Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/240/160

Height: 5 foot 8

Default Hello Everyone: Seeking help and motivation

Hi y'all

My name is Claire and I'm from Spokane Washington. I am only 19 years old and have finally decided to get my act together and lose the weight i've always wanted to. I am sick of being the spunky sorority sister with the great personality....but not the great looks. I am sick of all of my guy friends seeing me as a little sister and not a sexy chick. So I'm ready to do this! It's only been a week and 5 pounds have already been lost. I need support and help in knowing how to do this in the most effective way possible. =]]] PLEASE HELP

Claire.
ClaireBear92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/149/130

Height: 5"7 , BodyFat%: 24.8 Goal%: 15

Hi Claire!

You go girl! You let those guys know what they can't see! There's a sexy beast inside of everyone. :P

First off, how much is your health and weightloss worth to you, emotionally and financially?

Best plan of attack - Join a gym that has classes (aerobic, weights and resistance) and JUST GO. Get the class schedules and write a timetable (with your other commitments) with you going to the gym at least 4 -5 times a week - multiple classes a day would be awesome. STICK TO IT!
On top of that you could also get a personal trainer, but it isn't completely neccessary if you're commited to classes and using proper technique.
I find a good way to get motivated - something stupid - but actually going to a sports store and getting some cute workout outfirst - get 4-5 sets.
If you splurge on this you'll be even more commited and motivated to to it.

Weightloss is kind of 10% exercise and 90% diet. When I say diet, I don't mean starving yourself.
Just eating healthily. There's a lot I can go on about. But this is a plan....

3 main means, 2 snacks a day.

2 pieces of fruit a day - more and it's too much suger, fruit is best for a snack, or for breakfast.
Don't eat boxed cereal for breakfast if you can help it, it has lots of hidden carolies, unless you are planning on eating bran, with fruit. Porridge is awesome - add prunes, grated apple, cinnaomon and a bit of honey.

Fit in vegies everywhere! Salad, boiled, roasted, stirfried (little oil).

Protien - fish, beef, chicken, lentils, beans, eggs. - portion for lunch and dinner.

Lay off the carbs as much as possible. Don't have more than a cup of rice, noodles, pasta, potato a day. If you have carbs have it for lunch so you have the best opportunitiy to burn it off through the day.

LOTS OF WATER.

Cut out the sugar and fat.

Think of a healthy "naughty" snack food to replace the reaaally bad ones. I love greek yoghurt with nuts, or boccinchini cheese.

It's ok to fall off the wagon, just get straight back on!

That's alot of info....!
Goodluck!
CeciliaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/149/130

Height: 5"7 , BodyFat%: 24.8 Goal%: 15

Ooh! I forgot! Get a little notebook, with days or not, and record everything you eat and and what time - so you're more aware of what's working, and what's not.
- I always get stupidly hungry after 7pm, even after dinner. Best way to attack so I don't bindge is drink 2 glasses of water, and eat low-calorie food (tomato, carrot, cucumber) till my heats content.
CeciliaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC =)

1) Know you can do this. You. Can. Do. This! No matter what!

2) Food Plan. Now this is different for everyone, so it's important to look over your life and know what's possible, and what's not possible for you right now. You might want to check into Calorie Counting as it's incredibly inexpensive (read: takes no money, only a minute of your time to add calories) and effective. Generally speaking, though, you must simply consume fewer calories than you are using in order to burn excess fat. So. Track your food. Write it down in a notebook, or use an online program, or an app for a phone.

3) Move more. Now this can also be accomplished in a number of ways. Most people think "Ugh... EXERCISE." But, honestly it doesn't have to be a typical work out in order to be activity. The object (to start) is simply to burn a few more calories, and to get your body used to moving. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further from the store, walking to class instead of taking the bus, taking a stroll with your friends when you're bored. Of course, joining a sport, or using a workout dvd or anything like that is also great!

There are so many tips around the site, too. Take your time, post wherever you're comfortable.

Hope to see you around the boards!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #5  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Some people need to eliminate the word "exercise" and replace it with something they experience as a positive word. Also, remove the "have to" mentality. (I am one). I think of it as "Moving around" (and am aware that there are immediate benefits like feeling less bloated/sluggish), add music, tell myself "I will just get up and move around for a few minutes". My sessions are now 25 minutes that fly by walking, kicking, dancing all with three lb weights working my arms in all kinds of ways. I actually have to make myself stop (overdid once years ago, got injured and couldn't take the stairs let alone walk very far and pack on pounds while unable to do much, so am careful now).
Try different things that feel good to you, that you have a good mindset about, rather than a chore.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: See sig for ticker and blog

Height: 5' 2"

Thumbs up

More power to you.

I think this place is a great motivation tool. I joined a gym two weeks ago. And I was doing good fairly good. But then I would go there, loiter for a while, do half-arsed half-hour workouts and then wait 4 hours for my mum to come pick me up. Then I had a migraine so I took a day off and stumbled upon this place.

Every time I feel demotivated, which is everyday, I come here and see the goals and mini-goal accomplishments. It is such a great boost. To see other people who were in the same boat as me get up off their butts and make a difference? If they can do it, why can't I? And then started my real work outs. I walk at a speed that once upon a time was easy, but now makes me breathless, for 25 minutes, I try to stay within the 'acceptable heart-rate', but considering how unhealthy my body is, I don't think the strain is going to do much harm, and this was seconded by the 1 free fitness trainer session I had- she got my heart-rate up to 200 bps. Not good according to the books, but I don't push it that far, I stick to the 169-175 bps (which still puts me in the green zone- ideal heart rate that you can go up to is between (0.85 and .9) times (220-your age)bps). I think do half an our of weigh equipment like the low row and stuff, and I do 15 minutes of stretching and 20 minutes of the cross-trainer/cycling.

Anyhow. I'm sure you will do fabulously. Congrats on starting this new journey.
painfullystoic is offline   Reply With Quote