Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Specific Questions about P90X vs. Chalean Extreme

Good morning!
I've hit a plateau and I need to do something [dear god ANYTHING] to get out of it. I've decided as part of my plan, I'm going to add more strength to my routine as currently - it's about 90% cardio. I can't decide between P90X and Chalean extreme, and I was hoping you could help. Here are the pos & cons that I find with each...

I'm sure there are several threads out there talking about this stuff, so if you could direct me to those if you don't feel like commenting again that would be great too.

[Please note, we're on a tight schedule and aside from the weeks, we really only have about a little over an hour to dedicate to exercise a day.]

P90X:
Pros: There are Cardio Days that I can sub a video [everyone seems to hate most of the cardio videos on all the reviews I've read] for running outside, as I refuse to give up running at all.
Cons: I have no where to hang a pull-up bar, as I live in a REALLY old apt and the door frames can barely hold the doors - let alone me or the hubs. Plus, after forking out the money for one of these programs I don't have any more to fork out on one of the pull up bars.

Chalean:
Pros: No pull-ups, chin-ups so my poor door frames won't crumble...
Cons: Maybe I'm misinterpreting the schedule, but with Chalean - do you do weight and cardio everyday? This doesn't leave me any time for a strictly run day - which I need to stay sane. Mental health is key for me, haha.[We run 4 -5 miles when we run, which takes about an hour after warm up/ run/ cool down are all said and done... with travel time to where we run - it's all the time we really have in our schedule]

I was also debating Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 days - but again, it's an everyday thing [are you really supposed to do it everyday of the week or can I do like 3 days of running, and 3 days of JM and still see the results?

Help!
[and THANKS!]
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #2  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I did P90x several years ago without a pullup bar. Tony shows modifications using bands with handles for the pullups and all the weighted exercises in case you don't want to buy dumbbell weights. I also subbed other cardio, although I did like the Kenpo workout, I was afraid to try the plyo workout but did later and liked it, too. The workouts are hard but if you work at your own pace, counting your reps and using a good weight for you it will be fine. The way the workouts are set up they repeat the same exercises so the first half is essentially the same as the second, so you only have to do the first half {plus the stretch} if the hour long workouts don't fit in your schedule. I did the Lean rotation but later deicided the Classic was better even though it starts with the dreaded Chest and Back {pushups and pullups}. Do as many reps as you can then take a break, stretch, and start back when you can. hope that helps.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

I too use P90X without a pull up bar, as I don't trust my doorframes. The resistance bands work just fine.

I personally hate about half of the Cardio X one, but I like the other half and I LOVE the Kenpo X, Plyo, etc.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #4  
calorie counting works!

S/C/G: 171/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

It's not like anyone will be watching you to make sure you followed the program exactly, whichever one you choose. If you need to run, then run!
reji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/177/125

Height: 5'5"

I've done P90X without a pull up bar. I just used the bands. I was only able to do it for a month due to getting a THIRD job! (Never again!!!) Anyways, it was amazing!! Best thing I've ever done for myself! I just shrunk. Everywhere. It's very difficult at first, but if you stick to it, it pays off tenfold! The cardio videos are the hardest, but I definitely recommend Kenpo. So much fun! For the rest, I don't think substituting a run would be bad. You might also want to consider the Yoga or Stretch videos. They really help keep your muscles loose and flexible. Good luck!!
KrazyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #6  
Incredible Shrinking Wife

S/C/G: 172.8/142/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi! For Chalean, not weight + cardio daily... 3 days of weights and two of cardio with two rest days, one of which could certainly be a run day (it is for me)! I just started Chalean and I am loving it!
MrsD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I did P90X and had great results. I have no experience with Chalean Extreme but suspect it's a good program as well. I do have experience with Insanity, also.

P90X- what I liked about it is that it is a well thought out plan and it's got a lot of variety. 3 days of resistance training, 1 day of plyo, 1 day of yoga and 1 day of Kenpo. The 7th day is a rest day or optional stretch day. Two of the resistance programs switch out in the 2nd phase of the program, offering more variety. And there are also some different vids for the recovery weeks. You can modify and make changes- lots of people do. Personally I do the program as planned and then add my other exercises. There is no rule that says you can't do more than the program specifies. If I were going to dump a day of cardio to go running, I'd pick the Kenpo day because it's actually a pretty light workout anyway. But Kenpo is a pretty fun workout so I'd be more inclined to do it and then go running. Plyo day I'd keep for sure- it's a fantastic workout and makes a big difference in your body and fitness levels.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #8  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I loved my classic p90x run and my lean run... and I got mine on eBay for a steal, lol.

kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

I *love* beachbody products. I use the Brazil Butt Lift, Insanity, p90x, ********** and I just got Chalean Xtreme which I am going to be starting on Monday!!
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote