Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

Default Anyone else not excersizing?

I've been doing WW since January and I haven't done any excersizing yet. I am losing pretty good without it. I am just curious if anyone else is not doin it either. Seems like the more I read on here, yall are all working your butts off (literally!) and here I am not doing anything. Am I missing something? Or should I just be happy with the rate I'm losing without it. I just know myself and it's not something I will do forever. So why start only to then stop My fiance and I bowl once or twice a week. But that's the only real activity I do.

I think I'm probably just lazy!
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

I never thought I'd like exercising. And after reading all those lifetime (thin) members say the same thing, I was like, psh, I will NEVER like exercising. But, come to find out, I LOVE it!!

If you have NetFlix and get DVDs in the mail, check out a couple to see if you'd like them. Or, take advantage of your libraries selection of DVDs. You don't need to spend any money to exercise. If you have hiking or walking trails nearby, try that.

In the winter shoveling, ice skating, building snowmen, those all count!

If you think you'll use a gym membership, invest in one. But don't sign up for a long commitment that involves taking out a certain amount every month if you're not sure you'll use it.

I truly have more energy, I feel better about myself and I like challenging myself with exercise!! I think you could like it too Catahoula!
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

I am exercising but I lost 30lbs with WW without it before. I'm doing it mostly because I have so much to lose and I want to increase my flexibility and hopefully tone up and avoid skin issues later on. Also if I don't I feel miserable and I'm more likely to overeat. Working out makes it so that I'm less likely to "waste" that hard work and pain *laughs*. And it keeps depression away.

But its entirely possible to do it without it.
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/ 168/ STG 160/ LTG 145

Height: 5'4"

I lost 30 lbs last summer without it. Here I am doing it again, but exercising every day and I keep losing/gaining the same 4 lbs. I decided I'm going to exercise w/ 2 days off between and see where that gets me.

I also can't speak enough about bodyrock.tv - it's an amazing at-home workout program using body weight only, no need for any equipment (tho they have some of those options, too). I just went through and bookmarked all the body weight only routines. And, Zuzana is SO fit, and beautiful, and friendly, and sweet... totally my inspiration.

Last edited by girlsenberry; 06-24-2011 at 02:05 AM.
girlsenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I don't exercise to lose weight. I lost 65lb without exercise -- for me, losing weight is like 85% about what I eat. I HAVE started exercising this year, but I do it to be healthy and to be able to actually get out and do stuff! I want to be able to be active and thin does not equal fit... PLus, the toning provided by exercise helps your body look better. So, yeah, you can definitely lose with out exercise, but there are definite advantages to exercise too!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 AM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

You can lose weight without exercising.

And I agree that if you plan to exercise only while on WW and then quit exercising then that doesn't do much for you.

But...there are tons of reason to exercise that have nothing to do with weight loss. Exercise is important for your overall health even if your weight is fine.

And, as you get older, you will lose muscle and that tends to end up in creeping weight gain. I became a lifetime member 20 years and then regained. It is much, much harder to lose now and I can't eat as much and that basically due to loss of muscle that comes with getting older. Exercising -- particularly strength training -- helps with that. Not to mention all the other health benefits.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #7  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

I think nutrition is way more important to weight loss than exercise.

I do exercise though, ideally 5 or 6 times a week, but I don't feel like I'm punishing myself when I go to the gym. And about half those workouts are more fun or just relaxing, like water aerobics and yoga, or hiking or bike riding on a nice weekend day. I'm just about to add strength training too, meeting with a personal trainer today. It's less about weight loss for me and more just about being more active, toned, strong, flexible, etc. (Someday anyway!)

I've found it's helped my blood pressure, my sleep - and how easily I fall asleep at night, and my overall cardio endurance. Though I also seem to have a bigger appetite!

I think it's really about finding something you enjoy though. Like hubby is really into hockey so this year he signed up to start taking ice skating lessons since he hasn't been on the ice in years, probably hoping to someday join one of the casual teams that plays at the rink.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177.4/CW/135.0

Height: 5'5"

I started WW on February 14 at 177.4 - today I'm at 155.6.
I did Simply Filling for the first 14 weeks and then I stopped losing so I switched to Points Plus and on June 1st I started exercising. I also took my measurements and I'll see those results on July 1st.
I always told myself I should be able to lose with WW alone because, like you, I thought it was something I wouldn't keep up. Now I work out 5 or 6 times per week doing Walk Away the Pounds DVDs (3 miles). I've had great results so far and I plan to keep up at this pace until I reach goal and then maintain with exercising 3 times per week.

For me it's the most convenient form of exercise I've found that I enjoy and know I could keep up. My work hours (9:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.) allow me to work out in the morning before work and my evenings are free.

I agree with the other posts, find what you love and fit it in. Think of how toned you will look too!
dixiecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #9  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I did WW in 2002 and lost 44 lbs in 6 months without exercising. It can be done. Good idea? Not sure. I guess it is better than not losing weight. Now I am working out and I feel way better. I also think the weight loss is faster and my body looks better and it is a big part of keeping the weight off later.

Last edited by josey; 06-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i've been lazy.
i personally (as i've mentioned before) get TOM twice a month. IM tired the week after, then i get it again, so im always tired =p
i'll force myself to do it, then get in the groove of doing it, then something happens in my life, and i let myself not do it again like the divorce. I thought it'd be better to focus my energy there - i just havent gotten back into it
cos im being lazy i know it
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 161.4/145/130

Height: 5'5"

I agree with whoever said exercising is so much more then just about losing weight.

Exercise is good for your body,mind and soul. It doesn't have to be so strenuous or expensive. It can be as simple as walking around your neighborhood or a great yoga video.

As humans we are made to move and you can only benefit from it. I think if you find something your interested in and try it a couple of times a week you would feel different about exercise.

I never really exercised until after I had my first dd and funny enough exercise is the one constant I have always had whether I was fat or thin. I go through cycles in my life where exercise is more intense and time consuming to periods where if I get a walk in a few times a week I'm happy.
Proatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: see ticker

My weightloss is S-L-O-W if I don't exercise, regardless of what I eat.
I've been jogging for 3 weeks now and I am really starting to enjoy it. At first, it was a chore to get changed after work and get out, but I told myself I *had* to do it for my dogs, so they could get exercise. Now, I look forward to it almost as much as they do.

Besides, I am on this whole "turn my life around and ditch the bad habits" and "become the best person I can be" kick, and exercising is part of that. I want to be able to chase my son around as he gets older.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 222/ 168/ STG 160/ LTG 145

If I weren't working out, I would at least keep up with my yoga and bike riding. It's gentle, and makes me feel better about myself.. which led me into the working out stuff.
girlsenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

I have read that people who have the most long term success in keeping the weight off during maintenance are those who exercise. I think I can get more important the closer you are to goal to get the last pounds off to begin exercising and I think it's very important for maintenance.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

As you know from your own experience, weight loss is more about eating less than it is about any formal exercise routine.

And while WW encourages exercise, they also point out that any movement is good movement. Adding a few steps, taking stairs. Sure it's not "official", but it counts, and overtime it adds up.

While I think of my eating/exercise routine as a package deal (eating well makes me want to exercise, exercising keeps me on plan to eat well), I can see the benefits of looking at it separately. To have food goals, as well as exercise goals. I do not plan to look like a fitness model when I get down to goal weight, but I want to be able to run a mile. I want to have some definable fitness goals. Goals that are activity related.

In the end, you can lose weight without formally exercising, because it all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. As to whether or not you're better off doing it without formal exercise? That's a personal decision!

Sure, exercising some is likely to be beneficial to you beyond just weight loss. It builds muscle, gives a person strength, flexibility, endurance, etc. We all know the benefits of exercise, but that doesn't mean that everyone is going to formally do a workout tape or buy a treadmill and run 6 miles.

Would I suggest trying something? Of course! But, if you know you aren't going to keep up with a routine, then it's just about urging yourself to do a little more daily. It doesn't even have to be a "routine" so much as it can be just something a little more active.

In the end, you know what you're going to find enjoyable and sustainable. If it's a crazy workout tape 7 days a week, okay. If it's bowling with friends and taking the stairs, then that's okay, too! It's just added activity.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote