Weight Loss Support - Scared of success

View Full Version : Scared of success

IsabellaOlivia
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I think I have a new twist to the fear of failure issue: I'm uncomfortable with succeeding. I find it uncomfortable that my body can do run and do tough work out programmes. After saying online ( not this site) that I worked out ten days in a row, I got a reply saying I was a machine, and it freaked me out. I didn't work out for a week and ate ice cream three days that week, a strange emotional response to that compliment. Not because I wanted ice cream and in fact I wanted to work out, but because I felt like I was the type of person to not work out and eat ice cream frequently.
I feel so stupid when I'm training for my 5k, because in my head there's a voice that says: You're not a person who should be doing these kind of things. It's so shocking to me when my work out is going good. At present time I don't have a scale so I use a tape measurement, and I discovered I lost 1 cm around the waist in 6 days. And I was like: I'm not a person which stuff like that should happen so easily to and in such a short amount of time.

astrophe
06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Sounds like apart from the body work you have some head work to do.

Next time that voice comes up, try saying "Who are YOU? How dare you talk to me that way!"

You have every right to be fit and healthy. Don't let others, including those inner voices, tell you different!

GL!
A.

BellaRN
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM
You should be feeling better as you workout more, and see progress. It should increase your confidence and reinforce the fact that you CAN do these things. You can and you are.

I agree with astrophe, it sounds like you have some head work to do... not just body stuff.

seabiscuit
06-20-2011, 12:51 AM
I, too am scared of success and have sabotaged my success because of it. I think for me, it stems from childhood issues, and things I have gone through in my life, but it is something I really want to tackle and work on because I know I am worthy just as YOU are worthy of the success!

Do you have a counselor or someone you can talk to about this?

Good luck!

:hug:

willowtree17
06-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Oh lord I have done this in every aspect of my life, although my issue was that I was always so afraid of putting my all in something and failing, so instead I wouldn't try at all or I'd self sabotage so that whenever I did fail it wouldn't be as bad because I never tried. This made me really screw up the first and second go round at college (third go round rocks, deans list every semester) and every diet I've been on. Luckily I'm doing my diet with my roommate so we are able to hold each other accountable. Buddy system is awesome, but so is some personal introspection :)
Good luck

greenlove62
06-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Hello all!

I know exactly what you're talking about! Until we deal with the sabotaging thoughts we will continue to fight and re-fight this battle!

Two weeks ago I was feeling down about messing up on my diet. You know beating myself up with negative self-talk which only made me more depressed which meant I ate more junk!! Then I read this article “The Weight Loss Management Psychology” by Malcolm Baptiste and it changed my behavior and my thoughts in one week!!!

I encourage EVERYBODY to check it out! It worked for me, and I know it will work for you, because Knowledge is Power!!! Here’s to all of our success!!!

Also check out my blog at: newme62 on the 3fatchicks blogs