Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default This may sound stupid...

But why is it that, even after all the exercise I've been doing and the weight I've lost my heart will go into overdrive when I walk up those itty bitty steps (you know the ones where you barely step and you're going up??) and I have to control my breathing?? I can jog and no issue, but make me climb two flights of those babies and I am about to pass out. I don't get it. I mean, my heart should be healthier??? I go 3+ miles on the elliptical in forty-five minutes... and I can walk faster on the treadmill, but this just is crazy.

It kind of worries me that I'll have the same heart palpitations I did when I was in Carson City with my boyfriend. I wanted to cry I felt so ashamed, because the climbing of those stairs that were just tiny steps about killed me. Given, that day I hadn't slept in over 24 hours and was hungry . . . and lacked hydration and TOM was visiting.

By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it. But I guess I can ask, how do I fix this??? If I'm loosing the weight and doing cardio how do I make this go away?
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242/183/160

Height: 5' 10"

This is a really good question that I never would have thought to ask... sadly I don't know the answer because I have the same problem. I'm doing the Insanity workout nearly every day, I'm on month 2, and yet I still get winded when I walk slowly up a flight or two of stairs to get to class every morning. Beats the heck out of me!

At first when I started Insanity, I felt like I was bursting with energy. Since I have started the second, more intense part, all of my energy has evaporated. That makes me think it might be a calorie issue - I kept my calories the same though I increased my workout intensity. Maybe my body is trying to tell me to eat more (but that thought scares me!!)

Maybe we should both try to eat a little bit more for a week, just as an experiment, to see if that helps.

Last edited by oxymoronica; 06-10-2011 at 11:26 PM.
oxymoronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't really know, but here's my guess. Going up those stairs is harder work for you than whatever your normal exercise it. You're not conditioning yourself for that particular exercise. And it's hard work, pulling your weight vertically, which is what you're doing. Remember potential energy from HS science?

I had a friend who hiked the entire Appalachian Trail, all 2181 miles of it. I joined her for a day hike near the end. After spending all day everyday for nearly 7 months doing nothing but walking with 35 lbs on her back, she told me that she still got winded going up hills, she had never adjusted. I guess it's just hard work.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
I don't really know, but here's my guess. Going up those stairs is harder work for you than whatever your normal exercise it. You're not conditioning yourself for that particular exercise. And it's hard work, pulling your weight vertically, which is what you're doing. Remember potential energy from HS science?

I had a friend who hiked the entire Appalachian Trail, all 2181 miles of it. I joined her for a day hike near the end. After spending all day everyday for nearly 7 months doing nothing but walking with 35 lbs on her back, she told me that she still got winded going up hills, she had never adjusted. I guess it's just hard work.
Disco! (Or Bingo! ... take your pick)

Every step you take you're lifting up your entire weight with one leg! This is completely different than walking, jogging, or eliptical.

Check out this trainer. Her breathing becomes labored and she is lifting FAR less weight than you ladies. Granted - she is taking bigger steps but you get the point.

So - you want to be able to go up steps without feeling like you're going to die? Do step ups and lunges. 3 sets of what you can manage. Increase your reps per set every workout. Do this three times a week. In a month you'll be ready to kick those steps butt! You don't need to go to the gym to do these. Lunges can be done anywhere. Step ups can be done anywhere there is a step.

Goodluck!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

And apart from the reason above...

Do you breathe when going on stairs?

I know it sounds silly, but I broke my ankle on stairs once and sprained it once badly. So I'm stair-phobic and I find myself holding my breath like "Ahhhh! Will I pitch over?!" unless I deliberately remember to breathe easy and go slow.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-11-2011 at 01:14 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote