Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #1  
I think I can...

Default Lunch with an old Friend

One of my very good friends moved about 3 hours away and we haven't seen each other since maybe October. We talk frequently & text everyday, but no face to face. With that being said I NEVER tell people that I am "dieting" just don't need everything that comes along with it.
So when we see each other after about 10 mins she says "You look like you lost weight." I told her that I had. Of course we all know the next question. I told her "diet & exercise." Then for the next 10mins or so I listened to her stories of working out every other day for an hr and to only eating lean meats and fish (she looks like she has put on maybe 10lbs).
When it was time to order I felt like a science project! It was just really uncomfortable to me. Why can't people just act normal? I don't judge any of my friends. She had a chicken and cheese quesidilla (sp) with sour cream to dip it in. It looked really good. I didn't say wow do you know how many calories is in that cheese?
I just hate when people get all weird around others just because they are eating healthy.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

From your post it sounded more like she was just interested in what was working for you. We're curious beings!

I know I'm an open book if someone asks me "How are things working for you on weight loss?" I'll tell them. Mind you, their eyes might glaze over when they realize that "eating less, moving more" isn't quite as exciting as a magic pill...

But, of course, if you're uncomfortable with it, you can bypass the questions entirely by saying in response to those questions: "Lost weight? I dunno. I haven't been paying attention."

Then they won't ask you what you're doing
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

Lovely - although I love your response and it is awesome "lost weight, I dunno I havent been paying attention" I don't know if I could say that with a straight face. I am acutley aware of everyounce on my body and exaclty what I have eaten in any given day. I am no longer addicted to the scale but am very very aware of paying attention.... lol
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley777 View Post
Lovely - although I love your response and it is awesome "lost weight, I dunno I havent been paying attention" I don't know if I could say that with a straight face. I am acutley aware of everyounce on my body and exaclty what I have eaten in any given day. I am no longer addicted to the scale but am very very aware of paying attention.... lol
Well it's certainly not going to be a perfect response for everyone!

It can always be tweaked. A person can say "Some, I think." And then if asked how, can deflect with an uninterested shrug and a "Normal stuff/Eating less." Or even say something like "Oh that's a boring subject, so what's up with that thing you were talking about earlier?"

This is, of course, for a person who just really does not want to talk about their weight loss. Deflect, change the subject!

Works good for lots of things that aren't up for discussion... As long as the person takes the hint and doesn't get pushy!

If you're up against a pushy person... then it turns into a flat out "I don't really want to talk about it." And again changing the subject to something else.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote