100 lb. Club - Surgery vs. On my Own (anyone lost a LOT of weight on their own)

Curvaliscious
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi!

Ok, so I have 80-100pnds to lose and have struggled with my weight all my life. I lost 80pnds once by simply counting calories and walking. We moved across country and all calorie counting went out the window. Of course I gained most of it back. Years later I'm still struggling.

So...I've never ever considered weight loss surgery until now. Why? I have a friend who had a specific kind of wls done that is less invasive and safer. However, after talking with her and doing tons of research I understand that it still takes a LOT of work. Whether I have the surgery or not I've got to do something.

Of course people on the weight loss surgery boards tell me it is highly unlikely I could do this on my own and keep it off. A surgeon told one poster only 3% of obese people lose the weight and keep it off. I am actually in the process of getting the surgery (classes, etc) and am to meet with the surgeon this week.

I want to do this on my own. I've lost 20+pnds in the last several months by simply counting calories. Can I keep it up? I don't know.

Anyone ever consider surgery? Have you lost a LOT of weight on your own and kept it off? I really need support,

Thanks!

DCchick
06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey there! I dont know alot about surgeries, so cant really comment on that, but I can say that if youre doubting it (which you are) maybe put it on hold for now. Even if you decide to go with the surgery in the future, wait until you are sure. Of course if your doctor is telling you you have to get it, listen to him/her!

There are a TON of people (and I mean a whooollle lot) on this forum that have lost ALLLLOT of weight and kept it off without surgery. Start browsing around here! Good luck!

envelope
06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
To have surgery or not is a very personal choice, no one but you can make it.
This is why I have never considered weight loss surgery as an option for me...
I had a coworker who had weightloss surgery, lost a lot of weight and over the next 8 years has put most if not all of the weight back on because he did not follow the long term plan for after the surgery. I am sure there are a lot of people who are successful, but there are also a lot of people who are successful doing it on their own.

I am going to do it on my own with CCing and increased movement, and I will be successful. Each lb I take off is a success! I am not perfect, I have put some weight back on during high stress periods, but that is something that I need to learn to deal with in a healthier way. I can do it. I bet if you want to you can too.

bargoo
06-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I have lost 90 pounds by diet alone , and others have lost much more than that by dieting only. Here's the kicker ......surgery is no guarantee that you will keep it off, many don't. Most of us dieters do some form of exercise some more than others, but diet and exercise is an effective way to lose weight.

eclipse
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I considered surgery, but decided against it. I think it's a good option for some people, and I know an awful lot about it because I did a lot of research while I was thinking about it. I, however, hit my goal weight today - 136.6 lbs lost without surgery. I know there are a lot of other people around here who have done the same thing, and hopefully they'll chime in. I think if you *can* do it without surgery, it's probably better that you do. Surgery isn't an easy out - it's hard work in and of itself and there are side effects that can be dangerous or debilitating. For some people who do the risk/benefit analysis on it, surgery comes out on top and ends up being great for them.

Michi702
06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
To echo what envelope said, I've heard stories of people that get the surgery and don't follow up then end up putting weight back on. The same is true with people who opt to do it on their own. The thing is, with either of these options, you can't have a mind set of 'Once I reach X lbs I'm done dieting forever'. If it's not a comprehensive, life long change then it won't stick.

I also agree with DCchick - you sound unsure of the surgery, so it might be wise to wait a little longer unless for some reason your doctor is saying you need the surgery right now.

Hope that helps!

guamvixen
06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I did it in a year. I am your height and we had the same starting out weight. I just changed my eating habits, and lifestyle. I'm much more active now. I've been maintaining for 1.5 years. Every day is a struggle because old habits die hard, but i've come this far.

Lovely
06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
If you're seriously considering surgery there's a WLS section here where you might be able to find more information...

Surgery is an option. It's a tool that some people find they need in order to lose weight. But, the onus is still on the PERSON to do the work. Some things might be easier with help from WLS and other things are going to be much harder.

Taking weight off and keeping it off is hard no matter what. WLS does not guarantee that the weight will stay off. It's very possible that even above and beyond all the potential complications of the surgery itself, that the procedure may not work and that the tool may not be enough for some people.

So WLS is not an "easy way out".

For me? Never been an option. I will not go under the knife for something that I know I can do. I lost 100 lbs before. It was my own carelessness that was the cause of the regain, and it would've been the same with surgery as it was without.

This time is different. Scary different. **** the statistics. I can do this.

Curvaliscious
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone! I am definitely encouraged by your successes.

Let me be clear. I know wls is NOT an easy way out. It is a scary and desperate option that is ONLY a TOOL to help me toward my goal. I've been to the forums and read what people go through.I know it's not easy at all. Like I said, it will take a lot of work whether or not I have the surgery. The kind of surgery I am considering is not lap band or the traditional ones. It's permanent and gaining weight would be difficult. Of course, there is a great risk whether or not I do the surgery. I don't want to visit the WLS forum on here too much, for I want support from those of you who've been successful on your own. I so badly want to do this on my own and I need to make progress more consistently.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sandi
06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
There are many people who say that surgery saved their lives. For them, it was just the tool they needed. And you are right, it is not the easy way out. They work their butts off to keep that weight off. It's just that for them, they needed that push to get them going. The question you have to decide for yourself is, do you need the tool of surgery to help you get to where you are going? Losing weight is work, with or without surgery. Surgery is just a tool. Do you need that tool?

People with weigh loss surgery can gain all their weight back. So can people who lost it on their own.

There is no easy way, you have to make the change. The surgeons will tell you that there is no hope for you without surgery. You and I both know that's garbage, just look at the successful losers on this board!

Resolute
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
I lost my weight by changing my lifestyle, IMO, if you want it bad enough it's more than possible, when i started out it was either do it or die trying or just lay down and die period.

Everyone always wants someone else to do it for them, a secret pill, magic surgery, hired trainer to motivate, all pointless because it's you that needs to do what has to be done day in and day out. It's called life and only you can live your own properly.

Eat properly and maintain an active lifestyle.

Arctic Mama
06-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Well I was at your start weight (which wasn't even my highest weight, eek!) when I began calorie counting two and a half years ago. And I'm down to 191, so far. I still have more weight to go, of course, but calorie counting is absolutely a sustainable and long term solution to losing and managing weight. Surgery isn't on my radar, far too dangerous and too many side effects, for me to consider at this point. It's not a tool suitable for me, but your mileage may vary. For me, at least, counting and journaling my food and recording my weight is enough. It's not easy, it does take time and requires serious changes in my daily habits, but then again so does WLS! Given that both methods require effort and permanent change, I went with the less invasive option.

Like Sandi, I know WLS saves lives and has been a fabulous tool for many people on this site. For me, however, it's not nearly as suitable as calorie counting, and I am happy to continue in it. There are many people here who have lost more, faster, and kept it off, just look around the Goal section of the site. I'm slower and newer, but I still consider my own weightloss quite successful :)

April Snow
06-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I, however, hit my goal weight today - 136.6 lbs lost without surgery.

pardon the interruption but WOW!!!! Congrats!!!!

back to the original question, like everyone else said, WLS doesn't guarantee keeping the weight off. Even the "permanent" kind - I'm assuming you are referring to where they actually cut your stomach apart and leave you just a small pouch. But that isn't permanent because people can and do stretch that pouch out by overeating.

You KNOW you can lose weight because you lost 80 lbs. But while I know it's not a lot of fun while you are going through it, I think that it really the (relatively) easy part - maintaining that weight is the hard part, and something I haven't personally been successful with either.

I'm not anti-WLS, I just don't think it's a fix for the problem of maintaining a loss, I think it's a fix for the first part, the losing part, for the people who aren't able to manage that part on their own.

Curvaliscious
06-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Eclipse....Congratulations!! Seriously incredible and encouraging. Resolute , Guam....as well as all of you!

April, they take the most elastic part, so while it can stretch some, it does have limits. Of course, I could put candy bars in it all day and sabotage myself as well.

I wish there was an in-person calorie counting support group (similar to Weight Watchers, but not points). I need all the support I can get.

Feeling encouraged and determined. Keep it comin'!

CherryPie99
06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
I have lost 142 pounds so far on my own. Early last year, a co-worker had lap band. When she was going to classes, she showed me what was involved both with gastric bypass and lap band. Personally, I was like "**** NO!" would I ever go through that. But with that option out, I knew I had to get my butt in gear. So far so good...

Lovely
06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Eclipse....Congratulations!! Seriously incredible and encouraging. Resolute , Guam....as well as all of you!

April, they take the most elastic part, so while it can stretch some, it does have limits. Of course, I could put candy bars in it all day and sabotage myself as well.

I wish there was an in-person calorie counting support group (similar to Weight Watchers, but not points). I need all the support I can get.

Feeling encouraged and determined. Keep it comin'!

See if there's a TOPS group in your area. (tops.org)

mandalinn82
06-15-2011, 06:10 PM

You might want to look for a local TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) group. They don't endorse any particular plan, and provide in-person support.

http://www.tops.org/default.aspx

mandalinn82
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Lovely - great minds!

JamiSue3916
06-15-2011, 06:14 PM
So many great share experiences in this thread. The 100lb Club is definitely a good place to go for inspiration on losing a ton of weight. It is possible and you CAN do it if you truly want to!

I also have never considered wls as an option. I figure that after the surgery, I'm still going to be me. The same head and heart that got me fat in the first place will still be there guiding my decisions. If I can't fix myself...wls surgery certainly won't either.

Good luck with your decision. But know this...we believe in you! If you're looking for support and inspiration...or a swift kick in the a$$....this IS the RIGHT place for you! :hug:

Lovely
06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Lovely - great minds!

:lol: :cheers:

Lori Bell
06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi.

I considered the lap band at one time, but decided against it because of the cost. It was not covered by our insurance plan...So I decided to do it on my own. Well, not really, because I did have the support of my family and 3FC. I count calories. It took me 17 months to reach my goal, and have maintained a 190 pound loss for almost 2 years now. Maintaining is HARD WORK, but worth every ounce of effort I put into it.

I wish you the best in what ever you decide to do.

runningfromfat
06-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I'll throw in another chip into the "you can do it!" pot. ;) So far I've lost over 50lbs and am working my way down. My final goal will be a total of 100lbs lost. It sounds like you're already on the right track and you know how to lose weight so as long as you stick with it you're set!

I've lost my weight through exercise and working on my food choices. It's a slower journey than most because I haven't done calorie counting but I've really been working on listening to my body when it's full and making the right choices.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide but definitely stick around here because there are tons of amazing stories!

ShesLosingIt
06-15-2011, 08:15 PM
It's hard work and it may take a long time but you can do it!!

I've lost 180 lbs and hope to lose at least another 40 before reevaluating my goals. I don't know about keeping it off since I'm still losing but I hope that with physical activity and everything in moderation, I'll be successful.

Good luck to you!

Tai
06-15-2011, 08:39 PM
I considered WLS, but didn't have insurance coverage for it. I used calorie counting to lose all 140 pounds and have been maintaining for almost three years now.

Good luck with your decision!

lottie63
06-15-2011, 11:32 PM
I've lost 72 lbs, most of it since october 19th. It's possible.

I just read an article on cnn about how a study found that wls does not extend life expectancy. That's something to consider.

starbrite
06-16-2011, 01:36 AM
I hit goal last week, after 14 months of lifestyle changes and 145lbs lost. I also considered surgery, but was too scared to go through with something that wouldn't deal with my emotional issues with food. Thankfully 3FC has helped me do that.

jitterfish
06-16-2011, 05:05 AM
You can do it without the surgery, but if you opt for surgery don't feel bad for choosing that option. I have seen people (on other boards) berate people for taking the surgery path, I don't agree that it is the "easy" option at all which some people seem to think.

But to share a story I just read on another board, 600lb guy down to 350lbs through lifestyle changes. I'm stoked at losing 77lbs and seeing this guy dropping twice as much as me and still going gives me inspiration that I can do it. YOU CAN TOO!

runningfromfat
06-16-2011, 07:14 AM
You can do it without the surgery, but if you opt for surgery don't feel bad for choosing that option. I have seen people (on other boards) berate people for taking the surgery path, I don't agree that it is the "easy" option at all which some people seem to think.

But to share a story I just read on another board, 600lb guy down to 350lbs through lifestyle changes. I'm stoked at losing 77lbs and seeing this guy dropping twice as much as me and still going gives me inspiration that I can do it. YOU CAN TOO!

I think that's very well put. I would never want someone to feel bad about their decision to have WLS if that's what they need to lose weight.

That being said, I was thinking about this some more this morning. I just wanted to add that for me my long journey has been necessary. I'm constantly reevaluating my food choices, my exercise routine etc. If my weight loss stalls I have to rethink what I'm doing. The longer process made me realize that some things I was eating to much of even though they didn't seem like bad choices initially. So even though I'd love to wake up tomorrow morning slim, I'm not sure if that would be the best thing for me? (BTW, I know WLS doesn't do that... I'm just saying that maybe quicker journey wouldn't lead to maitence for me afterwards)

dini22
06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I so badly want to do this on my own

To me, this says it all!

I echo what most folks on here have said: WLS is a great option for some folks. But it certainly seems like your first inclination is to do it without surgery. And look at the progress you've made so far! That right there is proof that you can do it.

For most of us, weightloss isn't a one time deal. It is a process. At my heaviest, (hmmm...9 years ago) I was around 330. I lost close to 100 pounds through diet and exercise. I put a lot of it back on when my life went haywire. But there are 40 of those pounds I NEVER saw again. To me, that is a success. This time around, I've lost over 50 (since January 3) and I'm still going strong.

As others have said, don't do the surgery if you are still on the fence about it.

:)

Trazey34
06-16-2011, 10:45 AM
So many great share experiences in this thread. The 100lb Club is definitely a good place to go for inspiration on losing a ton of weight. It is possible and you CAN do it if you truly want to!

I also have never considered wls as an option. I figure that after the surgery, I'm still going to be me. The same head and heart that got me fat in the first place will still be there guiding my decisions. If I can't fix myself...wls surgery certainly won't either.

Good luck with your decision. But know this...we believe in you! If you're looking for support and inspiration...or a swift kick in the a$$....this IS the RIGHT place for you! :hug:

Ok how AWESOME was this post???? the same head & heart that got me fat will STILL BE THERE guiding my deicions!!! that's awesome, I want to laminate it LOL

I know WLS does save some lives, but before I'd let a knife cut out my insides, I'd have to think long and hard about "have I REALLY tried?" I mean, REALLY tried? Not half-assed, give up in a few months, back to old habits try, I mean REALLY tried?? Figured out the heart & mind issues?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I urge you to really think and know yourself inside and out and know that your heart & mind will be right there with you along side a scalpel

As another cautionary tale, my good friend lost over 100 pounds with WLS and within 2 years was even heavier than she started. All with about 1/4 cup of food at a time. Where there's a will, chocolate will find a way

Gale02
06-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Where there's a will, chocolate will find a way

:rofl: This is my life right now! :rofl:

cathi888
06-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Wow. Amazing the thought put into this subject. I opted to do it, but just because I couldn't afford it. I am humbled by the insight I leard from this group everyday.

JamiSue3916
06-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Ok how AWESOME was this post???? the same head & heart that got me fat will STILL BE THERE guiding my deicions!!! that's awesome, I want to laminate it LOL

Thanks Trazey! I have actually read a very similar type of message in many your posts as well and we seem to be of the same mind on this issue.

I have come to realize the we are often capable of much more than we think we are. Not to say it isn't a perfectly reasonable option for some people in some situations but for me, it would be a last resort and only if I could look myself in the mirror and answer that question you posed, "Have I really tried?" with an honest, "Yes. Yes, I have given it my best."

Emme
06-16-2011, 12:04 PM

This is awesome! It's exactly how I feel. I have been able to lose 104 pounds (as of this morning) on my own and it has been such an emotional journey. I've had to fight with my inner thoughts and feelings (the ones that ended up getting me obese in the first place), and dealing with my emotions and head has been an incredible journey. If I would have had surgery, the feelings and emotions would have still been there. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Trazey34
06-16-2011, 01:35 PM
hahaha i didn't realize what a crappy typer i am til i saw my words quoted LOL what are "deicions!!!" anyway? hahahah DECISIONS

blancheneige
06-16-2011, 04:19 PM
You have to do it on your own both ways, but weight loss surgery is a tool you can utilize if you opt for it. Of course it comes with risks and no guarantees, but results can be promising and many people have experienced success with weight loss surgery. There are different kinds of weight loss surgery-- gastric bypass, lapband, the sleeve, etc. In general, gastric bypass is the most extreme, most risky & potentially damaging with the most side effects, but it is also the most effective form of weight loss surgery. Lapband is the least extreme, is reversible, low risk & serious side effects are rare, but it is the least effective form of weight loss surgery.

The problem with weight loss surgery is that although it physically forces you to lose weight to one extent or another, you can't live the rest of your life like that. The human body is amazingly resilient, and can adapt to the changes made in a WLS patient's body, often by dramatically slowing down the metabolism. The weight loss eventually stalls or stops altogether, and the pounds slowly come back. So in a sense, weight loss surgery is like an extreme surgical diet-- diets can work in the short term, allow you to lose weight, etc, but they don't show you how to change your lifestyle. Weight loss surgery by itself doesn't change your lifestyle, or even your eating habits.

I have family members who have chosen to have weight loss surgery, and I am supportive of them, but I personally am avoiding WLS. I want to lose the weight, be a happy, healthy and active person who can go to a restaurant and enjoy my food (eating moderately), having a few glasses of wine, having a good time. You can't do that when you have WLS surgery. Instead, you have to think all the time about how many grams of protein you got in today, you have to remember to take all your vitamins, you have to keep going to your surgeon for fills (if you have lapband), you have to go to the dr much more frequently than a person without WLS, you might have problems throwing up your food, digesting food, absorbing nutrients from food, you might have problems with your esophagus, your hair might fall out, you might have severe skin issues due to very rapid weight loss, you might be dehydrated-- all kinds of complications & issues.

JamiSue3916
06-16-2011, 11:11 PM
hahaha i didn't realize what a crappy typer i am til i saw my words quoted LOL what are "deicions!!!" anyway? hahahah DECISIONS

Yea, me too! "wis" instead of this. Sheesh!

shannonmb
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM

I thought the same thing, Trazey, as I read through these posts. Way to go, JamiSue, I love it!

OP, sounds like you are really looking deep inside yourself for the answer. It also sounds like you have an inner voice saying "How 'bout one more really good try?" That's kinda what happened to me when I was first getting started this time. I just knew that I was FED UP, this was CHANGING NOW, and then it was just a matter of deciding how to go about making the change. I considered surgery as well, but decided to give it that one last try with my whole heart, mind and body into it. I haven't looked back since. I'm down 116 lbs, and even though that's not even close to goal, it is UNBELIEVABLE the increased stamina, and positive outlook, and probably most importantly, the self esteem that has come along with setting out to do this for myself and just doing what I said I was going to do. No excuses, no BS. I am doing what I said I was going to do. I made a promise to myself and I am keeping it. I don't even recognize that sad, miserable, frightened person I was last year, and it's all because I made a decison to change. What tools you use are just logistics, IMO. :D

lottie63
06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I heard a good quote from a story on wls once and it said something along the lines of, surgery isn't going to fix a lifestyle problem, only a lifestyle change can do that. I totally agree. If your eating issues are emotional, until you deal with that stuff, I don't know how much surgery will help over the long run.

JamiSue3916
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I thought the same thing, Trazey, as I read through these posts. Way to go, JamiSue, I love it!

Thanks, Shannon! It took me a long time to be truly honest with myself but I made it. Plus, I think for most people...weight loss boils down to choice. Simple, basic, honest choice. If you're not choosing to be healthy you ARE choosing to be unhealthy. Once I realized that, I felt empowered again. This didn't "happen" to me. I'm not some kind of unsuspecting victim.

That said, I know many folks out there have medical issues that cause unhealthy weight but that was definitely not the case for me.

Curvaliscious
06-18-2011, 04:17 AM
You all have no idea how much I wish I could hug all of you!! And I'm not a hugger!! :)

I have never felt so torn about something in my entire life. Torn because I think I need to do something drastic soon and torn because I want to do this on my own and be a real example to my kids. Everything in my heart and mind is screaming 'no'! Then I think about how I've always said "I wish someone could just cut it all off. Just make me not feel hungry". Now there is that option and I"m thinking, "Oh crap!" .

I have a hard time with the fact that it (the surgery) would be so permanent. I don't like the idea of NEVER and NO. I like and need balance. That seems healthier to me. God made sugar and salt, etc. We should be able to enjoy it in moderation. I'm down 22 pnds now basically eating what I want, but just less of it. Sure, I could be losing it faster, but I'm not into everything being fat free, sugar free, dairy free, etc. I eat what my family eats...just by half.

I have a friend who was posting on FB tonight about how excited she is to be having surgery soon. I have to be honest..that's going to be very, very hard for me to see the results. She is the type that shouts everything from the rooftops and everyone will be complimenting her. Sounds awful on my part, I know. I don't know how to not beat myself up over the fact that she will be a size 8 by Christmas and I'll still be a chunk (hopefully less, but still a chunk).

Why and how will this new way of eating be different this time? I'm not totally sure, but I know I want and need it to be different with all of my heart.

Like I said, I have been taking the wls classes required by my insurance. I even saw the surgeon this week and not one ounce of me feels excited about it. In fact, the whole experience made me feel sad. I do, however, like taking the classes and am thinking of just joining Weight Watchers. I spoke to someone at the wls surgery class today and mentioned that I'm still undecided. She said I've been doing so well on my own and we then talked about how it just comes down to motivation. I can't believe my husband and kids aren't motivation enough! But the threat of resorting to surgery is. Whatever it takes I guess?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to write!! I am thrilled to see that I CAN do this!! I'm so impressed with the progress you all have made. You are amazing.

Lori Bell
06-18-2011, 09:06 AM
God made sugar and salt, etc. We should be able to enjoy it in moderation. :D God made heroin and cocaine too, and I've never seen a person be able to enjoy it in moderation. Sugar is not a food group and it is one thing that people absolutely do not need to live, but refuse to live without it....even though it has been found to be MORE addictive than heroin. :)

ANYWAY, lol If you get your grove on and keep working a weight loss program, and stick with it 100% day after day, there is a very good possibility you can be a size 8, (or pretty darn close) by Christmas too. It is very possible. I'm just hoping that this weightloss attempt is not motivated by your friends upcoming WLS. In my past experiences, These types of motivators, are usually not very successful...

Curvaliscious
06-18-2011, 12:47 PM
LOL! Well now that's stretching it a bit. Cocaine and heroine are synthesized from naturally occurring substances...coca plants. Man changed something made for one reason(I'm assuming) and turned it into something else. It was created for medical purposes , but of course someone had to find a way to ingest it for other reasons! I'm guessing good ol, natural sugar can be consumed in moderation and it's OK! :) Of course we don't need it to live. While food should be eaten for fuel, it can be pleasurable too. Of course, processed sugar is a whole other story!! I DO need to lay of processed foods in general. Ugh!

Anyway...: )

No my weight loss is not motivated by her surgery. We aren't that close of friends and I began the process long before she decided to do her thing. I'm like the tortoise who started the race in March and she is the hare who will start in July and "finish" a year sooner. Just frustrating that's all.

: )

Trazey34
06-18-2011, 01:35 PM
hmmm i'd totally cheat, and just follow her after care plan hahhahah OK I"M KIDDING (mostly) but a little healthy competition can be good for the soul. Why am I so evil that I even THOUGHT that hahahahah what can I say ;) I kind of like the idea of shrinking without an internal organ being cut in half

Pacifica Bee
06-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm still in the process of losing and considered surgery myself but after watching vlogs of people who had a surgery I realized they still had to do loads of hard work, got sick from poor nutrition, and then put the weight back on. I decided that what I really needed to do was do this MYSELF. You do have to do the work anyway, and I firmly believe that a successful weight loss journey takes place 99% in your brain. I think that a lot (not all, of course) people who have the surgery don't do the mental work that needs to be done and tend to rely on the surgery as their main tool, instead of their own willpower.

It is complete bunk that you can't do this on your own. Take some time looking in the success story sections and in the maintenance forum here. LOADS of us have done this on our own. I am a good example (although I am still working on it, and ALWAYS will be) of what can be done without surgery. The link to my progress pictures also has the short version of my story, and my blog linked below has more details.

YOU CAN DO THIS and we are all here to help ;)

linJber
06-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Don't sell yourself short. Here are some things to think about for the LONG TERM:

She is going to have a difficult time during recovery. You will have those same weeks with your kids and husband doing the things you love.

She is NEVER going to have a day where she can eat everything she wants and not have serious "side effects" from that one meal - at least short term. You, on the other hand, can have the day where the pizza (Chinese buffet, chocolate ice cream, etc.) calls your name and you answer. You just start again immediately following that one bad choice instead of spending days in the BR with the food your body couldn't tolerate being eliminated, one way or another.

You will lose in a slower, healthier manner, allowing you to exercise and tone up, meaning less bagging and wrinkled skin after you're finished.

You will have had the time to practice real eating changes, motivated by your attitude and not by surgery. This will be the lasting test.

Keep on keeping on,as we used to say in the 60's. If I can do this at 60 years old, you can, too. I just joined this forum and already feel totally more in tune with what I'm doing. I'm encouraged by everyone's success in how they've changed their attitudes. All of them are pulling me along. You will be pulled along, too. Just let it happen.

Lin

Violet73
06-26-2011, 10:25 AM
I have friends who have had WLS, gastric bypass and Lap Band. It isn't a walk in the park. I actually think you become more obsessed with food. They are hungry and they have to watch what they eat. GB can cause you to become vitamin deficient and lose your hair. You basically are having to watch portions and calories so why not just do that without surgery and all the complications. WLS is still a very hard process. I would never do it, especially after all I have seen and been told from my friends...

Trazey34
06-26-2011, 03:16 PM
oh one other thing....it's kinda gross and borderline mean, but there ya go... when I compare MY body to my friend who lost 150 pounds REALLY FAST, i'll take mine any day!! she's got sheets of skin hanging from her upper arms, and same with legs and stomach. It all filled out again when she gained the weight back, but that first glimpse sure looked tantalizing until i saw her in the shower room. I've got jiggle don't get me wrong, but losing it sloooooooow gives your skin at least some time to bounce back into place!

fatgyrl
06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
What scares me about WLS is the statistical average for weight loss is loosing 60% of what you need to loose. In simple terms for me; I need to loose 200 lbs. If I loose 60% of that I would still be 80 lbs overweight and still be obese. I know from sitting on the sidelines that WLS is not the easy way out any more than diet and exercise, which still has to be done with WLS, anyway. It is a lot to think about.

caryesings
06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, you absolutely can do it on your own.

A word of advice. Take what you learned works for you and doesn't work for you in previous attempts at weight loss and develop your own eating plan that you know you can stick with for the rest of your life. Once I did this instead of "dieting" I finally "got it" at age 49.

Violet73
06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
oh one other thing....it's kinda gross and borderline mean, but there ya go... when I compare MY body to my friend who lost 150 pounds REALLY FAST, i'll take mine any day!! she's got sheets of skin hanging from her upper arms, and same with legs and stomach. It all filled out again when she gained the weight back, but that first glimpse sure looked tantalizing until i saw her in the shower room. I've got jiggle don't get me wrong, but losing it sloooooooow gives your skin at least some time to bounce back into place!

This! My friends have a lot of loose skin. One just had quite a bit of plastic surgery and the other one wants to have it done. I don't think it's just the rapid weight loss that caused the major loose skin in my friends with gastric bypass as there are some hormone issues too. It ages you fast too. The loss of absorption of vitamins and minerals is a scary thing.

caryesings
06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I have a friend who was posting on FB tonight about how excited she is to be having surgery soon. I have to be honest..that's going to be very, very hard for me to see the results. She is the type that shouts everything from the rooftops and everyone will be complimenting her. Sounds awful on my part, I know. I don't know how to not beat myself up over the fact that she will be a size 8 by Christmas and I'll still be a chunk (hopefully less, but still a chunk).

I sing in a women's chorus and a few folks have had WLS. You are right, those ladies transformations are spectacular, BUT I have to tell you that overall, I think I've ended up with more compliments as there is an attitude that surgery is perceived as the "easy way", so if you're looking for the "atta-girl" to keep you going, you'll be getting them as people will admire not only your weight loss but the hard work you put in to get the job done. Not to insult anyone reading this who has had WLS as I know it's not easy but just telling you how it is perceived by most folks.

And by the following Christmas when you're in that size 8, she will most likely be on her way back up the scale one year later. Of the 3 WLS folks I know, only 1 has kept most of her post surgery weigh loss off. However because of the way WLS statistics are kept, the other folks are counted as successes as they've "only" gained back half of what they've lost. So they are better off than where they started, but neither one of them is where they want to be.

diyana
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
First off, congrats to all the people on this thread (and others) who have lost so much weight (with or without WLS). You're all an inspiration to me that I really can lose 100 lbs.

I have two good friends who have had WLS and have reached their goal weight. I also have a niece who had lap band surgery, then had horrible complications from it, and was forced to have the kind of WLS where they permanently remove part of your stomach. Watching what she can and cannot eat/drink...it's A LOT of work and a huge lifestyle change. I applaud her and my friends for their courage to take steps to improve their health. Just as I applaud others for the dedication to stick to a weight loss, health and fitness gain plan for a year or two or however long it takes.

WLS is not covered by my insurance, and I don't think I would deal with the strict diet following WLS. So I'm doing plain ol' CCing and adding exercise as much as my rehabilitating back will allow. So far so good.

I understand what you mean about your friend. I know I will not lose 45 lbs in a matter of a few months like my niece has. I'm really thrilled that she's looking and feeling so much better! I'm so happy for her. And I remind myself that the weight will come off as long as I am dedicated to these lifestyle changes. :)

You have the right attitude...there is no easy way. If it was easy/fast to lose a significant amount of weight in a healthy way...I don't think anyone would be obese. It just comes down to making healthy food choices in sensible portions, and increasing activity.

Again, Congratulations to all who are making healthier choices every day! For every lb we lose, we gain so much more in health, fitness and (for me at least) improved quality of life. :)

authentic
06-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I considered WLS (lapband) and even went for the initial consultations. But what stopped me was that everyone I know that did that has never been able to eat normal food again without getting sick. That is a HUGE sacrifice to make in my opinion, just to lose the weight more quickly.

I started my weight loss journey in December and have lost 64 lbs so far. I am not losing as fast as my ego would like, but I also can have a relatively normal food life and not have to eat baby food for the rest of my life.

It is hard to wait for the feeling of "belonging" and "being normal" that being a normal weight provides in our society, but since my weight was put on for emotional reasons to a great extent, I have to learn to live with myself and be comfortable in my body and accept myself where I am at NOW, and I think a slower weight loss journey is more conducive to the holistic healing that I have to do, than WLS would be.

Judy Lynn
06-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm still in the process of losing and considered surgery myself but after watching vlogs of people who had a surgery I realized they still had to do loads of hard work, got sick from poor nutrition, and then put the weight back on. I decided that what I really needed to do was do this MYSELF. You do have to do the work anyway, and I firmly believe that a successful weight loss journey takes place 99% in your brain. I think that a lot (not all, of course) people who have the surgery don't do the mental work that needs to be done and tend to rely on the surgery as their main tool, instead of their own willpower.

This is so true!

I have read the WLS board on and off for years because at one point I was starting to consider it. There was one lady who almost died from complications. I wish I could remember the poster's name so you could read it. Sure the chances are slim that it would happen to you - but it could happen. Even if the complications aren't as severe as that, many of them have some sort of complications. Then there is the dumping ... :p

You sound like someone who could benefit from Weight Watchers. Many people like the group support, and they have lots of good things to teach.

Whether you choose surgery or doing it yourself the journey is going to be hard. Keeping it off is going to be hard - either way. You just need to really do some soul searching and decide which is best for you.

mypinkpolkadot
06-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I lost 140 pounds by myself, by walking + calorie counting + portion control.

I then gained 40 back due to personal stuff.

I've lost about 20 of that.. and I'm truckin along to finish this time!

I've considered surgery so many times.. but i've done so much on my own, I feel like if i was gonna do it, i should of done it at the beginning.

I'm gonna save that money. Cause I CAN DO THIS!

and so can you :hug:

Curvaliscious
06-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Thank you all so much! I didn't know there were more posts on this thread! My friend is having the surgery tomorrow, so I came on here this morning looking for support, for I was feeling bad and second guessing myself.

The vertical sleeve surgery I was considering has, besides the risk of serious problems or death during surgery, little complications and no dumping. BUT..I've read those message boards too and those people really suffer for months after the surgery. So it's tempting in that it works the best long term, few complications, etc...BUT...they are taking out half your stomach!! It just seems crazy. And when I went to see the surgeon and sat in the waiting room I just thought there must be something wrong with everyone (including me). It just doesn't seem natural.

So I'm going to need support more than ever, for my friend will be posting pics, etc. One person here said I shouldn't lose weight for someone else, but, again, this is something I started way before my friend initiated her wls. I think it's just spurring me on.

You girls are seriously amazing.

Sandi
06-30-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't know how close you are to her, but maybe it would be good to make sure you know what she goes through after the surgery to find out if you want to go through that. Although all people are different and one person could have an easy recovery and the other very hard.

I have a distant friend who recently had weight loss surgery. Sometimes it's hard to watch her lose so quickly, but console myself with the fact that I am doing my best every day and that's all I can ask of myself.

diyana
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Sandi - I totally agree with you. My niece had lap band surgery which after a year developed complications to the point where she couldn't keep ANY food or liquid down. Additionally, it cut off the blood supply to parts of her stomach, leaving her no other choice but to have a gastric bypass and have those "dying" parts removed. Even now, I see how limited her options are and how little she can eat (without risking rupture) and it's just not worth it to me. So while I am occasionally envious of her rapid weight loss and how great she looks...I worry about her since she nearly died with the lapband and I hope that she's getting the nutrition her body needs.

linJber
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't let my friend's more rapid weight loss deter me form staying to a sensible eating plan. As I said in my original post - she can't ever slip up for even one meal without consequence. You can. Both of you probably will. We're human, after all!

Think of this - if you put your mind to this, you can lose the 97 pounds to your goal in a year - or less. Ask yourself how you will feel about that accomplishment in the long run. You will have learned self control, along with how to make good choices for the rest of you life. Your kids will see this wonderful example. You will be available for your family every day without weeks off to recover. If you stumble for a day or longer, even, but get back on course, your kids will learn that's just what you do - you don't give up.

And best of all - in a couple years, most people won't even know how long it took either of you to lose the weight - just that you did it. All the drama is short lived. I hope when the friend starts posting pics, she is honest about the hanging skin, too. That should be enough to keep you focused on your personal plan.

Lin

Curvaliscious
07-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks Lin! and everyone else!

We aren't super close, so I don't know how much she'll share. But I've read the message boards from people going through wls and it's not pretty. The receptionist at the wls class I was going to said when the weight loss patients come back in, they often look like death. Her words. Hair loss and gray. Yikes.

On a happy note, I lost a pound this week...even after going away for a little vacation where I did indulge on some not so healthy foods. I'm back on plan the last few days and feeling very able to do this. I just need to remind myself that this is going to take time.

Also, I'm not exercising. I've seriously got to start walking. Yikes!

devnet
07-01-2011, 06:08 AM
My aunt had WLS last year, she's lost over 80 pounds now I think. Unfortunately she's having some issues with loose skin, sometimes she throws up her food, etc. She had a gastric sleeve procedure though. Basically, the only thing left of her stomach is the 'neck' of it. She had cysts all over her stomach so they had to chop most of it away. At any rate, WLS works well for a lot of people, but it's not something I'd ever consider for myself. Too much risk for me to want to deal with.

rachael
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Well, since there have been a lot of bad stories shared about WLS, I'll share my decidedly good one.

I had gastric bypass on 5/13/10. The recovery was harder than I expected, but not as bad as many people have. I was back at work in less than a week (tired and in an office job, but able to do it). The first two weeks of no food were the hardest of my life and re-learning to eat was a challenge, but it was possible. I had a few things that bothered me at first, but now about the only food that bothers me is milk (drinking only, other dairy is fine). About once every month or two something will surprise and bother me, but it is not often. I follow what the doctor said, have an occasional treat but make sure that I get all of my nutritional needs. I met my goal in March of 2011 and am now working to figure out how many calories I need to maintain. I've lost a little more than I wanted to, but I'm not endlessly losing and I am working with my doctor to maintain.

I've worked hard. I have a small amount of loose skin, but it is going away (they typically say it takes 2 years before even considering surgery anyway, so we'll see) and I know people who have lost without surgery who have it worse than I do. Maybe some people think my body is ugly, but I don't. Nor do I care if anyone else does. It sure was ugly when I was fat.

It isn't easy and it isn't something anyone should do if they are not 100% sure about it. But for me, once those initial two weeks were over, it was the first time since I was 20 that I didn't spend every moment of my life obsessing over food. I enjoy food now, but it doesn't rule my life.

Nobody should have surgery if they are not certain. But nobody should feel like they are cheating or taking the easy way out, either. Or like their weight loss is less valid than someone's who didn't have the surgery. I've struggled with those feelings, but I'm confident about it and don't care anymore. I've gotten my life back and it was the right decision for me.

rachael
07-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh, and the time I spent in recovery amounts to a couple of days of things that I couldn't do with my husband and daughter. I'd exchange those days for the lifetime of better things I can do with them any time. We've got a fun, active summer planned and for the first time I don't dread going to the pool or walking around in the heat. I'm excited to do the fun stuff with her instead of worried about being able to hold up.

linJber
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Congratulations on your success, Rachael. Usually we remember the horror stories. I'm glad you had such a good experience. Keep up the great work.

Lin

Curvaliscious
07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Congratulations Rachel! My friend who had sleeve surgery had a great recovery as well and said the only thing she regrets is not doing it sooner. Thanks for taking the time to share!