Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Default Afraid of Weighing In

This is going to sound nuts but I am terrified of the scale. I weighed a couple days ago with clothes on in the evening when I knew I would be heavier and a day before TOM began. It's almost like I wanted to be disappointed with the number. And of course, I was. Anyway, I should have weighed this morning but I am terrified of being disappointed again. My clothes are looser, I have been (basically) on plan to lose 1-1.5lbs a week. There's nothing to really be scared of but I am so worried about being disappointed. This is so irrational it seems. I will get on there this Friday morning (my usual weigh-in day). I don't know if anyone else goes through this?? And not just when you feel you've screwed up but even when you feel you've done well??
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #2  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

You are not alone...but don't be too scared! The scale is there to track poundage, but your clothes are also a very good determinant of how much weight you are losing. Have you thought about weighing bi-weekly or monthly if you feel that weekly weigh-ins will be too much stress for you?
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #3  

I think I am going to have to do the once-a-month thing or every other week. Because I have had so many meltdowns with the scale and that's when I give up. So I think seeing larger losses over larger periods of time is going to be better for my mental health. By the way Emme - I love your quote about it all being hard. I have already discussed it with a few people I know who are also on this weight loss journey
Old 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #4  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'9"

For the most part I can tell if I'm going to be heavier or lighter than the day before. Even if it's 5 lbs. If I'm not feeling very skinny(lighter) and know that I'm not going to like the number, I don't weigh-in. Other mornings I'll wake up and feel light as a feather, so I'll get excited to see what the scale reads. Even if it's not a significant loss, I still won't be down on myself, because at least I feel great. That's what is most important.
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #5  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
I love your quote about it all being hard. I have already discussed it with a few people I know who are also on this weight loss journey
It's so true...it helps get me through some rough patches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesNV View Post
For the most part I can tell if I'm going to be heavier or lighter than the day before. Even if it's 5 lbs. If I'm not feeling very skinny(lighter) and know that I'm not going to like the number, I don't weigh-in. Other mornings I'll wake up and feel light as a feather, so I'll get excited to see what the scale reads. Even if it's not a significant loss, I still won't be down on myself, because at least I feel great. That's what is most important.
Glad I'm not the only one like this...there are days when I am excited to get on the scale because I just feel super light. And other days I honestly do just feel full and heavy and know what the scale is going to read.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #6  
Results>Reasons

Exactly! And I DEFINITELY don't weigh myself during that time of the month. Talk about a bloated mess!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 381/327/175

Height: 5'10"

Default ...

I am not on any formal "diet program" so I don't have regular "weigh-in" days, but the scale has always been my enemy. Even when I went to WW and had an "excellent week" the scale would sometimes reflect no loss, or even a gain. I would dread every weigh-in. Of course, I'd be happy when a loss was reflected - but I always went thru pre-weigh-in jitters.

My current life-style is to eat sensibly and use portion control. Most of the time I make "wise" choices, and sometimes I do eat KFC, Chinese food or pizza - but sensible portions. No longer do I fee guilt because I'm no longer on a diet. I went almost a year without stepping on a scale, and when I went to my PCP a few weeks ago I learned I had lost over 50 pounds. And I don't plan on stepping on a scale again for several months.

It seems when we're "on a diet" our mind is always on food -- we obsess over it. I don't anymore. My new manta is "Don't Worry - Be Happy!!

But remember, the scale does not tell the whole story. You're obviously losing inches so you're doing well! Try not to let the scale rule your life!

Mary
noregrets4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Just remember that Mary above here is the exception to the rule. Most of us become obese because we don't step on the scale. It's awesome she has lost 50 pounds by sensible eating, but I know for me, and many others who started in the 300+ range, "sensible eating" and no scales is a recipe for weight gain. My stop eating button is broken, and without some sort of a healthy DIET to follow, I'd be back to 333 pounds or more in no time.

Anyway, I was never afraid to step on the scale when I knew I was 100% on plan, (which was 99.9% of the time during my losing stage). I only weighed once a week and actually looked forward to it. I only had 2 different weigh-ins were I didn't lose something. I had no plateaus, so I might be an exception to the rule as well. Weighing is important, helps gauge our success, but we can't let it run our lives either. Just suck it up, step on, record the number, step off, and put it away again for another week.

Now that I am in maintaince, I weigh every morning. And like others have said, I pretty much know what my weight is going to be just by how I feel.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-27-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #9  

Thanks to all. I need to face the demon. And that I will
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #10  
Results>Reasons

Don't look at it as a demon...more like a tool of science. I always nochallantly tell myself (if the # is higher) "Oh, okay, so I won't eat that food again.. or that much again"

It's like you're using the scale as a way to learn how your body reacts in accordance with the food, and ways of eating, you're practicing. Sometimes I chuckle at myself if the number is a few ounces/pounds higher the next morning like "oops...maybe I made those french fries a little too salty and ate too much"...but I just move on and avoid the fries next time around...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

I have had a really rough week & have been eating a LOT & have totally not been working out. I feel like I am putting on weight so there is no way I'm getting on the scale.

Stress = why I get fat
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #12  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

Height: 5'6"

Keep weighing in, maybe weekly rather than daily...whatever works for you. But don't get too caught up in the numbers. Weight loss is often in a zigzag rather than a straight line.

Main thing is that your eating is now controlled, whereas before you took control, you were no doubt eating really badly. This is a huge accomplishment and weight is just a rough gauge of where we are at. Sounds like you are doing very well.

Over time, you will trend down. You will get there. Try not to be too hard on yourself if one day you have a bit of a gain. As others have said, you can make small adjustments in your intake if need be. But the body does its own thing and isn't a machine that complies with an expected reading.
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #13  

I so appreciate everyone's advice and support!

Lori Bell - this is why I regained 40 of the 50 lbs I lost. Because I didn't weigh myself at ALL.

I need to find a balance between weighing to gauge progress and set backs and also not becoming obsessed with the scale.

This is a process for sure but I am counting on this being the last time and maintaining once I reach goal.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #14  
Restricting my way down..

S/C/G: 213/ticker/160now150!

Height: 5'4"

Good luck!

I haven't been on the scale in years (except at the doctor's office 1ce/year) but now I've been on it twice. In the past I have also relied on clothes either getting smaller or bigger.

It's a necessary evil. Get on once a week, note, get off, kick it back into the closet.
ScottieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #15  

Thanks.. I weighed in and was down a lb this morning. TOM is still here so perhaps by Friday, there will be a little more gone.