Pregnant - Nursing - specific thread for nursing mothers supporting each other to lose weight?

jendiet
06-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey ladies. My name is Jennifer and I have a 5 week old. I am currently trying to get back down to my prepregnancy weight (1st goal) WITHOUT messing with my milk supply.

The other threads just move too fast for me...i need a smaller more focused group. any one out there know of one or want to join with me to make one?

PacSunMama
06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I haven't seen any in the few months I've been here, but I would love to join you! I have a baby boy, he'll be 9 weeks old on Tuesday. I am already past my pre-preg weight (235) because I only gained 12 pounds during my pregnancy and then somehow another 3 after he was born while in the hospital. But we're starting and ending at roughly the same place as each other!

I am using LoseIt to track my calories and exercise, I really like it. I was using Livestrong and I didn't like the app at all (bummed I wasted $3 on it!) because I couldn't track or view nutrients, just calories. So LoseIt has me at about 1500 calories and I added 250 to the daily total for nursing. So far it's pretty good. Although I am having a hard time eating ALL my calories most days, especially when I exercise. It's just too much food for me when I'm not feeling hungry!

Anyways, good to see ya! I hope we can get a few more mamas and start a support group over here. The weekly weigh in thread is kind of dead so it would be good to restart one.

jendiet
06-12-2011, 04:30 PM
hey PacSun.

wow, you did so well with your weight gain and now your weight loss.

I need to fix my ticker. I gained from 183 to 222, I am currently back down to 201. Are you also breast feeding. I am exclusively breast feeding.

The stress of that makes me eat things i shouldn't but i'm not giving up on it.

I HAVE to do better with scheduling pumping sessions. Do you pump? do you have any advice?

Thanks for responding. I hope more ladies respond. You are right the weekly weight loss thing is dead, dead, dead. I need something everyday to keep me motivated. And the other weight loss threads are just too much. I don't have time to read everything and keep up!

I am also recovering from a c-section. So my plans are:

exercise:

5000 steps per day
abdominal tightening (while sitting)
glute tightening (while sitting)
15 reps with arms or legs per day

Diet: my A1c at my last check up was 5.8. They want it under 6.
I am going to start small. My diet has been atrocious so I am going to begin by cutting back carbs to 200g per day and that is it.

Let me know your plans!

jennylou
06-12-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm exclusively nursing a 4 month old (and I still nurse my two year old too).

I am doing a primalish type of diet. My baby has many food intolerances and I have had to eliminate many foods in order for her not to have green poop and awful rashes (dairy, soy, wheat, corn, eggs, berries, tree nuts, peanuts, artificial flavors and colorings, peas are among the things that I can't eat).

I'm taking my IBCLC boards in July and am happy to answer questions you might have. :)

Why are you thinking your pumping has to get better? Are you returning to work? Just pumping for occasional outings?

jendiet
06-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey jennylou, pumping for occasional outings, and major study sessions...but i'm so worried that i will pump and baby will want to cluster feed. Also it seems that he always wants to eat when i start the pump even after he already ate! my timing is awful.

wow you have a picky eater on your hands. i have not been careful about what i eat so much...i don't even know where to begin, so far i haven't noticed a change in the fussiness--but he is just generally fussy. especially when he decides he wants to breast feed for 3 hours straight.

i wish my breasts would just fill to overflow...i don't even leak, is that a sign of bad supply?

jennylou
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
For occasional outings, pump after you've nursed. Set the pump up and when you have nursed the baby, put the pump on after you've settled the baby down. If he wakes and wants to nurse more, turn the pump off and feed the baby. Honestly, he's five weeks right now and he's about to go through a six week growth spurt which will seem like constant cluster feeding for a day or two. You probably won't get much pumping in during that time. :) Don't beat yourself up over it, just try to fit it in as you can. The baby is way more efficient than the pump is and the baby only takes about 85% of the available milk, so you'll still have some left for the baby if he does decide he needs to nurse after you've already started pumping. :)

PacSunMama
06-13-2011, 03:23 AM
For occasional outings, pump after you've nursed. Set the pump up and when you have nursed the baby, put the pump on after you've settled the baby down. If he wakes and wants to nurse more, turn the pump off and feed the baby. Honestly, he's five weeks right now and he's about to go through a six week growth spurt which will seem like constant cluster feeding for a day or two. You probably won't get much pumping in during that time. :) Don't beat yourself up over it, just try to fit it in as you can. The baby is way more efficient than the pump is and the baby only takes about 85% of the available milk, so you'll still have some left for the baby if he does decide he needs to nurse after you've already started pumping. :)

I totally agree with this advice. I don't think I pumped a single ounce in the 5-6 week age because he was eating so frequently! I pump occasionally as well, and I donate my frozen breastmilk to a local family with a baby who is a week younger than mine. Get through this next growth spurt, and then when you're ready to pump, do it right after your baby eats, or maybe an hour into what you know will be a long stretch of sleep. Don't confuse your milk supply though, pumping too much extra will trick your body into making extra milk on purpose. Personally, I don't mind. It may be cheating, but hey, it's calories burned. Although I only pump once every few days, I just don't have time, so really the difference is negligible.

I use LoseIt.com to track my calories, and I just let it set my goal and then manually adjusted it to add another 250 calories. I'm finding right now that I just can't eat that much at the end of the day, especially when I exercise. Tonight, for example, I was 6 calories under my goal (and that's after eating 4 chips ahoy cookies for a grand total of 300 calories just to reach it!) and then I did 30 minutes of exercise. It's almost midnight, I'm not going to eat now... so I guess I'll just listen to my body!

I think it's better to do something than nothing though, ya know? Even tracking your calories gives you a better idea of what you're eating. Baby does need you to take in some extra calories to produce milk, but you have to realize that those need to come from healthy veggies and lean proteins, not cookies or ice cream (which are my weaknesses!)

jendiet
06-14-2011, 02:03 PM
oh gosh ladies. thanks for the advice. I was using a breast shield when we first started nursing for like the first 3 weeks, then i took a break to "toughen" mny nipples. now his latch sucks because he's stuffed up, and constantly breaking suction...which is leading to very sore nipples. so i tried to reapply the breast shield, and only after 15 minutes of crying pushing away and rejecting the nipple--he settled down to nurse. my nerves are FRIED.

PacSun, cookies and icecream are also my weaknesses too! I am trying to incorporate SOME of that into my diet, so i don't go nuts. depriving myself of them only makes me NUTS.

fried nerves MAKE me want to eat more. and just crap. so it's a battle.

I also am sick, not to mention i also have to study for the BIGGEST test of my life!

apparently the baby got me sick? with a cold or something.

i am using saline drops and letting him sniff vicks, without putting it on him...also hot showers with him in the room--not the shower.

ok diet wise. I am keeping it to 200 c right now.

i didn't do leg exercises, but i went shopping for an hour..and carried groceries.

i am very exhausted today. wt was 200.6 today. carbs were 202 yesterday, i might be a little off, cuz i didn't record as soon as i ate, but pretty close to that.

how are you ladies?

sacha
06-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Not nursing anymore but just wanted to say congrats jendiet!!! I remember your first BFP post :)

jendiet
06-15-2011, 06:36 PM
thanks sacha and way to go on your goals post baby!

Where are the other ladies? are you going to join with me or not? I hope so.

Goddess Jessica
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Jendiet -- I will have to tell you, whatever test you're studying for? I think the biggest test of your life is happening RIGHT NOW! :) Get well soon, sweetie!

I'm join you as soon as this little girl decides to COME OUT.

PacSun - I ALSO hated the livestrong app and was super sad that I spent money on it. Yes, it's only $3 but they don't deserve my $3! I've been trying to justify getting an iPhone because I follow WW and I know they have a WW app.

abbysue715
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I'll join!!! My son is 14 weeks old today. eeek! Goes by way too fast! I am exclusively breastfeeding.

Jendiet, I had a c/s also and we had a really rough go of nursing for the first 5-6 weeks. It got so much easier though! I wasn't able to pump at all until 7 weeks and if you arent lubing up your nipples you definately want to do that at the very least after you pump. I use motherlove nipple cream and its WONDERFUL!!!

I am just focusing on whole foods and portion control and thats been working so far. I have been measuring all my food as best I can. We havent gotten a digital scale yet. I dont write it down though because I find when I do I obsess over it.

Good idea to start this thread!

jendiet
06-20-2011, 12:02 AM
ok, so i have been really doing a half-a$$ job at watching my carbs...

but studying for the NCLEX is over in 1 hour-2 years of nursing school came to a head...and the "secret trick" of pearson says that i passed. holy cow! not really.
but I'm an RN!!!!

abbysue715
06-20-2011, 12:08 AM
WOOHOOOOO!!! Congrats jen!!!

PacSunMama
06-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Congrats Jen!!!

I had a rough weekend, super busy week. Stayed to my plan all but Sunday and went about 600 cals over then. Scale was up this morning but I hope it was water retention. Little man will be 10 weeks tomorrow, I can't believe it!!

Trying to get at least 100g of protein every day this week and at least 30 minutes of exercise each day too. My goal for June was to lose 10 pounds and I think I can do it.

jendiet
06-23-2011, 03:53 PM
thanks for the congrats ladies, pacSun, i think you can do the 10 lbs...so far the scale just isn't moving, but my attempts have been half-a$$ed like i said.

abbysue, thanks for the advice, how is the plan going? i'm starting to do some abs exercises now.

Thomas is 7 weeks today!

jennegirle
06-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Congrats Jendiet! That's hard work, especially with a new baby!

I'm so glad you started this thread! I just started dieting two weeks ago to lose baby weight. I have a 7 month old and have just begun solid food, but her main nutrient is breastmilk. It's hard to find much info or support on nursing and dieting unless you want to do Weight Watchers.

I'm doing the Slow Carb diet from Tim Ferriss's book The 4 Hour Body. It isn't a calorie restricting diet, so I figured it was a little safer than restricting calories in regards to not having to worry about my milk supply.

So far so good. I'm not THRILLED with the diet, but it's better than holding steady for 6 months.

PacSunMama
06-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Well, the scale is back on it's way down from father's day weekend. That took more time than I expected for me to recover! But now that I've recovered and made progress, I'm feeling much better about the whole thing! Still not sure why I didn't lose more though, I may need to just be patient with slower loss right now. I had a couple days of lower net calories than I should be getting (ended up between 1400-1500) and have noticed a drop in milk supply for the baby. He has been nursing on both sides, tugging a little and doesn't seem satisfied after nursing for awhile. We have lots stored in the freezer so he has had a couple bottles, but I see now that I'll have to be very careful not to mess with that. Especially when I do my exercise at night but haven't yet accounted for calories, so then I either eat late at night or skip it and go to bed- which is what has caused that deficit. And before anyone suggests it, I am N.O.T. a morning person, so don't go there! ;)

I think I may be pushing it too far, too fast. I just so badly want to get out of the 200's!! I was still losing 2+ pounds per week on the 1850 cals/week, so I shouldn't mess with it. I think it's just the mentality of being 200-something pounds. Is that totally weird?

abbysue715
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Everything is going good. I have yet to see the scale stay the same or increase and that is wonderful! I know it will happen eventually and it won't be the end of the world but its nice that it hasn't this far. Started writing down what I am eating. Not counting calories or adding it all up but I figure its a good thing to have in case I do start stalling or gaining.

How is everyone else doing?

Landon started teething and we nurse side-lying at night so I can sleep too. Well the other night he must have just used my boob as a chew toy because it has been HURTING!!!! Its getting better now but OWEE! He is 15 weeks old today and this just goes by WAY too fast!

jendiet
06-28-2011, 02:55 AM
abby, keep reminding me because I need it. I think how desperate i am to get a break from the boobie monster, but then i can't stand to be away from him for too long.

lol..about the chew toy. I commend you on still nursing the little bugger with chompers. I hope i can do it.

I was worried about my supply again, because i put him on to nurse, and he got fussy and screamed, then he pulled off and had mouthful of milk...so i know he was getting something. Turns out he was just tired.

I am down to 199 again, been bouncing around a little. I wish the scale would keep going down too. Enjoy it woman!

Brinty149
06-28-2011, 04:51 AM
So happy I found this thread! I just found the site and had to join when I saw this thread! I have an 11 week old baby girl, I'm exclusively breast feeding and having a very hard time losing baby weight! I was 190 pre-pregnancy, after her birth I was down to 218. I now weigh 227. I have always heard nursing helps you get in shape, but apparently not as much as I would like. I have an extremely hard time sticking to diets, and I go to the gym as much as possible. But it doesn't always work out when I need to find a sitter. I really have no idea where to start. Should I just count calories and see where that takes me? I would Try to start arous the 2000 mark? I hope being able to talk to a group of ladies in the same situation will help me get motivates, cause I have definitely been slacking so far!

abbysue715
06-28-2011, 10:45 AM
brinty,
I would definitely start keeping track of what you are eating. But make sure they aren't empty calories. Our babies need us to be eating lots of healthy food!! Welcome! This entire site is just amazing!

jeminijad
06-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I would like to join this thread- I've got a 5 week old daughter, that I am nursing. Yesterday, I started my plan:

-1800 calories/day
-30 grams fiber/day
-100 grams protein/day
-no more than 150 grams carbs/day (after subtracting fiber)
still working on a sugar limit. Obviously drinking tons of water.

I'm starting at 200lbs even, with an eventual goal of 140. 5'6". I didn't have a c-section, and physically I feel good, so I'll be starting Turbo Jam next week (when the kids are napping, I've also got a toddler.)

Jendiet, congrats on 20lbs down!

mscreneet
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey Everyone...id also like to join you guys.
Jendiet my baby was born just 2 days after yours 5/7.
Im nursing her and also taking care of my 16 month old ( I must be crazy)

Trying to find the time to work out has been a hassle.
I used to love to do the Walk away the pounds DVD however I just dont have 45 minutes to workout each day.
Last night I saw the infomercial for the 10 minute trainer, it looked pretty interesting, I just dont want to spend that much money for it.

Also trying to eat all those calories is killing me. Im not doing such a good job at that. I try to eat small, low fat snacks during the day to help but I still seem to miss the mark with getting all my calories in. I do drink water all day long so hopefully that helps some.

Good luck with everyones weighloss journey. I sure what to shed these pounds soon!

jendiet
06-28-2011, 08:24 PM
hey ladies...mscre, that is cool our babies are the same age. Yeah sounds rough with a 16 month old. I have been taking little man for a stroll in the stroller with my friend. we are getting about 2 miles in a walk. Her baby is 11 months.

jemini, you and mscren are twinkies. Both of you have your hands full, you have a good plan though! Really your plan is good for ANYONE.

Brinty, i agree with starting to log what you are eating. Try NOT to change your diet yet. Just log what you are eating, if you can do a 24 hour recall of what you ate yesterday, that would be best. So you can see what you are eating. Obviously on your current diet, you have been gaining, so you need a little tweaking.

I am drinking nursing time tea, and realized i had some red rasberry leaf too. I am going to add that to my tea. I hope it helps. I wish i would stay full of milk 24/7. I hate the full then empty thing my breasts are doing.

Good news is I am down to 198 today. I hope to keep trudging downward.

Brinty149
06-30-2011, 06:16 PM
jendiet- I've decided to just jump in and start changing my diet and counting calories. I know what I am doing wrong... EVERYTHING. lol
Today is day 1!

1800 calories
5-6 servings of fruit and veggies
and water water water.

doesn't sound like much. But I eat terribly. Maybe 1 or 2 fruits and veggies a day. and barely any water. I would also like to start couch to 5k next week, but I'm not sure if I should at my current weight.

jendiet
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Brinty, i think your plan is good. couch to 5k might be ok if your joints aren't too terrible.

I got a good quality pump today, and maybe i can start pumping and storing...

i've been bouncing around 199-201 still. Come on scale! Come on body.

hang in there ladies.

Brinty149
07-02-2011, 04:32 AM
Did horrible today because the fair was in town... Taco salad, mcdonalds, kraft dinner, and a couple drinks! Tomorrow is a new day and I wil ne back on track!

Mumof 2D
07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi ladies!!!! I so wanna jump in here! I have a 5 month old and have been breastfeeding her the whole time. I started WW a week ago yesterday and have been having a pretty easy go of it! I also joined a gym this week and have gone twice. I'm pretty sure my baby who I call Meme is teething because she has been super cranky all week and driving me insane!

jendiet
07-04-2011, 09:31 PM
welcome mum, this thread is still alive. ugh a teething baby, i remember going through that with DS. Hang in there. Good for you that you are joining a gym...and you are making good healthy decisions.

Brinty, just pick yourself up and dust off and keep going. Hopefully you did alot of walking to offset the unhealthy noshing.

Mumof 2D
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks! I am actually really enjoying the gym. I was on the treadmill tonight and the lady beside me asked me about the weather and we got talking about my baby and she said "Oh my goodness are you a young mother?" I said "Not really I am turning 30." and she goes "Oh wow...dear you are just beautiful!" I was so happy!

jendiet
07-07-2011, 01:18 AM
oh that would have made my day too! Guess you have beautiful glowing skin, which is nice for having a young baby! I look like i'm drug out half the time!

abbysue715
07-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Am I the only one that has a terrible time trying to develop a normal exercise routine?

I run daycare and Landon is almost 4 months old. The daycare kids are here 7-6. We wake up by 630 everyday. We go to bed around 830.

I am thinking of just biting the bullet and setting the alarm for 530, nursing landon, and then another alarm at 6 to get out of bed and workout. Some days I am able to do a workout video with the kiddos all running around and sometimes trying to participate but I can never depend on that. I feel like I am at the point with my lifestyle change that I need to be putting more of an effort into working out. I just really value my sleep!

jendiet
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
ugh Abby, since you run a daycare, i would try to incorporate my workouts somehow during the daycare, there is lots YOU CAN DO.

i personally exercise best at night. maybe it's because i eat meat at night and that's what makes me feel my best. I don't know. But i get so much energy from the adrenals and 9 pm is my best exercise time and always has been.

i am currently walking every night at 9 pm (around there) with the baby in the stroller and we are getting 2 miles a night.

banananutmuffin
07-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi ladies! May I join in? I am currently nursing my 7 month old.

As for fitting in exercise, I feel your pain. I have a 3 yr old, too. Finding 20+ mins for cardio seems impossible.

One thing I do is set a reminder on my cell phone. Every hour, on the hour, between 9am and 4pm, it dings and gives me instructions for some exercises (like 5 pushups, 10 crunches, and 10 squats). Whenever my phone dings this reminder, I just do the exercises wherever I am (living room, kitchen, backyard, etc.). I'm a SAHM, so this is a little easier for me, but I have found it a simple way to sneak in some strength training without affecting my day at all.

abbysue715
07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Banana- thats an amazing idea!! I will have to try it!

Mumof 2D
07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
That is excactly what i do!!!!!!!!!!! I have an app for my phone that tells me what kind of things do to and I just do them right away no excuses. If I am nursing I lay Meme down for five minutes because I know she will be fine for 5 minutes. I got the idea from iCarly LOL I have an 8 yr old too LOL

abbysue715
07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
My phone only has one alarm! sigh...new ideas?

Arianwen
07-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I have a 5 month old and an 8 year old stepson...I either do my running/yoga when my baby is napping OR nurse him, then hand him off to DH and go hit the bricks!

I also put baby in the Ergo carrier or, sometimes the stroller and go for a multiple-mile walk with him.

Anine
07-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Can I join you too? I have a 3 year old son and an almost 7 months old daughter. My daughter just started solids, but I still nurse her.

I lost 50 pounds a few years ago and reached my goal weight of 150 pounds. I successfully maintained that for a couple of years, but then I got married and the pounds crept back. I was about 175 pounds when I got pregnant with my son. I gained 50 pounds during my pregnancy with him and managed to lose 25 of them before I got pregnant again. This time I also gained 50 pounds, but luckily I was able to lose most of that quickly.

Now Im stuck at the same weight that I has before I got pregnant with my daughter, around 200 pounds. I really want to lose 50 pounds again so I can be a fit and active mother for my kids!

Anine
07-13-2011, 12:55 AM
I have some major problems getting my exercise in too. I really want to start running again, but I think it will be easier to focus on walking for now. Its so much easier to exercise when my daughter can be with me than to try to time it to when shes sleeping! I like your idea of 5 minutes "do it right now" strength training though, I might try to incorporate that. Strenght traning is normally my biggest problem.

Arianwen
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I do Yoga DVDs, I put my son in his Jumperoo and he watches me do Yoga. Sometimes my stepson does the Yoga with me, lol. The dogs and cat are our audience, too.

I do about 30 minutes of Yoga a day, for strength purposes. I do the not-gentle type that gets my heart pounding and makes me sweat like a pig.

I went for an 11 km bike ride yesterday, too, while the baby was taking his morning nap. It was awesome!

kifli
07-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm excited to find this thread. Hope you don't mind if I join? I was hoping to find other ladies who were also bf'ing and trying to lose.

I have a newly turned 3yo and a 7 month old baby. I have been breastfeeding exclusively and I am a SAHM.
I was 194, but have lost 50 pounds since the baby was born by counting calories. I haven't been able lose any more weight for the past several months now, so I just joined Jenny Craig this last week. I'm doing the 1200 calorie plan, but adding a sandwich snack at the end of the night and some little extras, averaging about 1700 per day. I may have to lower this if I still don't see any results.

I weigh in on Saturdays now. I am at 144, hoping to get down to 130 in time for my friend's wedding next month. I AM REALLY HOPING!!! But like I said, I'm stuck.

We just moved back to Oregon from California and I am hosting a bridal shower tea this weekend in Southern California, so I am feeling a lot of stress. I haven't established any exercise routine, ever..... =0(

Looking forward to sharing with everyone! I'll try my best, the kids and the unpacked boxes are taking up my every minute =0)

July 9 - 144
July 16 -

jendiet
07-14-2011, 04:26 AM
hey ladies. I have been taking 2 mile walks with a good friend at about 9 pm as well as following an intermittent fasting regimen. The fasting does not mess with my milk supply as I have plenty of calories during the day. my weight still is not budging but my body is looking better.

i love the sound of those apps ladies.

Arian, lol, about your audience. that sounds cute. the workout does not though. good for you.

Anine, i am with you on the reasons to lose more weight.
kifli, you are a weight loss master. I think you are just experiencing a plateau. at this time don't pay attention to the scale but to your body. you will probably notice a huge difference as you keep on keeping on.

banananutmuffin
07-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and asked Hubby to move our treadmill from the basement to our main living floor. It's ugly as sin, but it'll make it easier for me to exercise. I figure I can walk/run while the baby naps, and just keep my toddler nearby busy with an art project.

I use a baby carrier too (like an Ergo, but a little different) whenever I run errands and such for my infant. I've been thinking about wearing the baby and pushing my 3 year old in a stroller for walks. My neighborhood isn't walker friendly, but maybe I could take them to the mall in the mornings and walk with the senior citizens. lol

PacSunMama
07-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Banana that's great, I hope you get some good use out of the treadmill!

I've been exercising a lot the last 2 weeks and am feeling great! The scale and my clothes aren't reflecting the amount of walking/running I've been doing but I can tell that physically I feel more capable and able to complete the workouts! I do hope my body gets on board though and really starts to build muscle and shed some fat, I'd love to just rock the heck out of a cute dress for my husband's graduation in September!

jendiet
07-15-2011, 01:26 AM
banana yay for treadmills.

PacSun, you sound like me. the weight is doing almost nothing. but my body is looking leaner. just keep it up. I bet you will rock that dress in September.

Anine
07-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Banananutmuffin, what kind of carrier do you use? Im a babywearer myself, mostly with woven wraps. I love to go for long walks while wearing my baby. Wrapping and babywearing in general just makes it so much easier to get some exercise in, even if its just walking!

Arianwen
07-17-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm getting fed up. I'm careful to eat around 2000 calories per day, I exercise 30 mins - 1 hour per day, either running or bicycling plus some Yoga some days and I'm nursing and my weight has gone UP. 181.8lbs!!!

I have NOT been cheating/going over calories to the point of gaining two lbs. I'm SO mad.

jendiet
07-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Arian, i am experiencing the same thing. just pay attention to how your clothes fit and your inches. you will see some progress soon. i know it's frustrating.

banananutmuffin
07-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Anine: I usually use an Angelpack LX. I prefer soft structured buckle carriers, mostly because I've never gotten the hang of wrapping (I'm all thumbs!). I did use a podegi a bit when I was pregnant with my second kid, since I could tie it above my belly. I LOVE babywearing. It does help make even a walk seem like a *real* workout.

Arianwen: I have heard other nursing moms tell me that they gained weight while nursing no matter what they did. I tend to think that biologically our bodies do want to hang on to extra fat when we nurse in order to preserve our milk supply and protect our bodies. This definitely makes it harder to lose weight while nursing.

Arianwen
07-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks, guys. :) DH did say I look smaller so there's that, at least. I'm going to an LLLI meeting on Wednesday - I'll ask about this topic - trying to lose weight while nursing/why won't I lose etc.

PacSunMama
07-18-2011, 04:24 AM
3 month growth spurt... shoot me now.

;/ Weight loss is at a standstill and I haven't been trying very hard. I'm so tired and feeding this milk tank every hour or two is killing me.

It's such an emotional challenge, isn't it? Wanting so badly to lose weight, but also wanting the commitment to feeding your child and meeting his needs first.

Arianwen
07-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Growth spurts don't last forever, I know it can be hard. Watch netflix or DVDs or what-have-you and camp out on the couch with healthy snacks/water.

jendiet
07-18-2011, 05:06 PM
omg, my little one is a fuss pot again. He wants to nurse/then doesn't/then does/then doesn't. SHOOT ME. too please.

banananutmuffin
07-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, my LO seems to be in constant snacking mode! And she's teething, so she basically cries unless I hold her. Sure making it hard to fit in a workout.

Hang in there, mamas! It'll get easier!

JennieT
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi Ladies,

I'd like to get some of your input please! I am a first time mom and my son is about 4 1/2 months old. Initially I was adamant that i was going to BF but he had a really negative response to my milk and so my doc had us switch to formula. Turns out that he had a milk protein allergy and he's been on soy milk. Well I'd like to try re-lactating but I'm uncertain how many calories I should take in. I've been on a 1,200 calorie intake diet and I'm not expecting to build up a full supply but possibly 6-8 ounces a day for him. I'm mostly interested in passing on immunity but not souly feeding him breast milk. Do I still need to bump my calorie intake up to 1800 calories? And if so, will I really burn a full 500 calories just pumping?

Thanks much!
Jennie

jennylou
07-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Generally, 1800-2300 calories per day for an exclusively BFing mom. As babies take less, you have to eat less in order to still maintain or lose.

How long did you nurse for and how long ago did you quit BFing?

jennylou
07-19-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm getting fed up. I'm careful to eat around 2000 calories per day, I exercise 30 mins - 1 hour per day, either running or bicycling plus some Yoga some days and I'm nursing and my weight has gone UP. 181.8lbs!!!

I have NOT been cheating/going over calories to the point of gaining two lbs. I'm SO mad.

What kinds of foods are you eating? I am sensitive to carbs. I did WW with success after my first DD was born, but I had to watch my fruit intake and my carb intake too. Eventually I came to a standstill and couldn't lose anymore. Now, I'm more primal than anything else (but I can still eat rice and potatoes - but I don't eat eggs, corn, wheat, artificial colorings, dairy or soy) and the weight has been dropping off. I just know that my body is very sensitive to wheat. I love it, it just doesn't love me!

jennylou
07-19-2011, 11:37 PM
jendiet - just reading through older posts and wanted to congratulate you on passing your NCLEX! I start nursing classes next month and am very excited. I'm taking my IBCLC exam next Monday and wish there was a PV trick for those boards - I have to wait until the end of October!

jendiet
07-20-2011, 12:08 AM
thanks jennylou, i hope you pass it, darn I wish you could get your results sooner too!

jennieT--there are alot of jens here!--wow. i am so impressed you had to quit and now you are interested in bfing again! go you! i agree with the advice about the calorie intake.

PacSunMama
07-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Having milk supply issues, baby won't even nurse. He finally took 2 ounces of frozen milk from the bottle before falling asleep... after screaming for almost an hour. I'm so frustrated. It's not even like I've been REALLY restricting.

But my kid has to come first. I'm going to take a couple days off... watch me come back +10 pounds even if I only indulge a little. Some days I just really don't like my body. :/ I'm incredibly frustrated right now, I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

JennieT
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Jennylou - Well my son never did latch well because he was a NICU baby but I pumped and fed him BM for about 2 weeks after he was born. So its been about 4 months since I've pumped. I do still have a few drops if I pump and like I said, I'm only thinking about feeding him 4-8 ounces a day.

banananutmuffin
07-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I know how you ladies feel. With my first, BFing was HORRIBLE. I was bound and determined to do it, but I had supply issues, and latching issues, and every other issue known to woman. lol I cried every day for momths.

Hang in there! It'll get easier!

Arianwen
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
What kinds of foods are you eating? I am sensitive to carbs. I did WW with success after my first DD was born, but I had to watch my fruit intake and my carb intake too. Eventually I came to a standstill and couldn't lose anymore. Now, I'm more primal than anything else (but I can still eat rice and potatoes - but I don't eat eggs, corn, wheat, artificial colorings, dairy or soy) and the weight has been dropping off. I just know that my body is very sensitive to wheat. I love it, it just doesn't love me!

I eat a fair amount of carbs and such. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and grains make up a considerable portion of my diet, which usually isn't a problem...I'm not lactose-intolerant either.

I do not eat meat (fish is made out of meat.) of any kind, haven't for going on 22 (!) years.

I don't go crazy with the fruit though, I'm craving it less now than I did when I was pregnant. I eat a few servings, then probably three servings of veg with dinner.

PacSunMama
07-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Okay so maybe I wasn't eating enough? Hubby and I had a long talk last night and I was able to talk through my frustrations. He refocused me that the priority right now is feeding the baby and that the weight WILL come off, even if I slow down and maintain for a bit, I can always resume later.

So he went to the store and bought me ice cream drumsticks (my favorite! I haven't had them since I was pregnant though) and we had some low-fat/sugar kettle corn and an ice cream last night. Woke up today and the scale was down 3.8 pounds. After 3 weeks of it barely moving!

I am going to focus on NOT gaining right now, up my cals to about 2,000/day and just see where it goes. The thing is that even with 1750 cals, I'm not hungry! I get to about 1500 during the day and then at the end of the day, exercise and realize I need to eat a good 500 cals before bedtime!! Anyways, I'm going to ease up and trust that my body will do what it needs to.

Mumof 2D
07-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm having some serious stress cravings right now. It has been bloody miserable here for heat and I have not been sleeping well, nor has my lil Meme. So this morning when she woke up at 4:18 I wanted to cry and eat. Normally I could sleep a bit during the day but I had a million things to do and when I went to go start my car the darn back tire was flat. GRRRRRRRRRRR Now I am a very very nervous driver and the idea of driving to get the tire fixed on the donut is terrifying me. All I can think about it candy.

PacSunMama
07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Hang in there mum!! Stress SUCKS especially on little sleep and a new diet! You can do this. Is there any way you can maybe have a serving of sorbet or anything sweet but not catastrophic?

banananutmuffin
07-22-2011, 08:57 AM
I'll be honest here: I haven't really been focused on my diet at all. A typical day of food looks something like this:

- Breakfast: Egg salad sandwich, goldfish crackers (Hey, I'm a mom, lol)
- Lunch: 2 big slices of leftover pizza
- Snack: Some of whatever my kid eats for dinner, like half a grilled cheese sandwich
- After Kids in Bed: 2-3 glasses of white wine
- Late Night (11pm) Dinner: 2 hotdogs with buns and oven french fries

Yeah... not the healthiest diet ever and loaded with calories. BUT I am still losing "baby" weight (my baby is 7 months old). The loss has slowed significantly now (maybe 0.5 lbs a week), but I am not gaining. AND I haven't been exercising at all.

Sooooooo... I think it is true that nursing burns a lot of calories. And I think that if we feed our bodies enough calories, in response it will burn them off.

Just a theory, though.

kifli
07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
July 9 - 144
July 16 - 140.5

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I have been MIA. So I just got back from Pasadena, where I hosted that Bridal Shower Tea. It was a morning of brunch, then late afternoon Royal Tea with all of the sandwiches, desserts, and champagne, followed by a late dinner at The Royce (awesome restaurant with very small portions). So I don't think I will have lost any weight this week. Now I have to survive my husband's 40th birthday tomorrow with a trip to a Hungarian restaurant (he's Hungarian), CPK's Key lime pie (his fav. instead of cake), and a Peruvian restaurant later in the evening. After this, no celebrations until the end of August for my friend's Caribbean wedding.
Speaking of which, my friends are sooo skinny!!! Definitely a little embarrassed now that they saw how this mom of two looks now. But hey, wouldn't change anything otherwise as far as the kiddos.
So I had some major problems while away....a blocked milk duct. I pumped the whole time and couldn't empty. Was relieved to nurse baby again once home, but then had the same problem a couple of days later. Managed to unplug with hot compresses and lots of pumping/nursing frequently. However, I'm very afraid of going on this 4 day Caribbean trip. I won't have baby. Just me and the pump =0( Hope I don't get mastitis while out of the country!!!
Anyway, hoping for a big loss next Saturday since this last week was bust.
Sorry I didn't do personals. I have to wrap presents while both boys sleep (a rare moment in this house!).
Talk soon.

dork24
07-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Hello....I see so many of you ladies are doing an awesome job at losing weight...Great job and keep it up! i need some help......I was 282 and got down to 236 and started gaining weight, i didnt know why...well I found out I was pregnant.....I got all the way up to 304....The reason I gained so much weight is due to me being on bedrst from jan.10th-May7th...I spent a lil over 3months in the hospital on bedrest.....I used a bed pan from 23wks-32wks. Its hard recovering from bedrest.....at my 3 wk check up I was 267...Well we had family in town and i have gained some of the weight i lost. right now i, 280. My husband and I are doing a thing for 21 days were we DONT eat out and we have to drink 8 bottles of water a day.....Iam not breast feeding due to my baby being a few weeks early she didnt lack on,,,so i pump...same thing kinda...I need help!!!!!:?:

Mumof 2D
07-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Hang in there mum!! Stress SUCKS especially on little sleep and a new diet! You can do this. Is there any way you can maybe have a serving of sorbet or anything sweet but not catastrophic?

Thank you Momma!

jendiet
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
um, i don't know if my supply is suffering but my little man is turning into a little devil. If i am holding him--ok he's fine, but put him down and he screams and screams and SCREAMS!!! I am trying to let him comfort himself just a little after I check all the major issues, but I just want to stick my head in a hole, when he acts like this...cry.

banananutmuffin
07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Jendiet: Have you tried using a pack to carry him? You could use a front carrier like a Bjorn or a back carrier like an Ergo. I find that this really helps soothe my little one when she wants to be held. (And it also allows me to have my hands free!) Sometimes she just wants to be close to me and feel motion, and the carriers really do the trick.

jendiet
07-29-2011, 02:01 AM
arian, your diet sounds good enough.

PacSun, glad to see you figured out your milk supply issue.

mum, i hope you got that tire fixed. lol--i wrote "tired fix". Well I hope you get both the tire and tired fixed! Stress does suck. Hang in there. Here's my mantra for you "food never solved any problem but hunger". I tell myself that all the time.

kifli, don't worry you will be back to being "skinny" with your friends in no time. you sound like you have an interesting life. Hungarian husband and a caribbean trip.

dork, hun..what exactly you are experiencing? maybe the more experienced ladies can help. you are doing fine with your weight loss.

ok, i decided I must pump. I have been keeping Thomas on one breast for several hours to make sure he gets the full content of the milk. He is acting better. So I tried pumping to make sure, i had some backup. I got 2 oz out of my left breast and 3 oz out of my right breast. Isn't that sorry? If I pump more often, will I get more milk? I got that in a little less than an hour.

CatP
07-29-2011, 07:25 AM
I'll join! My son is three months old now, and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. Going back to work in September and I'll pump when I do.... Just went back to gym today, so far I've only walked (and eaten when I worried about the size of my rear end!).

kifli
07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
July 9 - 144
July 16 - 140.5
July 23 - 140.5
July 30 - 139

YAY!!! FINALLY weigh in the 130's. I have been hovering around 142 to 144 for the past half year! So this JC diet is working for me. I just kept cheating with the calorie counting after a while. I'm still cheating now, but the JC diet is 1200 calories, so with all of the extra 'cheats' I am losing a little, but still able to BF Luke exclusively @ 8 months. Hooray =0)

Okay, so honest admission: I am SO burned out on breastfeeding. With the new dieting, Luke is up every 3-4 hours during the night to nurse. He is satisfied and is getting enough total, but only with night nursing *sigh*
Then after getting all of that interrupted sleep, my 3yo is up early and ready to roll!

Banananut: I also had every issue known to man with my first son. Never was able to nurse exclusively even with 120% effort. Went 11 months, but with supplementation. He was an extremely sleepy baby. If there was no such thing as formula, he would have been in big trouble.

JenDiet: We are an active family. Both of us are healthcare professionals with pretty busy lives. I guess we do 'interesting things' but the truth is, I spend most of my time unloading the dishwasher, preparing meals, and breastfeeding....not so interesting! =0) Oh, and Luke has also been so fussy lately, but I think he is teething and maybe a little hungry as well. Cries every time I put him down which drives me bonkers! So much for housework! My lower back hurts with the Bjorn and the Ergo =0(

banananutmuffin
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Kifli: Great job hitting the 130s! Congrats!!!!

My baby is now 8 months, and we've started feeding her solids. Not much, just a few spoonfuls of baby food at dinner. Sometimes she wants it, sometimes she doesn't.

I hear what you're saying about night nursing. My kid has always done it (both did it), but I think more for comfort than for actual sustenance. This one won't even take a binky, so she's always looking to me to pacify her sucking urge. TMI, but sometimes my nipples are SORE.

jendiet
07-29-2011, 09:50 PM
can anyone answer my question. I can only pump 3oz out of his favorite breast and 2 oz out of the other. this is in one hour. is this bad?

kifli
07-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi Jen,
I may not have the answer to your question, but for me personally, I only pump 4 oz total after the last feed. So if Luke nurses at 7pm and goes to sleep, I then pump at 10pm, which is 3 hours later and I get about 4 oz. I think that Luke never drinks more than 4-5oz at a time, but I'm not entirely sure without weighing him =)
My friend who breastfed her little girl for 21 months would get 8oz! She was an overproducer though. So I think 5 oz is great! The amount you pump varies depending on time of day and how long after you nursed. My lactation consultant told me to pump right after I nursed the baby. So that is what I did for the first 3months.
Everyone does it different. Supposedly your body will start producing more if you pump at the same time regularly because you are telling your body to produce more (supply and demand) but it takes a little while before you see results. I don't pump too much lately, due to sleep deprivation. The first 3 months after Luke was born, I could pump 6-8oz in 20-25 minutes. Now I only pump 4 oz in 15-20 minutes.

Are you actually pumping for a whole hour? If you are, do you have a good double electric pump and do you think you are getting full let down? Because one hour is a long time, if that is what you are doing. If it is taking one hour to let down, then maybe you need to do massage and warm shower or warm moist compress beforehand. keep up the same time and see if you start producing more in 3-7days. Nonetheless 5 oz is still great in my book. Although 1 hour of pumping sounds like torture =0( What we do for our kids!

With my first baby, I could never get extra milk. I have a small freezer full with my second one. I think it was just because of all the extra pumping after every nursing session during that first 3 months with the second one. That and he was just a better nurser and not so sleepy. I give myself a 20 minute max time for pumping now.

jendiet
07-30-2011, 01:58 AM
yeah, it was one hour, but i just wouldn't let down. I can't figure that one out..i think i need a warm shower and a massage before I try. Plus, i try so hard to find the time to do it, its like as soon as he is done nursing and sleeping I go for it, but then i'm afraid he'll wake up while I'm in the middle of it, and I won't get to do it. :(--he's done that several times to me before. then, I'm not sure if I should pump it, cuz I don't know if he is still hungry or not.

banananut, are you kidding on your blog? no noticable changes. YEAH YOU CAN SEE TONS OF CHANGES. your calves are killer, and your thighs are shaping up nicely. I can even notice change in your belly. looking really good!

kifli
07-30-2011, 04:00 AM
BananaNut - agreed...I can also see some change in your photos! It's there. Also, I love reading your blog. You are too funny! With the exception of any kind of exercise (still have never done it longer than a couple of weeks), I can relate with you! I have a toddler who doesn't nap, and an infant. I am a night owl, love crappy foods (no offense), etc. Thanksgiving would be a good goal date for me as well. But also currently breastfeeding, so weight loss is slow...we'll see how it goes.

CatP -:welcome2:

banananutmuffin
07-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks, ladies!

When it came to pumping for me, I was pretty unsuccessful. The only thing that worked for me to get any more than 2-3 oz at a time was to put one breast on "hold" for 8-10 hours, and then pump only for that breast.

Typically, for the last nursing session at night, I'd give the baby my right breast only. Then, for any middle of the night nursing sessions, I'd stick to the right breast, too. By the time we woke up in the morning, my left breast would be so full that I could easily get 6-8 ounces.

But I still only nurse from one side at a time. I never switched midway during a nursing session. It worked for me, but might not work if you have serious supply issues.

jendiet
08-01-2011, 02:37 AM
banana, i might try that. I finally got him to take a bottle. The nipple I used was Dr. Brown's. I was using BreastFlow. I might try that one again tomorrow. I HAD to give him a bottle today, because my supply went way down due to me not being able to eat too much because of a stomach virus.

does it automatically go back up? or is there something special I need to do. I have already started to eat oatmeal, and drink my nursing time tea.

kifli
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Jendiet- mine would go back up. I would just make sure to drink lots of water and nurse frequently.

jendiet
08-04-2011, 03:12 PM
ok, still worried about supply, but he seems satisfied. I got him to FINALLY take a bottle. Am eating oatmeal and Nursing time tea. I don't want to give up exclusively bfing.

sacha
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
If your supply has gone down a bit then it's best to avoid the bottle until it goes back up - pumping/expressing still isn't as efficient as the baby himself nursing (which is why women with large supply can sometimes not even pump 1-2oz!!) so just keep him to the breast as much as possible until things are back to normal. Until then, good luck!!!

kifli
08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Got mastitis =0( On 10 days of antibiotics. Can't nurse on that side b/c it is excruciating. I know this is related to inefficient emptying while pumping on that 2 day trip to Southern Cal.

JenDiet- So I always got great advice from the lactation consultants at the hospital in Berkeley where my baby was born. I just spoke with one of the lactation specialists today.
She told me to keep nursing more than bottle feeding if possible b/c baby empties breast more efficiently than the pump.
However, I'm not able to nurse on the left side right now, b/c it's too painful.

So here is what she advised if my supplies go down:
Buy Fenugreek (@Whole Foods, etc.) around the 500-600mg capsules.
Take 2 capsules with every meal.
So you should take 6 total the first day.
7 total the 2nd day.
8 total the 3rd day.....you get the point.
Keep taking and increasing by 1 capsule per day until your milk supply is where you want it.
DO NOT EXCEED 16 Capsules per day.

For me, she said I can tell if my supply is enough if I am getting 2oz from pumping right after I nurse the baby in the morning. For me that 2 ounces is for storage, or if I want to top the baby off with 2 oz of formula at night (I have never done this, but may try to see if he sleeps a little bit longer). So you figure out the amount of Fenugreek to take if you think your supply may need to be upped a little due to a lower supply or if you were supplementing so that your supply doesn't go down.

If you are still exclusively breastfeeding, then you may not need to take Fenugreek, and just do as the poster above recommended....avoid the bottle, nurse on cue, and your supply will go up naturally. My baby is almost 9 months old and I have never had to take Fenugreek or anything else if I just follow his nursing needs. It went back up naturally.
This mastitis is what may kill my supply and force me to take the Fenugreek.

banananutmuffin
08-04-2011, 05:37 PM
kifli: sorry to hear about mastitis! That is so painful! Feel better soon!

kifli
08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Banana: Your kind words were so good to hear. I'm not feeling well at all, but I need to take care of the baby and toddler, as well as feed the baby on one side, give a bottle of bm for the other side, then pump every 3 hours and in the middle of the night twice. Feeling pretty low right now. Thank you, again.

jendiet
08-05-2011, 03:54 AM
blah, kifli, i am so sorry you are going through that. Thank you for the advice. the nursing time tea has fenugreek in it. I haven't resorted to capsules yet, but if I keep having trouble I will. I have some advice. Garlic for you. babies love the taste of garlic in your milk (look it up) and it will give you a boost to get over that infection.

he's nursing less often, but seems satisfied. this is so confusing! I haven't been able to pump again, and I only gave him the bottle so he wouldn't reject them. He's been rejecting all bottles--we went out to eat, and I gave him a bottle during dinner.

kifli
08-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Jendiet: If he's seems satisfied, he probably is. It's nice when they don't nurse as often....giving us a little break =0)

Thanks for the garlic advice....I like it too!

Eskimo Chubbs
08-05-2011, 07:52 PM
New here glad to have found a nursing weightloss support thread i nurse my almost 9month old, i pump at work it sucks lol and nurse her at nights shes exclusively bf only eats solids here and there they don't replace her breastmilk yet Polly won't til she's a year or so any ways happy to be here :)

kifli
08-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Eskimo: Welcome! My Luke was born November 15, 2011. So he is also almost 9 months old too =0) I also have another boy who just turned 3.
That is so admirable to pump while at work, especially that long. Great going!!!
Anyway, glad you could join.

jendiet
08-06-2011, 04:07 AM
eskimo, i need some of your pumping determination. Welcome.

Mumof 2D
08-06-2011, 11:24 AM
ARGH.....in the past two weeks my Meme has sprouted 2 teeth and learned to crawl and is now climbing up on things! I have been going CRAZY! I have super sore nips from her falling asleep on the boob and her new little teeth rubbing on them and she has kept me so busy chasing after her...as I type this she just dumped a whole box of mail I was sorting. YIKES I am so bummed out because I broke a small bone in my foot and have not been able to get to the gym. It sucks because I was really enjoying it alot.

banananutmuffin
08-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Mumof2D: Yeah, it can be hard sometimes, can't it? When my LO first sprouted teeth, she took to giving me majorly hard bites every once in a while. Fortunately, she eventually stopped doing that. But her teeth do still rub me raw sometimes. And when she started crawling... ARG! I could no longer set her on the floor and expect her to be in the same place a few minutes later. Now she's into everything!! It's a challenging time, for sure.

Eskimo Chubbs
08-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks! I've been pumping since she was exactly 5months its sucks but it sure beats buying formula lol

kifli
08-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Eskimo & Banana:
I can relate! My baby is a very fast crawler now. He's into everything and puts everything he can find in his mouth. I even caught him trying to suck on the cable jacks sticking out of the wall!

He has 6 teeth total. I think this may be how I got mastitis. I had a blocked milk duct from inefficient emptying stemming from that trip away in which I had to pump. He was frustrated due to the slow milk flow, and as a result he caused trauma with his teeth, and I ended up getting a Staph infection from an open wound.
I had to pump that side for 2 days straight because I was in so much pain with the swelling and trauma. I just nursed him on that side for the first time tonight.
His teeth are still scraping me =0(
I'm so on edge with the nursing right now! It's so painful. Ugh. This really is a bummer. I'm truly afraid to BF him! If I get bit, I think I'll cry =0( I'm healing, but it is SOOO SlOW.

Tanna Banana
08-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi to all...

I'm not nursing just yet, but I'll be having a baby in 8 days so I thought I'd sign up. :)

My plan is to exclusively BF for most of my 7wk maternity leave. I'll probably pump a litle bit after an evening feeding so I can build up my freezer supply b/c LO will definitely have to have a bottle or two once I go back to work. A week or two before I go back to work, I'll start giving her the bottles she'll have to take while I'm gone. I hope it works out!

kifli- How old is your LO? Mastitis always sounds so painful! I hope you can recover soon.

kifli
08-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi Tanna, Congratulations on the pending arrival of your little girl! It's such an exciting time....I loved that time so much. Is this your first?

My baby will be 9 months next Monday. I also have a 3yo. I breastfed both of them. Don't be worried about the mastitis. I haven't had any problems with infections up until now. It was just because I took a trip away from the baby and started having blocked milk ducts as a result. I'm back to nursing now, but it's still a little sore.

Breastfeeding shouldn't be painful after the newborn days. I had a lot of pain initially with both kids, but eventually it went away. The latch was right, but both times there was a break-in period for me.

Word of advice: Pump as much as possible after your feeds the first 3 months if you plan on breastfeeding longer. It helps establish your milk supply long term. I had a whole mini freezer full of BM stashed b/c your body doesn't know how much to produce initially (ex. your body can produce enough for multiples) and you can pump the most at this time, but the baby drinks hardly anything since she is so little still.
If you are just going to bf for a little while, try to take advantage of this time to get that extra milk stored. The drawback is sleep deprivation from around the clock feeding, so it is really hard to pump when you would rather sleep!

Anyway, congratulations to you and your family =0) How precious to have a little girl! =0)

Tanna Banana
08-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the good advice, Kifli :)

I have a 3.5 y/o daughter, and I BF'ed her for a year. It was painful for about the first eight weeks, but I think a lot of that was because she was a preemie and had some latching problems with her itty bitty mouth. I did quite a bit of pumping with her and ended up producing too much milk for a while! I'm a good dairy cow! hehe. I never had anything worse than thrush with her. That was uncomfortable, but nothing like mastitis.

The biggest difference this time around is that I will be working full-time when I go back to work rather than part time. Pumping during the school day will be a new experience. I'm looking into one of those double-pump bra thingies. We rented a hospital grade pump and will do that again since it was so fast and efficient.

You're doing great on your weight loss! I've gained about 40 pounds, and while I'm carrying it fairly well now, I'm curious as to what the "aftermath" will be. I'm anxious to get back into exercising once the doc gives me the all-clear. I'm not going to restrict calories for the first few months while my milk is established, but I will keep track of my foods. I think this will help me avoid the over-indulgence I succumbed to with DD1.

I'd love your advice or anyone else's in regards to post-partum weight loss.

:D

kifli
08-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Hi Tanna - Your in great shape as far as the 40 pound gain. That is what I gained with my first baby and my body looked pretty good after the loss.

My second one is a completely different story. I was 41 when I had my last baby. I don't know if this contributed to my excessive gain or not since my eating seemed to be the same, but I gained about 70 pounds with this pregnancy!

So I had the baby in November of last year. For the first couple of months, I did nothing to lose weight, just ate healthier and let my body lose what it does naturally. After my body stopped losing naturally, I started calorie counting. About 1700-1800 calories per day, sometimes a little more. That worked for a long time and I was able to maintain supply. I lost about 50 pounds that way, but wasn't able to lose anymore for the past several months. So I joined Jenny Craig to help stay on plan. I am now eating about 1500 to 1700 calories per day. I shoot for 1500, but often go over. My milk supply is established now, so I think the lower calories are okay for me.

With the first baby, I was 164, then my body went down naturally to 142, then I joined Jenny Craig to lose the rest (again calorie controlled).
This pregnancy has been brutal on my body. I'm gonna finish losing some more weight, then tone up with exercise.
The first pregnancy with the 40 pound gain, I was able to lose with diet, no exercise, and I still looked okay.
Not this time around!!!

Anyway, sorry about the advice above. I wasn't sure if you were a new or seasoned 'Mom'. If you were new, I wanted to give some advice, because I know breastfeeding can sometimes be challenging and with my first I battled low supply problems.

I also pumped at work with the first baby. I bought one of those bras for double pumping. It had good reviews from everyone, but I hated it. Just me. I instead prefer to pump with the hair bands interlooped together and connected to my bra strap. I'm pretty large above, but 2 bands on each side seem to work fine. I didn't know about this method until I read it online.
I also rented a hospital grade symphony for 6 months with this baby. I loved it. It was about the same efficiency as my Medela PIS, but much gentler and quieter. We moved to another state, so I returned it.

Anyway, you sound like you are prepared and have planned well! Are you having a scheduled delivery? I had my first and second one 2 weeks early. You are soo close!
Congrats again =0)

Tanna Banana
08-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Anyway, sorry about the advice above. I wasn't sure if you were a new or seasoned 'Mom'. If you were new, I wanted to give some advice, because I know breastfeeding can sometimes be challenging and with my first I battled low supply problems.

Anyway, you sound like you are prepared and have planned well! Are you having a scheduled delivery? I had my first and second one 2 weeks early. You are soo close!
Congrats again =0)

I didn't mind the advice at all! Even though it's not my first go-round, there's always something new to be learned. And this pregnancy is WAY different than my first (better, actually). I figure the BF experience probably will be too. :)

It sounds like you are definitely in control and doing awesome with your weight loss!! Your stats are fairly similar to mine- I'm a little taller at 5'4" and I'd like to eventually get to 130ish.

I gained 40 with my first DD (except I had her at 34 weeks- I probably would have gained 50-60 if I had gone full term). After I had DD my weight stabilized at 165ish and then it took me 9 more months to get back to pre-pregnancy weight of 145. Now, even though I've gained 40 like I did last time, my weight seems more balanced and less noticeable. I hope this means it will come off more easily. It was a fight last time, especially since I couldn't kick my treat habit!

If I make it to my c section date, she'll be coming a week from today. I've been having some pretty decent contractions though- nothing regular yet, but definitely more frequent- so we'll see what happens. We're excited!

Now I'm hungry... of course. haha :D

jendiet
08-09-2011, 09:48 PM
ugh, i'm scared with all the stories of evil little teeth gnawing away at boobs.

is it too late to up my milk supply? should i start pumping after every feed? I just have so little time. I don't want to lose my milk supply. He's 3 months old now.

give me some advice. I pumped last night, and my milk barely filled my boobs this am. he got a little restless at the boob again too. I hope he is getting enough.

kifli
08-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Jen- I'm not a lactation consultant, but if your little guy seems satisfied after exclusive bf'ing for 3 months, your supply is probably just fine. My guy always gets restless, still.
You could throw in a pump or two to help your supply or get some extra to freeze. They recommend pumping in the morning right after the first morning feed to get the most. I pump at night right after the last feed before his bedtime, since this is easiest for me. Or both (but that is tiring). I wouldn't worry about supply as long as baby is exclusively feeding. He will keep up your supply naturally. He will feed more often if your supply starts to drop. You can't really tell by your boobs being full, because they really start to regulate after a few months. I rarely get engorged anymore. Although I have heard other women say they do. Sounds like you are doing just fine!

jendiet
08-10-2011, 04:48 AM
ok thanks Kifli, i just worry that I am going to starve him, If my breasts are not engorged with milk.

Tanna Banana
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
ok thanks Kifli, i just worry that I am going to starve him, If my breasts are not engorged with milk.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I think I was often engorged with DD until she was about 3/4ish months old, and then my supply regulated. It's really awesome when that happens. Life gets way more comfortable :)

jendiet
08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
well, i think it is true about barley and oat meal because my supply feels better when I eat those things. I am eating them everyday now.

kifli
08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
July 9 - 144
July 16 - 140.5
July 23 - 140.5
July 29 - 139
Aug 5 - 138
Aug 12 - 136.5

Weigh-in Day today:
Down 1.5 pounds. Was hoping for 2.

(Seems like I'm fighting to lose every ounce).

JenDiet: I hear you about the barley and oatmeal. I eat oatmeal regularly too.
I also had a good chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe. I miss those cookies!
But right now 'thin' is more satisfying =0)

jendiet
08-13-2011, 01:14 AM
well, the weight is coming off, and more importantly the inches. So I am going to keep doing IF until I feel the need for something else.

kifli
08-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Currently bored with my own picture and weight loss ticker. You may see it changing. Thought I would put up a real picture of Kifli. I still love kifli! (a Hungarian bread). =0)

Jendiet: what is IF?
Update: Ok, so I just read on another post that it's Intermittent Fasting. I have a hard time going without food, but I'm curious! =0)

jendiet
08-13-2011, 03:53 AM
mmm, that kifli looks good. It would probably give you tremendous results since you are losing that last 5 lbs girl. The reward at the end of the fast, is you can eat what you want. you usually still have a calorie deficit by the end of it.

kifli
08-13-2011, 04:27 AM
JenDiet: Tell Me More!!! Trying to lose these last pounds is dreadful.

jendiet
08-13-2011, 04:41 AM
ok, kifli, here it is. Intermittent fasting is where you do not eat except for certain hours during the day, I chose a 7 hour window. One of the proponents of IF says you can have something with <50 calories in it and it will not break the fast. I have a cup of tea with honey and milk...I drink this maybe twice during my fast. When you break the fast, be carefuly, you will be hungry. I usually reach for protein and veggies, so I don't blow my calories. If I want carbs, I eat carbs then. Stay balanced, eat protein, veggies and complex carbs mostly. You can have a little bit of icecream or kifli if you want-but don't go overboard. Once your window ends, stop eating. no more food, except your less than 50 calorie thing. Also, I recommend no food--maybe tea or coffee during your fast, so your body can rest from digesting and focus on repairing.

The first couple of days you may be ravenous, but then you will get used to it. I think fasting is promoting greater fat loss for me. My weight loss is slow but it takes alot more fat to equal the size of 1 lb of muscle. Studies show that IF preserves lean muscle mass so that is why I like it.

Experts say to not go any longer than 17 hours of fasting for women. My window is late. 5pm to 12 am. But that is because of my schedule with the baby. Most people do better with breaking their fast at night.

kifli
08-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks, Jen. Gonna do it tomorrow, starting tonight. The only problem is, I am soo hungry already!

I was such a stick in high school (younger, faster metabolism), 98 pounds. My diet was no breakfast, then a huge plate of fries at lunch in the school cafeteria (literally a whole plate), then a snickers bar until dinner at home. Nothing after that. Although not healthy by any means, I was really doing an IF!

Tanna Banana
08-13-2011, 11:54 AM
That IF stuff sounds really interesting. Obiovusly, I can't do anything like that unitl my milk supply is regulated. I read the IF support thread on here a few days ago... my interest is piqued, for sure.

I just wonder if I'd be really grumpy for my students in the morning until I had food. haha.

jendiet
08-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Tanna, it really depends. I feel grumpy until i have a little tea. For you, i might try starting it on the weekend. That will give you 2 days to get used to it.

Tanna, once your milk comes in, if you have some fluff, your body is incredible at adapting it to your diet. If you are on the skinny side, i wouldn't recommend it. I don't notice a difference when I IF either way. I had more trouble in the beginning of bfing with my milk. But he's 3 months now, so I'm regulated.

3 more days til your beautiful daughter is here! so exciting!!!

Tanna Banana
08-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Tanna, it really depends. I feel grumpy until i have a little tea. For you, i might try starting it on the weekend. That will give you 2 days to get used to it.

Tanna, once your milk comes in, if you have some fluff, your body is incredible at adapting it to your diet. If you are on the skinny side, i wouldn't recommend it. I don't notice a difference when I IF either way. I had more trouble in the beginning of bfing with my milk. But he's 3 months now, so I'm regulated.

3 more days til your beautiful daughter is here! so exciting!!!

Totally love how I spelled "obviously"...I was having early morning typing problems. haha.

I'll probably have 20-30 pounds of fluff to rid myself of once this LO is born. I might look into IF after a little while- I'm assuming you meant that your body did not have problems adapting milk production to your diet. Did I read that right?

Anyhow... I'll probably have some questions about it. I'm not sure if it'll work for me. But I am interested. :)

jendiet
08-16-2011, 03:15 AM
tanna, i am so excited for you! For now concentrate on taking care of yourself and eating nutritiously. When I got home from having my c-section. I wanted lots of ice cream. That didn't look too good on me. How I lost weight is beyond me. I think I would have lost more and more quickly if I hadn't indulged so much.

Enjoy your baby girl, and take care of yourself!

Mumof 2D
08-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Blahhhhhhhhhhhh........so I totally fell off the wagon the minute my period showed its ugly head. I find this happens every month. I get the insane urge to eat like crazy and then I just tumble right off the wagon into a pit of cookies. LOL I am getting on track right now though. I have come down with a nasty chest cold so I am staying out of the gym for a bit. Which sucks because I have already not been there for awhile because of my stupid broken toe.

kifli
08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Hang in there Mumof2D. Hope you feel better soon. That sucks about your toe...ouch!
I fell off the wagon too this week. I keep trying to get back on, but keep blowing it. Okay, here goes again...=0)

jendiet
08-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Mum, just get right back on track, you can do it.

kifli, if you are trying IF and failing--maybe it's not for you. I wonder if you are talking about that in your post? Don't feel bad whatever it is, you have done so amazing--YOU WILL GET TO GOAL.

I lost another lb. I am so glad. I have kind of fallen off the wagon with my exercise though--so easy to do. I woke up today though, and I had so much milk both of my boobs felt like they would burst. He's sleeping through the night. So I fed him and then pumped almost 6 oz.

kifli
08-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey Jen: No, it's not IF. It's me!!! I totally went hog wild on the ice cream this week among other things. Thankfully I didn't do too much damage, but I really needed to see a loss. I was supposed to go down 1.5 to 2 pounds b/c I'm trying to fit into a dress I bought for my friends wedding next Saturday the 27th. It was my motivation, but I blew it =0(
I think IF will work for me. It's easy for me to follow, if I can just stay away from the sweets and deep-fried stuff. I'm gonna continue with JC until I get burned out, and then give IF a real shot.

Congrats on the pound lost! And thanks for the encouragement =0)

kifli
08-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Weigh in: Down 1.5! So Wierd!!! Totally shocked about this...and I hope it sticks. I ate horribly all week but cut calories the last 2 days. Maybe it was IF! Anyway, I may not make 3 pounds to goal by next week, but I'm gonna try =0)

Jen: That is SO AWESOME your little guy sleeps through the night! I wish my guy would. With the dieting and all, I still have just enough milk with night feedings =0( Gettting sleep probably helps your supply as well =0)

RRB2
08-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Completely fell of the wagon. My 8 month old was such a great napper and then all of a sudden started taking 15 minute naps (instead of a good 2 -hour ones). I did my workouts daily during her naps.
With the older 3 kids home for the summer, trips, nursing, eating out, picnics and no exercise- I gained a few pounds and now 2 lbs away from my heaviest weight! How depressing...
I truly don;t look in the mirror anymore - too disgusted with myself.

kifli
08-21-2011, 12:41 AM
RRB2: Oh how I value nap time! Seems like my little 9 month old doesn't want to nap either right now. Just too many things to discover at this age.

Anyway, don't get down on yourself. It's definitely a journey, but you will get there =0) I always fall off the wagon, but at least you can always hop back on! School will be starting soon and hopefully you will get a little time to yourself =)

Goddess Jessica
08-21-2011, 12:43 AM
RRB2 - Be patient with yourself. You're not going to lose weight any faster by being disgusted with yourself. Disgust does not burn calories. :) You're having a normal reaction to some extenuating circumstances, you've identified the pressures and that's half the battle! Take a breath. You need love too!

I've been eating terribly the last 5 weeks. My little goddess is now nine weeks old and I'm ready to get back on the wagon.

I can't get a "real" lunch right now because she won't nap unless I'm holding her but she goes down in the evening really well so I'll take it. For the last few weeks, not getting a "real" lunch means I've been eating entire boxes of cookies, or crackers. I've bought some meal replacement shakes so that I can get something nutritionally more sound than that (I know it's not perfect) and concentrating on having better breakfasts and dinners.

Why are babies so much work?!

I'm also going to start adding walks to my daily routine. She tends to sleep when I'm walking so this will benefit us both. Plus getting out of the house is ALWAYS a good way to remember that the entire world does not revolve around me, poopy diapers, breastfeeding, and naps. :)

kifli
08-22-2011, 02:38 AM
I ate horribly this weekend. The dress I bought for the next weekend's wedding looks terrible on me ....big bulging stomach in an elegant gown =0(
I just needed to lose 2 more, but instead gained 2 more in the last couple of days. UGH.
How I wish this wedding wasn't in the Caribbean (bikini territory).
After trying on clothes tonight in the local department store, I have to be honest and say that although I have lost a lot of weight, my body reallly looks awful still. This 2nd pregnancy really did it in. After the 1st pregnancy, my body looked much nicer at this same weight. Poor body! I definitely abused it with too much weight gain =0(

Tanna Banana
08-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Little Rachel is one week old today! Things are going well... especially now that my nipples hae toughened up and don't feel like they're on fire everytime I feed her (OUCH!!! Sorry TMI).

I have a few questions for you wonderful mamas...

First, at what point did you say you were at your "Starting Weight"? I'm down 15 lbs since delivery, and I thought I wouldn't set my starting weight until after my 2 week follow-up. I know it really doesn't matter, I'm just curious what y'all did.

Second, for you calorie counter types, when did you/will you start counting calories for weight loss? I know I am going to need to eat more for BF'ing, but at this point, I feel it's too early to start counting and exact number- but may that's just a cop-out. For now I thought about just tracking what I eat... hopefully I will stop eating so many treats! :dizzy:

Finally, do you have any tips or pearls of wisdom about losing weight while BF'ing? I nursed my first daughter for a year, but I didn't do a great job with my eating and struggled to lose the weight. I'm planning on exercising some more self-control this time around.

Thanks!!

kifli
08-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Tanna:
Congratulations!!! Glad breastfeeding is getting more bearable =0) I always had a break-in period...those first weeks are tough!

As far as weight loss:
For the first couple of months, I did nothing to lose weight, just ate healthier and let my body lose what it does naturally.

After my body stopped losing naturally, I started calorie counting. About 1700-1800 calories per day, sometimes a little more. That worked for a long time and I was able to maintain supply. I lost about 50 pounds that way, but wasn't able to lose anymore for the past several months.

I am now eating about 1500 to 1700 calories per day. I shoot for 1500, but often go over. My milk supply is established now, so I think the lower calories are okay for me. I lose about 1.5 pounds a week if I stay on plan.

I used my high pregnancy weight as my starting weight. It was 194.
Hope that helps.

Irispetals
08-25-2011, 02:22 AM
I have read a lot of yalls posts and I'm truly inspired by all of you. It's very hard to have a child and focus on yourself to lose the pregnancy weight at the same time.

I just had my second child a boy and my first was girl she is now two. I'm having difficulties with this baby more than I had with my first, his jaundice is a lil high and he sleeps way more than my daughter ever did. So I worry a lot, while running around chasing her, at least I'm getting my exercise :D!

On top of all that he doesn't eat as much as my first child and I'm producing so much milk that I'm pumping and storing it hopefully he will start eating more.

I'm not complaining that I have a big supply of milk so don't get me wrong there, I'm just worried that he isn't getting enough to eat, but he is having enough wet and poopie diapers so i guess that's good.

I just wanna know if I'm doing everything I can for him?

Tanna Banana
08-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I have read a lot of yalls posts and I'm truly inspired by all of you. It's very hard to have a child and focus on yourself to lose the pregnancy weight at the same time.

I just had my second child a boy and my first was girl she is now two. I'm having difficulties with this baby more than I had with my first, his jaundice is a lil high and he sleeps way more than my daughter ever did. So I worry a lot, while running around chasing her, at least I'm getting my exercise :D!

On top of all that he doesn't eat as much as my first child and I'm producing so much milk that I'm pumping and storing it hopefully he will start eating more.

I'm not complaining that I have a big supply of milk so don't get me wrong there, I'm just worried that he isn't getting enough to eat, but he is having enough wet and poopie diapers so i guess that's good.

I just wanna know if I'm doing everything I can for him?

If he's gaining weight and peeing/pooping enough, he's probably fine. It's always a good question for your pediatrician though. Just to be safe.:)

I have the most luck waking up the newborn to eat by changing her diaper or putting her down on a blanket. She prefers to be snuggled, and laying her down on a blankie usually wakes her up pretty quick.

Congrats on your new sweetie!

RRB2
08-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Newborns can be tough to read. At this point I would just count the wet/poopy diapers to make sure he gets enough.
Great that you're pumping to maintain the supply.
My milk supply always diminishes drastically once I start limiting calories (and carbs)

kifli
08-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Iris: It sounds like you are doing a great job! Definitely store that pumped milk! It will come in handy later....especially if a sleepy baby doesn't keep up your supply. (This is what happened to me with my first. He was and still is extremely sleepy and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING would keep him awake. He would wake for a minute, but as soon as it was time to eat, he would be asleep again. My supply plummeted, causing me to pump around the clock!). If you don't have supply issues, you can also use it in his cereal when he starts solids, or to eventually wean him.
My first baby and second baby, both boys, are both in less than the 5th percentile as far as weight gain. Both of them didn't gain their weight back shortly after birth. However, the pediatrician wasn't concerned because they were slowly gaining and continued to have soiled diapers. They were skinny, but healthy. The first one also had jaundice, but it was mild. Just ask your pedi if the little one is doing okay =0)
Congratulations on your precious little baby!

Irispetals
08-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Thank you all for the encouraging words! Yea his pedi was concerned at first cause he went from one day of being 8.10 to 8.8 so she thought I wasn't feeding him enough but now his weight went back up so she is happy.

I was wondering how u can get all you calories in one day without eating so much crap? I've been struggling somewhat cause I'm not as hungry all the time and when I am I tend to not go for the right stuff.

jendiet
08-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Iris, congratulations, and you got some good advice.

RR, don't forget what exercising does to it. My supply is 1/2 what it was 2 days ago, because I went on an exercise jaunt. blah! At least he is still pooping and peeing. For the meanwhile, my weight has gone back up...blah.

RRB2
08-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Pleased with myself today :)
We were invited to a big buffet and I hadn't touched anth! (Some cucumbers)
Stayed mostly on-plan today, lot's of protein, salads one planned treat -wholewheat eggless chocolate cake slice, and loads and loads of water.
Just had to share :D

kifli
08-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Okay, so the Caribbean trip at an all-inclusive resort with drinks, buffet, room-service and restaurants galore....did me in!!!
I gained 4 pounds in 4 days....no joke!
How is this possible?!?!!!
Anyway, so August was bust.
No more vacations planned for a while.
I reset my goals lower, but I should be able to achieve them.
I don't want to be a bad example to others. I would rather be inspirational! So here we go, again....

RR: excellent job staying away from the buffet. I personally know that this is hard to do!

Iris: Congrats!
As far as getting calories in, my diet usually goes something like this:

Breakfast - Anything with dairy and a fruit, totaling 300 calories (ex. cereal with bananas/ blueberry muffin with milk)
AM snack - Anything dairy (yogurt, pudding, string cheese or cottage cheese)
Lunch - Anything totaling 400 calories (ex frozen entree or fresh food)
Dinner - Anything totaling 400 calories (same as lunch)
Late night snack - Sandwich or low fat ice cream totaling 300 calories.

I try to get a green veggie in with lunch and an orange veggie in with dinner.

Irispetals
08-31-2011, 01:24 AM
Well I bought a scale and I'm back to my pre pregnancy weight which is good, but I thought I lost more oh well. Every milestone crossed is good.

Did go over on my calories today by like almost 400, was doing really well till dinner, but my husband made it and I can't complain. Oh well there is always tomorrow hehe =)!

jendiet
09-02-2011, 08:30 AM
RR, buffets usually do me in.

kifli, you couldn't have gained a REAL 4 lbs in 4 days.

Iris-woot. prepregnancy weight is my goal now. That 400 will be a metabolism booster.

afm: still jogging, shaping up nicely. Still doing IF. My milk supply seems to be doing nicely. He doesn't complain and nurses for less time but seems satisfied.

RRB2
09-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Blah, TOM is here, driving kids to ballet, basketball, Kung-Fu with a baby in a tow = carb attack! OK, just one day slip-up, back on track tomorrow!

Tanna Banana
09-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Blah, TOM is here, driving kids to ballet, basketball, Kung-Fu with a baby in a tow = carb attack! OK, just one day slip-up, back on track tomorrow!

Oh my!! That sounds really busy! I don't have near the stuff going on that you do, but I still ate like crazy for the past four days at my parents house. No excuse really. I was eating for comfort. It's silly and I need to alter the habit.

Thank heaven for BF'ing. I didn't lose any weight, but didn't gain either. I need to get y eating under control.

Speaking of BF'ing...
My LO has gnawed/pulled a fissure in my right nipple that is taking FOREVER to heal. It's a "C" shape that follows the circular shape of the nipple shaft- does that make sense?:dizzy: Last week, I swore LO was going to tear a flap off the top of it. It was so painful and a little bloody (gross...sorry!!). I've been pumping that side and nursing on the other which has lead to some interesting supply issues...haha, but those are working out. It's slowly getting better, but it's driving me nuts!!! I'm afraid putting her back on will open the crack right back up.

I called a LC for help. She thinks LO may have a tight upper-lip frenulum. We have a pedi appointment tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be able to answer some questions.

Any pointers on getting your nipple to heal more quickly? I know I don't have thrush. I've been using Polysporin at the advice of the LC to prevent infection. I also used Lanolin and oilive oil. I've tried "moist wound care" and letting them be exposed to the air. It is closing, but it's taking a really long time. I'd welcome any magical solutions. I'm going to ask the doc tomorrow too.

Bless you if you made it through my whole post. Sorry for the novel.

jendiet
09-08-2011, 10:26 AM
ugh, tanna, my lo just recently started causing me nipple issues, in the very beginning--I used a nipple shield. Sorry, but I just couldn't handle the pain. It WAS a God Send! I used the medela nipple shield almost every time I nursed. Gradually, I used it less and less and my nipples toughended up.

make sure to wipe breastmilk around the sore nipples. that really helps. I Hope you get some information today!

kifli
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi Tanna,

Hope you are doing better now. I had nipple issues as well right before the mastitis, when I was having blocked ducts. The baby did some damage while trying to get the milk out. I did the same thing as you. Eventually it healed, but I know how it is to have to pump that side every time! It sucks, especially if you are already sleep deprived. I also took Ibuprofen for a couple of days, around the clock, since I also had inflammation.

Anyway, let us know how you are doing =0)

Irispetals
09-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Hey Tanna

Sounds like your doing everything u can for your injury, just keep it up and it will heal soon. Love your determination on Bf even when your hurt. I had some problems with my first child not as bad as yours but I was soar from the get-go and it continued for 2-3 weeks I thought about giving up but I kept at it, until she was 4 months old, when I went back to work. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hope all you lovely ladies are doing good as well?! Things are going more smoothly with my son he's been eating a whole lot more I'm so happy!

Tanna Banana
09-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words ladies. Thankfully, things are healing up prety nicely, and while I'm still pretty sore, LO can nurse on both sides now! Pedi said absolutely to NOT touch her frenulum. Our hope is that things will continue to improve as she gets older and bigger.

Now it's time to plan for when I go back to work. Hopefully we can exclusively BF, but I'm not opposed to some formula supplementation. This BF thing is an obsession!

Hope all you ladies are doing great!

abbysue715
09-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Tanna, mother love nipple cream. It is like heaven for sore nipples. Love love love it.

Tanna Banana
09-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Tanna, mother love nipple cream. It is like heaven for sore nipples. Love love love it.

Where do you buy it?

MaddiesMommy211
09-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi Ladies,

I am a new mother and I lost half of my baby weight but the other half is not going anywhere I am hoping that I can find the confidence that I once had. I am at 186lbs and my goal is 150 by Feb 1. Which is 143 days or just over 20 weeks. 2 pounds a week is my goal.
My daughter is 7 months old and I have a good milk supply, I have tried different weight loss plans, calorie counting and Weight Watchers to name a few and I haven't had success so tomorrow it's time to try the old fashioned way, exercise and healthy eating. Is there any advice that you can give me. I am hoping to have my bikini body back by the time we fly to Fl.

Thank you ladies

Tanna Banana
09-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi Ladies,

I am a new mother and I lost half of my baby weight but the other half is not going anywhere I am hoping that I can find the confidence that I once had. I am at 186lbs and my goal is 150 by Feb 1. Which is 143 days or just over 20 weeks. 2 pounds a week is my goal.
My daughter is 7 months old and I have a good milk supply, I have tried different weight loss plans, calorie counting and Weight Watchers to name a few and I haven't had success so tomorrow it's time to try the old fashioned way, exercise and healthy eating. Is there any advice that you can give me. I am hoping to have my bikini body back by the time we fly to Fl.

Thank you ladies

Hi! I don't really have any sage advice, but I'm right there with you on my goals. It all boils down to moving more and eating less. There's lots of great info on 3FC. I love coming here and being inspired. We can do it!! :D

MaddiesMommy211
09-12-2011, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=Tanna Banana;4029481]Hi! I don't really have any sage advice, but I'm right there with you on my goals. It all boils down to moving more and eating less. There's lots of great info on 3FC. I love coming here and being inspired. We can do it!! :D[/Q

I am hoping for the best I just cooked food besides veggies for the week all low fat and high protien meals, lets hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice.

abbysue715
09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Landon just turned 6 months and I am .5 a pound away from 90 pounds lost since he has been born. Woohoo. So proud of myself!

RRB2
09-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Landon just turned 6 months and I am .5 a pound away from 90 pounds lost since he has been born. Woohoo. So proud of myself!

WOW! What an amazing accomplishment!

kifli
09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Abbysue- :congrat:

Tanna Banana
09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
WOW! What an amazing accomplishment!

Agreed! That's wonderful!! :carrot:

kifli
09-24-2011, 03:17 AM
I have not been able to lose this last 20 pounds while breastfeeding. I'm just extremely hungry. My baby is 10 months old now, so I decided to do a slow wean over the next 2 months and stop by November 15, when he will turn 1 yo.
So I have some frozen bm, and I'm going to use that to wean him, starting this coming wednesday.

My plan is to start Jillian Michael's 30 day shred tomorrow. I'm going to give 100% effort (diet and exercise) for the next 30 days and will see what happens. I have never exercised consistently my entire life. My body is in very bad shape now that I'm 42 and just had a baby this last year. I'm a junk food junkie and hate exercise. Today I am motivated.. But I am still weak when it comes to food and cravings =0(

So here goes.
I might mention I also feel sad about weaning Luke. He is my last baby. I will miss the baby days and bond =0( I was supposed to start weaning 2 weeks ago, due to continued sleep deprivation, but still have been nursing him exclusively.

RRB2
09-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Kifli - don't start a new exercise program and a healthy diet on the same day (or week), especially if you're out of shape and junk food addicted (your body depends on sugar rushes to get through the day)
You will get burned out within a week. Start one or the other (i find that when I work out, I WANT to eat cleaner)
Good luck!
I decided not to wean, but started working out gradually, cutting the refined sugars out of my diet and increasing the protein intake. The weight comes off very slowly, but it does!

kifli
09-26-2011, 01:50 AM
RRB2: I didn't know that. Thank you for the advice =)

jendiet
09-29-2011, 03:21 AM
ugh kifli, I don't think you need to do that if you are not ready for it! The longer you bf, the better off he will be. I say that, but I only made it to 9 months with ds1. I am trying for 18mos with Ds2.

point: if you are not ready, don't do it. I started to tear up myself when I ready your post. Who says you can't have another one by the way. Women are having children in their late 40s why can't u? You are already in great shape?

pennykandy
10-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi ladies, new to the forum, starting WW again today :) My LO is 10 months old and still nursing, with no plans to stop any time soon.

Pre-pregnancy I was 275, 280 on the day I gave birth, but only 270 a week postpartum, the first 15 pounds came off pretty quickly (within a month or so) and I've lost another 5-10 pounds slowly since then. I'm currently sitting at 250 and would like to lose another 20 before starting TTC again.

RRB2
10-11-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm so frustrated again! I wok out 6 days a week, eat clean, but I know my body it's so difficult to loose weight while nursing!
1 lb a week is all I hope ofr - it comes off so slowly!
If I cut down my food intake below 2000 - I have no milk! Just needed to vent....

jendiet
10-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I feel your pain, my body rebels against my cutting calories too. I'm pumping to keep up the milk. Keep at 2000, and see if you lose. That is what I am doing.

GwenSue
10-24-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been breast feeding for 23 months and am currently doing the 'don't offer, don't refuse' method of weaning.

After giving birth I was losing sometimes 8 pounds a day. The weight just flew off and by my 6 week appointment I was back to my 'normal' weight (but still overweight).

I moved last December and have had a lot of depression and gained 30 pounds. I'm working on getting back on track and losing what I've gained, plus the rest. haha

Are there any others here who are doing extended nursing? I was wondering what other people are eating calorie wise when extended nursing/weaning while trying to lose weight.

kifli
10-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm back again...
Still breastfeeding. Luke is 11 months now.
Still trying to lose the last 16 pounds =0(

GwenSue: Sorry I don't have any experience with extended breastfeeding. I currently eat 1500-1700 cals per day if I stay on plan. I lose 1-2 pounds a week this way. My problem is I have a very hard time staying on plan!

Jendiet: How are you?! I am having a hard time weaning, yet I am SOOO sleep deprived still. Every time I try to lose these last pounds by cutting calories or exercising my milk supply goes down. Luke wakes about 3 times a night instead of his usual 1 time. The lack of sleep makes me irritable and depressed. I feel for my husband and 3 year old when I feel this way. If the sleep deprivation didn't affect me so much, I would breast feed for a very long time!
I hope you are doing well on your journey =0)

zenor77
10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I've been breast feeding for 23 months and am currently doing the 'don't offer, don't refuse' method of weaning.

After giving birth I was losing sometimes 8 pounds a day. The weight just flew off and by my 6 week appointment I was back to my 'normal' weight (but still overweight).

I moved last December and have had a lot of depression and gained 30 pounds. I'm working on getting back on track and losing what I've gained, plus the rest. haha

Are there any others here who are doing extended nursing? I was wondering what other people are eating calorie wise when extended nursing/weaning while trying to lose weight.

DS is almost 13 months and I'm still nursing. I plan on nursing, at least, two years. Probably longer. I'm very relaxed about the whole thing. I do plan on introducing cows milk soon though. Mommy needs a break occasionally and pumping sucks!

I eat in the 1800-2000 calorie range and try to go for walks 3-5 times a week. I've been losing 1-2 lbs a week.

I did notice that no weight came off when DS was sick with the stomach flu. All he did was nurse when not sleeping. So, I think my body stopped losing due to the increased demand. I was hoping for the opposite. Oh well. I didn't eat well that week (as in, not enough.)

It's frustrating that the weight comes off so slowly. I know it's best this way, but I'd really like to fit in some of my Pre-pregnancy clothes.

kirsteng
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM

My youngest is now 29 months old and still nursing - twice a day (nap and bedtime). I am also doing `don`t offer don`t refuse`, but he wants it those two times and doesn`t seem to be wanting to wean in the slightest! ;)

I started about a month ago and have been doing calorie counting plus 30 mins of exercise about 5 times a week. I am aiming for 1500 cals a day, and with that (plus the 100 ish I often go over) I lose 1-2 a week, now that the big first week is over. It`s a little frustrating as I really feel like it`s a lot of effort for not much progress, but I know that`s how my body works when nursing. When each of my other 2 weaned themselves (around 18 months) I immediatley lost 7 or 8 pounds, without even trying.. and felt my metabolism kick up a notch as well.

Oh well, he`s my last little one, so I`m not going to wish it away..

I`ll have to be the little engine that could! ;)

Irispetals
10-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Hey yall back on here! Nursing for a year is my goal, I'm hoping when i go back to work i dun loose my supply like what happened with my dd. But you ladies nursing past a year that's awesome! I'm hoping to strive like yall are doing.

Any tips on keeping ur supply up? I mean i pump like 3-5 oz on one side if i let it fill up is that good?

Also how often do yall think I should feed my ds he is 2 months and 2 weeks old, i forgot since my dd was nursing.

kirsteng
10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Hey yall back on here! Nursing for a year is my goal, I'm hoping when i go back to work i dun loose my supply like what happened with my dd. But you ladies nursing past a year that's awesome! I'm hoping to strive like yall are doing.

Any tips on keeping ur supply up? I mean i pump like 3-5 oz on one side if i let it fill up is that good?

Also how often do yall think I should feed my ds he is 2 months and 2 weeks old, i forgot since my dd was nursing.

Congratulations on your baby - I bet he's so cute! :)

As for supply, all I can suggest is feed often and drink lots of water. That's all it took for me.

As far as how often, I always did demand feeding. So whenever baby cries, or puts his hands to his mouth, or is fussy... offer. Should be at least every 3-4 hours... the baby is usually pretty darned good at telling mom when he wants a little top-up! ;)