General chatter - The Next Food Network Star Thread

View Full Version : The Next Food Network Star Thread

cbmare
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
What do you think of Penny?

Howie was surely full of himself. I guess he thought everyone was his sous.

I can't see Juba going very far.

Who do you think is going to become their "sweetheart"? They always have one.

Kitsey
06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
***Spoilers***

I was hoping Penny would be the one sent home. Don't like her at ALL. I hope we don't have to put up with her for long. When it was down to the last 3 I hoped they would send Howie home, didn't like how he treated that girl who did so much to help him out. And I think the Vegas guy deserved another chance. I think Whitney and Orchid are going to do well :* I like Alicia, but it looks like she might be a bit too scattered...

Clydegirl
06-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I like Orchid.

Sexy lady is annoying. They sent the right person home.

Tai
06-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I think Orchid will be their next sweetheart. Juba is a cutie, but I think he will be cut very soon.

The contestants seem a little snarkier this year.

patchworkpenguin
06-08-2011, 12:28 AM
I didn't like Vic on first impression, but during the final evaluation he discribed himself as the 'angry man with empty plates' which I found hysterical. I like people who can laugh at themselves.

I didn't like Howie and I'm glad he got sent home. The judges must have really disliked him and his food to send him home while keeping Vic of the empty plates. I think what the contestants don't realize is that the judges KNOW everything that happens anyway. I was happy to see his blonde teammate {julia?} confront him about all she did for him, but wasn't surprised that he blew her off.

I don't like Penny {is she Miss Sexy?}, all she does is pick on Alicia. Blah blah blah.... Penny complained about Alicia's meltdown but then looked like she was going to cry herself when Susie told her to tone down the 'sexy' thing.

I like Juba and think he has a lot to offer but he has to get over the camera shy thing.

I think the Sandwich guy should call his show Slamwiches.

The only downside of watching this show is it makes me want to eat!!!!!

cbmare
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Tai, IA. I think they are snarkier this time, too. This is the Next Food Network Star, not Top Chef. These cheftestants need to realize that they need us, the public, to like them. If we don't, we won't watch their show.

I hope the judges start coming down on Penny. Let's see how she holds up to their remarks.

Juba is not going to last long if he can't have a camera presence.

Sweetcaroline
06-09-2011, 12:33 AM
bye bye Howie, I was happy to see him go home first.

Slim CB
06-09-2011, 10:32 AM
This looks like its going to be an interesting season....

raebeaR
06-10-2011, 02:05 AM
I am not crazy about Penny -- she's so full of herself! But Alecia drives me nuts, too. I think she's awful. Not professional in the kitchen and snarky as can be. I thought she was at least as nasty as Penny. Their team promo was cringeworthy, and the great pear-boiling shriek-fest was amusing but not in a good way.

I'm glad Howie is gone. A big galoot with a sense of entitlement.

Orchid is a favorite, too, although I like Susie Jimenez, also. Poor Juba... he does need to build some confidence! But I think Whitney may be the dark horse. :)

Fun to watch together!

cbmare
06-10-2011, 02:29 AM
I think you may be right about Whitney.

Clydegirl
06-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Poor Juba couldn't handle the camera. Shame, the dishes he made the judges loved.

Not liking Penny.

I'm enjoying this season it has a different feel to it.

cbmare
06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm enjoying this season it has a different feel to it.

I wonder if on past shows they were reminded that they want the public to like them and that memo got lost this time. We've watched someone pick teams before but I don't recall that they've been asked why.

Penny did listen to them and got rid of the "sex back into the kitchen" ploy. At least for now. I still don't like her.

I like what's his face and his bow tie. That outfit was kinda fun. Now let's see if he let's himself out and becomes the personality they want.

raebeaR
06-16-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm not a big Penny fan, but I have to hand it to her for caginess. She does have them all pegged! I don't think she'll finish, however.

Still betting on Whitney -- although the judges are clearly pulling hard for Vic. Guy Fieri Version 2.0? Reminds me a lot of Michael Symon, too. Except Michael Symon can cook. ;)

I'm also betting Alissa will be the next to go. She just can't take the heat. I did like the pig story, though. ;)

cbmare
06-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm also betting Alissa will be the next to go. She just can't take the heat. I did like the pig story, though. ;)

We burst out laughing when she made that pig comment. If you have it recorded, listen to the judges. They really cracked up!

ShyHeather
06-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Oh my gosh. I cannot stand Penny and I only saw one episode. All I can think to myself is, 'Who would watch her? She seems like such a b!tch and people who watch remember who did what and how they acted.' I don't like supporting people like that (if I can help it).

I do like Orchid though. Felt bad for her because she was at such a loss as to what that one item was and grabbed canned oysters. Ahhhh...poor girl. Glad she was safe in the end. :D

Slim CB
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Anyone else still watching this? That Penny is a sure firecracker! I love Orchid but she seems to be paling in the last couple of shows.

And Vic really looks like Michael Symon. And he has proven that he can cook!

This is really an interesting season! Cant wait for Design Star to start too!

Clydegirl
06-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm still watching.

I do like Vic I'm glad he's still around.

patchworkpenguin
06-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Hubby and I are still watching. I loved when they put Marybeth and Penny together. They did something like that last year to two women who didn't get along, but they ended up working well together and got over there differences. I don't think that worked with MB and Penny, LOL. Hubby thinks they are keeping Penny around to boost ratings,

I was surprised they sent Justin home, I think he was surprised also, he's proved he can cook but he didn't seem to have an outgoing enough personality.

Hubby loved Michael Symon's comment to Vic about 'caveman good looks'. Hubby's tall/big with a shaved head also.

I'm trying to look for contestants who's shows I would actually watch and want to make their recipes. I liked Melissa and Aarti during the contest, but only watched a few of their shows each.

raebeaR
06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes, still watching here, too. I was sorry to see Justin go, but I sure understood why they cut him. LOL, patchworkpenguin, I agree with your hubby that they've kept Penny around for the ratings... she's good for the drama/conflict demographic!

Looks like Whitney is not doing so well. Suzie is starting to find her rhythm, and Vic is very engaging. Orchid remains a contender as well.

We'll see what happens!! :)

Riemontana
07-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Just want to say: I am so happy to find this thread. I really love this show!

I can't stand Penny. I really like Vic.

patchworkpenguin
07-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I wasn't surprised to see the other Justin go, he was all over the place this week.

I thought Whitney did a good job of coming out of her shell.

Penny keeps bashing Jill for only cooking Midwestern food, but then Penny only cooks Middle Eastern. She's obviously very good at it, but she picks on others for what she does herself.

Vic in the wig was hysterical but the story about his Gma was very sweet.

I didn't think it was a good sign that the committee said that Jill was good in front of the camera but not nessasarily with food. Wasn't that what they said about the other girl right before they sent her home??

This is only the second season I've watched but I'm beginning to see patterns in the show; the different sets, the way they match opposites, how they draw people out, and the different challenges.

MindiV
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I love this show!

I still really like Vic a lot. And I think the judge Susie has a thing for him. However much I like Vic, though, I'm not sure about his point of view...cooking Vegas-style? Doesn't really appeal to the normal home chef.

I like Orchid, but like someone else said, she's falling off a bit now.

I can see myself watching Jill cook if she can find her rhythm. She seems like a warm person I'd like to hang out with.

Whitney is kind of harsh, to me. If she can come out of her shell I'll like her more. And Penny? Cannot STAND her at all. No chance I'll ever watch if she wins.

The dark horses? Suzie and Mary Beth. They are both funny and engaging, and nobody is looking at them as legitimate threats to anything.

time2lose
07-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I think that Penny will go next. I watched the "Judges Take" on the NFS's web site. Everyone that Bob has criticized is gone, except for Penny.

cbmare
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I think that Penny will go next. I watched the "Judges Take" on the NFS's web site. Everyone that Bob has criticized is gone, except for Penny.

I haven't watched that. I should.

Penny is so dislikable.

Slim CB
07-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't watch Penny's show - she is too abrasive.

cbmare
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
How did you like her last night? I loved the judges reprimand when she stepped out of line and did that stupid cat's meow thing at Mary Ann. She needed to be slapped upside the head with that reminder about the Food Network family and her attitude and actions don't fit in with that.

I think Vic is finally relaxing and has made a vast improvement.

I hated to see Orchid go. She was so promising in the first 2 weeks.

At least we know that the "Food Truck Wars" will be coming back in August.

raebeaR
07-12-2011, 01:16 AM
I felt bad for Orchid, too. She was adorable, but was clearly intimidated as the competition went forward.

Penny won't win, but she is a good cook. I think they love her for ratings! The meowing stuff was pretty awful.

I don't know... it seems like the ones left are so much like the ones they already have. Vic is fun, but he's another Michael Symon/Guy Fieri... Jyll reminds me completely of Melissa d'Arabian... Susie and/or Whitney is the next Rachel Ray.

Guess I'm leaning toward either Susie or or Jeff. We shall see!

It's fun. :)

MindiV
07-12-2011, 09:24 AM
I see Jill as more of the Rachel Ray. Orchid was really sweet, but her style of cooking was pretty Southern and would have stepped all OVER Paula Dean. I think Vic and Susie are the front runners right now. Vic seems to be heading more toward a POV that focuses on traditional Italian food with a modern twist, which I can get behind. And Susie would just be fun to watch, I think.

Slim CB
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
I think Susie is going to win.....and boy am I glad that Penny was sent home!!!!!!!!!!

Clydegirl
07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I think that Susie is the favourite to win now.

It will come down to her and Vic.

I thought they would have sent Mary Beth home last night instead of Penny.

Great food Penny but your personality sunk you.

Slim CB
07-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Is anyone following Design Star on HGTV? That's my next fave! Tonight is the white box challenge!

cbmare
07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Is anyone following Design Star on HGTV? That's my next fave! Tonight is the white box challenge!

Yes. Why don't you start a thread for us?

I'm surprised that Penny went home. We thought they'd keep her for the ratings boost. I wonder what she'll think of herself when she sees how they've presented her.

Vic is still impressing me. However, I think they are trying to gear the voting towards Suzie much like they did Aarti for her Indian food. I don't watch Aarti's show because I don't like Indian food. She is a very nice likable person but I just won't bother with fixing her food so I don't watch.

MindiV
07-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree...so far I think it'll be Susie and Vic. I'm thrilled Penny is gone...on TV you can fake good food, but if your personality is abrasive and unlikeable, there's nothing that can save you.

Clydegirl
07-22-2011, 11:10 PM

I watched the white box challenge.

I missed the first show.

98DaysOfSummer
07-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I have to FF through parts of both of these shows. I just find the hosting segments make me cringe. I know they're all beginners and they'll get better but I'm so embarrassed for them!

cbmare
07-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm surprised that Vic stumbled this week. He was starting to come on so well. I'm not surprised that Jyll went. Is it just me or do we NOT have a unit that is as cohesive as previous seasons?

Jen516
07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I agree this batch of contestants is weaking than previous seasons... The judges are really rooting for Suzie and Vic. I'm hoping the Sandwich Guy pulls it together! He was great on Rachel's show.

patchworkpenguin
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Was it the sandwich guy who said ' now that Penny and Chris are gone all the drama went with them, now its just the contenders?'

I feel that the contestants are starting to crack. Jyll brought out the 'comfort food with Cal twist" Suzie said she was trying to make Mexican food elegant, both of which the judges commented they had never heard them say before. Whitney can't say anything about herself {My brother is a firefighter, I can talk about him...}, and she served a copy of Ina's own recipe to her, she couldn't think of anything original to do? Vic's lasagna in a tortilla??? That doesn't even sound good to me.

Jen516
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, there were some real doozies this week. I couldn't BELIEVE Whitney made Ina's own cupcake. This is "me in a cupcake." No, that's Ina in a cupcake. I was diasappointed no judge called her on that.
And that lasagna in a tortilla -- was that for real???? That's like state fair food! Belongs in the line with the fried candy bars and the hot dog stuffed in a potato!