Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What do you snack on?

View Full Version : What do you snack on?

Bribarian
06-09-2011, 03:23 PM
So I got my meals taken care of pretty much. Healthy choice meals and salad/meat.

However finding an inbetween snack food has been a task. I used to eat cheezits, goldfish, and other junkfood for snacking.

Anyone know good snack food that will keep off weight?

Ferumbras
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
String cheese.
Beef jerky.
Protein bars.
Veggies and hummus.
Fruit.
A handful of nuts.
Greek yogurt.
Cottage cheese.

SCraver
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I do the same as Ferumbras. Plus I love "Food Should Taste Good" chips. One serving is 10 - 12 chips. I count them out and have a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I love the olive chips, The Works, Multigrain, and the Cheese flavored ones. They have a bit of protein and fiber in them. No added cr@p.

MoniqueDiet
06-09-2011, 04:29 PM
My two favorite snack items are string cheese and raw almonds. I also love Greek yogurt which works great for smoothies.

Bribarian
06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Beef jerky is relatively weight safe?

I didn't realize. Or is there a special brand.

Also thanks for ideas, I think I'll print this page out later.

Ferumbras
06-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I usually buy Jack's Links because I like the flavor. The loose jerky, original style (serving size 1 oz), has 80 calories, 1 gram of fat, 3 carbs, and 15 grams of protein. It's been my go-to snack for a while and I've not had any problems.

Bribarian
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Sounds good.

What's the general consensus on peanut butter as a snack? Good for dieting or no?

Beck
06-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Trader Joe's mixed berry 0% greek yogurt (110 cals)- delicious!
cocoa roasted almonds (1/4c is 150 cals)
fruit: apples, bananas, berries
veggies (red pepper, celery, carrots) w/ hummus
protein bars (Target has some mint choc.flavored ones, 14grams of protein, 210 cals)
edamame

mandy1974
06-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Sounds good.

What's the general consensus on peanut butter as a snack? Good for dieting or no?

I've been eating the lowfat jif peanut butter spread on a pita. I think for one tablespoon it's only 2 points if your following WW. It's also good on those pretzel bagels. I'm still losing so I'm assuming it's ok as long as you don't go overboard. :)

sheramama
06-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I love laughing cow on Kashi crackers; fruit-partially frozen; nuts (the baking kind or still in the shell).

sheramama
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I love laughing cow on Kashi crackers; fruit-partially frozen; nuts (the baking kind or still in the shell).

love2b150
06-09-2011, 06:25 PM
I like:
grapes
sugar free apple sauce
the slim fast and special k snack bars
fiber plus bars
hummus
laughing cow
yogurt
Arnold's sandwich thins with ICBINB spray, cinnamon and splenda heated very good

I go over board with nuts and crackers :(

Eureka
06-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Frozen Grapes
Crispy turkey pepperoni
Pistachios

Teresa66
06-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Low fat yogurt
Sunsweet prunes
oranges
string cheese
laughing cow cheese
Triscuits

ladolcevita26
06-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I love fruit like strawberries, kiwi, apples, and oranges but tend to go over board. A few of my other favorite snacks include:
-1 serving of tuna (about 1/4 cup) on thomas' whole wheat bagel thins=170 cals
-2 full graham crackers with a tbsp of natural peanut butter= 225cals
-1/2 cup edamame= 120 cals
-1 cup dry cereal like cheerios multigrain= 110 cals
-Sugar free chocolate pudding cups= 60 cals
-100 calorie snack packs chocolate covered pretzels (my fave!)

JohnP
06-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I personally don't snack. A minor hunger if ignored goes away, for me. I suspect it is this way for most people. Feeding that hunger with a snack does not satiate and only increases my hunger.

I prefer to eat 2-3 larger meals. This is one reason I practice intermittent fasting, so I can eat larger more satisfying meals.

Snaplet
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I carry small tangerines and tangy apples in my purse. I also like the Atkins Endulge coconut bar, but I like them a little too much so I keep them in a friend's desk at work and only have a couple each week :-) Sliced up cucumber with salt, plain low-fat greek yogurt with frozen blueberries or raspberries...

WeightForMe
06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
babybel cheeses
6 triscuits + WW cheese wedges (160cal)
yogurt
fiber one bars

tommy
06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I try not to snack. That said, there are times when the next meal is delayed or I am unusually hungry. I like just a tiny bit of aged cheddar (like a one inch cube) and a handful of grape tomatoes. I also usually have a jar of pistachios or peanuts in the shell and will take a few of them with the grape tomatoes. On the days when I am in munch mode and not able to get outside and ride a bike or hike or even garden, I will do a 100 calorie popcorn pack - lots of volume. I also eat tomatoes with that if I have them.

Suzanne 3FC
06-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I find I feel better when I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, and it's all carefully planned and counted in advance. My favorite snack is homemade hummus with sweet mini peppers for dipping. My other snack is usually a piece of fruit. If I get hungry at night, I make a cup of tea which occupies my mind and my mouth for zero calories :)

dj mayhem
06-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I love to snack on land o lakes individual cheese slices and string cheese! I also love yogurt, nuts, and fruit.

AnnieDrews
06-11-2011, 09:12 PM
These are some of my favs:
1 cup grapes with a reduced fat Sargento cheese stick
One med. banana sliced into 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
apple
100 cal. Oreo thins
90 cal. choc. chip granola bar
bowl of watermelon or cantaloupe

Riemontana
06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I really love Dannon light and fit yogurt. My evening snack whenever I am home.

I just bought a sampler from diet direct (dot) com. Their bars are lower in calories and lower in carbs than most others. MMMMMM they are really really good. Will be my traveling snack from now on.

That being said, I rarely snack in the day time.

mhill0823
06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I try my best not to snack but I feel like if I snack a little and eat smaller meals I feel more satisfied.
I eat things like chunked up watermelon or strawberries.
or 100 calorie packs of crackers or something.

Dakotajewels
06-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Edy Frozen Fruit Bars. Fresh veggies. Plain Popcorn.

Serval87
06-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I love a serving of thawed frozen blueberries mashed and stirred into a serving of Fage 0% Greek Yogurt,
Bananas, Clementines, Strawberries ect.
Luna bars,
Peanut-butter & Honey sandwich,
Peanut-butter or almond-butter on apple slices,
Carrot-sticks, celery-sticks, baby spinach leaves put on a slice of deli turkey meat and rolled into a "burrito",
Veggies for dipping + homemade ranch made with ranch seasoning and Greek yogurt. (The small individual container of Fage 0% Yogurt is only 90 cals!)

HeatherEljohari
06-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Veggies n hummus
pb + apple slices or celery
popcorn with spray butter (i eat a ton of this)- sometimes add honey.
Cottage cheese (low fat) w/ fruit
watermelon
oranges

As far as peanut butter is concerned it is SO good for us... good protein source. What alot of people dont know is generic commercial brands are full of sugar. You can purchase natural/sugar free. However, you will need to sweeten it with your choice of sweetner. Since I changed my eating habits I make my own peanut butter. Throw them in a blender, water, small amount of oil, honey, salt, and im good.

JOLINA
06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't snack on store-bought grain based snacks. They are just too calorie dense and offer little vitamins and minerals. I count my calories and lose about 1 pound a week.

But I do grow my own fruit.
At present I am snacking on strawberries from my garden. They are delicious when picked fresh off the plant. And they are very low in calories.

I am picking more than a quart a day now, and freezing most of them to eat this winter. In a few weeks my strawberries will be gone, but then my blackberries and mulberries will be ripe. Then currants and wild peaches. And in the fall I will have blueberries, elderberries, Honeycrisp apples, Bartlett pears, domestic and wild grapes, and cranberries.
I grow my own fruit as it is sooo expensive at the stores...and fruit is expected to more than double in price.

There is an added plus to eating the dark blue berries and grapes. They lower cholesterol and prevent strokes and heart attacks. And pear juice prevents dimentia and altzheimers.

I eat all my fruit plain...no dips or sugar. I never make jam, pies or desserts from them. I don't want all that excess sugar and fat in my diet.
But I do make juice and freeze it. The juice takes a little added sugar. And I freeze some of the whole fruit to eat during the winter months.

I also eat 3 almonds after I eat anything. Almonds prevent acid indigestion.
I consider almonds to be my essential snack.

Best of luck on your diets and be sure to eat healthy snacks!
:)

seina
06-15-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm not much of a snacker, that's why when I do snack, I eat whatever I like (in moderation). My favorite would be yogurt though.

CorinneIrene
06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Chobani plain nonfat greek yogurt- my favorite after a workout!

Fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas...)- sometimes I'll combine a berry with the yogurt, but I do like plain yogurt.

A serving size of nuts (roughly and handful)

If I want chocolate, emerald cocoa roast nuts- soooo good!

Kashi crackers- any kind! I love their version of cheez-its.

Kashi soft baked cereal bars.

yoyoma
06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Nowadays, I am trying to stick to three meals, but sometimes I work in a LC snack between lunch & dinner or possibly late in the day if I eat dinner too early. Some things I eat that haven't been mentioned yet:

Grape tomatoes
Melon chunks
Miso soup
Can of light soup
Marinated mushrooms
Marinated roasted red peppers
Defrosted cooked shrimp with homemade "cocktail" sauce (salsa + hot sauce)
Any leftover cooked veggies
Cucumber slices w/LF dip/dressing

mayness
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I try not to get any significant amount of calories through my snacks - for me they're purely a mental health thing. :)

It's usually raw veggies (celery, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, cucumber, tomato [ok, that's a fruit]) or fermented veggies (sauerkraut, pickles, kimchee, pickled ginger carrots).

bella83
06-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Baked/dried edamame beans, olives, cherry tomatoes or a handful of almonds tend to be my snack of choice.