General chatter - To The Hockey Loving World

View Full Version : To The Hockey Loving World

Rainbowgirl
06-16-2011, 01:37 AM
First, as a die-hard Canucks fan let me start by saying congratulations to the Boston Bruins for winning the Stanley Cup. You won against a team that had everything going for them but chose not to show up tonight. You were the hungrier team and you DESERVED to win. Just as we deserved to lose.

My message here though is to ask anyone who has heard about the riots now going on in my fair city (well, not MY city but close to it) to not judge us all too harshly. These small (really, even though there are so many of them) groups of troublemakers do not represent the rest of the city, province, or country. Nor do they represent the whole fan base for the Vancouver Canucks.

Many Canucks fans are ashamed and disgusted by the behavior of these hooligans. They are giving us a bad name, but there are so many of us that are not condoning or appreciating their antics.

So, from one Canadian to the world, we're sorry. This is not a strong moment for us. Please, do not judge us too harshly.

krampus
06-16-2011, 01:39 AM
I would never judge an entire country by the actions of a few rabid sports fans!

Porthardygurl
06-16-2011, 02:35 AM
Oh Glory..im sitting here in Port Hardy BC watching these riots on the news after the dreaded game and i am ashamed..i mean seriously..a riot? and what they are calling the biggest riot in the history of the world.. Forgive us for these Vancouverites dont know what they have done..a moment in anger..

sacha
06-16-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm in Montreal but I only moved here a month ago, I am from Vancouver.

I am really horrified watching the news. I knew this would happen though, I worked in emergency services and we had planned every year for riots if the Canucks went to the cup, but it's disgusting to think that actually needed to be done.

Really shameful. I look forward to these idiots pictures being posted on TV & online to face mischief and assault charges.

fitness4life
06-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Wow. I didn't know there were riots, but I'm not surprised. It was a pretty tough series with a lot of majors along with some other pretty serious penalties and injuries.

Frankly, as a Blackhawks fan, I started out rooting for the Canucks but after watching their poor sportsmanship, I quickly started rooting for the Bruins.

It doesn't surprise me that the poor sportsmanship was contagious to an unruly few fans.

We all know the entire province is not as ignorant and no apology is necessary, but thanks because it just proves there are true, good hockey fans in Vancouver.

I'm looking forward to next season already!

BillBlueEyes
06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the gracious congratulations. Boston is in ecstasy at moment, as you might imagine, and some of us realists - despite being grateful - are a tad surprised given the strength of the Canucks over the season.

And I've been to Vancouver - there isn't a more gracious or beautiful city in North America. Few are likely to judge Vancouver or Canada because of a handful of hooligans. It's actually fun to be reminded that it's time to plan a trip back west and see it again.

LisaP916
06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm a Boston sports fan through and through, and I cried through the whole presentation of the Lord Stanley trophy last night. I could not be happier this morning...

That being said, coming from a sports town that has won multiple championships in the last ten years - two World Series, three Super Bowls, an NBA title, and now the Cup - I know how frickin STUPID sports fans can be. We've had riots (resulting in some fan deaths!) after VICTORIES. I mean really?!?! People get so caught up in the passion, be it positive or negative, and just forget all about common sense.

Thanks for the classy congrats. It was a helluva series.

Coondocks
06-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Coming from another Canadian so wishing the cup came home last night, Boston earned it, they had the heart and they out played our Canucks. Congrats are due, they earned them.

However, those rioters . . . are not fans. They are misguided, spoiled, drunken fools who would use any excuse they could. If Vancouver had won last night, they would have been in the streets full of shananigans in a 'victory' celebration rather than a loosing protest.
It does not look well upon them when the team ON THE ICE had the class to congratulate the victors only to see that kind of crap going on outside. Shame on them. I hope they can see threw the fog of their hangovers today and realize what a complete idiot they made of themselves.

Sorry, but it really bugs me that that is the image being portrayed of Candaian Hockey fans . . . disgusting.

Dorian5
06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Firstly, congrats Boston!!

Pretty sure us Carolina Hurricane fans have a bad rep as well as loud, drunk rednecks! :lol:

I was shocked about the riots, but I also read that people are already volunteering to go help clean up the area on Facebook and everything. Just a few bad apples, I don't think people will judge everyone who lives there on how these delinquents acted!

Problem with hockey games -- too much beer being sold! ;)

Lovely
06-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Woah now!

I have SEEN stupid sports fans, and NEVER judge the whole city or even every fan by the actions of a few dumb people.

No one is thinking poorly of Canada!

Those few "fans" however... Did they seriously have a tantrum over a game? I hope they feel ashamed and help clean up their mess!

JoJoJo2
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
It is a sorry situation all around when people can behave like idiots over a GAME. Congrats to the Bruins, better luck next time to the Canucks, and I hope this sort of situation never happens again, anywhere.

People can be such jerks!

CrystalZ10
06-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Woah now!

I have SEEN stupid sports fans, and NEVER judge the whole city or even every fan by the actions of a few dumb people.

I agree wholeheartedly. I feel bad for your team and how ashamed they must feel with these so called "fans" running amok and destroying property. Canada as a whole is one rocking place. There is always next year for a win. :hug:

DixC Chix
06-16-2011, 03:26 PM
I was born and raised in Detroit which has had its share of black eyes due to hooligans that have done some terrible things in the name of 'sports rivalries'. When I see the same behavior in other cities, I have never thought it represents anything other than some stupid alcohol driven behavior of a few f***ing idiots. I hope there is enough CCTV footage to identify all the criminals and I hope the judicial system throws the book at 'em.

BTW, I am a huge Red Wings fan. The best team won this year!!! Training camp starts in only three months!

Rainbowgirl
06-16-2011, 04:17 PM
There are already groups set up on Facebook for people to upload any pictures or videos they took last night so that others can identify the idiots involved.

I never paid much attention to them before this series and when it started, I started researching and my opinion gained from that was poor and stuck straight through. I don't care for Thomas, or Marchand, or Chara at all for their attitudes and their unsportsmanlike conduct. That said,however, they are an amazing team. And they skated circles around us last night. Every team has its players that you may not like (I'm not a huge fan of Torres or Luongo) but you can still like the team as a whole for their skill and tenacity.

The Canucks deserved to lose because they simply were the poorer team. It's not like they COULDN'T win against the Bruins, they have in the past. They just chose not to show up to even give a fighting chance.

As for the riots. Small groups of people were what initially started everything, but because there were so MANY other people, it escalated into a situation where no one could go anywhere and the rioting just kind of blossomed. Right now, there are people in downtown Vancouver cleaning up - street crews and glass repair companies have been working all night, but there are some fans and other vancouverites who have showed up with plastic gloves and kitchen garbage bags to pick up garbage and glass and any other bits of debris they can.

I have at least 1 friend on facebook who, after writing down the names, deleted "friends" off his account for posting pictures of themselves next to burning cars or smashing windows. Those names are going to the police.

There were so many people last night with camera-phones and cameras out that, while not everyone will be found or charged, a good many of them WILL be. And so they should.

I think, regardless of what happened last night, even if we had won, those hooligans would have rioted anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's just sad to think we hosted the world last year, had hundreds of thousands of people in the downtown core for 2 weeks, and no rioting broke out. But we riot over the Stanley Cup. So sad. So shameful.

LisaP916
06-16-2011, 04:28 PM
I never paid much attention to them before this series and when it started, I started researching and my opinion gained from that was poor and stuck straight through. I don't care for Thomas, or Marchand, or Chara at all for their attitudes and their unsportsmanlike conduct.

Marchand can be a bit of a thug, I will admit, but to call Chara and Thomas unsportsmanlike is kind of laughable. Thomas gets a TON of credit for not rising to the bait that Vignault and Luongo have been throwing at him all series.

WE weren't the team throwing blind hits all over the ice. Just sayin'.

Rainbowgirl
06-16-2011, 04:41 PM
I would rather this not turn into a flame-fest over which team has the worst players. Someone started the comments on sportsmanship and I only responded with my opinion. I guess I missed the memo that said I must like everyone on the other team, and that I am not allowed to have any thoughts or feelings about the other team that aren't positive or praise-worthy.

My opinion is as I stated, and I will not go into further detail on why I believe that way. If you want to know then send me a private message, but this thread was not started for that reason.

It was started to apologize for the shameful behavior of a few inebriated hooligans who even hours before the game were creating Facebook pages and overheard on transit already talking about the rioting they would do, and I will not be getting into a verbal (textual) spar over anything else.

Also, it would be great that if you were going to quote something I said, you quote the whole section, not just what you personally disagreed with. Not only did I go on in the paragraph to praise the Bruins for being the better team, but I also expressed the fact that there are at least 2 players on the Canucks team that I dislike. I think praising the other team for being better is what really matters, not the fact that I have an independent opinion on a few players on the other team.

Thanks! :)

DixC Chix
06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I started out rooting for the Canucks but after watching their poor sportsmanship, I quickly started rooting for the Bruins.

It doesn't surprise me that the poor sportsmanship was contagious to an unruly few fans.

I've seen what is described here as poor sportsmanship in every championship series no matter which teams are playing - including the Blackhawks and the Red Wings and the Bruins. It is not solely a Canucks issue in this series. It is a strategy to intimidate, to play mind games, give 'em a little 'chin music', to get under the opponents' skin. Its not a championship game unless someone is crying "FOUL" for some reason.

Every team in every sport is trying to get just a little bit of advantage over the other and trying to not get caught if it is just a little outside the rules. That's why there are penalties in every sport.

Poor sportsmanship is if the players take it further when off ice. I've seen that only a few times and recollect an incident with Claude Lemieux (one of the league's dirtiest players) several years ago when he got in a shouting match with the opposing coach while boarding his team's bus. That is poor sportmanship. The stuff on the ice is just the game. And fodder for many a hockey conversation at your favorite watering hole.

lillyw
06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I like Thomas because you never know what he's going to do. I was seriously divided over this series, being a dual citizen lately from Halifax, which was pulling for Boston, but understanding the hunger for the Cup in Canada can't be matched by any US city, even Boston. Fun to watch, but glad it's over.

TurboMammoth
06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
I was cheering for the Canucks (being a habs fan, I'm kinda raised to not like Bruins LOL) and I was so sad for them, not being able to be as good as the rest of the season during this serie. It break my heart out seeing them on the ice after the lost.

The Bruins were definitely more powerful then the Canucks for the past week. Thomas especially really diserved to win.

The only thing I didn't like from last night was the lack of of sportmanship from the Bruins, Julien litteraly had to pull them over to go shake hands with the Vancouver guys. But anyway, season's over now, can't wait to october :)

theox
06-17-2011, 01:12 AM

This.

It seems like there are jerks everywhere who will use any handy occasion to act worse than animals, try to hurt other people, or steal or destroy other people's property.

Sporting events like the Stanley Cup games, natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina, and legitimate political activities like the student protests in the UK a few months ago all provide opportunities for bad people to do bad things.

Fortunately, there tend to be more good people around than bad ones. It was nice to read that so many Vancouverites care enough about their city to help clean up the mess made by a moronic minority.

BuggyBear81
06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
As a die-hard Canucks fan, I, too, was saddened by our loss, but when I woke up the next morning, I was mortified at the fans. Nothing to do with sports calls for that amount of destruction. If you are angry, go take it out on a punching bag. As for thinking that way about the entire city? Never. Vancouver is beautiful. I could never look at the entire city and judge based on a few idiots.

As for the Canucks - if you weren't going to show up to the game, why did you bother making it that far? argh! They'll do it next year.

EZMONEY
06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
The jerks that destroy public property and injur others are just that...jerks....

I would use other language but I know the mods would take care of it!

I love how many "fans" were arrested in Los Angeles when they destroyed property and looted after my Lakers won their last championship...all because of pictures on cell phones that good citizens turned in!

Rainbowgirl
06-17-2011, 11:57 PM
So far, there have been over 100 charges. One 17-year-old was turned in by his own parents who saw him in a picture online lighting a police car on fire. Other people have begun turning themselves in, realizing that they're going to get charged regardless.

Many volunteers showed up yesterday to help clean up and the plywood that is/was covering The Bay store windows was turned into a memorial; thousands of writings cover it now all expressing disgust, remorse, and hope that it won't happen for a third time.

The Canucks themselves talked to the media today and expressed disappointment in the riots, but noted how many true, blue and green fans there were that saluted the Bruins when they won on Wednesday and how many that tried to stop the riots and the ones that came to clean up on Thursday.

A black mark, but one that hopefully will be overshadowed by the outpouring of support and community-spirit by everyone who was ashamed of the whole incident.

WeightForMe
06-18-2011, 09:49 PM
<--Bahhhstan Fan here!! Thank you for the kind words! I truly believe they earned it. We were the underdogs going in and it was really a good story to come out on top! Went to the parade today and it was absolutely incredible!! That being said, like someone previously posting, we are no strangers to sport fan riots in Boston. I can't say with confidence it wouldn't have had a similar ending had game 7 been in Boston and we lost. Boston really has some DIE HARD fans. I felt so bad for everyone in Vancouver/Canada after the game that some drunk punks took it to a different level and really disrespected your whole country.

SouthLake
06-19-2011, 01:42 AM
I confess, we joked that rioting seemed so unCanadian. But, in reality, no one assumes that those riots reflect anything about Vancouver, the Canucks, or their fans. Really, all it reflects is that you guys have the same people that lurk under rocks in every city, looking for a reason to be destructive.

fitness4life
06-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. Just my opinion.

It's a game.

Major head trauma is a life long problem. I know. I have a loved one who has life long problems due to 15 concussions from semi pro hockey play.

Play to win? OK. Play to hurt? NOT ok.

EZMONEY
06-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. Just my opinion.

It's a game.

Major head trauma is a life long problem. I know. I have a loved one who has life long problems due to 15 concussions from semi pro hockey play.

Play to win? OK. Play to hurt? NOT ok.

:?: I didn't see anyone offended by your comments...I sure wasn't....maybe I missed something.

fitness4life
06-20-2011, 12:27 PM
:?: I didn't see anyone offended by your comments...I sure wasn't....maybe I missed something.

I don't think so either, but just in case, I wanted to clarify. I think the OP was lovely to apologize to the hockey world and I brought up the unsportsmanship conduct topic, which wasn't the original point, so sorry that I brought that up. No biggie! :)