness,” May warns. Among the most common distractions to avoid are eating while driving, eating while watching television, and focusing on cleaning your plate rather than on the food itself. Such habits, May says, not only distract people from what they’re eating, but also from the simple pleasure of eating.

Using mindful eating makes the food you eat much more satisfying. People who are keenly aware of what and how they are eating are “more likely to enjoy flavors and textures and the ambience of the eating experience,” May says, and they may also enjoy their lives more fully. “If you eat too much, you feel lethargic and regretful; if you eat the right amount, you feel energetic, content, and ready for your next activity,” she explains.

Mindful Eating in Practice

Mindful eating can help you successfully manage diabetes and get your weight under control, two problems that often go hand in hand. When you’re overweight, says mindful eating practitioner JoAnn Martin, 68, of Phoenix, all you think about is food — “what can I eat and when can I eat it?” With mindful eating, Martin learned how to get her food cues from her stomach rather than her head.

Martin is the mother of seven and had gained more weight after every pregnancy, peaking at 300 pounds. She has had diabetes for decades and started needing insulin injections in the early 1970s, eventually developing insulin resistance. “My sugar was so out of control,” says Martin, who realized that she had to lose weight to avoid risking her life.

After trying many other diets, Martin enrolled in May’s “Am I Hungry?” class, having heard about it through her health insurer. Though it took time for all the information she learned to register, eventually it clicked. By practicing mindful eating, Martin says, she was able to control what and how much she eats: “All of a sudden you get this little voice in your head that says ‘You can stop’ or ‘You’ve had enough.’”

Being conscious of when to put down the fork has enabled Martin to lose 60 pounds and get better control of her diabetes as well. As May explains, mindful eating can make you feel less like a slave to a diabetes diet and help you enjoy food in a healthy manner.

pattygirl63
07-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I've been doing walk away the pounds routine on youtube lately and I really enjoy it. I have to stay out of the sun so it's perfect for me. I do garden just before the sun goes down. Can't wait for those ripe tomatoes!!!!

I plan to set up a dvd player in my bedroom so I can do my walk away the pounds too. I want to get started exercising again and don't want to let the kids being here to give me an excuse for not doing it. Got to get a habit going. In fact, I used to do it 3 days a week, but I plan to start doing 5 days. Got to get this blood sugar under control and I think exercise is the key.

pattygirl63
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I was the opposite on WW. I usually had used all my points before dinner. I don't really know why that was. Maybe because I knew I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I counted the points. I was choosing foods with higher points values, and before I knew it, I had used them all up. Now I am eating most foods, but using portion control. I use Fitday, so when I do go over my desired calorie count I can easily see which foods I could avoid to get back to my calorie goal.

Carol

Hi Carol :welcome3: Glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you. I had that problem too with WW. When I had days that I ate foods with higher pts values, I would run out of pts and then be hungry. I tried eating the extra weekly pts but still ended up going over. I always felt like a failure.

carolr3639
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
That was a really good article about diabetes, Trish.:flow1::bravo::flow1:

Truffle
07-04-2011, 08:07 AM
I didn't know you could find Walk Away The Pounds on You Tube. Thanks for mentioning that. I've been wanting to try it, but didn't want to invest in them until I knew if it was something I'd continue.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

carolr3639
07-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Actually, the youtube one is my favorite.

pattygirl63
07-04-2011, 03:06 PM
We just hooked our new dvd player to our bedroom tv so I can do my exercises in there especially now the kids are moving here. I remembered you saying you exercise with the You Tube but couldn't remember what the exercise was. When I saw thousands of exercises on there, I gave up. Now I will know what to look for.

Y'all have a great 4th Everyone.

carolr3639
07-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Hot, lazy 4th of July....my DH is cutting hay!!!. Hoping for no rain for a couple days.

carolr3639
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
:wave: I know what you mean, Trish. When all the kids are here it is nearly impossible to exercise. But maybe taking care of everybody is exercise in and of itself!!!

carolr3639
07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Does anyone notice that after you eat you feel more energy?

carolr3639
07-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey CC, here we are!

TamTam
07-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Hello all silly me posted on IE #13 did not see IE#14! Carol, I find that I do much better with weight loss when I skip the diet drinks, I started drinking water with lemon at meals out and milk with meals at home, I was drinking lemonade, but now with having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I try and stay away from the sugary drinks.

carolr3639
07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
This morning I was doing the WATP DVD 3mi. and when I was done I was so tired. I took my bp and it was 92/60 with an average reading 111/68. I don't take bp meds anymore either, just a passionflower pill at night. I was wondering what was going on. I don't know much about bp and exercise.

Truffle
07-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Here's an interesting thread. Someone is tired of counting calories and wants to wean off that and go to something else. A few people talk about intuitive eating too.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/237478-waning-off-calorie-counting.html

carolr3639
07-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I read that too, Becky, but didn't think anyone was very positive about IE. Maybe I missed something.

carolr3639
07-08-2011, 07:47 PM
One thing I'm noticing about exercise is that it is making me hungry!!!

TamTam
07-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi all. Hope you all are doing well. Eating getting back to normal following our Market trip to Dallas, weighing in in the morning. Blood sugar was high this morning, know the cause, need to eat less starches at night. Hope you all have a blessed evening.

Truffle
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I read that too, Becky, but didn't think anyone was very positive about IE. Maybe I missed something.

I agree. That's probably what I found interesting, that several had negative reactions to IE.

carolr3639
07-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Day off from exercise today. Had 24 for supper last night and 15 this noon. It's hot and I'm beat!!!!

carolr3639
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I noticed after a couple weeks of longer exercise that my appetite has gone back to normal. I would like to read something about that.

ahyessophie
07-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I agree. That's probably what I found interesting, that several had negative reactions to IE.

I just came across this thread mentioning my post about getting away from calorie counting. I was a bit bothered by how many people shot it down and defended calorie counting. If the thread had been posted in 'Calorie Counters' sub-forum then maybe I could understand, but some seemed almost offended that I wasn't happy with the method. I was asking for advice but people kind of ignored that and just went on about how it was a dumb idea.

Have you all had much success with IE? In my eyes, it sounds like the most natural and maintainable way to go.

carolr3639
07-12-2011, 03:47 PM
:welcome2:ahyessophie. This is the only WOE that has ever worked for me and I'm 62. I lost from 195 down to 149 and have kept it there for a couple years. Today I went to McDonalds and got a happy meal. I can no longer eat a larger size. I also went to Culvers and got a mocha almond fudge kids cone and it wasn't really that good. My DH makes way better home made ice cream.

pattygirl63
07-12-2011, 08:08 PM
A quick flyby to let you know I am still here. SIL got the job he interviewed for last week in Charlotte and has to start training Aug 5th. This changes plans so that they will be moving in here in 2 weeks. So will be getting busier. Looks like DD may be attending nursing school in Charlotte starting in October. So DH and I will be babysitting the baby during the day and getting the other 3 to and from school. Life will be busy and interesting.

Went to the doctor today and waiting for report on thyroid tests. He agreed for me to up my Metformin to 2Xs a day. I tried starting Atkin's Induction but just can't do all that protein. I think I'll just be doing low carb and make it a point to eat no processed foods or starchy carbs.

Y'all have a good evening.

ahyessophie
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
carolr3639 - that's really encouraging to hear. Did you have much of a learning curve? How long did it take you to lose it?

carolr3639
07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
It was pretty slow but I've been on and off prednisone for a number of years. Been off for 2 years now. I guess when I finally decided that it didn't matter how long it took that I started losing. I could lose another 20 to be back to my weight before children, we have ten, but I am pretty content now. I just started doing WATP and maybe this will help. I do notice that my appetite got bigger when I started that.

carolr3639
07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Good to hear from you Trish. All my kids but one SIL were here for my youngest DD's wedding 2 weeks ago. There are now 35 in our immediate family.......kids, spouses, grandkids and DH and I.

pattygirl63
07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Carolr WOW! That is a lot of people. I've cooked for that many family members in the past but that was my sisters and their families and friends of their children coming in to eat besides my own kids and grands.

I got chairs changed out. I've got my list of things I want to do before the kids get here. DH kept some boxes from when we moved here so I hopefully I will have enough for the things I need to pack up. I have to go get a perm tomorrow and will stop by the store to pick up some newspapers for packing. I have church brunch Saturday morning and want to check into having the store deli make up a fruit platter for me to take. I think I'm going to try my hand at an egg dish to take as well. I found one for making individual muffin size fratta type thing, but I think I'll make mine more like a casserole and let everyone dish out as much as they want.

I listen to a thing I got through Everyday Health on what is called The Diet Solution by Isabel De Los Rios. I went on their website and listened and got a lot of good info about how to eat and not count calories. This is by a woman/dietician who hates counting calories. Her theory is that it isn't the amount of calories as much as the quality of the calories. I'm not interested in buying her book/s because they can only be purchased through her site and I only saw them sold as a set and I don't want to spend that much money for any more books. Besides I think I got the idea of how to do it and it seems very much IE friendly. Eat whole foods like meat, fruit, veggies etc don't eat processed foods with chemicals. I just found it interesting that she seemed to think that if we eat more like this we most likely would lose weight and keep it off.

Better get busy. Will check back in when I can. Have a good day.

Liliann
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Hello all!

I used to post on this topic,on and off..and come to terms on not counting calories,points,etc. I am a stay at home caregiver and most days deal with family stress and not think much about food so much. All I need to do is stay busy.

I am focus more on fitness and eat healthy, common sense eating when am hungry. Simple is that!! I am starting to get bored on eating cakes/candies..and do love my fruits!!

I also ditch my scale for awhile, was a daily weigher and was not getting anywhere, weight goes down and up cycle and decided on being patient.

This method will be good for me and will do my best on posting on here more.

Enjoy your evening..

carolr3639
07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
:welcome2: back Liliann. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Liliann
07-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Carol.. Thanks for the welcome and Thank you for keeping this thread going. Hoping more people will realize this method.

I weigh daily,and weighed this morning and will only weigh in once..and I lost 2 Lbs!! I noticed with this method, that I eat later in the mornings..usually eat around 7am. I wait and start eating my morning meal around 9-10 am.

I have Paul Mckenna book on quitting smoking, but end of the book, he has tips about eating when hungry and stop when being full. I am trying to go by the hunger scale and so far,,been satisfied.

Have a great day everyone!!

carolr3639
07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I am reading Leslie Sansone's book, Eat Smart, Walk Strong. She says, "If we ate only when we were really and truly hungry, and stopped eating when we were full, weight control would not be a problem."

Liliann
07-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I did not know Leslie Sanone has a book out..Have her walking videos..but that makes sense!

As I recall from past dieticans..they gave me a print out sheet of a hunger scale, and never gave my all.,,Always fallen into the "dieting game" mindset and last year recycled all my dieting books. The only 2 diet plans that I had been on was Richard Simmons Deal a meal back in the 80s and Slim Fast shakes in the 90s..but regained it back. I have to learn on not getting back into that dieting game world/mindset.

Enjoy your evening!

pattygirl63
07-15-2011, 02:18 AM
Liliann :welcome3: Glad to have you back. I lost weight on the Richard Simmon's Deal a Meal years ago but gained a lot of it back. I also lost weight on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet a few years ago, but got off in 2007 when we moved to SC and gained a lot of the weight back and been bouncing around since then.

Carolr I seem to remember seeing Leslie Sansone's book in Costco several months ago, but I have so many diet books I didn't get it. I totally agree with her. I am eating more low carb but not an actual diet. I'm not counting calories or carbs; just following the IE rules we learned long ago eat when hungry, eat what I really want and like, savor every bite and stop when I'm satisfied. Still having problem with knowing when to stop, I am only eating when hungry and I'm finding I am eating less.

One thing I'm doing too is that I don't eat breakfast until I'm ready. If I'm hungry I eat it, but if I'm not hungry when I first get up then my breakfast becomes brunch later in the morning. I may eat a full breakfast or I may just have fruit and coffee. I am happy to say that IE is suddenly working for me. I feel so free not to have any calorie or carb counting I no longer find myself at the end of each day with calories or carbs that I have to eat to get them into the date. The freedom I'm finding with IE is fantastic. I sure want to be a good example of IE to my grandkids when they come to live with us.

DD is going to work an extra Monday for her boss so her co-worker can have her vacation so they probably will be here 2 weeks from today. Gives a day or 2 more to get things done here. Amazing thing is I met a lady today at the beauty shop who is the music teacher in the elementary school my youngest GD will be attending. She is a very nice lady.

Guess I better head for bed. It is after 1 am. So I guess all those things I shared about the kids were for yesterday.

carolr3639
07-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I am happy to say that IE is suddenly working for me. I feel so free not to have any calorie or carb counting I no longer find myself at the end of each day with calories or carbs that I have to eat to get them into the date. The freedom I'm finding with IE is fantastic. I sure want to be a good example of IE to my grandkids when they come to live with us.

This is such good news.

Liliann
07-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Trish... Glad to hear IE is working for you!! Keep up the great work!! Thanks for the welcome!

carolr3639
07-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Did a 5 mile WATP before breakfast this morning. I think it is easier to do that way. I was less tired at the end.

Liliann
07-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Great job on the 5 WATP miles!,Carol..Great job!!

TamTam
07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
:welcome: Lilian!
Hubby and I had our weekly weigh in this morning. I am down 2 pounds and he is down 3/4 of a pound!

Have a blessed evening.

Liliann
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Great job CC and to your hubby..What a team work both of you doing!! Keep up the good work!!!

pattygirl63
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
I am actually eating more Atkins Induction right now although I didn't plan it. It just seems to be what I'm hungry for although I still only eat only when I feel hungry and I don't eat when I'm not hungry. I am absolutely amazed at how little I'm eating and how satisfied I feel. Just curious if anyone else eating IE has found that once they were free to eat what they wanted that they ended up eating the way they had tried eating when dieting. Low carb has so many benefits for diabetics or at least it does for me. I find it interesting that I struggled trying to get back to eating low carb, but when I decided to quit dieting and just eat what I want when hungry and only eat till satisfied that what I'm wanting to eat is low carb. I guess that proves that the body knows what it needs if we will just pay attention and listen.

TamTam
07-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Great job CC and to your hubby..What a team work both of you doing!! Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks Liliann. I saw in an earlier post you have the book on smoking by Paul Mckenna, I have his book and DVD set on losing weight, it's called I can Make you Thin, it is very good and very interesting, they both can be found on Amazon. Have a blessed day.
:hug:

TamTam
07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Ok, I am not computer smart. I went to my profile and browsed and thought I was adding a picture next to my name, can someone please either explain the process or tell me why my picture may not be showing? Thank you!

TamTam
07-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Never mind I figured it out!!!!!

TamTam
07-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi all. Went to my first diabetes education class today. Now I have to follow a diet which I have fought so hard not to have to follow a diet ever again. I have to keep a food diary for a week, something I never wanted to have to do again. Bummer. I think I can still do IE with the diet, I just need to keep an eye on the carbs. I think once I reach my goal weight I can go completely IE especially if I am off all meds and the glucose is normal and controlled. What do you think? Blessings. Tammy

pattygirl63
07-18-2011, 09:16 PM
CC Yes, I think that can be done. That is my goal. I mainly try to watch my carbs... seems to work best for me, but I still eat what I want when I want. While I seem to be doing Atkins IE style most of the time, I still eat what I want when I go out to eat. My goal is to lose the weight and ditch the meds. I did it once before and I believe I can do it again. I think the blessing of being Type 2 Diabetic is that when we lose the weight most of us will not have to worry with diabetic as long as we maintain the lost weight.

carolr3639
07-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Just back from seeing the new grandbaby, Ellee, 6 lb. Is she cute!!! And did we ever eat A LOT. ha!

Liliann
07-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Carol.. Good for you that you enjoyed your grandbaby..and had a nice visit.

CC...Wishing you luck on your efforts with diabetes classes.

I am doing good on my food choices..still doing my best on my hunger scale to be a 5 or 6 = statisfied. I am a fruit eater and I noticed whenever I do grocery shopping at my favorite supermarket, I don't buy any sweets for myself ,,which am proud of myself!! The scale is moving down on the right path and in September, will push myself more on my fitness regimen.

Have a great evening ladies!! Stay cool..Its brutal hot in my area..but do enjoy my summer weight loss!!

TamTam
07-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Hello all. Trish I am like you I want to get off these meds! Both my parents were type 2 diabetics, so it's in the genes, but they were both overweight also, sooo.....there is the hope that once the weight goes down so will the need for the meds.

CarolGlad you got to see the baby, what a blessing.

LiliannCongtats on making good choices. And if it's any comfort it's really hot here too!

Have a blessed evening all.

carolr3639
07-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Pounds lost so far.. 16 !!

Great news, Lillian!!

carolr3639
07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Pounds lost so far.. 20 !!

Wow!!!

Liliann
07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks carol!!

TamTam
07-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Morning all. Going to my second diabetes class today should be getting my diet plan from the dietician so it will be interesting to see what she has on it, I mainly know what to eat, it's just the carbs that I need to get a handle on. Have a blessed day. Tammy

carolr3639
07-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Well today I weighed 155. Will I ever stay under 150? And will I ever lose the last 25lb? I've been exercising for 2 mo. and I know the experts say you gain muscle but is that really true? I never seem to lose with exercise. But I started it for help with blood pressure and I enjoy it. I'm 5ft 4.5 in. so 130 would still be a little heavy but I can't imagine ever getting there. Actually, I don't feel too bad about it. I feel so much better than I used to that I hardly think about weight anymore.....only when I get on the scale. ha!

TamTam
07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Carol I think the most important thing is what you are doing, being conscious of your weight but NOT obsessing over it. Good for you for the exercise and weight loss.

I went to my diabetes class and really enjoyed it, of course it helps to know every one in the office and my fellow classmates. I learned a lot and now need to study and put it inot practice.

Liliann
07-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Carol...Great job with your fitness for 2 months!! That is excellent..and sorry the scale does not show results..Hoping soon the scale will show something..Keep it up with your fitness!!

I had gained back the whole 20 Lbs ,,the daily weigh ins does not work for me, since I deal with water weight. Last night had eaten so much ice cream and was eating from mouth hunger..and this morning, was the same.

I must stop when am full and not bloat feeling.I am not giving up on this method!!

I am also ditching my home scale and focus on how my body and clothes feel. I do get weighed at my medical doctor visit..which my upcoming visit is on October and according to thier digital scale..and my lastest visit..lost 20 Lbs...So am going to rely on that.

Hoping everyone is staying cool. Be well and enjoy your evening!:hug:

TamTam
07-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Good for you Liliann for not giving up. One IE group I was in suggested that we empty our houses of our trouble foods until we can have them and control at the same time. Makes sense. Have a blessed evening.

carolr3639
07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I am surprised that this time exercise is helping with things like gout and general aches and pains. I hope it continues. Lillian, keep up the good work. CC, let us know some of what you are learning about diabetes. It is finally raining here in WI and a little cooler. We had our first 2 cucumbers, lots of beans and zucchini. Can't wait for the tomatoes.

TamTam
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
I learned that in addition to your pancreas making glucose you live does it also, so when they put people like me on metformin it's to stop the liver from producing extra glucose. I learned that in addition to cholesterol blocking arteries glucose can do it too. I learned that our lipids are also affected by our glucose. Very informative how much glucose affects the body and it's proper functioning.

Liliann
07-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Hello Ladies...Hoping everyone is doing well.. I am doing good and have decided to use my home scale but on having a weekly weigh ins. My food choices is good,been eating plenty of fruits.

Its brutal heatwave still going on here..Can't wait for next week when its gets cooler,so I can start dancing. My sister had brought me an IPod last weekend and since the heatwave, could not dance. So am hoping Monday the weather gets cooler.

Enjoy your weekend ladies.. Be well.:hug:

TamTam
07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Hello Ladies...Hoping everyone is doing well.. I am doing good and have decided to use my home scale but on having a weekly weigh ins. My food choices is good,been eating plenty of fruits.

Its brutal heatwave still going on here..Can't wait for next week when its gets cooler,so I can start dancing. My sister had brought me an IPod last weekend and since the heatwave, could not dance. So am hoping Monday the weather gets cooler.

Enjoy your weekend ladies.. Be well.:hug:

When it gets cooler for you send some of it to me!!:D

carolr3639
07-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi CC. I thought the pancreas made insulin. Just wondering.

TamTam
07-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi CC. I thought the pancreas made insulin. Just wondering.

Yes Carol it does and so does the liver!

pattygirl63
07-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I learned that in addition to your pancreas making glucose you live does it also, so when they put people like me on metformin it's to stop the liver from producing extra glucose. I learned that in addition to cholesterol blocking arteries glucose can do it too. I learned that our lipids are also affected by our glucose. Very informative how much glucose affects the body and it's proper functioning.

I knew about the pancreas and the liver, but was not aware of the effect of the the cholesterol and lipids. It is interesting as to what all glucose affects or that affects glucose.

pattygirl63
07-23-2011, 10:27 PM
A quick flyby to say hello. Our kids will be here Wednesday and we are really working to get last minute things done. I am sooooo tired.

I'm studying Beth Moore's BS called Breaking Free. I realized this week that I have been so bound by diets since I was about 19 or 20 yrs old and I'm no better than I was when I started. In fact, all I did is gain more and more weight. I decided that I will no longer be under the bondage of diets. I say that because there are so many times that the thoughts hit my mind that I should be dieting. The amazing thing is that I am eating less than I have ever eaten when dieting and I am totally satisfied. I think the big change has been that I don't overeat to eat the amount of calories or carbs you need to eat to meet a daily quota of a diet. I eat only what I want and the amount it takes to satisfy me. I did gain weight and my blood sugar went up for a few days but both seems to be slowly but steadily coming down.

Hope everyone is doing well and y'all have a great weekend.

Liliann
07-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Just wanted to say won't be IE method and started calorie counting again. IE for me to much freedom and always making poor food choices. Last night ate so much junk .

Wishing you ladies much luck with IE..Take Care.:hug:

TamTam
07-24-2011, 02:11 PM
A quick flyby to say hello. Our kids will be here Wednesday and we are really working to get last minute things done. I am sooooo tired.

I'm studying Beth Moore's BS called Breaking Free. I realized this week that I have been so bound by diets since I was about 19 or 20 yrs old and I'm no better than I was when I started. In fact, all I did is gain more and more weight. I decided that I will no longer be under the bondage of diets. I say that because there are so many times that the thoughts hit my mind that I should be dieting. The amazing thing is that I am eating less than I have ever eaten when dieting and I am totally satisfied. I think the big change has been that I don't overeat to eat the amount of calories or carbs you need to eat to meet a daily quota of a diet. I eat only what I want and the amount it takes to satisfy me. I did gain weight and my blood sugar went up for a few days but both seems to be slowly but steadily coming down.

Hope everyone is doing well and y'all have a great weekend.

I like Beth Moore's books. I have not read all of them, but I really liked Praying God's Word will have to read Breaking Free. Good luck and God Bless.:hug:

carolr3639
07-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry to see you go Lillian. Not feeling too good yesterday but better today. Hi to all.

carolr3639
07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I thought it would be fun to post some of your favorite food ideas or recipes. Today I remembered how good vegetable sandwiches are. You just put any leftover veggies on you favorite bread. I use leftover zucchini and onions that we had yesterday for dinner. I put it on 12 grain bread and added a little barbeque sauce....yum!! Ate it with watermelon, banana, peach frosty and a little beans.

TamTam
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
1 pack orange flavored jello-sugar free
1/2 cup crushed pineapple-drained
cool whip

you make the jello add the pineapple (I usaully put in individual serving containers with lids to take to work) and when set top with cool whip.

It is really delish!!

carolr3639
07-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Here's the recipe for the fruit frosty. Two fruits should be frozen and one not. It helps to have a heavy duty blender but if you don't you might want to thaw all the fruits a little. It's just frozen banana, frozen watermelon, and peaches. It is just like a frosty only with fruit. No sugar needed.

carolr3639
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm getting so I don't care for summer. When it stays so hot for so long, I just don't feel like going anywhere. We always go to Bible study on Wed. night, worship on Sun. morning and gospel meeting Sun. night but other than that I'd just as soon stay home. Lots of gardening to do.....weeding, etc. and that is even hard to do when it is so hot, humid and no wind. I think we might get a little relief next week. Need to till and pick beans today but should really weed the front flowers. Did the back ones last night right before sundown. Eating is ok but I need to cook more veggies for those leftover veggie sandwiches that really hit the spot in this heat.

pattygirl63
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Carolr and CC The frosty and the jello dish sounds delicious. Especially for summertime eating. I forgot about veggie sandwiches.

The heat really does make me not want to cook. And sandwiches are easier as well as fruit. I've been really hungry for cheese toast and toast with almond butter on it. I had cinnamon toast with almond butter this morning for breakfast. Just too darn hot for anything else.

Haven't heard from kids except on FB. SIL wrote on FB that they were leaving today and would be spending the night in Jacksonville, FL and be here sometime late tomorrow evening. Really praying for their safety as they will be hitting a lot of rain along the way today, but I think it clears off somewhere along this side of SC line tomorrow and isn't supposed to rain again until Sunday. We need the rain though as it kind of cools things down. I can't believe how hot it has been in this country this summer. It almost takes your breath away it is so hot.

Still got those last minute things to do before they get here. Will have lots to do once they arrive. Just remembered that I've got clothes to put in the dryer so better run.

Y'all stay cool and have a good evening.

carolr3639
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Trish. It was supposed to rain here today but it went north and east just barely. Guess I better get the sprinklers going again. Sounds like you will be really busy for awhile with your family.

pattygirl63
07-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Just saw on FB that the kids are on the road again which means they will probably be here at least by 8 or 9 pm depending on how many times they have to stop. DD called early this morning just before 3 am. They were getting ready to stop for the night. DH told her for them to sleep in and leave when the motel says they have to checked out. It appears that is what they did. Hope they will come in tonight and get a good nights sleep and then start unloading in the morning. They have to have the uhaul truck back on Saturday. So they should have time to do that.

My eating is kind of helter-skelter. Not sure I'm eating healthy... just grabbing whatever. Got a big pot of spaghetti sauce simmering (youngest granddaughter's favorite) for when they get in. One thing about spaghetti sauce it will last a couple of days and if they get in too late to eat, it always taste better second day.

Carolr We did get rain about 20 minutes after DH mowed the lawn yesterday. It didn't last very long but we have been getting enough lately that the grass (mostly weeds) really looks nice and green without having to water.

Well got things to do before they get here. Hope everyone has a great hump day and staying cool. As you said yesterday Carolr the heat kind of keeps us from doing any more than we have to do. I really feel for those people who have to work in this heat.

carolr3639
07-27-2011, 02:56 PM
You won't believe it, Trish, it is 1 pm here and only 67 degrees! A front went through but we got very little rain.

pattygirl63
07-27-2011, 04:36 PM
That is great Carolr. I'm happy for you. It was supposed to cool off for a few days here, but it must have gone somewhere else. Now they say 95 to 98. Well, I complain because I remember when it was so cold I couldn't get warm and as my DIL says it isn't as hot here as it is on our soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan.

wife2abadge
07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
A favorite recipe of my family's:

Vegetarian Lentil Chili
Ingredients
4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (12 ounce) packages frozen chopped green peppers
1 (12 ounce) packages frozen chopped onions
2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
3 cups water
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
In a large pot, combine undrained tomatoes, rinsed and drained beans, 3 cups water, green peppers, onions, dry lentils, chili powder, and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1/8 tsp black pepper; heat through. Serve with cheese and tortilla chips, if desired.

carolr3639
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
as my DIL says it isn't as hot here as it is on our soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan.

Amen to that! Thanks for the recipe, Susan. I've always wanted a good recipe for lentils.

Wannabehealthy
07-28-2011, 07:37 AM
I thought it would be fun to post some of your favorite food ideas or recipes. Today I remembered how good vegetable sandwiches are. You just put any leftover veggies on you favorite bread. I use leftover zucchini and onions that we had yesterday for dinner. I put it on 12 grain bread and added a little barbeque sauce....yum!! Ate it with watermelon, banana, peach frosty and a little beans.

I saw a later reference to "vegetable sandwiches" and clicked back to see what it was all about. I do that, sort of. I use Pita bread. I cut it in half to make a pocket and stuff everything in there. A lot of my leftover vegetables go into the freezer to use for vegetable soup, but when I don't have leftover vegetables to use, I make a salad and stuff it in my Pita pocket, dressing and all. Sometimes I add a little tuna or pieces of hard boiled egg for protein. It makes a great summer lunch.

Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
One thing I'm noticing about exercise is that it is making me hungry!!!

Hi Carolr,

I have heard that if exercise makes you hungry, that means you are burning sugar instead of fat. Faster exercise burns sugar, slower exercise burns fat. Are you eating something before you exercise? Don't exercise right after a big meal, but don't exercise on an empty stomach. Exercise reduces my appetite. As much as I hate to get started, I feel exhilerated (sp?) afterwards.

Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-28-2011, 08:19 AM
I am actually eating more Atkins Induction right now although I didn't plan it. It just seems to be what I'm hungry for although I still only eat only when I feel hungry and I don't eat when I'm not hungry. I am absolutely amazed at how little I'm eating and how satisfied I feel. Just curious if anyone else eating IE has found that once they were free to eat what they wanted that they ended up eating the way they had tried eating when dieting. Low carb has so many benefits for diabetics or at least it does for me. I find it interesting that I struggled trying to get back to eating low carb, but when I decided to quit dieting and just eat what I want when hungry and only eat till satisfied that what I'm wanting to eat is low carb. I guess that proves that the body knows what it needs if we will just pay attention and listen.

Low carb is what works for me too and is the best plan for keeping my BS in line, but I have a hard time avoiding bread. Sometimes I will eat a healthy low carb meal, and when I'm finished I don't feel hungry, but I'm craving that piece of bread.

Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Well today I weighed 155. Will I ever stay under 150? And will I ever lose the last 25lb? I've been exercising for 2 mo. and I know the experts say you gain muscle but is that really true? I never seem to lose with exercise. But I started it for help with blood pressure and I enjoy it. I'm 5ft 4.5 in. so 130 would still be a little heavy but I can't imagine ever getting there. Actually, I don't feel too bad about it. I feel so much better than I used to that I hardly think about weight anymore.....only when I get on the scale. ha!

Carolr, I am 5'3 and would be very happy to get to 150! In my 20's and 30's I was in the 130's but I don't think I could get to that now, nor do I think it would be a healthy weight for me. I also don't lose from exercise. I do it for health reasons and have improved my blood pressure and lipids. It's not doing much for my BS, but my eating is the problem there.

Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Listening for the shout......
1 Thess. 4:16-17

I was intrigued with this and had to look it up!

After reading this thread I realize that I was doing IE without even knowin what it was. Or should I say, I have been attempting to do it. I do have a habit of snacking when I'm not actually hungry and sometimes it ruins my appetite for dinner. I'm trying to get that under control. I find that I enjoy my dinner a lot more when I don't snack after lunch. I enter my food in Fitday each day and look at the calorie count, but I can't say that I'm actually counting calories. I am just aware of my calorie limit for losing.

Carol

carolr3639
07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Carol, they say hunger is the best seasoning!!!

pattygirl63
07-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Didn't get the cool down. It is really unusually hot here. However, I think it is keeping me from being hungry. I'm more interested in drinking ice water which is probably suppressing the appetite. Any way, my FBS is back down below 115 and my weight has started coming down just naturally. I'm really not even dieting. I'm just eating when I am hungry and eating only what I need to eat to feel satisfied. Actually, eating like I did when I was a kid growing up. Automatic IE and it works.

Kids got here late Wednesday night. Far from being settled in. Still have to unload truck and figure out where we are going to put things and what we need to store from our house while they are here.

I hope everyone is doing well. I will check in again when I can. Y'all have a great Friday and weekend.

carolr3639
07-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Trish, so glad IE is working for you and, yes, I think the heat lessens the appetite. I love having central air though. We have only had it for the last 2 years out of 42 years of marriage.

TamTam
07-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello all. Just a quick check in. Doing well. VERY hot, no rain so far, but clouds would be nice, hubby tried cutting the grass but left ruts in the yard because it's so wet. Have a blessed day.

Wannabehealthy
07-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Didn't get the cool down. It is really unusually hot here. However, I think it is keeping me from being hungry. I'm more interested in drinking ice water which is probably suppressing the appetite. Any way, my FBS is back down below 115 and my weight has started coming down just naturally. I'm really not even dieting. I'm just eating when I am hungry and eating only what I need to eat to feel satisfied. Actually, eating like I did when I was a kid growing up. Automatic IE and it works.

Kids got here late Wednesday night. Far from being settled in. Still have to unload truck and figure out where we are going to put things and what we need to store from our house while they are here.

I hope everyone is doing well. I will check in again when I can. Y'all have a great Friday and weekend.

It's been an unusually hot summer here in W. PA, too. We usually have a few days in the high 80's followed by several in the 70's when we can turn the air conditioning off. It's been cranking steadily all summer. Whew!

Isn't it strange how kids know when they're done eating and won't eat another bite no matter what you do. My 3 YO grandson will ask for ice cream, candy, etc, but doesn't finish it...because he's just not really hungry. How does that change in adulthood? LOL

Carol

TamTam
07-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Weighed in this morning and am down another 1.5 pounds that makes 10 since June 9! I am following the diabetic guidlines given me by my dietician BUT I am pairing it with IE because it is better than just eating by the clock and I just eat when I am hungry and stop when approaching full, I am also learning just about how much it takes to get there so I am more diligen about not over measuring portion sizes. Have a blessed day.

carolr3639
07-30-2011, 01:33 PM
:flow1::bravo::flow1: CC, for the great loss!!

TamTam
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM
:flow1::bravo::flow1: CC, for the great loss!!

Thanks Carol!:hug:

pattygirl63
07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
I took the quiz on Michelle May, MD's website and I was amazed. There are 3 things Instinct Eating, Overeating and restrictive Eating thatshe tests you on. I was moderate on each one of them and it appears that I should be able to finally be successful at IE. This really thrills me to know that my old way of eating growing up which was similar to IE is still there and can be restored. I scored highest a 57 on Restrictiv Eating which is why I have developed the habit of yo-yo dieting. I just have to just keep working to break the habit of "diet thinking" and the "good/bad" food thinking. Also stop thinking being a good girl bad girl attitude thinking as well.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

Truffle
08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I took the quiz on Michelle May, MD's website and I was amazed. There are 3 things Instinct Eating, Overeating and restrictive Eating thatshe tests you on. I was moderate on each one of them and it appears that I should be able to finally be successful at IE. This really thrills me to know that my old way of eating growing up which was similar to IE is still there and can be restored. I scored highest a 57 on Restrictiv Eating which is why I have developed the habit of yo-yo dieting. I just have to just keep working to break the habit of "diet thinking" and the "good/bad" food thinking. Also stop thinking being a good girl bad girl attitude thinking as well.

Hi, Trish...This sounded intriguing, so I went and took the quiz too, but a report never got sent to me.

I scored:
Instinctive Eating 32
Overeating 57
Restrictive Eating 41

I don't know what those mean as far as my prospects for losing weight, but it was an interesting quiz to take.

We grew up eating when we were hungry, stopping naturally when we were full, and never really gave a thought to food when we weren't hungry. I never had a weight problem back then either. I was naturally thin, and didn't live driven by cravings.

My mother dieted (Weight Watchers) often, but we didn't need to.

It was my first failed diet attempt (Atkins) back in the late 70s, after I had my daughter, that got me hooked into the yo-yo diet cycle.

Now here I am, over 30 years, and over a hundred pounds gained, later, and still trying to figure out what to do with myself. :(

Truffle
08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I eventually got the report from the eating quiz, and it was pretty accurate for me.

I have a low tendency to eat instinctively, high tendency to overeat, and moderate tendency to eat restrictively. Also tend to struggle with yo-yo dieting.

"If your Overeating score is moderate to high, it is likely that you often eat when you're not hungry and/or continue to eat past the point of contentment. You may have a tendency to eat because of external cues such as mealtime, appetizing food, or socializing. You may eat to distract yourself or cope with stress and other emotions like loneliness, sadness, anger, or boredom. Because you often eat to entertain, distract, reward, or comfort yourself, you're more likely to choose tempting or comfort foods and less likely to choose foods based on what your body needs. You may eat mindlessly, quickly, or secretly. "~Michelle May

This is me, to a "T", so it looks like it's more important than ever to get out of the diet mentality, and really concentrate on paying attention to body cues, instead of someone else's rules.

Thanks for mentioning that quiz, Trish. Even though I've read most of the stuff on Michelle May's site, somehow I missed ever seeing that.

I hope you're all enjoying your Monday. It's hot and humid here in Vermont, but it's August now, so Fall can't be too far behind. :cp:

pattygirl63
08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Becky - They should have askd for you email address and sent you an explanation as to what each one of the things mean.

I didn't have a weight problem growing up either. Not until I went to college and my friends and I went to have shakes or cold drinks every night. And I had never eaten 3 meals a day until then either which didn't help me either. I was very active too, but I was eating way to many starchy carb (of course I didn't no a carb from a calorie back then, didn't need to). I was tired constantly and I'm sure that was from all the carbs as well.

Well, weight is going down right now mainly becaue I am sick with a cold. The baby came here with a cold and guess who got it with him? It is like a head cold. Misery city. Oh well, I keep telling myself that "this too will pass".

My mother ate very carby... candy, cake and cookies for years. I don't know when it caught up to her. When she started dieting, she took diet pills. When I gained weight, we would diet taking diet pills and then the day we had to go to the doctor, we would go get a big container of Church's chicken and pig out. LOL But we lost weight. That started the roller coaster of yo-yo dieting for me. I actually got down to 150 lbs twice, but of course I hadn't learned anything and gained it back when the diet was over.

I hope I can do better with IE.

pattygirl63
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I eventually got the report from the eating quiz, and it was pretty accurate for me.

I have a low tendency to eat instinctively, high tendency to overeat, and moderate tendency to eat restrictively. Also tend to struggle with yo-yo dieting.

"If your Overeating score is moderate to high, it is likely that you often eat when you're not hungry and/or continue to eat past the point of contentment. You may have a tendency to eat because of external cues such as mealtime, appetizing food, or socializing. You may eat to distract yourself or cope with stress and other emotions like loneliness, sadness, anger, or boredom. Because you often eat to entertain, distract, reward, or comfort yourself, you're more likely to choose tempting or comfort foods and less likely to choose foods based on what your body needs. You may eat mindlessly, quickly, or secretly. "~Michelle May

This is me, to a "T", so it looks like it's more important than ever to get out of the diet mentality, and really concentrate on paying attention to body cues, instead of someone else's rules.

Thanks for mentioning that quiz, Trish. Even though I've read most of the stuff on Michelle May's site, somehow I missed ever seeing that.

I hope you're all enjoying your Monday. It's hot and humid here in Vermont, but it's August now, so Fall can't be too far behind. :cp:

So glad you got it. I felt it hit me perfectly as well. I was strongerin the Overeating and Restrictive Eating and it was right on. I seem to try to eat what I want when I want it, but then if I eat something I consider a bad food then I feel guilty and think I need to diet. I think the reason it was as good as it is has to do with the fact that I've been working at IE for the last few years. It really made me feel like I can eventually be successful at doing IE and lose the weight naturally at the same time. I think that will be the key to me losing weight and keeping it off.

I would like to hear what Carolr's thoughts are on this since she is the one who has successfully done IE.

TamTam
08-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Hello Ladies. Just finished reading Eat What You love, love what you eat. Took the quiz awhile back. It is an interesting book, the only think I found with it is that she sort of wants you to overthink everything. I think IE should be simple and natural not ask myself 50 questions before I eat, while I am eating, anyway that's just my insight into the book.
Truffle with our humidity our temps today will be between 105-110!

carolr3639
08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
she sort of wants you to overthink everything. I think IE should be simple and natural not ask myself 50 questions before I eat, while I am eating, anyway that's just my insight into the book.

I've sort of given up on a lot of the IE newsletters that I used to get. They've all gotten so commercial.....wanting you to buy things. I didn't take the test. I still have trouble thinking good food, bad food each day. Like today. I was really hungry last night for a smoked sausage on bread but ate a stuffed pepper instead. The pepper was ok but not what I really wanted. I finally ate what I wanted today........so good. I've read that there is something about being satisfied with your choice that makes you eat less.

carolr3639
08-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Becky, so good to hear from you again. Still praying every day. I think one of the problems is we just need to eat less. I see this in so many people and even in myself at times. We can be satisfied with a lot less than we think. Be picky, too, like when you were a kid.

Truffle
08-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I've sort of given up on a lot of the IE newsletters that I used to get. They've all gotten so commercial.....wanting you to buy things. I didn't take the test. I still have trouble thinking good food, bad food each day. Like today. I was really hungry last night for a smoked sausage on bread but ate a stuffed pepper instead. The pepper was ok but not what I really wanted. I finally ate what I wanted today........so good. I've read that there is something about being satisfied with your choice that makes you eat less.

Hi, Carol...I hadn't thought of that, about the commercialization of all the newsletters, but I think you're right. Everybody wants you to buy their book, or join their website, etc.

I have a strange thing going on lately, and I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and my tastebuds are changing, or if the food is so much more inferior, or what, but I find many, many times now that I don't enjoy at all whatever I'm eating.

Produce from the supermarket is terrible. Tastes nothing like what it used to when we were growing up. (Of course, I grew up on a farm, so everything was right from the field to our table.) The only fruit that tastes half-way decent these days is bananas. We've even gotten a rotten watermelon this summer. Who's ever heard of that?

I haven't had a single peach or plum yet, had just ONE serving of strawberries before the season was over--and the heat has baked most of the raspberries in our own garden.

Veggies aren't much better--taste gross and flavorless from the store, but not always that much better from the garden.

I don't like meat, so tend to stick with hamburg when I do eat it.

If I bother taking the time to make old favorites, they just don't taste the same, and are not "satisfying".

Even my favorite junk foods or desserts don't do it for me any more. I'll think I'm having an overpowering craving for something, but once I go buy it and eat some, I realize it really wasn't what I wanted at all. Was pretty bland and flavorless most of the time, and I wonder why I wasted my money on it.

So if this is the case, that food isn't all that exciting or flavorful now, then why aren't I just ignoring it more often, instead of "eating around", trying to find just the right thing that will "hit the spot"?

I don't know the answer to this, but I think it has to do with the mechanism of eating, more than the food that I'm eating.

I've developed a bad habit of using eating something when I need to take a break, or as a "bridge" between activities, and maybe I need to concentrate on that and find something else to do instead of eating something at those times.

-----------------------
Thank you for your prayers, Carol. I really appreciate them. :hug:
-------------------------
Catholic Cajun, I don't know how you can stand it where you live. I know I would absolutely DIE in the South. It's going to be 90 or so here today, and that's way too hot for me. Can't stand to do anything in the house except sit behind the computer on days like that, and that isn't good. I love October! :coolsnow:
--------------------------
I was devastated when my daughter and her family moved to the other end of the country three years ago, but last week received word that they've decided to move back to Vermont, and they'll be staying with us for awhile until they find a place.

This is an answered prayer for me, and I can still hardly believe it's going to happen.

They'll be here in about three weeks, and I can't wait. :cb:

Truffle
08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Becky
I didn't have a weight problem growing up either. Not until I went to college and my friends and I went to have shakes or cold drinks every night. And I had never eaten 3 meals a day until then either which didn't help me either. I was very active too, but I was eating way to many starchy carb (of course I didn't no a carb from a calorie back then, didn't need to). I was tired constantly and I'm sure that was from all the carbs as well.

Well, weight is going down right now mainly becaue I am sick with a cold. The baby came here with a cold and guess who got it with him? It is like a head cold. Misery city. Oh well, I keep telling myself that "this too will pass".

My mother ate very carby... candy, cake and cookies for years. I don't know when it caught up to her. When she started dieting, she took diet pills. When I gained weight, we would diet taking diet pills and then the day we had to go to the doctor, we would go get a big container of Church's chicken and pig out. LOL But we lost weight. That started the roller coaster of yo-yo dieting for me. I actually got down to 150 lbs twice, but of course I hadn't learned anything and gained it back when the diet was over.

I hope I can do better with IE.

Trish, I hope you feel better soon. How miserable to be suffering from a cold during all this heat we're having this summer.

The last time I successfully lost weight, I was using Herbalife. It was around 1994, when they had the little "energy tablets" to take, and, boy, did those things work! I had more energy than I knew what to do with, and felt like I was zipping around doing something all the time. I could barely sit still. I was walking for at least one full hour every day, and would sometimes walk for two hours. Weight was just falling off me. I took off 50 pounds, and was at a "normal" weight.

Unfortunately, my thyroid chose to go on the fritz right after that, and I absolutely ZOOMED back up the scale before I received a hypothyroid diagnosis. Regained 40 pounds in the blink of any eye, and have been steadily packing more on since. :(

To this day I wonder if those Herbalife tablets had anything to do with my thyroid going on the fritz. I'll probably never know.

I'm glad you're experiencing some success with your weight loss. :sunny:

carolr3639
08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I have a strange thing going on lately, and I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and my tastebuds are changing, or if the food is so much more inferior, or what, but I find many, many times now that I don't enjoy at all whatever I'm eating.

This happens to me, too, quite often and then I realize that I am not letting myself get really hungry.

pattygirl63
08-01-2011, 07:40 PM

I did that today Carolr. I really wanted a buckwheat pancake when I got up, but decided that I should have protein instead so I ate scrambled eggs with veggies. Not what I wanted but it was okay. I wonder if we will ever get completely free of that bad food good food mentality.

carolr3639
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Buckwheat pancake sounds gooooooooooood!!!!

Truffle
08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi, ladies...In our house, I'm usually the one that "talks up" a diet, and gets my dh willing to follow it too. We usually fall off the wagon before the day is done.

We've done this for the last several years.

I think I shot myself in the foot though. I've been "talking up" dieting again the past few days, and dh has jumped right in. He's not eating any ice cream (his favorite), no soda, no junk food at all.

The problem is, I only talk up the dieting when I'm especially discouraged and depressed about my own weight. I start off the day with good intentions, but can't take the deprivation and trapped feelings, and blow it by eating some "junk".

This morning I went to the store to pick up a few things. A couple of the items were "junk", but I don't want to ruin dh's efforts because he doesn't want to eat any junk right now, so I feel like I have to HIDE the junk items I bought.

Hiding food is not good. Some of the books even say that we should always eat whatever our choice of food is out in the open, and not feel like we're "bad" for whatever we've happened to choose.

This is also part of the bad food/good food mentality we're supposed to be getting over.

Has anybody experienced anything similar in their own household?

carolr3639
08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
My dh loves junk and will eat ice cream for breakfast. He works very hard on the farm and so is not extremely overweight......about 30lb. He can lose that in 2 mo. if he sets his mind to it and he has done that. He once gave up coke for 2 yr. just to prove to my mom he wasn't addicted. ha! He eats lots of "good food", too.

carolr3639
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I got my first red tomato!! Yum!!!

Truffle
08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
My dh loves junk and will eat ice cream for breakfast. He works very hard on the farm and so is not extremely overweight......about 30lb. He can lose that in 2 mo. if he sets his mind to it and he has done that. He once gave up coke for 2 yr. just to prove to my mom he wasn't addicted. ha! He eats lots of "good food", too.

He sounds like my dh, Carol. My dh would eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he could.

My dh is retired, so he doesn't get a lot of exercise, but all he has to do is cut out the soda, and cut back on his portions, and he loses weight fast. (Grrr, ha ha!)

I got my first red tomato!! Yum!!!

I love it when the tomatoes start coming in. We had our first local tomatoes yesterday, and they were DEE-LISH. It's going to be awhile before the ones in our garden are ready. They are still very tiny.

Well, ladies, I had a real ambitious plan to take off ten pounds before my daughter gets here later this month. It was just an arbitrary---and completely UNREALISTIC goal.

It's just a little over two weeks now until she gets here, and not only have I not lost, but I've actually gone up a pound or two due to eating Doritos the last few days. Oh, and peanut M & M's. Not helpful.

I got up thinking I'd low carb today, then ate Pop Tarts for breakfast.

Have I not learned yet that diets do NOT work, especially for me? All they do is make me want to eat junk food. :(

carolr3639
08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Becky, if you look at faith based support groups there is a thread by a girl named Kelly....I think it is called the power of one thought. She has a book you can read for free online called Flowers Over the Wall. It is IE based.

carolr3639
08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I'll see if this link works. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/37300.

TamTam
08-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi all. Man it is so hot today!! Have been doing good with my eating.. Hubby and I got to do for a lunch date today, we went to Red Lobster, it's over an hour's drive from our house, I had the boiled crab, shrimp, wildrice, 1 biscuit, and salad. No dessert. Will eat light for supper, but we did have a really nice time.

carolr3639
08-03-2011, 07:49 PM
CC that sounds so good. We're about an hour away from Red Lobster, too. I'm a little disappointed that they grill all their lobster now instead of steaming it.

TamTam
08-03-2011, 07:58 PM
My hubby had the lobster. I like lobster but am not crazy about it. His lobster was also grilled. We don't eat there often, I think that was our 3rd time there in about as many years. We had been to the one in Biloxi but Hurricane Katrina wiped that one off the map. For my birthday on the 22nd of this month we are going to Baton Rouge (about 2.5 hours from the house) at Texas de Brazil.

carolr3639
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Texas Roadhouse is my favorite! Have you heard of it?

Wannabehealthy
08-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Texas Roadhouse is my favorite! Have you heard of it?

Texas Roadhouse is our favorite, too! DH get a steak every time, but there are so many things on their menu that I like. Right now I am really into their roast chicken. I don't know what they marinate it in, but it sure is tasty! I also like the Chicken Critters, Ribs, and Pulled Pork, although those choices aren't actually healthy.

Carol

Truffle
08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Becky, if you look at faith based support groups there is a thread by a girl named Kelly....I think it is called the power of one thought. She has a book you can read for free online called Flowers Over the Wall. It is IE based.

Thank you for this suggestion, and the link. I'll check it out.

I hope you're all enjoying the day. We've had a couple of fairly decent-temperature days here in Vermont, just getting into the low 80s. I'll take it.

Where my daughter lives, the "real feel" temperature was 116 at 9:30 pm a night or two ago! I would die.

carolr3639
08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
This is by Christie Inge.

Everything you need to know (and no one tells you) about intuitive eating.

I’ve been where you are – sick of feeling deprived and yet not really sure what the next step is in intuitive eating.

And I am here to tell you that you can get to your body’s natural weight without all the crazy making that normally goes along with losing weight. You can drop the shame, the deprivation, the restriction – the obsession.

You can overcome emotional eating, binge eating and compulsive overeating, too.
Intuitive Eating 101

Learning to eat intuitively can be an overwhelming process – as someone who has not only been there but also teaches people about the process, I’d like to offer you some of the most important aspects of the process. Unfortunately, it isn’t linear or cut and dry the way your typical diet is – it is a complex process with peaks, valleys and a ton of life lessons along the way. And so, rather than seeing these as rules you need to master – see them as intentions that ebb and flow. Be patient with the process and find the way that works for you.

We are taught to believe that we have to follow a rigid set of rules and that feels confusing with something doesn’t seem to resonate with you. Trust me, I know. I’ve been there and I know how important it is to keep experimenting until you find what feels right. And when that doesn’t feel right anymore – experiment some more. We are always changing and I don’t believe that there is any one right way to do do.

But, what I do believe is that you can have a healthy relationship with food and your body.

Start with Some Basics– Only time will tell what intuitive eating means to you. My philosophy is that you must 100% do what works for you – there are no rigid rules. But, there are some foundational principles that will give you an excellent place to start. Things like:
learning to eat when hungry
or stop eating when full
making peace with food

Self Care is the Most Important Care – As women, we have a tendency to put the needs of others first and this does not allow us to live life to our fullest potential. The only way to ever truly overcome an unhealthy relationship with food is to put your needs back at the top of the list. Start out small – perhaps just adding a short five minute time out for yourself when you get home from work. For many, this involves building assertiveness in relationships and standing up for yourself in situation where you haven’t before.

Never Stop Learning – I have been at this intuitive eating thing for over four years and along the way have learned that the most important thing is to keep learning from your experiences. Accept that this process is bumpy and sometimes, down right ugly. Try not to compare yourself to others, if you read enough of my history – you will see that I am just like you – only in a different place along the way. It doesn’t happen overnight but if you allow the process to happen naturally – it will be one amazing ride.

I can’t say it enough – the most important thing with this is hanging in there. Be ok with where you are and be open to the possibilities! I will leave you with my favorite quote about this process:

The shape of your body obeys the shape of your beliefs about love, value, possibility. To change your body, you must first understand that which is shaping it. – Geneen Roth

pattygirl63
08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Carolr Thanks for another great article. My IEing has taken hold now and it actually works. Eating like your diabetic friend's doctor told him to eat. My weight is coming off slowly but my fasting blood sugar reading is really good. So it proves that IE can work and be healthy.

House boarders are in process of settling in. It is difficult at times when you want privacy, but I've decided I am going to roll with it and not let any bad stuff get to me. I think it is time for me to learn something from it... patience if nothing else. We are supposed to get a little bit of relief from the heat this week. Very little. LOL

Hope everyone has a great week end.

carolr3639
08-06-2011, 06:06 PM
To this day I wonder if those Herbalife tablets had anything to do with my thyroid going on the fritz. I'll probably never know.

I wonder if there is a connection, too, Becky.

It is difficult at times when you want privacy, but I've decided I am going to roll with it and not let any bad stuff get to me. I think it is time for me to learn something from it... patience if nothing else.

I know what you mean, Trish. At the wedding this summer my room was used as a hair salon!! I had to get ready in my closet about ten minutes before the wedding. I'm not too fussy clothes or hair wise so it didn't really matter. ha!

carolr3639
08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
:bubbles::wave:

pattygirl63
08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
A busy day today. DH had to go for 3 month check up with the primary doc and also had to go for tests this afternoon ordered by the cardiologist to be sure there were no more clots and everything seems to be fine. Still have to wait until we see the cardiologist for the result of the echo.

FBS is doing very well and I'm doing very well. Weight is hung in one spot but hope it will go down more later. I'm still enjoying IE and having no problem with it. The doc and I decided to double my Metformin and it helps in 2 ways... curbs appetite and is supposed to keep the diabetes from getting any worse. So I'm not sure how much of my not being hungry much is the heat and how much is the medicine.

Hope everyone is having a good evening.

Truffle
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi, ladies...I had to come here to write today because I'm driving myself nuts with my yo-yo'ing.

Every morning my dh and I get up and "say" that we're either counting calorie or low carbing, then we blow it by about mid-morning. My heart just isn't in dieting of any kind, but I can't afford to gain another pound.

In a short-lived frenzy of motivation last week, I told my sisters I'd join them in another "serious weight loss attempt". We're not supposed to eat any junk, and we're supposed to exercise for ten minutes each day. I haven't followed that at all, except for the first day when I was all gung-ho about it.

It's just been TOO HOT this summer to do anything other than the basic necessities of life. I haven't gone for a walk at all, but, boy, do I ever need to start that back up.

When our dog was alive, I had a reason to get out every day and walk at least a little. He died in January, so I don't even have my little walking buddy to get me out the door.

In ten days, my daughter and her family will be here to move in with us, and I have a lot to do before then, but I have no energy to do it.

I need to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get busy.:kickbutt:

carolr3639
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Becky, for the last few months I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I find that Leslie Sansone is very inspiring and you don't have to think about the weather. One thing I noticed is that I haven't been taking near the pain meds that I used to. I like to do it twice a day if possible. It's fun!!!

carolr3639
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh, and Youtube has 2 fifteen minute walks for free.

Truffle
08-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Becky, for the last few months I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I find that Leslie Sansone is very inspiring and you don't have to think about the weather. One thing I noticed is that I haven't been taking near the pain meds that I used to. I like to do it twice a day if possible. It's fun!!!

Thanks, Carol! I went to You Tube and found one of the walks you were talking about.

I think I'll try it!

Truffle
08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Here's an excerpt from an interesting blog post I read this morning about diets and weight loss:

"Interesting too is the idea that given “permission” (I think the interviewer means a moratorium on dieting), people would naturally just get fat. I find that curious. We have the highest rates of obesity ever recorded, and also the highest rates of dieting.

Strikes me that one possibility is that the more people are taught to hand eating and physical movement decisions over to someone else, say Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, the greater the “obesity” problem has proven to be. With a 98% failure rate for diets, can you imagine buying such a product if it were a television or a car? Not hardly.

But with diets, we “blame the victim.” For clearly, if you stick with the plan, it does result in weight loss (usually). True enough. But no one can stick to an outside set of rules forever, and that is the requirement for permanent weight change."

The whole post can be found here (http://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2011/07/is-the-idea-of-health-at-every-size-just-permission-to-be-fat/).

carolr3639
08-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks Becky. Very interesting.

carolr3639
08-10-2011, 11:43 PM
OK, it's bedtime and you're a little hungry. Should you eat?

TamTam
08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks Becky. Very interesting.

I agree. Thanks Becky. Very interesting, would be interesting if they did a study on those who have successfully done IE and see what is their success rate of keeping it off.

Truffle
08-12-2011, 11:21 AM

I do, but then, I'm not a very good example! ;)

Truffle
08-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi, ladies...One week until my daughter and her family get here. I can't wait. :D

Here's something I realized after grocery shopping yesterday.

It's just dh and me at home now. We went and bought "healthy" groceries yesterday, lots of fresh foods.

The only problem is, now I feel like we have to hurry up and eat them so they don't go bad, but that means eating quite large amounts of stuff.

For instance, we bought a watermelon. It was one of those small seedless ones, but still, that's a lot of watermelon for two people.

We bought a package of spring mix greens for salads, but there again, the brand we prefer comes in packages that are way too big for two people, and it's kind of expensive, so I don't want to end up throwing a bunch of it on my compost pile.

I bought a large container of yogurt, because the price was cheaper than buying individual tubs, but that means that we have to eat it fast now, before it goes bad. In this case, the few cents we saved by buying the large tub--I think I'm going to go back to buying the individual tubs. At least it'll keep longer in the refrigerator.

I also find it a challenge to cook for just two people. I constantly make way more than we need. If possible, I always freeze the extra, but if it's something that won't freeze, there again, we feel like we have to eat a lot of it so we don't waste it.

Example: I made macaroni salad, way too much, but it won't freeze, so we'll need to eat extra large portions so it won't go bad.

Cooking less shouldn't be too hard though. I'll just have to pay attention to it more.

Once my daughter gets here, I should be able to share some things with her that come in packages too large for us.

Just some things I observed after shopping yesterday.

I hope you're all enjoying your Friday. It's beautiful here in Vermont today, sunny, but not too hot.

puneri
08-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I think you can freez watermelon juice...not sure though. You can use yogurt for marination and smoothi. Can you freeze smoothi?
On dr. Oz show, they said you can mix 2-3fruit bled them put some condiments,lemon if required, truvia etc and make cubes in ice trey. Then you can suck them whenever you are hungry...notbtried though

carolr3639
08-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I also find it a challenge to cook for just two people. I constantly make way more than we need.

After cooking for ten kids for years, I find this a challenge. Puneri, those ice cubes sound good. I have frozen fruit, including watermelon, for years to make smoothies...... my favorite is watermelon, banana, and peaches. Talk about buying in large quantities, my dh brought home a lug of peaches and I don't know how we will ever finish them. After freezing about 70 qt. of corn yesterday, I don't feel like freezing anything right now. ha!

TamTam
08-12-2011, 05:42 PM

I would not because I would have reflux and heartburn all night, and if I eat I will need to drink to wash it down and I already have to get up and potty a few times I would just take my Melatonin and go to bed and fall asleep.

Truffle
08-12-2011, 11:08 PM
We never make smoothies at our house--I don't know why. Just never occurs to us, I guess.

I didn't know you could freeze watermelon either. Do you just cut it in chunks and throw it in a freezer bag, or do you have to do something else to it too?

I'm waiting for the Amish peaches to come into the stores and farm stands around here. Those are always delicious.

Wow, Carol, that's a lot of corn to process in one day! I told my dh not to go crazy when he buys corn because I do NOT have the energy to deal with it this year. I usually freeze a bunch.

I love the homegrown taste in the middle of the winter, but we've got way too much going on here at the moment, trying to get ready for when my daughter and her family arrive.

If you get a spurt of energy, maybe you could make some peach pies and freeze them for later?

pattygirl63
08-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Well it has been 2 week since DD, her hubby and 4 children and dog moved in. We are beginning to get adjusted to each other. Quite different from when it was just DH and me. Kids start school next week and DD got her scholarship and financing approved and starts nursing school sometime in October. DSIL has finished his 1st weeks training on his new job. The baby wasn't real happy but now that we are feeding him more, he seems better satisfied.

Becky Does your DD have any children?

My eating has been pretty good. My fasting blood sugar is good so I am really pleased with that.

CC, Carolr, puneri and others :wave:

Hope y'all have a great weekend.

carolr3639
08-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I already have to get up and potty a few times
Me too.

TamTam
08-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Becky I understand, it's just hubby and I, we just have to buy in smaller quantities, it may be more expensive, but it is better than having to throw it out, which in the long run will end up costing more. We are lucky to live within 1 mile of a grocery store and one of my businesses is in the same shopping center as the store so we can go everyday if we have to. The only problem if companies make things geared to singles or couples is they go up on the price for the convienience (sp?) of buying smaller. Go figure!!

Truffle
08-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Trish, it's good to hear that you are all adjusting to being in one house together.

My daughter has four children (but two of them already live up here with their dad), FOUR DOGS, and two cats.

It'll be interesting trying to fit everyone and their stuff in here. We have a small house.

I can't wait to see them!

CC, yes, that is odd that companies charge more for smaller packages, but I guess it's been like that for a long time.

We live close to a grocery store too, but I find that the more I stay out of it, the more money I save, so I try to load up on what we need once a month, then see how long we can go between shopping trips.

TamTam
08-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Good for you Becky. We usually go to the store after church and maybe once during the week, it all depends on if we need anything. Have a blessed day all.

pattygirl63
08-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Becky My house is not really that small, but it is surprising how small it seemed to become when they got their stuff moved in. I think that was what made it hard for me at first because I felt the squeeze of having to move things around so they could move in. I am actually adjusting to it and decided that I am going to enjoy this time we have with them here and try to make a special thing for all of us. We have lived her for 5 years with no family near us and although it is cramped, we won't be alone without family and the grandbaby will get to know his Grandad and me. In fact, we think he is already starting to say Nanny in his little baby talk. He is starting to learn to repeat things I say to him. He can say "yes" which is unusual for a baby to learn before they learn the word "no". So it is going to be fun to watch him learn new things. I will probably be doing most of the taking care of him once his Mommy starts nursing school.

CatholicCajun When we lived in a country store, we always had to pay more for things for the convenience of getting it locally. Then things changed when Wal-Mart moved in because we didn't have to travel 45 miles to get things cheaper. When I would drive 45 miles to see my parents, I would go buy special things I wanted at Target and Wal-Mart and other stores before we got the Wal-Mart.

carolr3639
08-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Trish, How old is the baby?

carolr3639
08-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Interesting.

How much protein do you really need?

by Yahoo!Green, on Mon Aug 8, 2011 2:48pm PDT

By Sarah B. Weir and Lori Bongiorno
Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 2:04pm PDT More from Green Picks blog

Guess how much protein is in a juicy, 8-ounce cheeseburger washed down with a milkshake? This single meal contains two to three times as much as most people need per day.

It’s no great surprise that Americans chow down on a lot of protein. We love beef and consume about 67 pounds per capita annually (that’s four times the international average). The popularity of low-carb regimes such as Atkins has also made meat the go-to food for dieters.

In fact, the average person eats about double the amount of protein that their body requires, according to the results of 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
How to fulfill your daily protein requirement

The human body uses protein to repair damaged cells and to build new ones. Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition at NYU and author of What to Eat, estimates that the average adult man needs about 65 grams of protein a day and the average adult female needs about 55 grams. Some sources, such as the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization say you can maintain a healthy diet with even less.

What does this actually mean in terms of food choices? The National Institutes of Health explains that most people can meet their daily protein requirement by eating two to three small servings of a protein-rich food a day.

Examples of a single serving of protein include:

1 egg
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
2-3 ounces of red meat, poultry, or fish (about the size of a deck of cards)
½ cup of cooked dried beans such as black beans or chickpeas

Whole grains, seeds, and some vegetables also contain protein, so consuming enough is not difficult even if you don’t eat meat. Vegetarians and vegans can easily get what they need by balancing complimentary proteins such as corn and beans or rice and tofu. Nutritionists used to recommend combining foods at the same meal, but research now shows that is unnecessary.

Truffle
08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Becky My house is not really that small, but it is surprising how small it seemed to become when they got their stuff moved in. I think that was what made it hard for me at first because I felt the squeeze of having to move things around so they could move in. I am actually adjusting to it and decided that I am going to enjoy this time we have with them here and try to make a special thing for all of us. We have lived her for 5 years with no family near us and although it is cramped, we won't be alone without family and the grandbaby will get to know his Grandad and me. In fact, we think he is already starting to say Nanny in his little baby talk. He is starting to learn to repeat things I say to him. He can say "yes" which is unusual for a baby to learn before they learn the word "no". So it is going to be fun to watch him learn new things. I will probably be doing most of the taking care of him once his Mommy starts nursing school.

Trish, I'm glad the adjustment seems to be going well. What a BLESSING it is to be able to have the grandbaby so near for a time!

What you said is what I'm thinking for us too. After having them so far away for three years, I plan to ENJOY the time of having them here as much as possible, even though there will most likely be some challenges, due to space.

Truffle
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
How discouraging--I'm right back to my high starting weight again today.

I wish I could get a little traction, and get back on the losing path.

Some of this is my own fault though, because it's been hot, and I haven't been eating according to true hunger signals. I've even tried to (more or less) count calories for a few days, and thought I was doing well, but I'm not really.

Even if I do fine all day, I wreck everything at night by eating sugar cereal before bed.

Froot Loops, Lucky Charms, and Cocoa Pebbles have all been on the late-night snack menu this past week. I thought it was better than eating chocolate bars, but it doesn't seem to be. It's too easy to eat half a box of cereal when you're just snacking on it dry. :(

I think my major problem right now is that I'm SO big, I feel like I'll NEVER get any of this weight off. And then I feel somewhat ashamed, because I read on the other boards about people who have taken off nearly TWO HUNDRED pounds!

Hopefully I'll figure it out one of these days.

We're getting some much-needed rain here in Vermont today. I hope you're all enjoying your Monday. :D

carolr3639
08-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Becky, my weight has remained the same for quite awhile but I should be thankful for that I think. Flew to Boston today. Yesterday had to get up at 5am to be at the dentist for an emergency crown and up today at 2:45 am to catch a 7 am flight 2 hr. away. Had to drive to DS so he could drop us off so that made it a little farther. Visiting another DS and DIL for a week. I'm not much for traveling but four of my ten kids live pretty far.

Wannabehealthy
08-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I looked up "freezing watermelon" and it said to cut it up in chunks, put on a cookie sheet and freeze. After the chunks are frozen separately, put in a freezer bag and back into the freezer. It also said you could use a vacuum sealer if you have one. Several people commented and some said they tried it and the texture changed and it lost it's flavor. Then others said it was good. Others suggested putting the frozen chunks into a blender and making a sorbet.

Carol

TamTam
08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi all. It is so hot here! Hubby working outside, the heat does not get to him like it gets to me. Been doing ok with my eating. We both have check ups at the end of the month, me for blood work and I emailed his doctor and asked her to do a fasting glucose on him, I think he may have type II diabetes but won't even think about it so we will see what the blood work says. Have a blessed day.

GypsyLove
08-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new to IE but have been doing it for the past week and so far so good, I'm already down 7 pounds! I can't believe how easy this is to do compared to dieting. I love that I can eat what I want when I'm hungry. My mom doesn't get it though. She worries that I'm not eating when I say I'm not hungry around dinner time so it's a little frustrating. Oh well hopefully she'll get used to it. Talk to you all soon! :)

Kasey87
08-19-2011, 02:42 AM
Hey guys! I'm new to IE also. I just ordered the IE book and can't wait to read it! I've read a lot of the old threads, but haven't been able to get through everything. (There's tons!)

Do IE'ers typically not weigh? I like the idea of this, and just going by how I look, feel, and how clothes feel, or clothes sizes :/ It's kind of challenging to get out of that numbers mentality for me right now.

Honestly though, it would be a huge relief that I think I'm ready for.

Wannabehealthy
08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey guys! I'm new to IE also. I just ordered the IE book and can't wait to read it! I've read a lot of the old threads, but haven't been able to get through everything. (There's tons!)

Do IE'ers typically not weigh? I like the idea of this, and just going by how I look, feel, and how clothes feel, or clothes sizes :/ It's kind of challenging to get out of that numbers mentality for me right now.

Honestly though, it would be a huge relief that I think I'm ready for.

I just had to copy this phrase because it impressed me so much.

I'm going to reach my goal weight by Christmas of this year

It is noteworthy because you didn't say "I want to" or "I'm going to try"
It was a very positive statement!

I recently read a book called "Lose Weight Without Dieting" by David Nordmark(?) I'm not sure of his last name. It was a free e-book from Barnes and Noble and I deleted it when I finished it. Anyway, his contention is that eating when hungry and stopping when satisfied is what animals do in the wild. And they are naturally active....they don't have a set exercise routine. I have noticed that people who are naturally thin never give a thought to leaving half their food on their plate because they have satisfied their hunger.

Carol

carolr3639
08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Do IE'ers typically not weigh?
I wish I wouldn't. Doesn't really help me.

carolr3639
08-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I have noticed that people who are naturally thin never give a thought to leaving half their food on their plate because they have satisfied their hunger.

Why do people comment on what you eat? My dh does and I really need to ignore that.

Kasey87
08-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks slmn! I know it really is just a number but I liked my body so much around that weight and I felt so confident.

I want to get my close friends and family on board with this type of eating too. It would help with comments about food leftover.

Oh, I just realized u were both named Carol :)

So, how has everyone been doing with eating intuitively? Does it get easier as time goes on?

I'm still adjusting to it. I haven't weighed in almost a week but I can feel I've gained a couple lbs. I'm going out to eat tomorrow and I'm going to make a point to order a healthy veggie side and some fruit too (already checked out the menu online)

carolr3639
08-20-2011, 08:48 PM
We were in Rockport, Ma today and my dh was eating his way through shop after shop and we had already had pizza and ice cream for lunch. He just kept trying to get me to eat but I just couldn't.

TamTam
08-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Hello ladies! Welcome to our newbies!! Down another 1.4 pounds this week. Of course going eat at Texas de Brazil in Baton Rouge today, it's about 2.5 hours from our home, we are going celebrate my birthday today for tomorrow. Have a blessed day.

GypsyLove
08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Happy birthday CatholicCajun!

Wannabehealthy
08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Happy Birthday Catholic Cajun! I've lived in the NE all my life and I would just love to see Louisiana some day and sample their tasty cuisine!

Carol

carolr3639
08-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Back home again. Miss my kids already. Carol, that book sounds interesting.

Leonor
08-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Interesting concept. Personally I believe this is the only thing that will work long term unless you are one of the rare individuals who are super dedicated to counting every calorie ( or gr. of protein or whatever diet one followed).

I've lost the first 15 pounds by calorie counting. Guess that helped shrinking my stomach and get me used to smaller portions, the rest has come off not counting anything. The last pounds have been moving very slowly and might weight only changes by 1-2 pounds every 6-8 weeks. When it stagnates, exercising more always helps eventually.

It's been nearly a year and I rarely have cravings anymore and if I do, I usually have enough after a very small amount. Some things I can not eat at all anymore, they make me nauseous, like some candy bars with too much sugar, some restaurant food of poor quality, excessive grease or salt. I never eat salads and don't think I'm a health freak by any means. To illustrate what I mean, I can eat a burrito from chipotle, but taco bell would make me nauseous.

I've also been to therapy and it has helped with the emotional aspect of eating even though that wasn't the focus of my treatment.

Good luck everyone, I am convinced this is a good way to lose and maintain weight :)

carolr3639
08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
:welcome2: Leonor. Looks like you have done really well so far. We just went to Chipotle in Boston on vacation and dh shared a burrito with me. Very good. Post away.

TamTam
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Hello all. Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was truly a blessed day for me. I went in for blood work this morning, diabetes and all the usual tests, hope no increase on the diabetes meds.

Leonor-I unfortunately have to watch my carbs since in June I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, but I still eat only when hungry and stop when full, I just need to keep my carbs in check.

Praying for all those who will be affected by Hurricane Irene, we know, we've been there.

Have a blessed day.

pattygirl63
08-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi Everyone. Haven't been here lately. It is really busy taking care of grandkids. We are settling down and getting along well. Really enjoy the baby but it does make me really tired.

WELCOME Leonor Sounds like you are doing really great. Glad to have you here.

CatholicCajun I too pray for those will be affected by the hurricane.
When DH and I married we lived in FL close to Ft. Lauderdale. We had a lot of hurricanes after we married. In fact, Katrina hit us and then went over and hit New Orleans. And the really bad one for us was Wilma. Our electricity was out for a week or more. I heard the rain wasn't on the west side. I hope it stays that way however that may not mean that the islands won't get it. Wilma was so strong a storm that I hope I never have to go through one that strong again.

Carolr and others :wave:

Have a great week end everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. My eating and my blood sugar readings are pretty good. My scales seem to be going down very slowly, although my clothes are getting loose. So something must be going on.

Kasey87
08-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Trish- I remember Wilma (I live in FL)

It was crazy, luckily the worst we got was flooding and power loss. It was bad, don't get me wrong, but I feel we were spared a lot more damage.

I was in high school and I remember all the "hurricane parties" :) glad there were some good memories from it. Any excuse to party and we tried to make the best of it.

TamTam
08-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Weighed in Saturday down another 2.2 pounds.

We got hit hard by Katrina and Gustav. We were out of power for 3 weeks for Katrina, and it was HOT, we by the grace of GOd, had a generator so at least at night we could all sleep in the living room with a/c and fans, that was rough on my mom. But we survived.

Kasey87
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
CatholicCajun- congrats on the weight loss!!

I'm still staying steady with my weight, but I feel good. A lot more stable feeling eating this way.

carolr3639
08-29-2011, 12:37 PM
:flow1::flow1::bravo::flow1: CC. 14 qt. of beans and 24 qt. of tomatoes to can. Just hope I get the beans snapped and canned today.

carolr3639
08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Got 14 qt of beans done but still about 5 left to do tomorrow. This is what happens when you go on vacation!!!!

Truffle
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi, ladies...My daughter and her family have been here for a week now. They're still getting settled in, and things are kind of crazy here.

I think having them here is good for my weight--the kids are up and down all the time, seeing us, then going back downstairs to the apartment where they're staying.

I'm up and "doing" a lot more than I was, and have noticed this week that my eating has slowed down quite a bit. It's good to be so busy!

As of this morning, I'm once again down 6lbs from my highest weight, and am hoping to keep it going.

I lose VERY slowly, and yo-yo often, so I'm going to aim to get into the 270s by the end of this year.

It's starting to cool off just a bit, so I need to get myself out there to walk again. That will help too.

Hurricane Irene went through Vermont on Sunday. Where I live came through relatively unscathed, but the southern part of our state has been absolutely devastated by flooding. There are several towns that are now cut off from the rest of the state, with no way in, and no way out. So many roads and bridges--even our old covered bridges--have been washed away. It's been a strange year for weather, that's for sure.

carolr3639
08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
:flow1::congrat::flow1: Becky. Keep up the good work. It is good to keep busy.

TamTam
08-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello all. Just a quick check in. Hubby and I have doctor's appointments today at 11, check ups and going over my blood work. Will check in again later.

Kasey87
08-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Hello all! Been doing a lot better learning to eat this way, or re-learning I should say. I'm about halfway through the Intuitive Eating book right now and there's a lot of good information.

Since I'm new around here (couldn't read through all the old threads) I was wondering if anyone feels like they've reached their natural weight yet?

I would imagine this could take years for some if they have a significant amount to lose. But, it would be so worth it because it would be permanent this time versus yo-yo ing.

carolr3639
09-01-2011, 04:14 PM
CC, how did the dr. visit go?

carolr3639
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Just remembered something today because my dh is having and ice cream social at his office. He does it every 2 years. He loves homemade ice cream. Who doesn't? Well.....after we were first married 42 years ago we both worked at Baskin Robbins in college. I used to not eat all day because I knew I would be eating a lot of ice cream when I went to work. Is that IE or what????

Truffle
09-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Just remembered something today because my dh is having and ice cream social at his office. He does it every 2 years. He loves homemade ice cream. Who doesn't? Well.....after we were first married 42 years ago we both worked at Baskin Robbins in college. I used to not eat all day because I knew I would be eating a lot of ice cream when I went to work. Is that IE or what????

When I was much younger, and naturally thin, I worked in a donut shop, then a bakery, then at McDonald's.

Surrounded by food all day, every day, and could eat it if I wanted to, but it was amazing how uninterested in it I was.

I think something happens to our thinking, as well as our relationship to food, once we get fat and start dieting. Everything goes haywire.

If I worked in a bakery now, it would be a field of temptation.

GypsyLove
09-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi again everyone! So this past week was spent trying to lose my mom's birthday and hurricane Irene weight. When we lost power my family and the neightbors had a BBQ and cooked all the ribs, burgers, and sausage before it could all go bad. Also had to eat the ice cream too. Honestly I wasn't hungry at the time but I felt bad letting it all go to waste. I'm back on track now though. Mom's still bugging me about not eating constantly like the rest of the family does so I'm trying to ignore it. Take care everyone!

TamTam
09-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi again everyone! So this past week was spent trying to lose my mom's birthday and hurricane Irene weight. When we lost power my family and the neightbors had a BBQ and cooked all the ribs, burgers, and sausage before it could all go bad. Also had to eat the ice cream too. Honestly I wasn't hungry at the time but I felt bad letting it all go to waste. I'm back on track now though. Mom's still bugging me about not eating constantly like the rest of the family does so I'm trying to ignore it. Take care everyone!

We did the same thing after Hurricane Gustav. We boiled shrimp and then the neighbor cooked odds and ends not to lose her stuff and then we cooked a hurricane spaghetti, prego, noodles and ground meat. We had a generator and we alternated it with our freezer and refrigerator not to lose all our food.

TamTam
09-03-2011, 03:21 PM
We closed all 3 stores today. We have been having horrible weather due to Tropical Storm Lee, we chose not to open, so as not to put our workers at risk of being on the road in the horrible conditions. But, we still have power and I got to catch up on paperwork.

carolr3639
09-03-2011, 03:38 PM
But, we still have power and I got to catch up on paperwork.

That's good to know. Praying for you that it doesn't get any worse.

carolr3639
09-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Feels like fall here today, a good feeling!!

GypsyLove
09-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I can't wait for the fall weather to start here! I love fall. :)

Truffle
09-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Feels like fall here today, a good feeling!!

I wish it would hurry up and start feeling like fall here. It's been SO hot and humid the last few days.

When I was a little girl, on the first day of school we were able to wear our new outfits, which often included a sweater, or a long-sleeved dress or something.

Nowadays, it's still so hot in September, the kids have to wear shorts for most of the month, and the first day of school is usually in the mid to high 80s.

I used to say I can't wait for September. These days, I have to say I can't wait for October to get that cold, crisp air.

I've been staying very busy with the grandkids, and various projects to get them settled in and comfy here, and I'm still down six pounds, which is good for me

For September I'd like to break into the 280s, anywhere in the 280s.

I'd like to get out and start walking again too, once it's a little cooler.

Hope you all have an enjoyable Labor Day!

carolr3639
09-05-2011, 11:18 AM
:woohoo::woohoo: Keep up the good work, Becky.

TamTam
09-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Hello all. It has FINALLY stopped raining. Some of our flooded roads are now re-opening, we are still having strong winds. Have NOT been doing well with IE, locked up in house for 3 days, not used to having that much time off and eating out of boredom, not good. Going back to work tomorrow.

carolr3639
09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Sometimes I just can't decide WHAT to eat. I'll go along fine and everything tastes good and then NOTHING does. I know getting good and hungry helps but sometimes even that doesn't work.

Wannabehealthy
09-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Sometimes I just can't decide WHAT to eat. I'll go along fine and everything tastes good and then NOTHING does. I know getting good and hungry helps but sometimes even that doesn't work.

I'm finding it's bad for me to get too hungry. Sometimes I get busy and I don't notice that I'm getting hungry, and by then I'm famished. Yesterday, we were shopping. We both got hungry but I wanted to come home and cook some salmon I had. DH didn't want that so he stopped at Wendy's for some hamburgers to take home. I then decided that I was too hungry to wait until I cooked so I got a chicken sandwich. Although it's chicken, it's not really that good for you the way they prepare it. But it satisfied my hunger. I would really have preferred to have that salmon.

Truffle
09-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi, ladies...I'm now down seven pounds from my highest ever.

One more pound, and I will have taken off this year's gain, and gotten back to my New Year's Day 2011 starting weight.

There's still a few months to end the year with a net LOSS instead of a net gain, and I sure hope to do that.

I'm finding it very interesting that since my daughter and her family have come back, I don't feel as driven in my eating. I don't feel so "empty".

I don't know if it's because I'm so much more busy now, or if it's the comfort of having them close again for a little while...

carolr3639
09-07-2011, 05:38 PM
:cloud9: Looked all over for a praying icon but not there. Anyway, still praying for you dear Becky.

Truffle
09-08-2011, 10:26 AM
:cloud9: Looked all over for a praying icon but not there. Anyway, still praying for you dear Becky.

Thank you, Carol! :hug:

I use the weight tracker at PhysicsDiet.com because my weight varies a LOT during the week. My graph shows that I'm losing at the rate of about a half-pound per week.

Even though that's really, really slow, if I can keep it going, I'll be happy, and will eventually get there.

I've been having a strong grilled cheese sandwich craving for the last couple of weeks, and have been eating them regularly. They hit the spot.

Hope everyone is doing well today. :)

carolr3639
09-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I have been hungry lately at night when I go to bed. Sometimes I can't sleep for awhile. But when I wake up I'm not hungry. Strange.

wife2abadge
09-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Hunger does come and go. After a while, your body gives up for a bit, like it's saying "Well, I guess no food is coming right now". It always comes back eventually.

This is from Geneen Roth -- I thought it was worth posting:

Insight is great, but it's not enough. It's not enough. If we're hoping insight alone is going to do this - it's so good to remember this part, and it is so hard to remember this part because we are so impatient, and because we have this idea that because we WANT to change, that we SHOULD change just because we know how we want to change, we should be able to force ourselves into changing in that direction - insight is not enough.

What actions have you taken? What actions have you taken that have been different than the actions you took before? Because this needs to be acted upon. It's not going to happen magically or without a purposeful, directed sense of intention in your actions.

A lot of times, we think that using some kind of discipline or intention, and aligning ourselves with our intention and making a firm commitment to follow through on that intention, can feel like deprivation, or can feel too much like going on a diet and sticking to it no matter what. The thing about aligning yourself with your intention and following through on it is that it is not really a DOING as much as it is an UNDOING. It's an undoing of our habitual ways of being unconscious. What we're doing when we take an action and when we commit ourselves to that action is that we are going against our usual tendency to be unconscious.

When people would first listen to me during the first many years that I talked about eating what the body wanted, and eating when the body was hungry, and stopping when you had had enough, what they heard was "Yippee! Wahoo! A free for all! Just get me out of the prison I've been in with food"; a sort of supermarket sweep relationship to food - eat anything and everything in sight and don't stop. What that basically was was a continuation of what they were already doing, with a slight variation and interpretation of the guidelines "eat when hungry, stop when you've had enough, eat what your body wants". What most people heard me say was "eat what you want", which meant "eat everything". But I wasn't saying that. I was saying eat with awareness, eat with consciousness. Mostly what I was saying underneath all that was "let's begin turning around your habitual ways of eating which have been habitually unconscious". What we want to do is use consciousness, awareness and mindfulness in the actions we take.

What things have you actually done? If you've done just one thing on a daily basis, then there will be some degree of empowerment that you will start feeling - "Oh, I see, I'm not who I thought I was. I can begin to trust myself". If you're thinking that insight alone is going to do it, or if you wake up after deciding "I'm going to eat when I'm hungry", but you just don't feel like it, and that leads to the next day you don't feel like it, and the next day you don't feel like it, and you've forgotten what matters most: don't forget that the actions that you are taking are aligned with your heart, they are aligned with your heart's desire, which is to be free. And when you take action, when you do practices, that align with what you want the most, there is a daily remembrance that you are doing this to serve yourself, you are acting on your own behalf. You're not doing it because someone said so or because you will be bad if you don't, but out of love for yourself. The way with a child, when a child wants to eat candy all day: if you loved that child, you would say, "Sweetheart, you are going to feel sick afterwards. We aren't gong to do that right now". That's how it is with these actions and these practices. You take them on your own behalf, and when you don't want to do them, you remind yourself why you wanted to do them after all, and you keep going.

carolr3639
09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Seems like hunger can be complicated.

Hunger is a feeling experienced when one has a need to eat food. Hunger is different from appetite, the desire (rather than need) to eat food. Satiety is the absence of hunger. The often unpleasant feeling of hunger originates from the hypothalamus releasing hormones that target receptors in the liver. Although a healthy, well-nourished individual can survive for weeks without food intake,[1] the sensation of hunger typically manifests after only a few hours without eating and is generally considered to be unpleasant.

Hunger is also the most commonly used term to describe the social condition of people who suffer from a chronic lack of sufficient food and constantly or frequently experience the physical sensation of hunger.

1 Hunger pangs
2 Biological mechanisms
3 Behavioral response
4 Similar cravings
5 See also
6 References

[edit] Hunger pangs

When hunger contractions start to occur in the stomach, they are informally referred to as hunger pangs. Hunger pangs usually do not begin until 12 to 24 hours after the last ingestion of food. A single hunger contraction lasts about 30 seconds, and pangs continue for around 30–45 minutes, then hunger subsides for around 30–150 minutes.[2] Individual contractions are separated at first, but are almost continuous after a certain amount of time.[2] Emotional states (anger, joy etc.) may inhibit hunger contractions.[2] Levels of hunger are increased by lower blood sugar levels, and are higher in diabetics.[2] They reach their greatest intensity in 3 to 4 days and may weaken in the succeeding days[citation needed], although research suggests that hunger never disappears.[3] Hunger contractions are most intense in young, healthy people who have high degrees of gastrointestinal tonus. Periods between contractions increase with old age.[2]
[edit] Biological mechanisms

The fluctuation of leptin and ghrelin hormone levels results in the motivation of an organism to consume food. When an organism eats, adipocytes trigger the release of leptin into the body. Increasing levels of leptin result in a reduction of one's motivation to eat.[4] After hours of non-consumption, leptin levels drop significantly. These low levels of leptin cause the release of a secondary hormone, ghrelin, which in turn reinitiates the feeling of hunger.

Some studies have suggested that an increased production of ghrelin may enhance appetite evoked by the sight of food, while an increase in stress may also influence the hormone's production.[5] These findings may help to explain why hunger can prevail even in stressful situations.
[edit] Behavioral response

Hunger appears to increase activity and movement in many animals - for example, an experiment on spiders showed increased activity and predation in starved spiders, resulting in larger weight gain.[6] This pattern is seen in many animals, including humans while sleeping.[7] It even occurs in rats with their cerebral cortex or stomachs completely removed.[8] Increased activity on hamster wheels occurred when rats were deprived not only of food, but also water or B vitamins such as thiamine.[9] This response may increase the animal's chance of finding food, though it has also been speculated the reaction relieves pressure on the home population.[7]
[edit] Similar cravings

A food craving is an intense desire to consume a specific food, as opposed to general hunger. Similarly, thirst is the craving for fluids. Withdrawal craving is a "hunger" for administering addictive drugs.

Wannabehealthy
09-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I have been hungry lately at night when I go to bed. Sometimes I can't sleep for awhile. But when I wake up I'm not hungry. Strange.

I am the same way, Carol. I think by the time you wake up your stomach gave up! LOL Actually, you get a better nights sleep if you go to bed with an empty stomach. Your body is not trying to digest food when it should be resting.

carolr3639
09-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I wish I could do that every night but my DH wants me to eat supper with him. Last night I had a flu bug so didn't eat for which I was so thankful. I slept good . That happened to me awhile ago and I went ahead and ate. Boy did I pay all night with cramps.

carolr3639
09-12-2011, 11:07 PM
:wave:

carolr3639
09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/dr-oz-shares-the-top-weight-loss-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them-2550314/

TamTam
09-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Hello all. We have been on vacation in Gulf Shores, just got back home. Will catch up later.

Wannabehealthy
09-19-2011, 10:46 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/dr-oz-shares-the-top-weight-loss-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them-2550314/

When I clicked on this my computer froze up. I don't know if it was just my computer. Did anyone else have any problems?

Hmmm, now I clicked on "submit reply" and nothing happened. Must be my computer!

carolr3639
09-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Did you ever get it to work? I went to bed hungry, woke up in the night hungry and woke up in the morning hungry, maybe because I didn't eat supper, ha? For breakfast I had toast, peanut butter and fruit and I'm still hungry. But I think hunger is way better than stuffed. I hate that nauseous feeling from being stuffed.

Wannabehealthy
09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Did you ever get it to work? I went to bed hungry, woke up in the night hungry and woke up in the morning hungry, maybe because I didn't eat supper, ha? For breakfast I had toast, peanut butter and fruit and I'm still hungry. But I think hunger is way better than stuffed. I hate that nauseous feeling from being stuffed.

I know if I go to bed hungry it will help me lose weight, but somehow I always end up eating something so I'm not hungry. I hate the feeling of being stuffed, but I end up doing it anyway. I think I eat too fast and I don't get the "full" sensation in time and end up stuffed.

carolr3639
09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Well, Carol, I went to bed hungry night before last and I was starving all day yesterday. I ate a lot, too. Today is much better....toast peanut butter and fruit for bk, happy meal for lunch, and chips and pico for supper......Dh is out and don't feel like cooking.

Wannabehealthy
09-21-2011, 08:35 AM

No Carolr, I did not get the link to work but I found out what the problem was. This time I didn't click out when it froze. I got a message that my Adobe needed to be updated to 10.3. I have 9. I clicked the link to update, but then got a message that there was a problem with the download. I did this twice. I will have to check further and find out how to update it.

Ok. Found the download. Got it downloaded, and the link now works! Good video! Thanks!

carolr3639
09-21-2011, 07:31 PM
You're welcome. Getting cooler here but seems like next week it will warm up again. The cold weather munchies have come around again. UGH

carolr3639
09-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Finally started reading Beyond Chocolate. You can get a copy for $4 on Amazon. It's pretty good so far.

Truffle
09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi, ladies...Things seem to be very quiet here again.

I'm still rolling along, experiencing my one week of losing during a month, then the rest either gaining or staying the same.

I'm several years post-menopause, but still get the up and down weight, cravings, and bloat I always did, which is weird.

Anyway, I went up a couple pounds this time around, but not as much as usual, and should be due for a drop any time now.

I ran across a new book called "Wheat Belly", which is all about the bad things that modern wheat does to us, and thought this morning I might try cutting out all wheat to see what would happen.

But the only thing that happened was it made me feel slight panic, the way contemplating "diets" always does, so I immediately cancelled the plan to take out wheat, and went and made a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.

At this point, being too "diet-y" kicks the cravings into full gear. I need to stay away from that.

We still haven't had much cool weather here yet. I'm eagerly waiting for it.

Happy First Day of Fall! :balloons:

carolr3639
09-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Becky, I wish you could get the book Beyond Chocolate. I am surprised that it is so warm there. It froze in places close to here. It has been very pleasant since. I love the flowers in the fall.

Wannabehealthy
09-24-2011, 10:31 AM
I ran across a new book called "Wheat Belly", which is all about the bad things that modern wheat does to us, and thought this morning I might try cutting out all wheat to see what would happen.

But the only thing that happened was it made me feel slight panic, the way contemplating "diets" always does, so I immediately cancelled the plan to take out wheat, and went and made a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.

Happy First Day of Fall! :balloons:

Truffle, that is what happens to me when I first start a low carb program. Carbs which include bread, turn to glucose faster than proteins and fat. When you exclude them, your body panics because it feel as if it's not going to get any glucose. But the other foods turn to glucose more slowly, and after a while that feeling disipates. It is still a hard program to stick with if you really like your bread, like I do.

carolr3639
09-24-2011, 06:21 PM
It is still a hard program to stick with if you really like your bread, like I do.

The nice thing about IE is that some foods start to lose their magnetism. I still like bread but I might go a few days without it not even realizing it. I used to love Cadbury with almonds but there is one on the counter with only 2 square missing after a couple days.

Wannabehealthy
09-25-2011, 10:54 AM
The nice thing about IE is that some foods start to lose their magnetism. I still like bread but I might go a few days without it not even realizing it. I used to love Cadbury with almonds but there is one on the counter with only 2 square missing after a couple days.

I can do that with a candy bar, but only if I wrap it up and put it away between bites. If it is sitting out it attracts my attention. I find that eating a candy bar one bite a day does not effect my blood sugar much and I can enjoy one of my lifelong favorites.

carolr3639
09-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I can do that with a candy bar, but only if I wrap it up and put it away between bites.

That's a good idea. The book I'm reading says if you want something to eat and are not really hungry to wait one minute and see how you feel then. Repeat.

carolr3639
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Babysitting our grandkids today. Took them to Walmart. It's been a long time since I did that.

Wannabehealthy
09-27-2011, 09:41 AM
That's a good idea. The book I'm reading says if you want something to eat and are not really hungry to wait one minute and see how you feel then. Repeat.

I have heard that too, but I think you were supposed to wait longer than one minute. LOL Either way, I think they are saying that if you wait, you will realize that you are not hungry and don't need to eat that item right now. When I was working, there were a group of us in the office who had a "donut club". Each Friday we took turns bringing in a dozen donuts. At one point in time I went on a diet. I would take my donut, but I would set it on my desk wrapped in plastic wrap. Most of the time I didn't eat it, but it was there if I wanted it. The fact that I could have it if I wanted it made it easier to say "No". Know what I mean? Sometimes it's knowing that you can't have something that makes it more desireable. My donut never went to waste. Once I got through knowing I wasn't going to eat it, I gave it to a guy I worked with. He knew what I was doing and he always encouraged me to pass on it. LOL It was beneficial to him!

TamTam
09-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Hello ladies! Have not had much time on the computer since vacation. We have been really busy getting the shops ready for Christmas. My eating is ok, and as usual it could be better. Will catch up later. Have a blessed day.

carolr3639
09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
The fact that I could have it if I wanted it made it easier to say "No". Know what I mean? Sometimes it's knowing that you can't have something that makes it more desireable. My donut never went to waste. Once I got through knowing I wasn't going to eat it, I gave it to a guy I worked with. He knew what I was doing and he always encouraged me to pass on it. LOL It was beneficial to him!

Amazing!

carolr3639
09-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Baby sitting the grandkids again yesterday and when we got home the computer was still checking for viruses. I think my dh saw it finished late last night but I forgot to ask him what happened. There was something wrong I know that. Not as hungry lately. My dd is almost through her divorce. So sad. She has a girl 4 and a boy almost 2. She is a nurse and has a good job.

Wannabehealthy
09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Baby sitting the grandkids again yesterday and when we got home the computer was still checking for viruses. I think my dh saw it finished late last night but I forgot to ask him what happened. There was something wrong I know that. Not as hungry lately. My dd is almost through her divorce. So sad. She has a girl 4 and a boy almost 2. She is a nurse and has a good job.

Carolr, divorces are such a sad thing, especially when there are children involved. Luckily she has a good job. Money isn't everything, but it sure helps when you've got bills to be paid. I hope everything goes well for her and her children.

carolr3639
09-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Carol. I was hungry the other day 2 hr. after lunch and was trying to remember where I read about that. I found it!! It is in Naturally Thin by Eating More by Jean Antonello, page 52. Maybe I'll post it here some time.

Wannabehealthy
10-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Carol. I was hungry the other day 2 hr. after lunch and was trying to remember where I read about that. I found it!! It is in Naturally Thin by Eating More by Jean Antonello, page 52. Maybe I'll post it here some time.

Do you have that book? Is it helpful for you?

carolr3639
10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I do have that book and it is a good one but she labels foods such as pleasure foods and limits their use.

pattygirl63
10-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I was here last. I see some familiar ones from another thread here. I have been getting back on a plan and doing pretty well. I'm counting calories for portion control/ideas, but actually eating whatever I want. It seems to be working when it comes to getting my blood sugar level down. Much more pleasurable to eat what I like.

Carolr - You are right about how foods we seem to really think we want lose their flare after a while. I got on a chip and dip kick for a while. I've still got the Velveeta cheese in the fridge and need to find a recipe to use it in since I no longer have a desire for chips with it. That seems to happen a lot with foods. Now that Tony's DD and her family live here they get a lot of the foods I get tired of when they are foods they'll eat. Sorry about your DD divorce. So hard on the children. Sure glad your daughter has a good job. Although Tony's DD has worked in the medical field for so many years, she is going to nursing school now so she can get her license and make more money. They told her at the school that with the economy like it is nursing or some medical field is the best job to have right now.

Truffle, Slmn, CC and others reading :wave:

Will try to check in more often. Have a great evening.

carolr3639
10-05-2011, 09:40 PM
In NE right now. Not much time to post. Sorry.

carolr3639
10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Well here I am again. ha Had the flu yesterday and still not hungry this noon. I'm sure hunger will be back soon as most of the symptoms are gone.

Wannabehealthy
10-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Well here I am again. ha Had the flu yesterday and still not hungry this noon. I'm sure hunger will be back soon as most of the symptoms are gone.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. That's a nice thing when you're sick and lose your appetite. At least you get a little jump on your weight loss. It's a terrible way to do it, but you take what you can get. Ha Ha

Visionary
10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
First...GO STEELERS!!!!! I'm a big fan...die hard Steeler Fan too, originally from Pittsburgh!

I am about 10 days eating IF and I don't think I will ever not IF. It sounds so much harder than it actually is. I also notice I have so many health benefits as well as I can clearly see and have a better awareness of the bad habits I had, such as eating way too much at night for no reason but habit!

It just amazes me that so many "professionals" say to eat all these meals all day long. As a "former" diabetic...that is what made me feel worse and sicker. In fact, the Dr. kept giving me MORE drugs. Now I am off all of them. Really amazing.

I am soooo thankful for finding IF because of this board!:carrot:

TamTam
10-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Morning all. I am so sporatic in the times I get to go on the computer. I am posting before I head out to Church and then to work.

Visionary Glad you found this board also. Good for you for getting off your meds, that is the goal my hubby and I are trying for. We have both been recently been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, we have high blood pressure, and a few other medical problems, but we are going to get this weight off so we can get off these meds. I weighed in this morning and have a 1.9 pound loss.

Have a blessed day. Tammy

carolr3639
10-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Home again. Wonderful!!! I think visionary is mixing up IE with IF.......intermittent fasting where you only have a certain time that you eat say five hours.

carolr3639
10-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I've been doing the walk away the pounds videos and does it ever help with things like aches and pains and blood pressure. Exercise never really helped me lose weight but finally I am seeing other perks.

banananutmuffin
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi all! Mind if I join this thread?

I've never tried IE before because the idea of eating what I wanted scared me. I mostly have tried to eat clean in the past, but I hate traditional clean foods (chicken breasts, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc.). So I always ended up putting off my "diet" or cheating within a day or two.

Then it occurred to me: I will never lose weight eating a diet of foods I don't like!

I enjoy food way too much to give up my favorites, so I've started thinking IE might work for me. I do have a tendency to eat from boredom/stress/habit. I also way supersize portions. So I expect I have some real learning to do about this lifestyle, and it's going to take a period of adjustment.

Nonetheless, I figure it's worth a shot. Today I am just going to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.

One question: Since the rule seems to be to only eat when you're hungry, what do you do when you have a family and you want to eat dinner at the same time? What if you're not hungry at that time? Do you just not eat with the family?

carolr3639
10-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I think you can eat with your family. You just have to time it right. Sometimes I will eat just a couple of bites to stave off hunger so I can eat with the family. My dh always wants to eat together but sometimes he's busy so I eat at other times. We had ten kids and it's just he and I now. Sometimes when I'm not hungry and there are lots of people for dinner, I'll just put a little of each thing on my plate and no one notices.

pattygirl63
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I think I need to come back to IE myself. I haven't done very well with trying to diet so maybe I should go back to eating only when hungry and stopping when I'm satisfied. I think I am like banananutmuffin says, I'm never going to lose weight eating diet foods I don't really like or care for. So if y'all don't mind, I would like to come back to the IE thread.

I go for my fasting blood work to be drawn tomorrow and really dread it as I don't think I've done very well for the past 3 months. Too much stress since the kids moved in. Lot of things going on which really isn't anyone's fault, but I think I've been turning to food for comfort. Dumb move, I know, but it is done so now I have to pay the fiddler. I don't think dieting is going to ever help me. I find myself eating what I think I need to eat and then I go back and eventually eat what I wanted to start with. So why not just eat what I want to start with and eat less food.

I see the doctor next week and hope to already have a good week of IE started by then.

Carolr Good advice about eating with family. I've done that especially when I go to church functions. I get a bite or 2 of just the foods I like and I find that everyone is so busy enjoying their food they don't notice what I'm eating or not eating. I am able to visit with everyone and enjoy the food I eat. I also do that when we go out to eat... we like buffets. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I find it very easy to choose a little bit of the foods I like. I end up eating one plate of food and usually send hubby to get the dessert I want because he won't cut a big piece and I don't get tempted by other sweets.

Sure makes me wonder why I keep going back to diets... WILL I EVER LEARN???:?:

Thanks for listening to my ranting.