General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.8/170.4/135

Height: 5'4

Default Not consuming enough calories, but i'm not hungry either...

Hey guys!

So i'm 170 at 5'4 (have lost 10 lbs, need to lose about 35 more me thinks) and i'm calorie counting... I'm supposed to be eating 1,200 calories a day to keep about a pound and a half loss per week. Lately, i've been ending up at around 1,000 or so per day but that doesn't include exercise. And even more recently i've noticed myself getting fuller much quicker and at the end of the day i'm at... 6? maybe 700? But i'm not starving... Should I try to push down more calories during the day..?

I don't want my body to go into "starvation" mode or whatever... That's my biggest fear as i've heard that slows your metabolism...

Help?!
southerntruckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

First of all, starvation mode is a myth.

Secondly, listen to your body. If you're full after 700 calories and you have plenty of energy, you're sleeping well, and losing weight at a pace you can live with, then why push yourself to eat more?

I'm your height and weight and I usually eat about 850 calories a day (I exercise a lot too, but I don't eat back any of those calories). 1200 isn't a magic number. It works for some people, not everyone.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Hello
I think as long as you're eating at least 3 times a day and your body isn't asking for more then stay there, as long as you're not consistently eating under 1,000 calories... but is what you can do is make sure the meals you eat everyday are as healthy as possible to make sure you are getting all the things your body needs everyday... if you do start to feel like your body needs more yet you're not hungry... try adding nuts, or avocado, or any healthy fats to add small portions of higher cal foods
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I don't suggest anyone try to force down more food if they're truly satisfied, but we have to strike a balance and get enough calories in during the week so our bodies function properly.

You can do this by adding calories that don't have a lot of "weight" to them. Healthy oils (like olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil) can be used to add a few calories and healthy fat to a meal while still keeping the volume minimal. Nuts, dried fruit, avocados, peanut butter, whole grain bread, whole fat dairy products. Healthy foods that naturally have more calories, but can used in place of "light" things so that there's no volume issue.

Your natural calorie needs may be on the lower side, but your body is still going to need the right nutrients. You may want to consider a multi-vitamin at least until you figure out how many calories you're able to healthfully consume.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.8/170.4/135

Height: 5'4

Thanks! So starvation mode is a myth then?! Great!

I generally eat well... cottage cheese, fruits, yogurts, meat, veggies and I try to throw in some PB on celery if I feel like having something sweet and yummy. I guess I was just concerned that I wasn't eating enough but then again... I didn't want to MAKE myself eat more.

Will any multivitamin be fine?
southerntruckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I use One-a-Day Women's. Basically, you want something that has a good spread of vitamins (definitely want D and B) and has chromium in it (which is involved in carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism).
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I like to get vitamins from a health food store because they tend to sell vitamins that are made from whole foods rather than synthetics.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

BUMP- so someone with a science perspective can answer this?

Wow I completely disagree with the advice given so far. Please eat more. Are you exercising?
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Height: 5'3"

I'm like you, sometimes I only need ~900 calories to satisfy myself, sometimes I need more. Listen to your body, and don't ignore cravings. Eat when you are hungry, don't deprive yourself, and don't overeat. Small, healthy snacks are your friend! Especially if you have a mouth fetish like me!
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #10  
Picking Myself back up

Height: 5'6 1/2

Well i find if i eat between 1000-1200 i lose weight and stay ok..
go under 1000 i get light headed.. and no energy.. go over 1200, Its hard to lose.. So i think everyone should do whats best for their body. but dont ignore it. if your starving.. EAT.. just eat healthy.. If your tired. Sleep..
good luck!
Grace73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #11  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

As far as multi-vitamins go, Dr. Oz says to split them in half and take half in the morning and half before bed. It's something about your body not being able to process it all at once. Great job on the 10 lbs!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote