General Diet Plans and Questions - Couscous Vs. Brown Rice

View Full Version : Couscous Vs. Brown Rice

jmojica
06-10-2011, 04:33 PM
So I am trying to determine which of these two I should really be eating. Some site say that Couscous has higher protein and lower calories than Brown rice but less Fiber than brown rice. If I am getting fiber from other sources (whole grain pasta, fruits and veggies) should I just be more concern with lower calories? I personally like the taste of Couscous better than brown rice. Any brands of brown rice that taste decent?

:?:

QuilterInVA
06-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Couscous is not a whole grain. It's actually pasta from semolina.

wurdnerd
06-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Lundberg makes something called brown rice couscous. It's nothing more than rice that has been chopped into small couscous size pieces. It cooks quicker than normal grain rice and you might like the flavor better.

jmojica
06-11-2011, 02:47 PM
thanks!

Suzanne 3FC
06-11-2011, 04:13 PM
You can buy whole wheat couscous as well.

As far as good tasting brown rice, I personally prefer the flavor of brown basmati. You can also buy brown jasmine rice.

osaunt
06-11-2011, 04:51 PM
You also might consider quinoa. It has a little more calories 127 vs 109 per 1/2 cup of brown rice, but more protein, 4.5 vs 2.3 per serving. I still enjoy both, but quinoa cooks up faster ~15-20 minutes, so I end up having it more often:)

jmojica
06-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I actually had both suggestions and I love them both! The Bastami brown rice is awesome!

Suzanne 3FC
06-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm glad you liked it, it's yummy!

I'm trying to learn to love quinoa as osaunt suggested, for the increase in protein content. It's a tricky one for some people, myself included.

Esofia
06-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Try quinoa flakes in soup, then. I don't particularly like it when it's cooked as a grain to accompany a dish, but I love it in soup.

Suzanne 3FC
06-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I've never even noticed flakes before. I'll check that out, thanks!

osaunt
06-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Quinoa, when used as a grain has good texture but can lack in flavor itself. But the good news is that it takes on the flavor it's cooked with. It's really versatile , similar to eggplant and tofu. It can help to cook in a broth instead of water and season, season, season! You can also make a breakfast quinoa, cooked in milk(dairy or nut) with cinnamon and a bit of agave -YUM! Okay I'll sop pimping quinoa now -I promise:) Although I'll have to check out quinoa flakes, Esofia, I've never heard of them before.