General chatter - Taking the plunge -- my first blind date in over 5 years!

ShanIAm
06-18-2011, 10:49 AM
OK, so, a little while back I posted about getting back into the dating game and was hoping I'd have success with some sort of meet cute scenario where I bump heads with a guy in a bookstore (Exotic Destinations section, of course) and we fall madly in love and run off to the carribean. Yeah, well.....

I joined an online dating site instead and my first date is set up for this afternoon at 2pm EST. I tell you this because I want you all to send me good vibes! LOL

I was feeling fine up until about 10 minutes ago. Now my stomach is in knots from nerves!!

MzJuicyD
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM
o wow! Congrats! I've never been on a blind date! I'm sure everything will be fine! Keep us posted ;)

konfyoozed
06-18-2011, 11:03 AM
i went out on a date with a guy from a dating site a couple years ago...

he's currently puttering around the kitchen unloading the dishwasher. :)

sidanne42
06-18-2011, 11:08 AM
OK, so, a little while back I posted about getting back into the dating game and was hoping I'd have success with some sort of meet cute scenario where I bump heads with a guy in a bookstore (Exotic Destinations section, of course) and we fall madly in love and run off to the carribean. Yeah, well.....

I joined an online dating site instead and my first date is set up for this afternoon at 2pm EST. I tell you this because I want you all to send me good vibes! LOL

I was feeling fine up until about 10 minutes ago. Now my stomach is in knots from nerves!!

Hey Shan!:hug:

Kudos to you for taking the plunge back into the dating pool! I am proud of you! I haven't been on a date in over five years, and have kinda sworn off men, but lately, even I am starting to reconsider. When I get as skinny as you, I may give it a go!!! Keep me posted as to how it went. Stay in a public place for safety. Have fun, and be yourself...if he doesn't like you, it's his loss!!! I live about an hour east of you on the middle peninsula (Middlesex Co.) Small world! Not many dating prospects around hear; huge farm boy-men in ill-fitting overalls. Yuck! May have to check out Richond one day soon... was born there at St. Mary's Hospital, and attended VCU, so I know the area well. Good luck today, and thanks for being brave and also for sharing your fears and dreams with all of us! Just be you, and you will shine!!! :)

Sidanne :carrot:
( I'm new, and can't get enuf of the Dancing Carrot King!)

SeeImTryin
06-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Congratulations - You can do this - Have fun!!!:)

sidanne42
06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
i went out on a date with a guy from a dating site a couple years ago...

he's currently puttering around the kitchen unloading the dishwasher. :)

:dizzy: Hey! Gizzy dizzy over your last post....what dating site wuz that? I want one of those! I hear that 1 in 5 meet their future spouses online these days. Would love to know about the divorce rate of those couples! I tried a site with the initials EH several years ago, but ended up meeting more wackos than wonderfuls. Some were really scary! But I guess no scarier than the "real world!" Thanx for sharing your successful encounter -- you're an inpiration to those of us who are still single and lonely, yet hopeful!

Sidanne :)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/waXvXWw/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXvXWw/)

nationalparker
06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Good luck and just enjoy it for what it is - a chance to meet someone who has similar interests and is interested in learning about YOU, too!

I, too, met someone online a couple of years ago (eH) and we're happily married and it was a great experience. Good luck!

gonnadoitthistime
06-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I hope you have a great time! Good vibes to you.

Lovely
06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Hurray! Have a great time :D

rmc9142
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Good for you for just taking the plunge! I imagine once this first date is over, the rest will come a bit easier. Hope you have fun. As nationalparker said, if nothing else, you had the opportunity to meet someone new.

raebeaR
06-18-2011, 01:19 PM
ShanIAm, enjoy the heck out of it! :)

I, too, met the man of my dreams online (although not on a dating site). It HAPPENS, and it happens a lot!!

Just remember, ya gotta kiss a lot of frogs... so whatever happens, enjoy the experience and just let it unfold. Can't wait to hear how it all went!!

Best, Rae

Ferumbras
06-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Enjoy it!! And report back! :D

ryeb
06-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I have been wondering about you! True story! I remember your post a bit back, and I am glad you are taking the punge. Your date is already happening right now, so I hope that it is going awesome!

I met my guy online too! He is waiting for me at home right now, while I work.

ShanIAm
06-18-2011, 05:30 PM
OK gals -- I got home a little while ago from my first blind date in a LONG time. We got along really well. His birthday is tomorrow so I made him a mixed CD and bought him a bag of his favorite candy. We went to a place that has one of those bar trivia games and we had fun doing that. But as first dates usually go, there is always a lot to chat about. But of all the things he told me about himself the bestest of all is that he is a low carb eater....like me. He is very height and weight proportionate but I love that he has the same way of eating as I do. Our date lasted almost 2 hours and he walked me to my car. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and a hug and we went our separate ways. I left not knowing how it went from his perspective. There were a few moments during our date where he rubbed my back and I touched his arm but you can just never read too much into that. For me, I knew I wanted to see him again but wasn't sure about him. Well, that was until he told me via text that he bought a couple steaks on his way home for dinner tomorrow and asked if one of them was mine. :D I accepted so me and a bottle of red wine will be heading to his house tomorrow for dinner. He called me beautiful, sassy and smart. Awww! *giggles* And I told him he defintely exceeded my expectations....which he did. :D

I'm very excited! My first date went SO well. I have quite an awesome batting average so far.

BUT, there is one more guy in the pipeline that I am interested in meeting. Still in the chatting stage but a date is forthcoming I hope.

Thank you guys for your virtual vibes. They worked!

Ferumbras
06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm glad to hear it went so well!!!

Lovely
06-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Yay! Aww =) That sounds like a great date, and I hope the second one is even better! ^^

ryeb
06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
YAY!! That sounds so great. I hope you enjoy your time tomorrow!! I have been stalking 3FC to see the verdict of your date. I feel lame, I get excited for people I don't know for some reason lol

fatferretfanatic
06-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Great, Shan. I am so glad to hear you had a great time. I hope your second date is just as great!

bargoo
06-18-2011, 09:24 PM
That sounds great, keep us posted.

Beila
06-19-2011, 06:03 PM
That's AWESOME SHAN! So glad you are back in the dating world! I hope you find true love as you deserve it!

konfyoozed
06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
:dizzy: Hey! Gizzy dizzy over your last post....what dating site wuz that? I want one of those! I hear that 1 in 5 meet their future spouses online these days. Would love to know about the divorce rate of those couples! I tried a site with the initials EH several years ago, but ended up meeting more wackos than wonderfuls. Some were really scary! But I guess no scarier than the "real world!" Thanx for sharing your successful encounter -- you're an inpiration to those of us who are still single and lonely, yet hopeful!

Sidanne :)

i found him on okcupid. i originally joined because it's a free site and the quizzes were a good way to kill time at work. a few years after a joined and a pretty bad break up, i filled out my profile and gave it a shot. we had a match percentage of over 90% and his list of music preferences was like reading a list of my collection. so i shot him a message, a few weeks later we met, 2 years after that he proposed, and we got married a month ago.

dating sites are a pretty common medium for meeting potential dates. just be careful and realize that just like every other venue to meet people, there are good ones and bad ones.

shan - i'm glad your date went so well! i hope round 2 is as fun as the first! :)

gsb126
06-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Yay for you, Shan!! :) Definitely keep the updates coming. So nice to hear about happy endings.

For those of you who've been successful, how'd that happen? I was on OkCupid for a while with no luck. I'd get an email, respond, then nothing. My BF read my emails, said she didn't see anything odd, so what gives? Beginning to think maybe I'm just too old (43).

KerriLeah
06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
OKC is pretty weird. I was on there for awhile. I met a few men from there that we emailed awhile and then nothing. I dated a guy on there who we dated for 3 months and then nothing... whatever. I think you can find some normal people on there and some relationship challenged ones as well. The guy things are going well with currently I met off of OKC. I have been dating online for about 10 years and have had some nice relationships come out of it. Just hoping this relationship is my LAST one because of good things! Good luck. It's a jungle, isn't it???