Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #1  

Default Good news...I recently received a kidney transplant....bad news...I'm on prednisone!

I can't even begin to tell you how a stranger has changed by life by being an organ donor. I recently had a kidney transplant and I haven't felt this good in years!!

I hate to even say its "bad news" that I am on prednisone because I'm on it for a good reason.

That is why I sought out this forum. I'm starting to gain weight and just can't stop eating! I'm also starting to feel sluggish from the sudden weight gain.

I'm hoping to find support from others who may be in the same situation that I am!
AndiSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on getting a transplant! Bummer about the prednisone - will you have to be on it forever, or just for a while? I have no advice, but I'm sure other people on here will. Welcome to 3FC!
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #3  

Yep, for the rest of my life but if I didn't get the kidney, my life would not be as long!!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #4  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Getting the kidney definitely sounds like a good trade-off.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hmm..i have a friend on that and she too has the munchies all the time... I think the key for you is going to be moving more and eating healthier things..Aka..when you get hungry..fill your body with good stuff..not junky stuff..think low calorie healthy foods..and exercise but dont push yourself too hard!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #6  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I was on prednisone basically all year in 2010 due to asthma. I'm not trying to get you down but I will be honest. I gained at least 40 pounds, I quit looking at the scale every time I went to the hospital and though I was already big, the doctors never commented about how much i was gaining, I'd ***** and whine and they just said it's normal and there was nothing else that could be given to me at the time.

Now, the thing that I learned near the end was not only did I eat a lot but I had A LOT more energy to work out. Living with prednisone is doable, and especially if you start early. So good for you! I'd really get into a good normal work out routine, drop as many sugars as you can handle (for the rest fo your life) I'm not saying all, I am saying try to limit it. Drink a whole bunch of water, stay away from extra pointless calories such as cokes. And exercise hard- you'll be surprised what you can do when on prednisone. I got to where my 250lb? (Not sure how big I was but I was up there) self was running on an elliptical machine 45 minutes in the am and 1 hour at night and then going for a walk until I felt like stopping.

Think of it as a bit more food that you can use for a bit more energy on top of the pills. If you do plan to use that energy and work out more be sure you are eating enough calories. I wish I'd known what it would do to my body. Really, just try to eat as healthy as you can, things you like and don't deprive yourself. You have a lifetime to perfect it.

Congrats on the kidney, that is an amazing thing. And, since you are searching for ways to deal with prednisone for a lifetime at the start I am sure you'll find ways to be healthier/continue being healthy. If not, unfortunately the weight will pile on.

When on prednisone water is the best thing imo, other than healthy foods. A lot of the bloat you see or will see or could see is just fluid. That is why you'll need a bunch of water and minimum salt. I got the "moon face" really bad.

Of course, talk to your doctor about any changes you want to implement, I bet he or she will give you some good advice as well. I am not a professional it's just what i learned being on prednisone.

Here is a site with some tips
http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...ng-prednisone/

Here is a page on 3fc about it as well
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diet...ight-loss.html

Don't get discouraged- Prednisone is a double edged sword. And I'm glad you are on it, because it means something good happened for you. Tweak meals, watch what you drink and what you eat.

Apparently, low carb seems to work for many, low carb and water. Cutting sodas is amazing period- but it's really amazing for people on prednisone that's just an extra ton of calories that we don't need!

Good luck and good for you taking action at the start of the problem!

The best thing you can do is research it and really buckle down. The weight gain is something horrid when you aren't paying attention to how fast it can come on.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

Andisue, I'm glad you're feeling so great! Congrats on your kidney transplant! My sister and I just celebrated our 4 year kidney transplant anniversary on June 13th! My sister was on Prednisone for months while she was on dialysis and before surgery, I'm not 100% sure if she is still on it although I know she takes many medications (for the rest of her life) Prednisone may be one of them. That being said, since the transplant she is the healthiest she has ever been. She eats healthy and lives in the mountians where she hikes with her dog nearly everyday. I know weight gain from Prednisone stinks, my sister was very upset about that side affect, but she is happy, healthy, and doing everything she can to stay that way. Congrats once agian.
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #8  
wants to walk away 200lbs

S/C/G: 350 -last time I found a scale

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3FC. I am new here too.
fatgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! One good thing is that I am not a pop drinker. I've always drank a lot of water. I'm not sure if its the prednisone or one of the other meds I take, but all I crave is sweets now.

I've been eating a lot of graham crackers; i figured its better than cookies! And yes, I have lots and lots of energy!! But I've been using that energy to bake cookies and pies! Plus I've been home for six weeks and I've been watching all those food shows. Luckily I'm going back to work in about two weeks. That should help keep my mind off eating!

Vixxi, congrats to you and your sister! I'm happy to have made it six weeks. I can't imagine how happy I'll be in four years!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

AndiSue, wonderful news ! Sounds like you are getting some good advice from those who have the same experience as you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote