Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/258/165

Height: 5 ft 4in

Default Do people know that you are on this diet??

What do you tell people when they ask how your losing weight?? I have just been telling them diet and exercise, which is true.
Maddymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #2  

I used to tell them it's kinda like Atkins, only less fat... not exactly accurate, but most people know of Atkins & accepted that... I figured it was easier than trying to explain the details... I sometimes told them the name & that they could find it on the Internet... it's been a while since anybody asked now, so I don't know what I'd say... only problem I ever had was with my dad, who once said, "Nobody ever got fat from eating watermelon".. I stood my ground, didn't argue with him, just didn't eat any... since then, he's seen how well the diet has worked for me, so I guess he's decided I know what I'm doing & doesn't insist on things like that anymore...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #3  
Started I.P 06/11/11

S/C/G: 190/158/125

Height: 5"3

There's about 10 of us ladies on the same diet where i work, so pretty much everyone knows!!!
colley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I am reluctant to tell people because I have received a lot of negative response to the whole dieting concept. I also want to be spared the lectures. This is a hard one for me because I am usually a very open person and love to share what is going on in my life, especially if I think it can be helpful to someone else... I have tried telling some people and it rarely goes well, so yeah, I usually just say that "I've been being careful with what I eat".

Even recently, my MIL felt a need to share with me that she recently read an article about the 5 worst diets to be one and low carb was listed because of how quickly people gain it back.

Everyone tells me that I will gain it all back and more... not very encouraging and I just don't want to hear it!

I hope to prove them wrong!

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 06-13-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Susie_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I did mention it to a few friends on Thursday night. Yesterday, I was at a birthday BBQ and just told my friend/neighbor "Don't ask" on why I was just eating a plain hamburger without anything else. I will tell her at some point what I am doing since another of our neighbors lost a lot of weight on IP.

I thought about going to my aunt's next weekend, but then I decided not to since I didn't want to explain what I was doing. It turns out that I can't go now anyways because DH's work schedule has changed. But that means we are going up to my in-laws for the day. I will have to fess up to her.

I still haven't told my mom about the diet either. I am hoping for a big enough change by 4th of July that will show her that I am serious and I am losing.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by colley View Post
There's about 10 of us ladies on the same diet where i work, so pretty much everyone knows!!!
That's great, having such a support group!.. what about your away-from-work circle of family & friends?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie_Bee View Post
I am reluctant to tell people because I have received a lot of negative response to the whole dieting concept. I also want to be spared the lectures. This is a hard one for me because I am usually a very open person and love to share what is going on in my life, especially if I think it can be helpful to someone else... I have tried telling some people and it rarely goes well, so yeah, I usually just say that "I've been being careful with what I eat".
That's a shame about the negative response you've gotten... I'm surprised that I haven't heard the same from people -- so far... I decided a long time ago that if anybody said anything negative, I'd just tell them, "It's hard being on a diet, but it's also difficult being fat... I'm just choosing my best difficulty"..

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #7  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I am proud to have done Ideal Protein and I tell them I did....then I tell them it is like Atkins but with fat and calorie restrictions.

Then I tell them you can only eat meat and veggies and nothing else....ever!

They usually have a hard time believing it...can you have? how about? or?

NO NO NO....just meat and veggie and packets....people definately think it is a fade diet.....but it has trained me to see food and eating very different.

Ideal Protein is amazing....a life-changer. Even though I switched to alternative the last leg of my journey....I recommend the diet and my clinic to anyone who asks.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #8  
Elissa

S/C/G: 191/145/135

Height: 5'5"

I truly think that people are jealous when you lose weight this rapidly. I have several people who support it, but I also know several people who do not support me. In fact, they talk amongst themselves about how quickly I will gain it back. Then there are those who say it's not healthy and that I'm hurting my body. Hmmmm, where was that concern when I was steadily gaining weight?? Nobody ever told me they were worried about my health then... Oh well - we have to prove them wrong.

It's very unfortunate though, because now I hesitate to tell people about the program. This program can help so many people, we should be sharing our success!!!
Elissa
LaLibE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/137/140

Height: 5' 2"

I used to mention Ideal Protein but now I tell people that I've just cut all the cr*p from my diet (usually while they are stuffing their faces with said cr*p!).
If someone is genuinely interested, I tell them everything and refer them to my clinic. I agree with the jealousy statement...I don't think it's always to do with losing weight, but mostly the fact that they don't have the discipline to get healthy themselves...I used to be like that, so I do understand how they feel
brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #10  

People will always be critical and skeptical of a diet where you limit or eliminate certain food groups and lose weight rapidly; sometimes it's out of jealousy and sometimes from experience but either way it's your job to prove them wrong by doing well, being healthy and keeping the weight off.

I've always found that overtime the skeptics become more and more interested in the diet as I've lost more and more weight.
jordanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/170/170

Height: 5'7"

I tell anyone who asks. Of course I get the "what is that" so I explain by saying, as someone mentioned before, that it's like Atkins with less fat. "Y'know, high protein, low carbs"
LeaArr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 5"

I usually joke with people and tell them "I've stopped eating anything that tastes good" Then I talk about cutting sugar and carbs and how great it has been for my hypoglycemia, how I feel like a new woman etc, etc. It stops them from asking any more questions.
My mother is the biggest naysayer- and also mentions the regain issue. I always tell her that if I regain it's because I'm eating crap, and that's not the fault of the diet. No diet ever caused anyone to gain weight... out of control eating does that.
I have a few people in my life who are really struggling with weight and I would tell them more about it and help them get into it if they asked. So far that hasn't happened and I'm not going to push.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

I tell people i am on a detox. I am ridding my body of harmful toxins. That usually doesnt require any explanation or back lash. I dont tell them its a diet at all
kdspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I tell them I am doing IP. If they try to tell me that it is not healthy I tell them that it is a doctor prescribed diet. The friend that got me started on it lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Her husband is a doctor and they run it out of his clinic. That usually is enough to get them to stop saying anything.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #15  
Maintenance since 8/2/10

S/C/G: 173/130/130

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaArr View Post
I tell anyone who asks. Of course I get the "what is that" so I explain by saying, as someone mentioned before, that it's like Atkins with less fat. "Y'know, high protein, low carbs"

THIS!!! I get alot of questions, but most people seem genuinely interested and supportive. They've seen almost 30lbs melt off me, but see me eating veggies during the day. So nobody has a leg to stand on with the whole "not healthy" thing.
cajunladybug22 is offline   Reply With Quote