General chatter - What time do you wake up & go to bed? Is it later than you plan?

saef
06-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Just curious about all my fellow 3FC members & how they run their lives & meet their various obligations, particularly whether they are "morning people" or "night people."

What time do you get up in the morning?

What time do you go to bed?

Do you have a theoretical time, when you **plan** to get up or go to bed, but don't always manage, for one reason or another?

And this is incidental, but based on my own experience: Does being online ever keep you from going to bed when planned?

CanadianCutie
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I tend to be a night owl. Early to bed for me is around midnight, unless I have a migraine then I'll go to bed when the pain gets too bad. I'm usually up at a decent time though. I have a routine. No matter how tired I am (except in case of migraines) I try to read at least a page or two of whichever book I am reading before bed, and when I get up in the morning. It helps clear my head. To answer your question about the internet, of course it tends to keep me up past my "bedtime". Especially when I'm back in Canada, and it's the easiest way to keep in touch with my fiance, via skype.

starchild
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I used to be a real night owl...night would roll around and my energy would kick in keeping me up until 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock in the morning. But now I'd say in the last year, I find myself naturally gong to bed at approximately 11:30 every night.

I generally wake anywhere bewtween 6:30 and 7:30 am giving me a usual 7-8 hours sleep every night, which I LOVE.

I'm able to do workouts in the afternoon at the 3pm hour. Actually I prefer early morning workouts such as 6am, but now that it's summer, and so far, so good, I do them in the afternoon.

alinnell
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Generally I get up at 5 AM. 5:30 on weekends (or later if the animals allow it). I'm always in bed by 10 PM, sometimes as early as 9 PM.

geoblewis
06-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm really vigilant about my sleep pattern. I don't manage it with vigilance, but I'm really careful to get good sleep because if I don't, I can't get anything I want done the next day.

My sleep pattern varies because of the people in my life. Teenagers and an elderly mother. I stay up because of my boys being out (I just can't sleep if my oldest is out!) and I get up early because my mother calls me some mornings to make her demands of me. Last night I went to bed at 1 a.m. and was awakened at 7 a.m. Not enough sleep, so today is going to be difficult.

I try to get in at least 8 hours of sleep. I plan to go to bed by 11 and get up by 7 or 8. And being online or watching TV of having some sort of electronic light on before going to bed does keep me up later. I need to shut everything down an hour before going to bed.

I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP to get good quality sleep. It really helps me a lot.

zoodoo613
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I think of 10 as bedtime. I'll often get in bed much earlier (any time after 9) and read, but rarely am I actually asleep before 10. If I'm up past 10 on a weeknight, I think of it as late, but that happens pretty regularly too. My alarm goes off at about 5:45. Sometimes I'm already awake by then, and sometimes I hit snooze for another half hour. On weekends things shift later, but not by more than an hour or 2.

And I frequently find myself on line at times when I planned to be doing any number of other things, including going to sleep.

saggzz
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm a morning person and always have been. I typically go to bed anywhere b/w 9:30 and 10:15. Up at 5:40 during the school year or around 6:00 in the summer b/c my kids get up. They are creatures of habit as well. They have a bedtime of 7:30 during the school year and up by 6:15. Even if I keep them up later in the summer they still get up at 6:00/6:15. So, bedtime tends to be around 8:00 or 8:30 if they can make it. They are probably the only kids in the neighborhood that go to bed early.

mandalinn82
06-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I go to bed at 12-1,fall asleep around 1-4 (insomnia due mostly to shoulder pain - it's terrible finding a comfortable position), and get up around 7:30-8.

A big part of my problem is work. I work from home, and work long hours. Typically I start at 8:30-9, exercise through my lunch break, work until 6:30 or so, take a 2-3 hour break for other obligations (dog park, grandparent-care, making dinner), then work until, well, I'm done, which is usually in the 10:30-11:30 range. Then there are dishes and picking up to do.

caryesings
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I used to be pretty structured in this area. Head for bed between 10-11, asleep between 11-midnight, and alarm went off at 7:55 to start work at 8 (the best thing about working from home).

However the last 7 months I have been sleeping with my beau and the alarm goes off a bit after 5. Some mornings I get up with him, but most I go back to sleep until my alarm goes off at 7 (my work hours have changed and I have to get from his house to mine).

The trouble comes at the end of the day and internet IS to blame. The beau can be exhausted but sits down at the desk and may not make it to bed for hours. Our compromise is I go to bed 10ish to read and if light is off when he makes it to bed, then no attention from me that night. And I'm not just referring to sex. He's come to bed at midnight and started talking to me or asking for a back scratch! I just can't function on the 5 hours of sleep he gets when he stays up with the computer.

skye8080
06-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Sleeping is a major problem for me. Lately I have been going to bed super late like 1,2 or 3 am. And I wont wake up to 12pm. Even the daysi go early to bed i sleep in. Need to change this habit of mine.

irishlad
06-08-2011, 12:35 PM
During the week, I get up between 5.30-7.30am. Depends if I do a 1 hour (6.30am) or 2 hour workout (5.30am) in the morning, or no workout day I get up about 7.45. Go to sleep about 12'ish. During the weekend usually go to bed around the same time and get up a little later, maybe around 8.30am-9am. Strange but I have found that as I lose weight and do more exercise, I have much more energy and cannot sleep in even if I want to.

Zeitgeist
06-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm up every morning by 4:30am, even on weekends when I never set my alarm. Weekend mornings will find me walking at the high school's track by 5am. Weekdays I exercise after work, usually around 5-6pm. I tend to lay down in bed around 8:30p, and will read until 9ish. As soon as I turn off the light, though, I'm out. I rarely can stay up past 10pm, lol.

Cheshirecat
06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I use to be a night owl, but between my husband and my job that has changed.

I'm usually up between 5:15-5:45 during the school year.
I get up around 6:15-6:30 during the summer break.

I'm in bed usually by 10. I probably could stay up longer but it's a habit now. If I'm reading or on the computer that can keep me up if I really want to finish whatever.
If there is one thing I can do health wise, it's get 7 hours of sleep if not more! (plus we do not have kids so I know that helps tons)

Gale02
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
I am naturally a night person but my two small children have required me to be a morning person. Ideally, I would sleep from 2am-10am or so but I've had to learn to sleep from 10 or 11pm until around 5 or 5:30am... generally with one wake up in there to feed a baby.

Needless to say, I'm tired. :lol:

Teresa66
06-08-2011, 05:19 PM
On days I work I'm up at 4:30am and in bed no later than 9:00pm.

On my days off I might sleep in until 8:00am, and stay up until 11:00pm.

The Internet used to keep me up, but the older I got the more important having enough sleep became.

rmc9142
06-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I am naturally a night owl as well, but have found that now that I'm exercising, I'm tired at the end of the day!

I've recently been contemplating how to make the best use of the hours in my day. Getting a healthy 8 hours of sleep and spending 1 to 1 1/2 hours at the gym, plus work, doesn't seem to leave me much time for everything else that needs to get done. Of course, I guess I could cut back on the time I spend on 3FC. :D

I don't know if it's today's unbearable heat, but I'm really dragging today. Any advice for a pick me up?

Emme
06-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I go to bed between 9-10 each night and I'm up between 5:45-6:00 most mornings...even on the weekends. I'd sleep in longer on the weekends, but my dog is on my sleep schedule, too, and he lets me know when it's 5:45!! I can only pet him on the side of the bed so many times with his whines until I know it's time to get up. Then he goes to the bathroom, eats, and goes right back to lounging and sleeping leaving me awake at 6:30 on a Saturday morning. :)

Nola Celeste
06-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Not only am I a night owl now, I have been one all my life. Waking up for school was an ordeal. Every job I've ever had, I preferred a night shift if one was available. If given a choice, I'd go to sleep around three or four in the morning and wake up somewhere between ten and noon.

Now that I work for myself and can keep my own hours, my waking and sleeping schedule seems to have come unmoored. I find myself staying up too late working or (more often, sad to say) fooling around on message boards and looking at Failblog.org and catching up with news stories I might've missed. That means I sometimes see dawn.

That wouldn't bother me in the slightest if more of the rest of the world lived that way, but they don't. Sometimes I miss out on things because of my night-owl tendencies. It just doesn't seem to be anything I can help, and it's been a lifelong struggle to try to maintain a "normal" schedule so I can do normal things like get to the bank, go to the mall, or just enjoy some direct sunlight.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that this battle against my natural sleep cycles is Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome) and not just being a night-owl, given how it's affected me since I was a little kid. I don't want to fall prey to the tendency to pathologize something that is merely quirky, but it'd explain a lot.

MedChick87
06-08-2011, 08:35 PM
My sleeping patterns are always changing, which I'm sure isn't a good thing. It generally depends on my class schedule, since I'm in college and it changes every semester. Currently I have a class starting at 10:00, so at the latest I'll get up around 9:00. However, I now have an adorable 2 month old Husky to take care of, so lately I've been getting up much earlier lol. In terms of going to bed, I usually end up asleep between 11:30 and 1:00am each night. The earlier I get up, the earlier I generally go to sleep that night.

The internet most definitely keeps me up, although recently our internet at my house has been broken so I haven't been on nearly as much as normal!

morphomel
06-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Definite morning person here. I go to bed at around 8-8:30, fall asleep in 1-2 hours on a good night(insomniac - occasionally will lie there all freaking night), and I typically wake up a few minutes before my alarm goes off at 4:30 (or 5:30 if it's the weekend).

I have too many a time, however, lost track of time on the internet and not gone to bed until 2 or 3. Those are usually days I didn't exercise and have the energy to actually stay up.

FrouFrou
06-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Yes, yes and yes, lol!

I have had insomnia for a while now and it has been HECK! For a while I was in bed by 10 and up at 7. Now I am lucky to get to bed by midnight but I still have to be up early...get up at 7:30, or rather did...that has since changed to 6:30 starting this past Monday. And yes the computer is a factor sometimes in the time I am in bed. I try to go to bed by midnight as I said but I will end up wide awake tossing and turning until anywhere from 2-4 a.m. I can't take a sleeping aid because they knock me out and I am afraid I will over sleep. So I nap when the baby naps...thank goodness for naps!

abetterme
06-09-2011, 01:34 AM
I get to bed between 10-12. My daughter always wakes me up throughout the night (8 mo old) I get up to start my day from 6-7. Whenever my daughter wakes up, so do I.

saef
06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I find these answers so interesting -- and it's such a simple thing, really, to go to bed & to get out of bed.

I've been trying to get up around 4:15 AM each day but am finding it so difficult to get to bed earlier, as I really should, and thus am having unnaturally brief sleep at night. I know it's not good for me, but it's hard to break the habit of getting to bed after 10 PM.

butterflymama
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I am and have always been a night owl. I pretty much always get an energy peak around 9-10 pm and find it hard to unwind and go to bed till about 12 or so, last night it was 2 am before I fell asleep and I woke up today at 7:10 am as it was a school day for DS.

If I could reprogram myself I would love to be able to sleep by 10 pm and up at 7 am (I typically feel well rested if I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night)

My mom loves to tell stories about how when I was a baby I would just not sleep, not be cranky but just awake and she would put me in the pram to take me for a walk and every time she would look in at me I would have my eyes wide open starring at the moon :) My sister is the opposite and has a hard time staying awake past 9 pm.

Also yes being online does cause me to stay up later then I wanted to, however before the intern et I would stay up late reading (still do occasionally)

Rainbowgirl
06-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I work until just about Midnight at the hospital. I get home around 12:00 a.m.-ish. If I don't feel like working at home that night (second job), and I'm particularly tired, I go to bed shortly after I get home. I will end up sleeping until about 9 a.m., and then have broken sleep until 11 a.m.

If I get home and I have to do more typing at home, then I may not get to bed until 3 or 4 a.m. I'll still get up around 10:30-11ish.

On the weekends, I may not go to bed until the birds start chirping (Dawn is nature's way of saying GO TO BED! lol)

I've always been a night owl and while I can function if I have to wake up early, it goes against my nature to do so. As much as I hate the evening shift, I realize it's probably what's best for my internal clock.

chickadee32
06-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm very much like Nola Celeste. I've had trouble falling asleep at night and waking in the morning since I was 12 or so.

I'd say that on a "normal" day I probably get to sleep sometime between 3-4am and I try to get myself up around 9-10am, so I usually get something like 5-6 hours sleep. I work a normal M-F job, but my organization is pretty flexible with our work hours, and my boss in particular is very flexible with me. She and my co-workers are pretty used to me showing up for work around 11am most days (I'm usually there until 8pm or so), unless I have a meeting or something that requires me to be at the office early.

There is usually one day each week or so that I don't sleep at all, because I'm still wide awake at 6am and know that I can't afford to sleep until noon, or I'm still awake at 4am and can't risk oversleeping for a 9am meeting. Those nights (when I know I have to be at work early in the morning) are stressful, because worrying over not being able to fall asleep makes it even harder to fall asleep. Tomorrow will be my third day in a row this week that I need to be to work at 9am for something, and I'm already nervous about sleeping tonight.

Sorry for the long post, lol. This is an issue that's on my mind a lot. :)

Edit: Nola - I am reading your link and finding it... odd but comforting, that so many of the symptoms are familiar to me. Not being able to fall asleep until late but sleeping well once I do get to sleep; having trouble waking early despite setting many alarms (I've done the asking people for phone calls thing too); waking naturally after 8 hours when I'm not trying to get myself up for something; being most alert and functioning best from early evening through midnight; sleep aids making me fuzzy but not doing anything to help me fall asleep earlier; not being able to fall asleep earlier even following a night of getting little or no sleep... the list goes on. Thank you for posting the link. I've always felt like my sleep issues are all my fault, like I should be able to get them under better control, and knowing that others experience similar issues is making me think that maybe I shouldn't beat myself up about it quite as much as I tend to do.

krampus
06-10-2011, 01:36 AM
I have to be out the door at 7:55 a.m. to get to work on time. I have overslept and been late more than a few times so I set 5 alarms for 6:10, 6:15, 6:20, 6:25 and 6:30. I have a hard time getting out of bed before 6:45 most days.

As for bedtime, I always "intend" to be in bed by 11, but realistically I typically end up doing so around 12. I don't get 8 hours a night but I can function all week without needing naps.

I have no problem lasting through til dawn on a wild night out, but I hate waking up late. "Late" to me is after 10 am.

EZMONEY
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Being in construction my commute can be anywhere from a mile away to 200 miles. I usually have to be up by 4:30 and out the door no later than 5 at any given morning. Right now I leave my home at 3:30am on Mondays and then stay where I go during the week...but am still at the 7-11 every morning by 4:30 for my coffee.

It is rare that I am still in bed later than 5 on the week-ends, usually up by 4:30....

I do this without an alarm!!

But then I am in bed some nights by 8... most nights by 9 and all nights by 10!!

Glory87
06-11-2011, 08:46 PM
I plan on being in bed between 11-12 at night and I would say I make this goal 98% of the time. As I grow older, I have "reverse insomnia" - I rarely sleep past 6, even on the weekends.

mhill0823
06-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm up by 630 or 7 sunday-friday for work.. so by default Saturday is my one day off and of COURSE i wake up around 7... my body has officially been programmed:(
I try to go to bed by 10 every night but I'm usually late due to being online, or watching a good show or movie... and this fall I start back to school so night classes won't end till 9 and my school is 45 minutes from home.. so I'll be even later getting in bed those nights! But I still wake up early in the mornings!!!!
I'm acctually thankful that I wake up early even on my days off on Saturdays so I can enjoy my ME day!!!
:)

theox
06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
I think I'm naturally a night person, but I can get up early if I need to. I had a seasonal job a few years ago that usually required me to be at work at 4:30am. I did it (and got more hours than I would've otherwise, since nobody else wanted that time), but didn't particularly like that aspect of the job.

If I'm scheduled to work or volunteer I usually get up between 7-8am, depending on what time I need to be where I've committed to being. I've been trying (kind of) to get up around the same time on weekends, but that's had mixed success. ;) Unless I'm sick or stayed up way, way too late, then I'm usually up by 10-11 at the latest on weekends.

Ideally, I'd be in bed by 9:30 every night, since I've found getting between 9 and 10 hours of sleep is optimal for me. That hardly ever happens. I'm in grad school and am usually up until 11:30 or later with schoolwork every night. Between semesters I usually get to bed at a more reasonable hour. When I was just working and not going to school I tended to get to bed earlier too, although the particular hour depended on what time I needed to be at whatever job I had at the time.

When I was unemployed and not in school I got into the habit of going to bed about 10 or 11pm and getting up about 8:30 or 9:30am.

Like some of the other posters, falling asleep has often been difficult for me. It takes me a long time to "wind down" mentally, which is probably part of my ADHD. It can take me hours to fall asleep unless I'm completely exhausted, "sleepy" drunk, or using meditation techniques to force my mind to settle down.

And yeah, going online (3FC included) doesn't help. ;)

DixC Chix
06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I am most definitely a morning person. I am up with the birds and the sun (I hear that first chirp of the day) ~ 4:30 ish and jump out of bed full of energy. I do not use an alarm. I naturally will sleep 7.5-8 hours a night. I am also down with the sun too and head to bed 8:00 ish. I rarely see much of a 9:00 show on TV. Computer use rarely affects my schedule.

IsabellaOlivia
06-12-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm the worst night owl. I stay up until 3 am. Falls asleep at 4 am. Wake up at 12-1. I never get anything done during the day.

Pint Sized Terror
06-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Bedtime varies, wake up does not.

I have a 6 year old and 3 year old, and have to wake up at 7am on school days. Sometimes I can push it to 7:30 since the school is about a block away, but I have to rush. On the weekends I tend to wake up between 9am and 9:30 if the kids don't wake up first.

I generally try to get to bed before midnight on most nights, but I'm usually in bed or asleep by 11pm. Sometimes I'll get caught up in conversations at friends houses on the weekend, or really into a movie and not get to bed until 2 or 3, but that doesn't happen often.

Pint Sized Terror
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Like some of the other posters, falling asleep has often been difficult for me. It takes me a long time to "wind down" mentally, which is probably part of my ADHD. It can take me hours to fall asleep unless I'm completely exhausted, "sleepy" drunk, or using meditation techniques to force my mind to settle down.

I have ADHD too, and I find that stopping ALL of my attention consuming activities (things I tend to hyper-focus on) helps. For instance, no TV, computer, reading or cleaning after 10pm, preferably earlier, but hey! Once the kids go to sleep at 8:30 I have things I need and want to do while they're asleep! To wind down I listen to music and play solitare on my iPod while laying in bed. Gets me ready to sleep in about 20-30 minutes.

theox
06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I have ADHD too, and I find that stopping ALL of my attention consuming activities (things I tend to hyper-focus on) helps. For instance, no TV, computer, reading or cleaning after 10pm, preferably earlier, but hey! Once the kids go to sleep at 8:30 I have things I need and want to do while they're asleep! To wind down I listen to music and play solitare on my iPod while laying in bed. Gets me ready to sleep in about 20-30 minutes.

Cool! I always like to hear about what works for people. Unfortunately, thinking itself is what keeps me up, no matter what else I've been doing or not doing, so I've found using meditation techniques to be the best way to get to sleep.

Pint Sized Terror
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Me too, which is why I distract myself with the Solitare. :D

theox
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
LOL. I wish I could do that. But I just spend hours playing games or listening to music when I try that sort of thing. :dizzy: And then I still feel compelled to think! :mad:

Oh well. It all works out.

dragonwoman64
06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm not going to complain (at least to myself) anymore about a 6:45am wake up call. We're almost always in bed by 10pm. BF has sleep problems, so he tends to get up during the night, and is up for good by about 4am. Weeknights I usually don't even go on the computer. Weekends I sleep in maybe 1/2 hour, and maybe will go to bed 1/2 later (rarely). Wow, what a pattern fiend I am.

I have had periods of insomnia, where it takes me a while to get to sleep. Now, with work and the gym and etc, I don't find that to be a problem. I can exercise up to 10 minutes before I hit bed, and still will fall asleep easily. The only things that helped me fall asleep where 1) chamomile tea, 2) reading, 3) counting backwards from 100, repeating until I'd fall asleep.

jules1216
06-12-2011, 06:50 PM
through the week...wake up is by 6 AM...bedtime between 9 and 10....Friday is my only sleep in day...but the weekends....al revolves around my one year old grandson...

Friday night he went to bed at 10 and got up at 5ish...hubby got up...let me sleep to 8 and then went back to bed...Saturday night...yikes...he went to bed at 8 decided 2:30 AM was time to wake up...went down for two hours at 6 am....

I am too old for the sleep deprivation...

TheRightWeigh
06-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Generally, I'm asleep by 1:30-2 am and up around 8-10 am...I have to be COMPLETELY wiped out to wake up later than 10:15am...I always intend to get 8hrs, but it rarely works out that way...

darius
06-22-2011, 06:18 PM
I am most definitely a morning person. I am up with the birds and the sun (I hear that first chirp of the day) ~ 4:30 ish and jump out of bed full of energy. I do not use an alarm. I naturally will sleep 7.5-8 hours a night. I am also down with the sun too and head to bed 8:00 ish

Where I live, in the summer time it starts getting light at 4:30 AM.
That's very different from when I used to live on the east coast of the US and it started getting light at 6:15 or so.
I naturally wake up earlier here.

maita88
07-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm usually up around 6:30, but my cat has been waking me up around 5:30 the last week or so. I'm definitely a morning person, I love waking up with the sun :)

I go to bed around 9:30-10, early for a girl in her early twenties, but I need 9 hours of sleep or I'm kinda cranky. Plus it allows me to get up early, which I like. Sometimes I may be up later due to a show or movie I'm watching, or I'll go to bed earlier, but that's only when I'm sick.

I've never really been delayed in going to bed because of being on the computer. I have an iPhone, so I'll usually check facebook or msn right before I fall asleep.

Scarlett435
07-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm like Teresa66, I'm up at 4:30 every morning & in bed by 9 but fall asleep somewhere between 9:30 and 10p. To include weekends most of the time. I try to sleep in but all I do is dose off and on and wake up more tired. LOL

I'm one of those folks that don't need 8 hours of sleep. Never have.

Once I'm awake I'm ready to rumble. LOl
Have a great week everyone.

Armida
07-19-2011, 04:06 PM
I love mornings! I'm usually in the sack no later than 10pm. Sometimes later. I'd like for it to be earlier, but my husband's a night owl. We're both up by 6:30. I'd love to wake up with the sun though. Since I live in the city I have to cover up my windows really well, the lights bother me at night, so I don't actually know that the sun has come up. We're usually out doing our workout by 7am.