Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #1  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Has anbody had success with not weighing themselves?

I mean, it's a well known fact that successful maintainers weigh frequently. But does anybody else have serious issues with the scale?

The scale has the power to completely ruin my day. I tend to obsess and weigh myself many times a day. I would also end up off plan a lot, because I'd see a new low and either sabotage myself, or think "Well I can have a free meal today because I've worked so hard!" I just stopped weighing myself one day, and sort of stopped THINKING about weight loss altogether.

I've been doing well without weighing. I've lost about a pant size. I'm very curious about how many pounds I lost, but I'm really worried it will derail me if I let myself check. I was wondering if there were others with this same issue, and if so, how do you handle it?

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 06-17-2011 at 07:21 PM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #2  

I'm no "success story," but I refuse to weigh myself because it makes me anxious. I have the same reaction to weighing as you do---i.e., eating more if I'm lower than I thought and stressing out and giving up if I've worked hard only to see the scale go up. So, I'll go by my clothes size. I might try measuring; many people seem to have success with that.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I think you have to do what works for you. For me if I stop weighing, I gain. I really need that accountability. However, I know not everybody in the world is just like me so that's probably a good thing.

I think what you really need to ask yourself is if you can be accountable without weighing?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #4  
Junk Warrior

S/C/G: 275/241/180

Height: 5'10

I dont see anything wrong with it as long as you stick to what you know works. Ive been trying all kinds of new stuff so im on and off the scale so much its battery is running out lol
BowandArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/142/111

Height: 5'0

I have the same issues with the scale. I didn't even own one until recently. I was weighing myself every couple of months at friends houses. As I've gotten closer to my goal weight I've begun weighing in more frequently but even then I've been keeping it at around every 2 weeks.

Between my slow metabolism and natural weight fluctuations that are bound to occur, I know that if I had done frequent weigh ins at the beginning of my weight loss, I probably would have gotten discouraged and given up. At my march weigh in I found that I had lost 15 lbs since my december weigh in. Which is pretty good in the grand scheme of things. But had I been weighing frequently it would have manifested itself in roughly 3 lbs a month. And that would have driven me crazy.
coastalvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #6  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I'm a slave to the scale. And I'm trying to break free of it.
I'm the person that weight herself twice a day. but for a short time, i went without the scales. Sort of.
I stopped weighing myself because if I made any good headway, I would see that as a reason the cheat a little, and it would derail me. So I stopped getting on the scale for a whole week. (which is a long time for me.) I had my boyfriend write down my weight as I closed my eyes and then at the end of the week he took my weight again with instructions not to tell me what my weight was unless I gained over five pounds.
turns out I lost 8.
Which was crazy awsome because I'm lucky to lose a pound a week. I think the fear of seeing a bad number made me stick to my guns, eat right, not cheat and do my work-outs every day. The second week I lost only 3 pounds, but I was still happy about that.
alas i slipped back into weighing myself every day and I've gained it all back over the holiday months...and now it's already June. So I'm thinking of going back to having my Boyfriend hide my scale from me. ^.^
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #7  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

I lost 140 pounds without even owning a scale =)
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #8  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

For me, not using the scale at least once in a while is more of a denial thing as in, "If I don't see the numbers go up, I really didn't gain." Which ofcourse, isn't true. It's a mind game for me. If I see the numbers creeping up, then I know I have to get my butt in gear.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote