Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #1  

Height: 6'

Default Really Frustrated!!

I rejoined WW about a month ago after being absent for a year... Last June I stopped going because I was scheduled for knee replacement in July and thought why should I pay monthly when I dont know what to expect.. well that surgery went so well that in November I had the other knee replaced.. I thought I was doing ok weightwise but that last knee really hurt, I got tendonitus and Im telling you that hurt like ****... was taking alot of pain meds.. anyway I wasnt in a good frame of mind and gained 30lbs back... anyway I had kept in touch with a few of the ladies and they said the new Points Plus was ok and couldnt wait for me to come back...

Well I started and I lost only a lb. the first week... second week .4... this really ticked me off because the 'old' program I lost 5 the first week and kept losing every week with little effort it seemed on my part..

The leader recommended to me NOT to eat so much fruit.. hmmm then WHY are they ZERO points????? if you cant eat them??? I do know I eat a heck of a lot more fruit than before.. I have eaten more apples in these last couple weeks than I have in a year... I figure its better to eat fruit than candy!!

One gal that has lost over 100 lbs said the first week of the new program she only lost a lb and that some women GAINED and that she is having a hard time losing as well.. Im wondering how this plan is working for you all?? Im almost ready to stop going and of course I threw out all my 'old' program books...

I realize we get more points but everything costs more points now.. I told the leader WW did this to make more money!! People have to buy new food books and a new calculator!! One gal that was there said between her and me that WW is going to have to tweek this program.. WHAT????

Im just so frustrated this go around.. Thanx for letting me vent!!

Happy losing to everyone!!
PaddiCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #2  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I actually had the same thinking you did, especially since all different brands put WW pt values on their products. I have friends who swear they love it, but honestly, just from looking through it, it doesn't make sense to me. I dug my old ebay kit out from 2004 and have been using it for 2 weeks (10lbs down). My friends have lost less than that in almost a month. I would say use your old stuff if you still have it.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheramama View Post
I actually had the same thinking you did, especially since all different brands put WW pt values on their products. I have friends who swear they love it, but honestly, just from looking through it, it doesn't make sense to me. I dug my old ebay kit out from 2004 and have been using it for 2 weeks (10lbs down). My friends have lost less than that in almost a month. I would say use your old stuff if you still have it.
Unfortunately I tossed them all... see you lost 10lbs and your friends have lost not much... Makes me wonder why WW did this you know what I mean? I always thought "If it aint broke dont fix it!"
Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

But, it was broke. The old program did have some nice features to it. But it also really allowed you to eat a lot of junky carbs that weren't very healthy. Time changes and scientific research on eating is coming out every day. WW realized that the old program was outdated.

The new plan does encourage healthier eating. That isn't to say it is perfect. Whenever WW starts a new program I'm sure they will need to tweak it with experience. There are things I don't like about it but I truly believe the desire was to have a program that was successful and reflected current science.

If you read some threads around here you will find that some people have had greater success on Points Plus (I have for example). Others are using Momentum as it works better for them.

Success on Points Plus in my opinion does require changing some eating habits particularly for those who were used to the old plan. Yes, fruits are zero point foods. However, WW is clear that fruits are to be eaten to satisfaction. Fruits have calories. It is entirely possible to overeat on fruits particularly if they are being used as a primary source of calories. If you search online and look at the WW patent it looks like they assume in the formula that people eat about 250 calories a day from fruits and vegetables combined. If you are eating more than that then that could forestall weight loss. (Personally I think a tweak they should make to the program is to provide that the first 2 or 3 servings of fruit are zero point and then count points for additional servings).

Are you meeting your good health guidelines for everything else? I find that when I really try to meet those there isn't much room in the day to eat extra foods (whether extra fruit or anything else).

I do agree it is better to eat fruit than candy...but again moderation is the key. But perhaps try some other snacks that aren't candy or fruit. Try nuts (no more than about 1/4 c), or hummus, or WW string cheese or maybe a small salad using a low fat dressing but then adding your healthy oil. You may find if you try some of these that it is more satiating than candy or fruit.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

Ive been on the points plus program since January 17th. I'm down 32. At first I barely lost, but once it started, it's been consistent. I can't complain.
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295.6/ticker/140-130

Height: 5'3"

I have done PP since March and have lost 33.5 lbs. I think the key for me is not only the "free" fruits/veggies, but also identifying the reason I overeat, usually boredom. So, not only am I eating healthier foods--a bowl of strawberries with fat free coolwhip is much better than a bowl of ice cream with jimmies--but I am also paying more attention to when I am actually hungry and when I am just bored. The combination of the two has made me much more successful than I had been on Momentum. Just like all healthy eating, everything in moderation.

Saying all this, if you try PP and don't like it, there's no rule that you have to stick with it. If Momentum works better for you, I say go for it. I'm sure you can find an old Momentum kit on ebay or another website to replace what you threw out.

Good luck!
Erin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #7  

Thanx everyone!! I think knowing that fruits are zero I might be eating too many of them... and yep Erin I know alot of my eating is boredom!!

Hopefully I will get into the swing of things and start losing..because when you see that you have lost that is great motivation...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #8  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

I've lost 21 lbs since February. It would be more, but I had some gains in March, through no fault but my own.

Personally I love PP and don't feel hungry on it, like I often did with Momentum. It's definitely something I can stick with.

I think it's important to remember that gains every now and then are part of the process, as frustrating as it is. Second, it's not healthy to be losing 5 lbs week after week. 1-2 lbs / week is the recommended amount. Last time I did WW I lost weight pretty fast, but ultimately gained it all back (hence why I'm here). I would MUCH rather have it come of slowly and know it will STAY off.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

My WW leader said once, when someone asked why fruits are free. She said that WW assumes that people are not going to sit in front of the TV and eat an entire bag of oranges or apples. I guess you have to be realistic. Yes they are free, but they also hold a lot of natural sugars and they still have calories. Just because they are free does not mean you should eat a ton of it. Everything in moderation.
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #10  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

There is a different between "zero points" and "free". These foods still have calories, and if you're eating six apples a day, that's a lot of calories.

If the choice is a candy bar or an apple, of course choose the apple. Just don't choose six apples.

I'm having great success on the program. My leader has said it's the people who have followed the older programs multiple times that are having the most trouble with the change, but after a while they come to see it's a GOOD change.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time with the transition right now.

I actually really enjoy Points Plus.

I LOVE that it's adding in a little bit more incentive to eat HEALTHFULLY, and not just to eat whatever fills up the points.

Sure, fruit are zero points now, and that's good if it encourages people to eat more fruit, but not to the point that they're eating so much they're still taking in too many calories. We still have a responsibility to use the plan wisely and not try to find ways to exploit it. If we find out through experimentation that we're eating too many fruits, then we cut back on a few. The plan allows some zero point fruits.. it does NOT allow us to eat them with abandon, just as it does not allow us to eat ANY food with abandon.

WW is a company. They are here to make some money, yes. But, no one would be a member, and they wouldn't be making money if the plan didn't actually work. When it comes to weight loss plans WW has one of the healthiest mindsets I have EVER seen. They came up with a system that incorporates fat/carbs/protein. That gives enough room to allow normal food, and an occasional treat. They promote healthy fats, healthy fruits and vegetables, drinking water and moving more. They promote moderation, and the idea that we can still choose healthfully while going out to eat once in a while. That food is still delicious and healthy. That we don't need as much food as we think we do. And of course, one of the crowning gems of WW is the support they offer. Via meetings and online. Support support and more support. Because during those tough times, we need someone there to say "Hey. Do it. It'll eventually fall into place and the weight will come off, but for now you're healthier than you were before."

But, WW... like any plan!... is only as good as the effort we put into it.

I've had to change a few things about the foods I picked up due to the changes in the plan. And I think I'm healthier for it! I don't think they have to tweak the program, I think people have to tweak the way they're looking at the program.

It's unfair to compare your weight lost now to your weight lost before. Unfair to the plan, and unfair to you. Losing weight doesn't have to be fast. It just has to be permanent. I disagree with the overuse of the word "only". Only 1 pound? That's a lot of weight. If you can keep that 1 pound off forever, then that 1 pound is precious and should be celebrated.

Change is hard, but necessary. They added a lot of solid, well-researched ideas into Points Plus, and I commend them for an even stronger approach towards choosing healthier, filling foods. The onus is on us to apply the program to our lives properly, and (again like anything else) make changes where they're necessary.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 177.4/CW/135.0

What Lovely said ))
dixiecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/174/125

Height: 5'1"

When I first started WW in July 2010 I had a consistent loss (average 4lbs a month) up until we were given points plus in Nov. I gave the new points plus a four month try and saw that I was loosing and gaining the same three lbs so I went back to momentum. I kept a record of both programs and with momentum I got 21pts which is equivalent to 23 points plus. Needless to say I am loosing again on momentum and will stick with this plan.

Last edited by JERZGERL; 06-16-2011 at 08:08 PM.
JERZGERL is offline   Reply With Quote