Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Current: 252/238/199

Height: 170 cm

Default Soccer Specific Workout/Training/Exercises?

Hi.
Just curious does anyone here know what I could encoroprate into my workout and exercise to help my specifically in Soccer. I know general fitness and Cardio help, but any specific exercises or routines you have used with good results? Also must study up plyometrics and Fast/Slow twitch muscle exercises, so if anyone could add anything that would be great. Great to be finally at a half decent level of playing (still to lose more weight), after it taking a back seat the last year or two.
Thanks in Advance.
irishlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I love soccer!! I played in high school. I remember the following being a huge part of practices:
- speed/interval workouts (google "suicides"- this was a big one, or sprint intervals where you have to jog until the coach blows the whistle and then sprint, then jog again when he blows the whistle, etc)
- agility workouts: setting up cones close together and running between them, which requires quick darting back and forth, building up tendons and moving muscles in different planes than they the regular front-to-back they are used to
- QUAD STRENGTHENING. gotta have those quads for massive boots down field .
- And of course, lower body strengthening in general (squats! lunges!). We did 2 practices each week in the weight room.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I think indiblue has some great suggestions. I'd really focus on interval training/sprints because that's what you're going to need in a soccer game. Also, weight lifting is great for strength and will help with your speed too. It's also a good idea to work on endurance at least 1-2 times a week (so maybe a longer run) because you definitely need that to play full 90 minutes in a game.

Beyond that you should be doing lots and lots of dribbling/shooting drills. Those aren't got to burn as many calories as your sprints/weight lifting but they're just as important for your game! When I used to play soccer in college we actually had to carry our balls around campus and dribble them everywhere.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote