Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 08:14 PM   #1  

Question Wls

Hi! Let me tell you how I picked my user name. Once, during the many times my friends and I have tried to lose weight, we were joining Weight Watchers. When a thin person asked my best friend how she was losing weight, she told them. Of course, the girl who was thin already said, oh maybe I'll come with you, who do you go with. My best friend said, "Oh I go with Patty or one of my other fat people." So, we always joke around and talk about our friends as our fat people. Therefore, when I say that I am one of our fat people, I mean that I am a friend (who just happens to be un-thin!)
Any way, one of my fat people told me to check out this website for more info on WLS. I have an appt with a bariatric surgeon on Feb 11. I went to the nutrition class yesterday and it kinda scared me. However, I am happy to read what you guys post because you all seem pretty pleased with WLS.

What I want to know is this... is there anyone who has regretted having gastric bypass? I am 31 years old and hope to live a long life... will I enjoy it if I can't eat?

Please respond.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:52 PM   #2  

Dear One of our Phat people

I can't call someone fat....I could, I suppose, call you fluffy????!!!!! Listen, I think, phat, means cool....but then again, I am old and usually don't know what I am talking about!

But I got a kick out of your name anyway!

So.....I guess I have not given you much info yet have I?

Well, never fear, other smart chicks will come along and help. I am only in the thinking and supposing stage of the weight loss surgery BUT I do know that I have thought about whether or not I am going to miss my food. I need to get over it though!!!!

I do know that my real life sister Jiff does seem to be enjoying her food and her life and she has lost about 250 pounds and is doing fabulously well. Debkay too!

So, I just wanted to say, Hello and welcome!

peach
Old 01-10-2003, 09:13 PM   #3  

Default phat is better!

Omigosh! I wish I had thought to spell it that way, myself... maybe I'll see if I can change my username.

I don't feel funny or bad at all about calling myself fat... I believe that if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then you can bet that it IS a duck... so fat is fat.

My students at school are so cute! You know they think it is insulting and horrific to call someone fat so they are always telling me how thin I am! Well, I weigh 285 lbs! I am not a duck, but I am certainly not thin either!

Anyway, I like phat instead of fat. Thanks for the news about your sis. She does enjoy eating? That is one of my biggest pleasures in life. With three young sons, we don't have a lot of money, time, or energy for entertainment... so we eat!

Is there anybody else out there?
Old 01-10-2003, 09:25 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Default well hi there phat one!!!

yes. it's me, peachie's real sister. and i'm struggling to type. i slammed my left index finger in the car door and nearly ripped off the tip!!! the wrap flew off, too. it HURTS!!!!!

i've lost 258 pounds, 161 since the rny on january 29 2002. the first 3 months were miserable, but they passed. fortunately. i threw up a couple of times a day for a month.

and now, things are much better, much more settled, in more ways than one.

food still tastes good, but i have absolutely no interest in cooking [is that soooo bad????] maybe it would be a problem if i had a family to cook for, but i don't. my heart goes out to all those women who go through this and still have to cope with cooking, whether they want to or not.

o still have about 70 pounds to go, but everything is fine. ya just gotta eat the protein, avoid the carbs [which don't taste very good anymore nope. not even ice cream tastes good. but cookies are another story].

i was told that after about a year i would be able to eat [as in tolerate] just about everything. and it's happened. IMO [and believe me, this is debatable] one of the reasons i can do that is because i was really compulsive about avoiding anything that might upset the system for at least 6 months.

so, wonderphul phat one... ask any and all questions... and don't worry... more folks will be around soon. at least i hope so.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:29 PM   #5  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

To my new PHAT friend!

I am 32 years old and have just scheduled my surgery for 2/19/03. It was a very difficult decision and one that took me about 2 years to make. However this is one that I made for myself and I suppose my two darling little girls.

There is so much more that I want out of life than food. For me focusing on the what I will have and not what I won't have really motivates me to continue on this journey.

My dreams are very big (they match my size LOL).

Follow your heart - this decision should not be taken lightly.
Ha ha ha ha ha. Y'all fell off your chairs didn't you?

Gosh, I kill me.

Last edited by justprazn2; 01-10-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:25 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

you're so cute, praz....
Old 01-11-2003, 11:10 AM   #7  
she who must be obeyed

Welcome Phat Friend! I have just a second to post, hubby is waiting to go out to the store, but I wanted to say HI!!

I have a few, okay who am I kidding, I had MAJOR complications as a result of my Lap-Rny. No time to go into it now, but let me just say.......I WOULD DO IT AGAIN!!

Hubby is pacing, back soon
Debbie
Old 01-11-2003, 01:45 PM   #8  
she who must be obeyed

Okay, I'm back.

Dear Phat..........we need a name we can't keep calling you PHAT!!

I just noticed you are from SW VA. I'm from VA also, northern Virginia to be exact. I have a dear friend that lives in Hillsville, are you anywhere close to Hillsville?

I also wanted to say that you can eat. There is nothing that I cannot eat. I have never, not once thrown up, nothing seems to bother me. I would be telling a big fib if I told you I always eat correctly, I have had a few cookies pass my lips, but for the most part, since there is so little room in the tummy I eat correctly. My weight loss has slowed way down, but I'm a late bloomer I have only just now started a good exercise routine.

Debbie
Old 01-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #9  

Debbie,

I am from Chilhowie, which is about 45 miles north of Bristol Tn. I think that Hillsville is about 2 hours north of me... but geography is not my strong suit!

Did you have your surgery open or laproscopically? When did you have it? Do you mind telling me what you eat in a typical day?

A girl I know who had surgery says that foods that aren't good for you don't really taste good anymore. is that true?

Where did you have surgery? The doctor that I have an appt with is in Johnson City TN. Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

Also, I was wondering... I am a teacher... if I have laproscopic surgery, how long will I have to be out of work? I have had three babies in six years and don't have a lot of sick days to spare.

Patty (One of your fat people)
Old 01-11-2003, 11:32 PM   #10  
Hang In There

Or is that Phatty? Hi, I'm a original member of this illustrious group even though I have never had the surgery. My DH Ole Alvin has. He had lap Rny on 4/19/02 and has lost almost 200 pounds. He was only off work a few day with the lap procedure. Unfortunatley, he's not you poster child for the procedure. He doesn't do anything right anymore. Of course he knows more than the doctors. To make a long story short he feels better than he's felt in years, and looks great even thought he still another 100 pounds to go. He misses eating the way he did before and so do I. But would he do it over again? In a heartbeat. When asked about the surgery, he always says that if there is anyway someone can lose it with out the surgery (the phat) they should not have the surgery, but for those like him who can not exercise and function as a normal person, it is truely a life saver.

This is not an easy decision for anyone,and one no one can make for you. Just be sure you do your research and make an intellengent decision, not an emotional one.

Lots of luck and keep us informed.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #11  

Barb,
Thanks for your reply. I was very excited to hear that your dh was only off from work for a few days! If you have lap surgery, is it about the same as having gall bladder surgery? I want to have it done ASAP, but don't want to miss too much school (money).

Well, really, I could exercise... I even tried it this summer. I lost about twenty lbs by going to the gym and working out on the cardio machines for 30 - 45 minutes five times a week. However, I had to drive 30 minutes to the gym and 30 minutes home and with three kids and a full time job, I don't have enough time for all that!

I have tried every weight loss program that I know of... Weight Watchers, TOPS, diet pills, fad diets... the only thing that ever helped me was Redux! I sure wish that that stuff didn't damage your heart!

I know what to do to lose weight, how to eat small portions, how to choose wisely, how to exercise, etc, etc... it's just that I cannot make myself do it for a long period of time. I know that lap rny will provide me with the means to continue to eat small portions and to avoid some things that I shouldn't eat.

I still haven't heard of anyone with serious regrets about the wls... do you know of any?

Patty Phatty
Old 01-12-2003, 01:45 AM   #12  

I've tried it all too. I even bought the Curves that was going out of business so I could exercise. I didn't lose any weight but I lost alot of money. I hope that surgery will be the answer for me.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:18 AM   #13  
she who must be obeyed

Good Morning!

j-sorry you lost money on your Curves location. do you still have it? I see many adds on tv right now for Curves, if you have it maybe the new year will bring new business.

Patty, glad we have a name!! I'll try to answer your questions.

I started doing my reserch into wls in Sept of 2001. The best website I have found to find answers to Millions of questions is www.obesityhelp.com If you can think of a question, I can almost guarantee you it has been ask and is in the arcives of that site.

Patty I had my surgery in Atlanta. My surgery was done at Atlanta Medical Center and I must say, my initial stay with them right after surgery was a good one. Plenty of mega sized gowns, nurse's who knew how to take care of and treat obese patients.

I did end up back at Atlanta Medical Center and spent 6 1/2 weeks in their ICU department. Part of my complication story. I think I went into it on another post, I will try and find it for you and bump it. I don't mind going into the details, because everyone should be aware of what can happen, but it's a long one and if it is already typed out I don't need to do it again.

As for the healing time. I had my surgery lap, because of my problems I can't give you a normal healing time. Jiff what was your time frame??? I have read of people being back on their feet in no time and other's were a bit slower. I think the average is a couple of weeks. My unsolicated piece of advise, wait until school is out to do the surgery, it may take that long to do the pre-op stuff and get approval and on the doc's surgery list anyway. That way if it takes you a little longer to recover your not missing school. A friend of mine, a school nurse, did that, she had her surgery a week after school was out in 01 and went back in August 60 pounds lighter.

If I have missed any questions let me know and I will come back and answer, but right now I need more coffee!!

Debbie
Old 01-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #14  

Debbie,

Yeah, I agree about the waiting until summer idea. Thanks for the unsolicited advice...I need all I can get. Besides, that's what I'm here for! Does anyone else have advice for me... I think that means that I have now solicited advice!

Patty
Old 01-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hey! No soliciting allowed! I lurk just to find stuff like that!

Patty - you have definitely come to the right spot. These Chicks, two of whom I have met in person, know their stuff. Hang out lots and you will learn. Also, realize you will be on a low carb diet after the surgery. Come join us on the LC forum any time to brainpick.
Closed Thread