Weight Loss Support - Sweating like a pig?

View Full Version : Sweating like a pig?

Porthardygurl
06-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Ive never really talked about this "issue" before..so im just curious to know as to weather or not this is a common problem with people who are overweight.. or if this is just a "me" problem...

For years i have been overweight..and for years..i have found that i have broken out into sweating..and it happens all the time. I dont even have to do anything..in fact..its almost like a cold sweat.. I sweat just walking..i sweat when im nervous..i just sweat..

Is this a problem for you??? Do you just randomly start sweating?? Or is this more like a medical issue? or something?

darius
06-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I have the same problem - sweating like a farm animal. I was a normal weight in my younger days and I never recalled sweating the way I do since I became overweight. In my case I think it's weight-related.

luciddepths
06-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I used to have this problem but since I've lost alot of weight I don't do it much at all! There is hope!

JohnP
06-12-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't know much about this topic. Ok - that's a lie. I don't know ANYTHING about this topic. :D

My personal experience is the opposite of what you might expect. When I was in really good shape I sweat up a storm quite easily. The slightest bit of exertion and I'd be dripping. When I was in terrible shape and 300 lbs I sweat a lot less and it took more to get the sweat going. Now I'm in "ok" shape and I sweat an average amount but it takes a bit to get it going.

Ursula745
06-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I don't know much about this topic. Ok - that's a lie. I don't know ANYTHING about this topic. :D

My personal experience is the opposite of what you might expect. When I was in really good shape I sweat up a storm quite easily. The slightest bit of exertion and I'd be dripping. When I was in terrible shape and 300 lbs I sweat a lot less and it took more to get the sweat going. Now I'm in "ok" shape and I sweat an average amount but it takes a bit to get it going.

Me, too. I sweat at the drop of a hat now that I'm fit. It's like my body didn't know how to regulate temp, and now that I'm fit, it does. I sweat very easily now.

zoodoo613
06-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I've always sweat a lot, but never without prompting. If it's hot, I sweat. If I exercise, I sweat. I've occasionally been victim of a nervous sweat, but fortunately not too often. I haven't noticed a change over time though.

mimi86
06-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Honey, the most I've weighed is 140, but let me tell you I sweat so much I put most men to shame. I used to be a martial artist...at the end of my high school years I went from 140 to 120 and was an extremely good physical shape...I was JACKED. And you know what? Every time I began working out doing cardio, my face turned BEET RED and I started sweating buckets...like makeup cascading down my face, hair matted, shirts soaked BUCKETS of sweat.

Its gross, it's horrible, it's why I don't join a gym and prefer to work out at home in private. It's just how my body works. I've asked a friend who is getting his masters in exercise science and nutrition, and is a personal trainer. He says that how your body decides to lose heat is completely genetic, and for me, it involves looking like I've just run a marathon after the first 10 minutes of cardio...

You might be one of those lucky ones who stops sweating like crazy once they're down near their goal weight, or you might be like me. The person who sweats all over her work clothes when walking at a leisurely pace around the grounds during the summer. No exertion, just SWEAT!

bellastarr
06-13-2011, 07:47 PM
i sweat easily too just doing nothing but i am noticin im getting a little better as i am losing weight....it's embarassing sweating for seemingly no reason

at the gym is one thing and believe me i walk out of there drenched looking like i went swimming but at gym i don't care, it's in everyday life that bothers me

mhill0823
06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm a sweaty person!! Like BAD! It's always been something I've hated but I've gotten used to.
My roommate in college was 103 lbs soaking wet.. and she sweat possibly worse that I do... It just depends on the person!!

LadyWraith
06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I sweat more now that I've lost some weight. However, that is because for the first time in awhile, I've been working out to the point of more than just breaking a small sweat. Weirdly enough, sweating is one of the main reasons I've hated working out. Now that I've become comfortable with it, I seem to do it more often though.

JohnP
06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
BTW - I personally find a woman who has worked up a sweaty lather to be quite attractive.

Just sayin. :D

dinomama
06-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes I am a "sweater" as well and I will share something absolutely true for me and my hubs when we do not eat ANY white flour, beer, or processed foods( yes I know there are a million reasons not 2 eat it but hey where are on the forum for something) after about a week the sweating slows down conciderabily! And for me right now... I sweat when I get out of the shower and could break a full on drencher on the north pole on new years day! I am no where near OP and am feeling every drop. With summer here, my curly hair and sweatiness I am close to being Hurly on Lost. Its the carbs

sweetnlow28
06-17-2011, 05:39 PM
When I was bigger, I used to sweat so bad that it was downright embarrassing! I couldn't wear make up because my face would just pour sweat all day. On several occasions, I had people ask me if I was alright. I think they thought I was going to have a heart attack or something :o. Now that I have lost the weight, I don't sweat much anymore unless I am working out. I can finally wear makeup every day. There is hope ;)

BuggyBear81
06-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes yes and YES!! I am a sweater! I sweat in the freezing cold while my friends are all wearing jackets. I sweat at WalMart. I sweat just sitting in a room. As I have lost weight, it has eased up a little, but not much. I also get an added heat intolerance in the mix. If its hot anywhere, I break out into welts and sometimes rash if the welts won't go away. I feel your pain. Its embarrassing and its a reason for me to go work out (which by the way is weird because in the middle of working out, I STOP sweating ... its the one place I should always sweat and I just stop even if I am drinking tons of water)

ringmaster
07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
bumping this...

I was doing some googling on this the other day and read fitter people do sweat more. I also read there are some natural remedies, but the sites didn't say what they were, lol... anyone know?

I can't really tolerate the heat, and I just sweat buckets. I can just be walking around the mall at a casual pace and sweat will start dripping off my forehead. My face will get red. Then my underarms start sweating. Then under my breasts. Then I can't try anything on because I'm sweating..lol. It's ridiculous :( I see everyone else of all sizes walking around and noone is sweating like I am.

Porthardygurl
07-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Its so embarressing.. I work with people..I work at a hostel and i have to take cash and check people in..and there is nothing like sweating just by simply folding a few sheets or cleaning a bathroom and coming out drenched and red in the face and having to serve customers..and i mean..RED..like beet red face..sweat dripping down my face..wet bangs from all the sweat..and on top of it..my skin on my arms and body get a red glow to me..i look like a freaking strawberry!!! Sigh...what to do what to do..oh and the worst part is: i stink like baby powder everywhere i go..cause im trying to combat the sweat with tulcum powder...so now im a stinky red sweating strawberry...

mateosmama2005
07-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Yes, and what I HATE is waking up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat, and the sheets wet, ugh!!! Even with my fan on :/ Not an every night thing but every so often, and it's gross!

stimkovs
07-14-2011, 11:16 AM
i sweat. I sweat when I was bigger, I have always sweat like a farm animal. Doing hot yoga- I am usually just a notch less sweaty then some of the big sweaty men in the classes- but sweating is natural. It cleanses the toxins out of your body. Learn to enjoy it, and own more breathable or quick dry fabrics and some nice smelling deodorant :) hahaha

runningfromfat
07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I've been skinny and I've been obese and I've always sweated like crazy. I sure wish it would just go away.

April Snow
07-14-2011, 12:10 PM
I still sweat a lot when I exert myself, but when I lost over 40 lbs a couple of years ago, I definitely started to sweat less during normal activity. And instead of being the person who was always comfortable when other people were freezing and always hot when other people were comfortable, I'm now the person who is cold when others are comfortable!

Interestingly, even though I put back on a lot of that 40 lbs, my temperature re-regulation didn't change and I still get cold more easily. So I'm not exactly looking forward to what will happen when I lose even more weight!

Porthardygurl, I think that right now, you probably are sweating a bit extra due to your weight. EVERYTHING is a lot more physical effort when you are 250 plus. So I would not be surprised if things get a little bit better as you continue to lose weight. But it's also worth talking to your doctor - there are treatments they can do when things are really bad.

Munchy
07-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I do and I've always sweat, no matter how fit I am. I have hyperhidrosis LINK (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004518/) and my hands, feet, and underarms sweat at almost all times. I use aluminum chloride as an antiperspirant and powder for my feet. Both have helped a bit. I'm just used to it now.

tuende
07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
When I was bigger I would sweat a lot, just doing day-to-day stuff. I never really exericised, but when I did I noticed the bright red face more than the sweating. Now that I weight less and am in pretty good shape, I don't sweat as much in general, but when I'm exercising- forget it! I literally drip sweat no matter what I'm doing. I leave puddles under my spin bike (granted, everyone is a bit of a sweaty mess after that, but still)! I also have the opposite problem of being freezing all the time. I think my body just doesn't know what the h*ll I'm doing to it anymore!