Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #1  

Default Accurate Kitchen Scale?

I have one, but to change the setting from oz. to grams, I have to turn it upside down and flip this small switch that is set into the back of the machine, which is impossible to really get to without using something narrow (a skewer is what I'm using now). Yes, it's a stupid design. Also, I'm not sure how low it goes in terms of weighing, but I know it doesn't go as low as I would like. For example, I had my yogurt on it the other day, and I wanted to weigh my honey by drizzling it on my yogurt, but it wasn't registering that even though I'm sure I drizzed at least a tsp.

Any recommendations?
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Mine measures in grams -- I think it can be changed but I've lost the directions -- and I often use calorie information listed in ounces. I just have a sticky note attached to the kitchen cabinet above, with conversions: 28g = 1 oz, 56g = 2 oz. And 100g which is pretty standard on nutrition labels here = 3.5 oz.

I usually remember them now so I don't have to look it up anymore. You can also just round up and use 30g/oz, or I use the calculator on my itouch for something complicated, which is where my LoseIt calorie app is anyway.

On the not registering with the honey -- I notice that if you add something very slowly, where it changes just a gram at a time, it often will not register, at least at first. I don't know if a fancier scale will make much difference there unless you are going much higher end. So I dump at least 5g worth at first and then it's fine. But I guess the drizzling thing usually only comes in for me when I'm putting the molasses or salt in when I make my rye bread, and I worked out the correct weight by tablespoon, and so I just measure it that way now.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote