General Diet Plans and Questions - How do you pick yourself back up?

View Full Version : How do you pick yourself back up?

Sunshine87
06-10-2011, 04:38 PM
I have been going straight for 5 1/2 weeks and today was the first day that I went over my calorie goal and kind of lost control. I was feeling very discouraged prior to it and now I feel even more discouraged. I am going to this concert tonight and I was so excited for it but now I feel yucky because I thought I was going to have lost more weight by now.

So, my question to all of you folks is what do you do to gain motivation after a lapse?

Riemontana
06-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Well, one day in 5 1/2 weeks is only one day. Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone slips. The difference is that not everyone starts again.

As I read your ticker, you have lost an average of 4 pounds per week. That is cause to celebrate, not a reason to get down on yourself.

Enjoy the concert

Lovely
06-10-2011, 04:51 PM
I think about my next meal or work out.

That sounds kind of odd... let me clarify.

I say "Well, poo. That sucks. I shouldn't have eaten that. Now I feel slumpy..." Then I think "Okay I've gotta get back to doing the right thing or I'm just gonna continue to feel slumpy. What's my next meal? Dinner? Okay what do I have planned? Baked chicken with spices, brown rice cooked with chicken broth, and steamed veggies with lemon pepper. Sounds good. I'll stick to that."

After the next meal and/or workout I feel... back to normal. Usually pretty guilt-free. :)

Jazzie
06-10-2011, 05:08 PM
You know there is no end to could of, would of, should of but didn't. We need to be kind to ourselves and realize no one is perfect. It's like climbing a flight of stairs and we fall. Do we go all the way back down and start over? No We recognize the great progress we have made so far, pick ourselves up and keep going. Enjoy your concert!!!!

Ms Marvel
06-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Think about the next concert, and the one after that, and the one after that - years of concerts! Maybe you didn't lose as much as you wanted for this one (although it looks like you're doing well at four pounds a week), but if you stop, you won't have lost any weight by the next concert. If you keep going, eventually - sooner or later - you'll be going to a concert at your goal weight.

In six months, you could have lost a lot of weight, or you could be looking back to the diet time and thinking "Why didn't I keep that up? I'd have lost so much by now..."

I think everyone fails occasionally. Success is getting back on the horse and not letting one fall wreck everything.