Weight Loss Support - Hot Weather...No excercise

View Full Version : Hot Weather...No excercise

RachaelJ
06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm dreading excercising today. It's 96 degrees and humid in Georgia today and is supposed to be that way all week. Even with Air Conditioning its sticky. Is anyone else opposed/dread working out when the weather is so unbearable?

SCraver
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I went for a run ouside yesterday at 3pm. It was about 85. I thought I would die. I liek running in 50 - 60 degree weather. I wonder if I will adjust? I mean - I can adjust to the cold in the winter. My lungs get used to the cold... can they get used to the heat?

IDK. I am just going to have to suck it up and get up early and run or do it on the TM inside. (~gag~)

Jelma
06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I normally walk at lunch time but it has been miserable here, I work downtown so it is even hotter than the other areas of the city. I just looked at the spinning thermometer thingy we have on a building down here - 97!

For now I will stick with my 2X a week pilates classes, one in air conditioning, one in a sufficiently cool old building.

Good luck!

Scarlett
06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
It's 90+ degrees here and hazy humid. I'm going out at 6:30 to do my run, I've been dreading it all day. Will definately jump in the pool as soon as I get back.

I have my 5K race in > 2 weeks and have the countdown workout schedule posted on my wall. I'm determined to finish all my workouts before the race. Luckly the run I'm doing today I've already completed a few times, being able to do it in the heat will be the true test.

tattoodles
06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Move to Seattle, it's currently cloudy and about 60. We've only had one or two days over 70 this whole year.

Cheshirecat
06-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I hear you! I'm down in the South too.
I get out by at least 6:30 am if not earlier to get my run/walks in. With the bike I usually can handle the heat because I know a shaded trail. But lots of water of course.
It's just hot and humid. No way around it. Running in the evening is just so oppressive and thankfully I can get out in the morning right now.

rose madder
06-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Oh my god it was 91 in Boston today... I did my Insanity workout in my room and just about died.

mzKiki
06-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I get up early in the morning and workout when Iknow it's going to be HOT

CheerMomOf3
06-08-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm dreading excercising today. It's 96 degrees and humid in Georgia today and is supposed to be that way all week. Even with Air Conditioning its sticky. Is anyone else opposed/dread working out when the weather is so unbearable?

You can get a workout in a pool! It's a wonderful way to cool off while working out. Try either swimming laps or just treading water for some time will help burn some calories!

:cool:

darius
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Oh my god it was 91 in Boston today... I did my Insanity workout in my room and just about died.

I learn a lot reading this forum. Now I want to find out what an "Insanity workout" is. This week I learned what "C25K" is.
One lady wrote, "It's TTOM"; and I was wondering WTH!?...oh never mind.

sheramama
06-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Yesterday I waited until night--at least here it cools down a bit. Today I didn't do regular exercise (it was over 90 too) but since I was outside I made sure I was active. I'm going to work on my stomach tonight-less sweat than cardio even though it hurts so much lol.

shishkeberry
06-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Honestly, that's one of the main reasons I joined a gym. I knew I wasn't going to get much exercise this summer if I didn't.

indiblue
06-08-2011, 11:16 PM
It's 100+ in India right now! Early morning workouts for me for the next few months :)

PBmama
06-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Move to Seattle, it's currently cloudy and about 60. We've only had one or two days over 70 this whole year.

I KNOW!!! I love this weather! :D Hopefully we will have a mild summer this year.

caryesings
06-09-2011, 08:16 AM
My workout changes with the weather, and with 90+ back for the next 6 months, the AC gym will be seeing my smiling face again. I've been MIA as far as the Y is concerned the last 6 months when walking and biking outside was so appealing.

JayEll
06-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I have a gym that charges me $10 per month plus a small annual fee. Living in Florida, you just have to have a fallback, because not only does it get hot and humid, it rains on you!

I see people running outdoors here in the summer in the middle of the day. And the vultures keep a close eye on them! :lol: I think it's foolish to force your body to run in this kind of heat. Life doesn't have to be an endurance race, and heat exhaustion is no fun.

Jay

Beach Patrol
06-09-2011, 10:28 AM

I live in Georgia, too. On the coast. Humidity always high! This is exactly why I get up at 5:30 am & do my walk in the morning. WAYYYY cooler, much less humidity. And then I get to shower & start my day with the feel-goodness that I have already done my exercise! :cb:

wife2abadge
06-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I exercise at 5am to get it out of the way and wake me up. I am, however, in a golf league on Wednesday evenings. Last night, golfing for 2+ hours when it was 92 degrees and terribly humid...not so fun. I was wearing jeans too, having gone straight from work with no change of clothes. Ugh.

Angelique
06-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Yesterday was my break day, but I usually take a daily 20-minute walk with the dog. It was 94 degrees yesterday at 7pm. We still went for the walk, but left our dog in the house. Today we will reach 99. I picked the wrong week to switch to evening workouts.

Chubbykins
06-09-2011, 01:45 PM
No way!

This is THE time for excersize. Finally I sweat during my tiring workout and my muscles are getting toned.

I don't sweat much as a person in general so summer is prime time toning time. And come one... never does a cool shower feel more amazing than after a sweaty workout during summer. It is almost like sex. :D

Marmot12
06-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Im in Italy and its not as hot as usual here for summer but i have lost my motivation to go out running lately....i was trying to get up early so it was a bit cooler but im not even doing that anymore i hate working out in the heat.

VermontMom
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
We're having warmer-than-usual weather in Vermont. I work out at home with dvd's / videos, so what I do, is soak my sports bra and my shorts in cold water, put them on (gasping) turn 2 fans blowing on me, then start. It really does help. And that's even without a/c turned on.

AZ Sunrises
06-11-2011, 04:22 PM
98 today and 101 tomorrow. I understand exactly how you feel. It's so arid here that simply walking to the mailbox leaves me in need of a drink. It's not too bad at 5:00 when the sun is coming up, but later in the day is misery.

mhill0823
06-11-2011, 10:27 PM
It got up to about 98 here today! I Love it! Lake day then I went for a walk/run. I think I Love to work out when it's so hot out. I love to sweat I feel like I get more accomplished. I'm sure it's just crazy but I love it. But, if I'm not working out, or laying out at the lake... i HATE the heat! lol!

Chubbykins
06-12-2011, 04:41 AM
We're having warmer-than-usual weather in Vermont. I work out at home with dvd's / videos, so what I do, is soak my sports bra and my shorts in cold water, put them on (gasping) turn 2 fans blowing on me, then start. It really does help. And that's even without a/c turned on.

Sounds so cool! :)

GuardDawg
06-20-2011, 02:17 AM
it has been over 100 for the last week. its still in the 90s until about 930-10pm in louisiana. and humiiiiiiid. weve had some killer winds the last few days which help, and add some resistance to my track walking.

we had a nice end to the school year, it was in the 65-70 area. then boom 102. no getting used to it. no gradual climb. just bam oven.

i do zumba at the community gym with no a/c and 40 other people. needless to say after about a song the sweat is pouring so i keep the water bottle handy!. i feel better about my work out if im soaked in sweat though.... :D