Weight Loss Support - Irrational Ideas About Eating

View Full Version : Irrational Ideas About Eating

Larry H
06-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Irrational Ideas About Eating. Lets see how many we can come up with, add your own to this list

1. I MUST eat everything on my plate.

2. I MUST eat when it is time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

3. I MUST eat a big dinner in the evening.

4. I MUST have 3 meals a day.

5. I MUST eat until I am very full or else I will not be OK..

6. I MUST have something to eat to feel better emotionally.

7. I MUST eat it all quickly or I will starve.

8. I MUST have meat at every meal, or at least every day! “Where’s the BEEF?”

9. I MUST eat when others are eating.

10. I MUST eat the food that somebody has fixed for me or else they will think I don’t like them any more.

Larry,

JessLess
06-21-2011, 06:47 AM
I have to eat or I will be hungry/grumpy later.

Sometimes this is a good thing, like eating a healthy snack before being confronted with unhealthy options at a party, sometimes it's totally not necessary.

lin43
06-21-2011, 07:25 AM
You've done a pretty thorough job with that list! I would add, "I must eat to have a good time (at any social event)"

saggzz
06-21-2011, 08:13 AM
I must eat that leftover cake/pie/cookie/ice cream just b/c it's still there sitting in the fridge giving me the stink eye. :)

saef
06-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I MUST eat the rest of the leftover food in that container, because there's just a little bit left, not enough for another meal or even another snack, and I can't put this container back in the fridge with just that small amount in it. May as well finish it.

Riemontana
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
I MUST explain/justify my food choices to other people.

breannabelle
06-21-2011, 09:33 AM
I must eat junk all evening because I am **starving** from healthy eating during the day.

Yeah right - I should get up and go for a walk instead - two problems solved! :)

Emme
06-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Great list, Larry! I will add the following (which is something I have really had to work hard on.):

I MUST eat as soon as I feel the slightest bit of hunger, otherwise I might starve to death!

Fungramma
06-21-2011, 07:40 PM
I MUST eat that peanut butter cup/doritos/fast food because it might be the last chance I ever have to eat it. I might die tomorrow and I would have missed my last chance to enjoy something!!!

astrophe
06-21-2011, 07:58 PM
This probably isn't what you bargained for but...

"I must eat this sandwich crust all the way around before I get to eating the nicer middle sandwich part. Because if I don't, and I leave crusts in my lunchbox Mom will turn them into bread pudding later and that is grosser than just dealing with the crust now!"

I'm loooong out of elementary school. But when confronted by a sandwich I STILL think about my mom's evil bread pudding.

A. :lol:

mzKiki
06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
This probably isn't what you bargained for but...

"I must eat this sandwich crust all the way around before I get to eating the nicer middle sandwich part. Because if I don't, and I leave crusts in my lunchbox Mom will turn them into bread pudding later and that is grosser than just dealing with the crust now!"

I'm loooong out of elementary school. But when confronted by a sandwich I STILL think about my mom's evil bread pudding.

A. :lol:

LOL This is so funny. But I love bread pudding! Yumm wish I could have some now. LOL.

vrabbit
06-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Hm, trying to think... Most ideas about food are so ingrained that I don't even notice them anymore.

If I am craving something I MUST eat it!

ddc
06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
I must have something sweet (usually chocolate) after I have just eaten a meal and should really not be hungry.

I must overeat at the buffet so that I "get my money's worth"

still
06-22-2011, 05:37 AM
I must have something to snack on in front of the TV or computer.

Esofia
06-22-2011, 05:51 AM
I just spent money on this restaurant meal/snack/strange liquid diet plan, so I must eat it all up.

indiblue
06-22-2011, 06:20 AM
I MUST eat the rest of the leftover food in that container, because there's just a little bit left, not enough for another meal or even another snack, and I can't put this container back in the fridge with just that small amount in it. May as well finish it.

Oh gosh, did this today, guilty as charged. There was about 1/2 c of caprese salad I made yesterday (ok not the worst thing in the world, but mozzarella and olive oil galore) that I scarfed. Because the pyrex I put it in was huge and that little bit of caprese looked ridiculous in it. And my refrigerator was ALMOST completely empty of such almost-empty containers, I had to get it all the way there. Good riddance.

Oh, irrationality.

darius
06-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Yes good one.

Redgrl
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I must eat what I don't like (or is just okay, not good) on my plate before I eat the good stuff. That way I can finish the meal with what I really like. I did this as a kid because we had to clean our plates and as an adult, I find myself doing the same thing even though I could just not eat it!

sweetnlow28
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I might as well eat something bad because I already went over my calories and ate too much anyway so one more thing won't hurt.

I must eat a snack at bedtime every night or I will be hungry and I won't be able to sleep. This is the one I am struggling with!

Redgrl
06-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I must eat a snack at bedtime every night or I will be hungry and I won't be able to sleep. This is the one I am struggling with!

Big problem for me! I am now eating a vitatop or yogurt right before I make my husband's lunch for the next day, which is right before I go to bed. I struggled with eating the ham or turkey or chips, etc., I was putting in his lunch. So I figured if I planned something and ate it, and most importantly accepted it so it didn't make me eat more, I'd be better off.

mamakat
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I think I struggle with all of these minus the bread pudding...in my case I'd save the crust, I love bread pudding :)
The one I struggle with the most is sort of like Larry's I must eat everything someone makes me because I don't want to hurt their feelings. Its hard for me not to finish everything my husband makes because he works from sun up to sun down and then shops, preps, cooks and clean up. I feel like eating is doing MY part. Ugh. :(

SCraver
06-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I MUST be PERFECTLY on plan or there is no point in being on plan at all. (I also struggle with this with exercise - like I HAVE to do a whole hour of intense cardio or a full body weight lifting work out - or what's the point? Why bother with "only" a slow two mile jog? Hello - there is nothing wrong with a 2 mile jog or a couple of tummy crunches.)

gagalu
06-22-2011, 05:17 PM
a+ thread

Fungramma
06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
I MUST be PERFECTLY on plan or there is no point in being on plan at all. (I also struggle with this with exercise - like I HAVE to do a whole hour of intense cardio or a full body weight lifting work out - or what's the point? Why bother with "only" a slow two mile jog? Hello - there is nothing wrong with a 2 mile jog or a couple of tummy crunches.)

I do that with exercise, too. The other day I started out on my usual 3.5 mile walk and about a 1/2 mile into it it started raining and I had to turn around and come home. I was quite disgusted thinking 'what was the point of only walking a stinking mile, that's not even worth the effort.' Then i got to thinking that that was a whole mile more walked in a day than I used to even THINK about walking and I felt better. So now I just look at it that ANYTHING I do is more than i used to.

time2lose
06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I am deprived if I am not eating junk food!