South Beach Diet - Phase 1 OP Thread - week two, starting 6/19

Mmckellen
06-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Sunday
B: lf string cheese
S: chia pudding
then went completely off plan for the rest of the day.

exercise: 45 minute walk

NicoleInCt
06-19-2011, 08:16 AM
It's only day 3 of my restart. I'm going strong, but having a super hungry day.
B: 3 cups coffee, 5 cashews, and just 2 bites of the waffles I made my husband for father's day (had to make sure they were good)
S: 3 turkey slices rolled with cukes; veggie soup
L: 2 chicken patties with tomatoes
D: grilled chicken over salad
S: 1 piece of LF/SF cheesecake

zeffryn
06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for starting us off this week. This is the most time I've spent on P1 in a loooooooooong time! Starting to get back into the groove, though :)

P1

1&2 (Brunch): scrambled eggs w/ onions, bell peppers, broccoli and sirloin steak; coffee
3: kale salad (http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/17/weekend-glow-kale-salad)
4: grilling at FIL's house - grilled protein and salad

exercise: swimming and running around with my kids - active rest day.

cottagebythesea
06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
It's been a looooong time since I was on Phase 1, period, and this weekend has been a real challenge. I'm hanging in there and staying strong, but it's HARD when everyone is running around here munching on fruit salad and ice cream, and there's Dutch Apple Streusel Cheesecake for dessert tonight. *sigh*

B. scrambled egg w/cheese and a flax muffin
S. greek yogurt w/chia and sf peppermint patty syrup
L. leftover crack slaw
S. nothing
D. veggie lentil patty, cucumber salad, grilled veggies
S. a heaping spoon of 2 tablespoons of peanutbutter that I'm going to eat s-l-o-w-l-y while everyone else enjoys their cheesecake

CyndiM
06-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Ohh, have you shared your lentil patty recipe yet? That sounds yummy

nat4crim
06-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Yesterday was a crazy day and I ended up not being able to have dinner until 11PM. And then we had no sbd friendly food left for a proper meal. So I winged it with jicama strips, cheese and cashews. I went out for my friend's birthday and did pretty good for lunch. It was tapas restaurant so I ordered chicken skewers with butter lettuce and the portions were so tiny. I was starved. So I got a bowl of chicken tortilla soup no tortillas. I totally forgot about the corn but I figure in the grand scheme of things it could have been much worse. I enjoyed the glass of wine no guilt. At the roller derby they gave out free chips and I'm proud for not touching them. A little milestone for me because I love chips.

Now for today:

B: Cheddar Omelet with sauteed mushrooms and onions
S: Pistachios
L: 1 cup cottage cheese and veggies
S: 1/2 cup roasted chickpeas and veggies
D: We are going out for Father's day but my plan is to have rotisserie chicken, no bbq sauce, with roasted veggies and green beans.

I'm hoping to stay strong this week but I am getting sick of veggies, dairy and meat. I just want to eat a carton of berries.

cottagebythesea
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Cyndi, the veggie lentil patties are something I picked up at a local wholefoods store here. They are made by the store, Kimberton Whole Foods, and the label says they are made with tofu, green lentils, spinach, tomatoes, and carrots. I figured the amount of carrots in one patty wouldn't be enough to affect Phase 1.

Mmckellen
06-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Monday - I'm experimenting with four smallermeals rather than 3 big ones/2 snacks. TOM is imminent, so I'm not weighing until the day after.

B: chia pudding, hb egg
L: nf greek yogurt, 15 almonds, cucumber
L2: eggplant, zuccini, feta and chicken salad
S: lf string cheese, olives, off plan popcorn (but not much)
D: steak and salad

ETA: my experiment obviously didn't work. I clearly need something between lunch and dinner to keep me going.

cottagebythesea
06-20-2011, 06:37 AM
P1D7! Only 7 more days to go! I can do this.

B. vegetarian egg casserole
S. greek yogurt w/chia and sf vanilla syrup
L. veggie packed salad w/avocado, feta and roasted chickpeas
S. pepper strips w/hummus
D. vegetarian taco bake on romaine

zeffryn
06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
*#$Y&##$ stressed today. My car has relatively low miles - 62k and is on the verge of needing a new engine because of a pretty major defect with the turbo and the timing chain.....does mazda fess up and recall? of course not. am I still under power train warranty? of course not. DH and I are talking to the dealer today, and if they aren't willing to budge on fixing the issue, we're going car shopping. I was *just* getting used to not having a car payment. blah. My stomach is in knots and I'm really not feeling like eating.

P1
1: strawberry cheesecake smoothie w/ spinach
2: leftover kale salad from yesterday's lunch
3: who knows
4: roasted chicken, salad

exercise: 60 min. zumba

NicoleInCt
06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Ouch! Sorry about the car. That is horrible at such low milage. I've had cars above 150k miles and never had to fix an engine. The dealership should definitely take responsibility!!!

Ok, day 4 on P1 restart
B: coffee; 5 cashews; 2 egg whites
L: black bean soup
D: grilled chicken over salad with homemade tzatziki sauce (which was absolutely amazing)

Stopfat
06-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Day 1 P1 restart

Question: How much hummus is allowed on P1? It's made with a legume, but I think it has more oil in it through processing. Maybe 1/4 cup? Maybe a couple tablespoons?

B--coffee with almond milk. Broccoli with hummus. Lemon ricotta souffle (recipe from SBD P1 menu.)

S--Cucumber and 1 oz low fat Gouda. Sobe lifewater, o cal Sugar free.

L--Beef and veggie kabob. Steamed broccoli.

S--plain yogurt w/ cinnamon and stevia.

D--Chicken breast stir fry with mixed veg.

Exercise: 30 minute elliptical (with high intensity interval)--should be equal to around three, ten minute, miles.

cottagebythesea
06-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Stopfat, a serving of hummus is 1/4 cup.

fozentusic
06-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Ok. I've stuck to phase one for a few days now ( mostly ;) ). I'm going to try to log here this week

B: two fried eggs, 1.5 breakfast sausages, 1.5 slices of brown toast and a few bites of home fries. I felt like crap after I ate this. Stupid work breakfast meetings.
L: string cheese
D: kale salad and chicken breast
S: Greek yogurt and chia seeds

nat4crim
06-21-2011, 04:04 AM
I weighed myself today after 1 week on P1 and I lost anywhere between 4 and 4.5lbs. My scale isn't very consistent. It gives different totals in a matter of minutes. Anyways, I'm happy with the loss because I know it's real and not all water weight. If I can consistently lose 2lbs a week I should be at my goal by mid October. The trick is that I'm going away for 3 weeks in July so that will be a killer.

B: Omelet with mushrooms, onion, red pepper and cheddar
S: String Cheese
L: Chickpea Salad with Yogurt Parmesan Dressing
D: Cheeseburger in lettuce leaf and Asparagus

Weight training and HITT on the treadmill

Mmckellen
06-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Tuesday
B: chia pudding and lf string cheese, 1/4 avocado
S: cucumber, 15 almonds
L: chicken/feta/zuccini/eggplant salad
S: nf greek yogurt
D: lf string cheese, roasted chick peas, olives, spinach pie (cheat b/c of the filo)

cottagebythesea
06-21-2011, 06:52 AM
P1D8 -

B. vegetarian egg casserole
S. greek yogurt w/chia and sf caramel syrup
L. veggie packed salad w/roasted chickpeas & feta cheese - no dressing
S. cucumber & red pepper spears w/hummus
D. taco bake over romaine
S. spoonful of peanutbutter if I need something

zeffryn
06-21-2011, 08:37 AM
P1D8

1: chocolate cheesecake smoothie (cottage cheese, us coconut milk, cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla)
2: greek salad, 3 oz. roasted chicken
3: dealing with the dealership, may not have the stomach for anything but plan is edamame
4: cajun roasted chicken, salad

exercise: 120 min. yoga (in two 60 min. chunks), 30 min. treadmill

NicoleInCt
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Day 5

Well, yesterday never really ended for me since my son was up sick all night. In the midst of throwing vomit-covered bedding in the wash at 4 am, and in a sleepless stupor I did have 1 rice crispy treat...wasn't at my clearest state of mind...but not the end of the world. Moving on...

B: coffee with lf milk and splenda, 1 egg plus 1 white
L: black bean soup
S: yogurt and cashews
D: salad with grilled chicken and tzatziki sauce

Hopefully that midnight snack won't lead to a day of cravings

EmmaD
06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Stopfat, a serving of hummus is 1/4 cup.

Hey, that's good to know! I always thought it was 2 Tablespoons and I always wanted more - 'cause I have so many veggies...

*#$Y&##$ stressed today. My car has relatively low miles - 62k and is on the verge of needing a new engine because of a pretty major defect with the turbo and the timing chain.....does mazda fess up and recall? of course not. am I still under power train warranty? of course not. DH and I are talking to the dealer today, and if they aren't willing to budge on fixing the issue, we're going car shopping. I was *just* getting used to not having a car payment. blah. My stomach is in knots and I'm really not feeling like eating.

Oh no. I feel knots reading your story. I hope you can access your inner badass with the dealer and get it sorted out.

Day 5
Well, yesterday never really ended for me since my son was up sick all night. In the midst of throwing vomit-covered bedding in the wash at 4 am, and in a sleepless stupor I did have 1 rice crispy treat...

Ugh, so sorry about your son. I used to eat Rice Krispie treats when I was calorie-counting, so you are right, in the whole world of snack foods, they are not the worst. I hope he is better soon!
---

WELL - I don't even really have an excuse, but I have not done so well since the weekend. Had an unplanned trip that spiraled into a free-for-all. I really really REALLY need to figure out my all-or-nothing thinking. It goes way beyond not having "willpower" - it's like I am actively trying to get rid of off-plan foods (by eating them unfortunately) so I don't have to think about them... SO self-sabotaging. I realize how irrational it is but somehow I don't stop. I am very frustrated with myself. I hate feeling so weak and out of control!

This almost only happens when I am out or with others. I don't usually buy any "bad" things, so on my own territory I would have to actively seek off-plan foods - which I do sometimes, but that is more discrete and usually when I do that, I am still mentally calorie-counting - not grazing or force-feeding myself.

Anyway, I am flaky, popping in and out of these threads as I try to sort out a manageable strategy for my problem. It is not even about the weight - I am only up 3 lbs from a new low seen last month - it's about being healthy and mindful and following through. That's why I chose South Beach, as I think in general it is a really healthy eating plan....

Long story short - I am going to pursue Phase 1.5 for now since I have a lot of amazing fruit in the house right now. Kudos to all of you who are able to stick to your plans! I get so much inspiration from the stories and menus/recipes I find here.

:D

K9Owner
06-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi ladies,
This weekend was horrid eating-wise for me. I didn't gain any weight--thankfully! Trigger food was all around me at work, and I ate much of it!

This week, I am re-introducing oats into my plan 2x/day, everything else will be p1. Does this make me p1.5? I'm so clueless about distinguishing the phases and have read the book--3 times! :lol:

B: FF cheese omelet, oats
L: Lazy Cabbage Roll, Steamed Broccoli
S: Oats
D: Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad

I'll add more food to this when I actually eat. I can never plan meals ahead. I never know what I'll be in the mood for!
Have a great OP day everyone ;)

nat4crim
06-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm really hungry today. I usually calorie track but I figure today I'll just listen to my body and eat until I'm satisfied as long as it's P1 legal and I don't overdo it on fats, nuts and cheese.

B: 1 cup fat free plain yogurt
S: Cheesestring and veggies
L: Egg Salad in Butter lettuce leafs and veggies
S: 1/2 cup chickpeas and veggies
D: Pizza Squash

Does the new SBD book cover P1.5? I only have the old one and there isn't a section on it. I'm looking for more info on this phase because I'm interested in doing it for a couple of weeks before jumping into P2.

Mmckellen
06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Looks like Cottage and Zeff win this one for being the most on plan all week! I've not cheated terribly, but eaten some off plan foods (and wine) and too much yummy on plan foods. Oh well. TOM came today so by Thursday I'll weigh and see how I did.

NicoleInCt
06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
---

WELL - I don't even really have an excuse, but I have not done so well since the weekend. Had an unplanned trip that spiraled into a free-for-all. I really really REALLY need to figure out my all-or-nothing thinking. It goes way beyond not having "willpower" - it's like I am actively trying to get rid of off-plan foods (by eating them unfortunately) so I don't have to think about them... SO self-sabotaging. I realize how irrational it is but somehow I don't stop. I am very frustrated with myself. I hate feeling so weak and out of control!

:D

Have you read Beck's Diet Solution? I found it really helped me with the all or nothing mentality, self-sabotaging, irrational thoughts etc. I've had the same problem with off plan foods. I remember in HS once (yrs and yrs ago) I ate an entire batch of brownies so they wouldn't be around to tempt me anymore. The book is good because it gives you techniques for counteracting those negative thoughts that prevent weight loss. Actually, I think I've just talked myself into rereading it. It's been a few months now and some of my old thinking patterns have been returning. It's a fairly easy read too.

zeffryn
06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
matilda, i did just eat some dark chocolate...with almond butter. i'm in a mood and a half.

fozentusic
06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
I did kinda meh today.

B: 2 fritatta squares, skinny latte
L: chili
S: crack slaw. Two servings. Yikes
D: chicken breast, asparagus.... And a few sweet potato fries. Maybe 8 or so
S: Greek yogurt with sf syrup and chia

Also, I was feeling tired and crampy from TOM and may have stolen a few of DS's goldfish... Damn those are good.

Exercise: 60 min body pump class, 20 min walk

Mmckellen
06-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Zeff, what happened with your car?
TOM finally arrived. Now let's get rid of some of this water.

B: chia pudding, lf string cheese, avocado
S: lf greek yogurt, maybe cukes
L: zuccini/eggplant/chicken/feta salad (last of this salad. I'm thankful)
S: 15 almonds
D: not sure yet.

cottagebythesea
06-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Does the new SBD book cover P1.5? I only have the old one and there isn't a section on it. I'm looking for more info on this phase because I'm interested in doing it for a couple of weeks before jumping into P2.

Phase 1.5 is just a term that we created for our induction into Phase 2, and isn't included in the book. It's the period where we are slowly introducing back a fruit or a starch into our diet to see if it's a trigger food. Each one of us has a different reaction to certain foods, and what may set off cravings for one may not affect you at all. It's a period of experimentation. ;)

P1D9

B. vegetarian egg casserole w/salsa
S. Greek yogurt w/chia and sf cinnamon syrup
L. big salad w/roasted chickpeas and feta
S. bell peppers w/hummus
D. leftover taco bake over broccoli slaw

TwynnB
06-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Zeff - did I see a headline of mazda (?) recalling 400,000 cars?

zeffryn
06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
matilda, got the key issue fixed. was supposed to just be a reprogramming of the key, ended up being a new key + programming (read: an extra $250). i'm saving the bringing it in to see if the car is toast portion for next week, too much to do for DS1's party this week to worry about this any longer. I did look at some minivans yesterday while waiting at the dealership, though......soooo nice.

Twynn...will have to investigate that. what a huge answer to prayers that would be.

--
P1

1: strawberry cheesecake smoothie w/ spinach
2: greek salad w/ roasted chicken
3: full fat greek yogurt with pomegranate arils - not phase 1 appropriate
4: family is having chicken tetrazzini..i'll probably have leftover roasted chicken + salad

exercise: 60 min. RIPPED class, maybe extra treadmill?

wife89
06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
matilda, got the key issue fixed. was supposed to just be a reprogramming of the key, ended up being a new key + programming (read: an extra $250).

Zeffryn, Just noticed you are from Lafayette LA, I was born and raised there..moved to TN 7 years ago!

B: 2 eggs, V8 juice, Coffee with skim and Splenda
S: celery with laughing cow
L: Cottage Cheese salad and a boiled egg
S: SF jello
D: roast, white beans, smothered cabbage, and green beans
had 2 cups peanuts in shell while the fam ate popcorn!

K9Owner
06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
You’re either OP or not, right?? I’m trying to rationalize here!!! :lol:

Tuesday’s Meals
FF Cheese Omelet, Oats 263
Cabbage, Grilled Chicken, Green Beans, Almond Ricotta Crème 318
Caesar Salad with Roasted Trout, NSA/FF frozen yogurt with pecans, Almond Ricotta Crème 718
Total: 1299

Walking: 170
Water: 72 oz

Sounds good huh…..up until the frozen yogurt, which added 16 extra carbs than I had allotted for, but I skipped a planned bowl of oats in the afternoon, b/c I wasn’t at home to eat. However, TOMs cRAVEN bird is around and during a movie last night—which I typically don’t participate in watching—I was sooo munchie!!
I ate 2/3 cup of sf jello and a handful of cucumber slices, 4 carrot chips and 2 T Hummus!!

Not to bad with cRAVEN, but I wish I had just gone to bed!

cottagebythesea
06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Krystal, just to clarify things here, you are not allowed oats on Phase 1. And, remember, we don't count carbs on SBD, either.

K9Owner
06-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Krystal, just to clarify things here, you are not allowed oats on Phase 1. And, remember, we don't count carbs on SBD, either.

Yep, I know. But I have been on P1 for 3 weeks (except Sat/Sun). I tried to play tennis last week and couldn't complete 15 min b/c of dizziness/weakness. I had only taken in 27 net carbs for the day. I also had a little SBD "flu" and was getting over an infection. So, this week, I added oats (trying 4 2x/day, but not succeeding) to increase my energy level so that I can run. I have to have carbs to run and if I want to lose these last 11 lbs, I have to run. soooooo that's why I asked if I were in P1.5 :lol:

nat4crim
06-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Phase 1.5 is just a term that we created for our induction into Phase 2, and isn't included in the book. It's the period where we are slowly introducing back a fruit or a starch into our diet to see if it's a trigger food. Each one of us has a different reaction to certain foods, and what may set off cravings for one may not affect you at all. It's a period of experimentation. ;)

Ok thanks, I was hoping for some more substantial guidelines. I'm scared to add the fruit and grains back in but I guess the only way I'll figure it out is through trial and error.

B: Baked Egg with Cheddar Cheese Slice and Sauteed Veggies
S: Veggies and Hummus
L: Cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes
D: Chicken and Cashew Veggie Stir Fry

I won't be having a second snack today since I ate more than I should have of the stir fry.

Weight training and HITT

Mmckellen
06-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Will be off plan at lunch today. Stayed on plan yesterday, but way too many yummy on plan foods.

B: scrambled eggs with avocado, ls v8
S: nf greek yogurt, 15 almonds
L: brown rice sushi
S: cucumbers
D: steak and sauteed kale

cottagebythesea
06-23-2011, 06:47 AM
P1D11! Woohoo! Only 3 more days to go! (I miscalculated and lost track of what day it was yesterday, and was a day behind)

B. egg casserole
S. greek yogurt w/chia & sf vanilla syrup
L. salad w/roasted chickpeas, avocado & feta
S. cucumber & pepper spears w/hummus
D. probably Swiss chard & white bean gratin

zeffryn
06-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Teaching a kickboxing class this morning, so I'm taking a phase 2 breakfast for a little extra energy. It is my first high intensity class, and I've been nervous about it all day yesterday (read: lots of gastrointestinal distress....ick). I'm feeling sort of dehydrated today and know that I am going to need a little something.

1: (P2) Dr. Oz's belly fat blasting smoothie (US almond milk, 1/2 banana, 1/3 c. frozen berries, psyllium husk fiber, flax, vanilla protein, stevia, spinach)
2: beans and greens? such a dreary day...a salad doesn't sound tempting
3: cottage cheese w/ cinnamon
4: grilled jerk chicken, zucchini

exercise: 60 min. kickboxing accumulator class (wish me luck!)

nat4crim
06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
B: Ricotta-Yogurt Mix with Vanilla Extract, Cinnamon and Cocoa Powder
L: Salad with Hummus and Hard Boiled Eggs
D: Turkey Taco Salad with Avocado

nat4crim
06-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Two days in a row now I saved my second snack for after dinner and ended up eating too much at dinner. I really need to eat something between lunch and dinner to avoid this.

Mmckellen
06-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Nat4Crim, here's a very specific guide to Phase 1.5: introduce either one small fruit serving or one small grain serving to your day, at any meal, but do have it at a meal where there is some fat (which will slow it's absorption). Make note of any reactions you may have like cravings, additional physical hunger etc. If you notice anything, you will recognize that food as a trigger food and probably not something you want to have in your diet on a regular basis. If no cravings, keep the food and move on the following week and add one small serving of the other (i.e. grain or fruit). So after 3 weeks on phase 1.5 you will be having 3 servings a day of fruit/grain. Regular Phase 2 allows you to add in a serving of fruit and a serving of grain right away.

OK - whew - because of TOM (today will be the worst day of it, I know) and eating too much yummy on plan foods I'm extending Phase 1 until the end of Thursday for myself.

Today:
B: scrambed eggs, ls v8
S: 15 almonds
L: lentil soup
S: nf greek yogurt
D: steak and salad

TwynnB
06-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Zeff - how did the class go?! I finally got back on FB, your before and after is amazing!!

cottagebythesea
06-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Congratulations, Zeff! You look amazing!

P1D11 for me. I don't have a plan for supper tonight, but I'll think on it throughout the day and come up with something yummy. :)

Edited to change my lunch and add my supper menu.

B. the last of the breakfast casserole
S. greek yogurt w/chia and sf amaretto syrup
L. red & yellow pepper and cucumber sticks w/hummus
S. chocolate cheesecake smoothie
D. beans & greens

zeffryn
06-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Twynn - um...it went ok, I suppose. i didn't know what my music was going to be, so when i found out, it was way faster than what I had planned on. My cueing was off and the class got kind of lost because of that + the faster music. Lots of positive feedback, though. Just glad the first class jitters are gone, though. I guess it can only get better from here :) I had a cathartic cry after and a beer with lunch and things started looking up ;)

Cottage - thanks!

--

1: plain ff yogurt w/ cinnamon and stevia
2: weekend glow salad (kale, spinach + lots of veggies + hummus dressing)
3: repeat of lunch (smaller portion)
4: grilled salmon, wilted spinach, garlicky white bean puree

exercise: 60 min. strength training, cleaning and cooking like a mad woman trying to get ready for DS1's party tomorrow.

K9Owner
06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi Ladies :wave: Happy Friday to you all.
I am still hanging in this week on P1.5 with only my oats as scheduled.
I played tennis for an hour yest. then power walked for another 45 min. after that.
I did not get dizzy, weak, or the hypoglycemic-feeling at all.

Mmckellen: Thanks for starting this thread, great job staying OP for almost 2 weeks. Sending you some extra :dust: to continue until Thursday :)

EmmaD
06-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Have you read Beck's Diet Solution? I found it really helped me with the all or nothing mentality, self-sabotaging, irrational thoughts etc. I've had the same problem with off plan foods. I remember in HS once (yrs and yrs ago) I ate an entire batch of brownies so they wouldn't be around to tempt me anymore. The book is good because it gives you techniques for counteracting those negative thoughts that prevent weight loss. Actually, I think I've just talked myself into rereading it. It's been a few months now and some of my old thinking patterns have been returning. It's a fairly easy read too.

I just saw this.... funny you should mention it... YES, I love this book!! It is what helped me break a 6-month plateau last fall, so now I am maintaining at 5-7 lbs less than I was before that. I recommend this book all the time. I'm just not so good at the planning part ... when I do everything she suggests, WOWZA I can go into uncharted territory. I only have a small amount of weight to lose so it has been a lengthy struggle to lose that last stinkin' 5-10 lbs ... I am basically maintaining but all the Beck tips are what got me to where I am now. If only I could keep implementing them regularly. IF ONLY :)

nat4crim
06-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Nat4Crim, here's a very specific guide to Phase 1.5: introduce either one small fruit serving or one small grain serving to your day, at any meal, but do have it at a meal where there is some fat (which will slow it's absorption). Make note of any reactions you may have like cravings, additional physical hunger etc. If you notice anything, you will recognize that food as a trigger food and probably not something you want to have in your diet on a regular basis. If no cravings, keep the food and move on the following week and add one small serving of the other (i.e. grain or fruit). So after 3 weeks on phase 1.5 you will be having 3 servings a day of fruit/grain. Regular Phase 2 allows you to add in a serving of fruit and a serving of grain right away.

Mmckellen, thank you so much for this detailed explanation. I've decided to add fruit for week one (either berries, cherries or homemade apple sauce). I know it isn't one at a time but I figure they are all low on the glycemic index and I doubt they will cause cravings. I may do berries for two days, add cherries for two days and apples for two days just so I have a little time with each. Week 2 of 1.5 I'll add brown rice. And week 3 I'll just increase my fruit servings to 2/day. Then I'll transition to Phase 2 where I'll add one more serving of grain, probably oatmeal for a total of 2 fruit and 2 grain daily. Then I'll start varying the grains/fruit to see if any are triggers for me. I'll probably wait until phase 2 to try sweet potatoes too.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

Is meat and dairy like yogurt and cheese considered a fat to help slow absorption? I know olive oil, avocado and nuts are.

What does SBD consider a serving size? I know the standard serving of fruit is one piece or 1 cup chopped. And for whole grains it is 1/2 a cup.

What about veggies like carrots during phase 1.5? They aren't my favorite so I can live without them but a few baby carrots would be good to add to my daily raw veggies.

Finally, I know for Phase 2 a glass or two of red wine is ok once in awhile. Do people doing phase 1.5 generally still avoid red wine?

Thanks so much for all your help, I hope to repay newbies one day on this site.

nat4crim
06-25-2011, 02:00 AM
B: 1 cup of plain yogurt with cinnamon
S: Cheese String
L: Tex Mex Black Bean Salad
D: Cheese Omelet and Green Beans

Weight training and HITT

jyoyo78
06-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey Zeff...would love to see your before and after pics :) Hoping to show mine sometime too!! lol

Went shopping yesterday....finally!!! Bought LOADS of veggies, going to spend this weekend making big batches of stuff to freeze so I have things on hand. This weekend will be mostly phase 1 eating. I still need to get a few staples from the store. Then fresh start on Monday morning....why is it always Monday? lol

I'm back on the beach...woot, woot!!

Scarlett
06-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I thought I'd jump in here. I've been on SB in the past and it's really the best diet I've ever been on. This past month and a half I've been dieting, eating mostly SB friendly foods but not totally on the plan. I've lost 13 pounds. Now I'm ready to get fully back on SB.

I'm going back on Phase one on Monday. I planned out my menu for the whole week and made a grocery list. Hopefully, since I've been eating mostly SB foods, the shock to my system wont be as bad. I'm sure I'll be hanging around here a bit in the future. Thanks.

cottagebythesea
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Today is day 13 for me on my Phase 1 Redux, and since I know fruit isn't a trigger food for me, I started adding them in today. Yum!

B. veggie omelette and 1/2 cup of strawberries and honeydew melon
L. Green Monster smoothie
S. beans 'n greens, cucumbers in yogurt
D. NSA fudgesicle

jyoyo78
06-25-2011, 08:46 PM
@Scarlett - I'm right there with ya. South Beach seems to be the only thing that works for me, don't know why I ever doubt it and try anything else! So, here I am again...for the who knows how many'th time :) I'm starting clean on Monday too. I've been prepping stuff through out the day, will do some more tomorrow. That way I'll have plenty to get me through Phase 1 at least. Once I'm to Phase 2 it's usually smooth sailing since I can make something work in a pinch. It's the clean phase 1 I'm worried about. But WE CAN DO IT!!! I've done it before....so obviously I can do it again....sigh...wish I would have learned the first time!

Scarlett
06-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm sure we'll both do great. I made myself a one week menu on the computer with little check boxes next to every food I'm supposed to eat. Therefore I can X the boxes off as I eat them. I also made my shopping list. I have a fair amount of SBD friendly food in the house, so I'm going shopping Monday morning. I haven't done a full clean 2 weeks of phase 1 since I first started SBD 3-4 years ago. I'm determined to make it happen. Once I get really going on SB I usually stay on it.

nat4crim
06-26-2011, 01:56 AM
B: Plain yogurt with 1 tbsp peanut butter
L: Hard Boiled Eggs, Veggies and Hummus
D: Spicy BBQ Turkey Sausage, Salad and Green Beans

Well I'm on day 13 and I'm deciding to treat myself. DH and I are having some red wine and dark chocolate almonds. I think I got the hang of the SBD and I don't think a little indulgence will destroy all my efforts. Besides, I want this to be a lifestyle change and part of life is having treats once in awhile.

cottagebythesea
06-26-2011, 07:16 AM
jyoyo, Welcome back on board! I dreaded re-doing Phase 1 again, but really needed it to detox, and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. The key for me was to plan ahead and have most of my preps in the fridge, ready to go. It sounds like you're setting yourself up for success, too. Good luck, and I know you can do it!

Scarlett, nice to see you back, too! It's surprising how fast those 2 weeks fly by, and you start noticing results almost immediately. It makes it all worth it. :)

Last day of Phase 1 Redux for me (with the addition of fruit yesterday)!!!! I made it! :D

B. flax muffin w/yogurt and STRAWBERRIES!
L. weekend Glo kale salad
D. grilled portobello w/feta, weekend Glo kale salad
S. nsa fudgesicle

Scarlett
06-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks cottagebythesea I'm still dieting but the past 2-3 days I've been consuming a little more carbs and caffeine. I'm planning to go out today for an iced coffee. Eating as much as I can (without putting on weight), because I'm going to be without it for awhile. I'm probably making it much harder on myself though, because it'll just make the "flu" worse.

I'm just happy I'll be on phase 1 for 4th of July and therefore wont indulge and have a "lost week."

jyoyo78
06-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Yes cottage....going back to a clean Phase 1 is very daunting!! That's why it's taken me SO long to just DO IT! :) Thanks for the encouragement. I need it! And good job to you on the clean Phase 1, too!

nat4crim
06-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Last day on Phase 1

B: Scrambled eggs with cheddar, sauteed veggies
S: Half a small sugar free chocolate latte
L: Tex Mex Grilled Chicken and Bean Salad with Guacamole
D: Chili and Green Beans

Scarlett
06-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm finishing up day 2 phase one. I've been super OP these 2 days except I made a tiny mistake. I cooked up 3 days worth of chicken. I prepaired my menu from memory and thought all chicken was legal. Unfortunately it was boneless thighs, not breats. Oh well, I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not like I ate cake, but I will be more careful in the future. I double checked my menu with the book and the rest of it is good.

Also, I'm not having too much of a "flu," just a small (barely noticable) headache and a little sluggishness. I think it's really helped that I'd been eating mostly SB type foods before I started. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself :D