Weight Loss Support - Is it just me...

View Full Version : Is it just me...

Mickey79sf
06-06-2011, 11:40 PM
So .. does anyone else cruise through a thread and just look at other peoples tickers and compare :blush: or is it just me :D i know it sounds kinda silly but i can't help it! even if im there to read the thread it just catches my eye. i usually look and think. man.. why i be where they are on their ticker?! well let me know what yall think.. and please say its not just me :))

Lovely
06-07-2011, 12:23 AM
I certainly notice other people's tickers and signatures. They're there to be noticed, after all! And we're on a weight loss board, so people's weight loss is going to be on the brain.

I don't know that I do a lot of comparing other than a quick "can't wait until I get there". Or a "what awesome progress" mental note.

sacal96
06-07-2011, 12:35 AM
I definitely look at tickers and the sw/cw/gw of almost everyone. Most of the time its to say I wish I were that far along! Haha.

mypinkpolkadot
06-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Yeh I always look. Definitely have my moments of jealousy too! haha

luckymommy
06-07-2011, 01:37 AM
I find it inspirational and also, it makes me realize what realistic is, compared to what we see on t.v. shows, where people drop weight incredibly fast. I love that I can tell people here (with my ticker) what my weight is, whereas IRL, I would never! ;)

Niecy
06-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Yep to the inspirational part....looking at the tickers, goal photos and posts in general is what got my ticker to, well, ticking!!! lol

Mickey79sf
06-07-2011, 03:27 AM
thanks for the replies :) it so true about the realistic aspect. because tv and mags all give a twisted view of how long it takes to lose weight and being on here u can see how long it took someone to get where u eventually want to be and get that motivation to just stick with it..something i really need :)
mickey :)

MzJuicyD
06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
O i definitely look! And yes I have my moments of jealousy as well. Everyone seems to be so much smaller than me and they talking about how much they need to lose. I'm thinking "man! I wish I could get down to your starting weight!" lol. Sometimes when I see someone hit onederland i start to think "man! I'm never gonna get there!" lol. It's all a mind thing!

Mickey79sf
06-07-2011, 04:02 PM
OMG i get really jealous if the person is the same height as me and had the same starting weight lol.. i should be shamed :)

O i definitely look! And yes I have my moments of jealousy as well. Everyone seems to be so much smaller than me and they talking about how much they need to lose. I'm thinking "man! I wish I could get down to your starting weight!" lol. Sometimes when I see someone hit onederland i start to think "man! I'm never gonna get there!" lol. It's all a mind thing!

zoodoo613
06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I notice. Especially heights, and unless you're short, you can't possibly know what I'm going through, and even then probably not. (Not really, but you know what I mean. :) )

gonnadoitthistime
06-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I was just slapping myself around for looking at tickers and comparing, thinking what an awful person I am! Thanks for posting this thread.
I also take posts by people who don't share less seriously for some reason, like why should I take the time to reason their posts, when they might be someone freaking out over needing to lose 3 pounds to fit into a size 2.

AshleyLaurent
06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I always look. But we all have different goals and body types even if they happen to be the same height.

belmagick
06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I always look. But we all have different goals and body types even if they happen to be the same height.

^^^ I agree with this. I compare especially when someone posts of a similar height to me although I think my goal weight is quite a lot lower than most people on the forum and I worried about it for a while. I think sometimes you have to factor in age as well as body shape. I'm 21 with no children and my goal weight is quite similar to other 20 somethings but I can't compare it to a 40-something who is the same height as me and has four children. 112 Ibs sounds like it's tiny but would put me in the middle of the healthy weight range for people of my height and age.

I guess I always look to see people's progress because it's nice to think I'm not alone and I always look in awe at the 200 + ones and think well if that person can get down from that number then I sure as **** have no excuse to not stick at this. I think seeing people's tickers means I'm reminded that we all get there eventually. Obviously, at times I feel a bit judged by some because I am smaller and I'm really concerned that complaining about my own fears and concerns will be dismissed by people who have come/intend to go further than me in their journey.

gagalu
06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I definitely look at tickers and the sw/cw/gw of almost everyone. Most of the time its to say I wish I were that far along! Haha.

hahaha, same!

Mickey79sf
06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
i am glad i posted this because it puts things in perspective. i have looked at some one whose starting weight was smaller than my goal weight and thought "are u kidding me! i'd kill just to be where u started" all the while not considering that persons personal struggle with weight is not differnt than mine regardless of the number. i have been humbled and now i go to work out cuz damnit i want my ticker to keep moving down lol..
mickey

darius
06-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I always notice everyone's ticker and I am always thinking, "wow - they're so committed; they've done so well" - it serves as an inspiration for me.

Niecy
06-07-2011, 08:03 PM
That's kind of an attitude among women who happen to be larger that I sooooo wish would change. I posted something along those lines here when I first joined 3FC about how MORE judgemental those with more weight than you (definitely not all) but some tend to be. I didn't read the tickers and be like GAWD, she is HUUUUUGE. I was like AMAZING, look how much weight that lady has lost!!!! Or wow, she is going to be one proud woman when she reaches goal.

I wouldn't call my start weight of 193 small by any means, ESPECIALLY on my frame. But I also tried not to judge anyone at the same height who had less weight to lose. Maybe it's due to my having 3 kids, thyroid, adrenal, polycystic ovarian and insulin resistance. It was dang hard just to get where I am now. My husband took a progress pic of me in a bathing suit today and while I am proud of how far I have come, there is much work to do.

Even though I am considered a "featherweight" by some standards, my body still doesn't match my head. I have this crazy, small head and my body is much bigger, kind of like that part in Beetlejuice. I am the POSTER CHILD for a pear shaped woman.

Oddly, I take being judged by larger women harder than being judged by smaller women. Don't even ask me why. Maybe it is because I feel no matter HOW MUCH weight I have to lose, other women with weight to lose, of all people, should know how it feels????

sheramama
06-07-2011, 08:13 PM
For me, everyone's ticker is a reminder that they can do it and so can I. I am a very visual person so when I can get mine FINALLY I will use it for that. Hopefully when I am getting there on my weight loss journey someone starting out will look at mine and see that yes, it is possible :)

Mickey79sf
06-07-2011, 09:00 PM
just for the record.. im not judging anyone when i look at their ticker.. its about me. my envy, my insecurity, my u name it.
mickey

That's kind of an attitude among women who happen to be larger that I sooooo wish would change. I posted something along those lines here when I first joined 3FC about how MORE judgemental those with more weight than you (definitely not all) but some tend to be. I didn't read the tickers and be like GAWD, she is HUUUUUGE. I was like AMAZING, look how much weight that lady has lost!!!! Or wow, she is going to be one proud woman when she reaches goal.

I wouldn't call my start weight of 193 small by any means, ESPECIALLY on my frame. But I also tried not to judge anyone at the same height who had less weight to lose. Maybe it's due to my having 3 kids, thyroid, adrenal, polycystic ovarian and insulin resistance. It was dang hard just to get where I am now. My husband took a progress pic of me in a bathing suit today and while I am proud of how far I have come, there is much work to do.

Even though I am considered a "featherweight" by some standards, my body still doesn't match my head. I have this crazy, small head and my body is much bigger, kind of like that part in Beetlejuice. I am the POSTER CHILD for a pear shaped woman.

Oddly, I take being judged by larger women harder than being judged by smaller women. Don't even ask me why. Maybe it is because I feel no matter HOW MUCH weight I have to lose, other women with weight to lose, of all people, should know how it feels????

Niecy
06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Mickey, just to be clear, I was referring to your INITIAL thoughts about how you felt ("are you kidding me?") when reading someones ticker with a SW of your GW.

I should have acknowledged in my post that you did say you do now take into consideration that you don't know that persons struggles or background...but some never do, they don't care, all they see is the number. And I'm not referring to people who are just "envious", that's normal and I think at times I am even envious of women who have lost what people would think an impossible amount of weight....'cause here I am, 2 yrs later from when I joined 3FC trying to meet goal, lol.

Now for the speaking in general part of my post; not trying to tell someone that they can't or shouldn't feel that way, we all have our battles with self-image, just pointing out how it might make the person on the receiving end feel. Almost as though that person is saying "What the heck are you talking about 'you need to lose weight'??????" and then given an eye roll as if it somehow doesn't "qualify". I've experienced this first hand in real life, IN PERSON. My husband and I went to dinner with two of his co-workers and their wives. We all got up to go to the restroom together as most women do and I was shocked as one of the females referred to me as a "skinny b*#ch" and given the evil eye by her for the rest of the night! I have pictures from that night to PROVE I was NOT a skinny b*#ch, LOL! She just happened to weigh more than me, that's all.

Mickey79sf
06-08-2011, 12:48 AM
gotcha.. i guess i should have choosen better or other words than are u kidding me lol.. i say that to people meaning.. i think you look good.. but it just goes to show even if u have good intentions, the wording can still sting. diddnt mean to hurt or upset anyone.
mickey

Mickey, just to be clear, I was referring to your INITIAL thoughts about how you felt ("are you kidding me?") when reading someones ticker with a SW of your GW.

I should have acknowledged in my post that you did say you do now take into consideration that you don't know that persons struggles or background...but some never do, they don't care, all they see is the number. And I'm not referring to people who are just "envious", that's normal and I think at times I am even envious of women who have lost what people would think an impossible amount of weight....'cause here I am, 2 yrs later from when I joined 3FC trying to meet goal, lol.

Now for the speaking in general part of my post; not trying to tell someone that they can't or shouldn't feel that way, we all have our battles with self-image, just pointing out how it might make the person on the receiving end feel. Almost as though that person is saying "What the heck are you talking about 'you need to lose weight'??????" and then given an eye roll as if it somehow doesn't "qualify". I've experienced this first hand in real life, IN PERSON. My husband and I went to dinner with two of his co-workers and their wives. We all got up to go to the restroom together as most women do and I was shocked as one of the females referred to me as a "skinny b*#ch" and given the evil eye by her for the rest of the night! I have pictures from that night to PROVE I was NOT a skinny b*#ch, LOL! She just happened to weigh more than me, that's all.

Niecy
06-08-2011, 01:28 AM
No offense taken by you at all, because I knew you were just stating how you had felt in the past. It's all good! :)

From my experience, everyone here at 3FC, even if they feel that way in the beginning, realizes we may have gotten here different ways and some of us have shorter/longer roads to hoe than others, we are all in the same boat trying to get to basically the same place. It's normally real life people (like the one I mentioned) who aren't doing anything to change their situation that will just say anything and it doesn't seem to matter that you are only 20 lbs or so smaller than them, you're smaller so you're the "enemy".

gonnadoitthistime
06-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Looking at the tickers can be inspiring and humbling, and it can also keep people from being alone. That's what I like, since I tend to beat myself up so bad, it's great to read positive posts from people who have done well, great to read that others TOO backslide, cheat on their plans, get discouraged. When I see people who have already "made it" I do get a little jealous, but that is a part of life and one of those reactions that if processed well can lead to answers about myself. One of those answers was just how embarrassed, disappointed, and hard on myself I can be. And I hope this doesn't sound mean, but when I see people who have farther to go than I, it helps me to keep from throwing a pity party.

pointless2011
06-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Looking at the weights encouraged me to create a profile and someday have incredible stories to share with everyone.

belmagick
06-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Sometimes I wish some people on here were a little more supportive to each other in general (of course there are people on here who have been absolutely amazing regardless of size-that's why I keep revisiting.)

For me, I'm young and I started at a low (by some standards) weight. But I was still overweight and I had gained like there's no tomorrow over the last year and I believe that given another two years or so I could have easily hit the 200 mark because I have the same problems with food that a lot of the people who are a lot heavier than me have. I used to have an eating disorder, I liked eating junk when I was bored or upset and I was (still am a little) addicted to eating sugar, takeaways and eating out.

I decided to start addressing my food issues now, before it got worse. But that doesn't change the way I empathise with people who are heavier than me. My goal would take me to the middle of my BMI healthy weight range (which I just reached 2 ibs ago) I'm hoping that by getting that far in, it will be harder for me to get back to the stage I was or something.

HMM3
06-08-2011, 04:09 AM
I always look .. .... and are always inspired .... I'm impressed with all goals being met .... everyone has their own plans .... but we can all cheer and support along as we can see them going down ... :cheer::cheer::cheer:

fitness4life
06-08-2011, 08:06 AM
I actually took my weight info off my public info because opinions were being swayed, it seemed, based on my weight.

I usually forget to look at people's tickers (gosh that sounds inappropriate out of context!) unless I'm responding to an exercise Q. The weight of a person determines certain exercises so it's just for safety.

runningfromfat
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Yep, I definitely look! Many times it helps to put a post in perspective and give better advice (or support).

For instance, let's say someone makes a post that they're having a plateau. Well, I might give very different advice if they are just at the beginning of their journey, in the middle, or at the very end. Someone at the end probably just has very slow weight loss due to being so close to their goal. Someone in the middle might be losing inches and having their body composition change while their weight loss stalls and someone at the beginning might need encouragement to stick to their plan or might have to ask themselves if their current expectations are reasonable and/or if their choice plan is reasonable for their lifestyle.

There are more examples too... if someone is just starting I would encourage them to do ANY exercise that they can fit into their life whereas if someone is close to their goal but is still worried about extra flab I'd encourage them to do weight lifting to build muscle.

I do have to admit I get a bit jealous of those with lower starting weight because I WISH I would've had this board years ago when I was just a bit overweight. Things would've been so much easier if I would've dealt with my eating issues then vs. NOW. UGh, but that's my own issue NOT someone else's. ;)

I don't really care at all if someone is my same height with a lower goal weight. I just figure that they have a smaller frame as I do and/or might be less muscular. I lift a lot and am starting to reevaluate how realistic my current goal weight is.

Chubbykins
06-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I notice. Especially heights, and unless you're short, you can't possibly know what I'm going through, and even then probably not. (Not really, but you know what I mean. :) )

We're the same height :D But here I'm pretty much average. In Germany I was a dwarf.

mzKiki
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I always look! @ pinkpolkadot I'm jealous!!! Way to go girl.

SCraver
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I like to look and see who is the same height as me and see where their goal is. At 5'9" I see a huge range of weight goals. Like pointless2011 up above - she is shooting for 130. I have seen others shooting for 140, 150, 160. I am shooting for 170. Is it because of height that there is such a large goal range? IDK. I am wondering if when I get to 170 - will I want to try for 160? Then 150?

I foudn a pic of me at 150 when I started college... I kinda looked scrawny. I want more of an athletic look. IDK. It is just interesting to see where people are coming from and where they are planning to go.

AshleyLaurent
06-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I like to look and see who is the same height as me and see where their goal is. At 5'9" I see a huge range of weight goals. Like pointless2011 up above - she is shooting for 130. I have seen others shooting for 140, 150, 160. I am shooting for 170. Is it because of height that there is such a large goal range? IDK. I am wondering if when I get to 170 - will I want to try for 160? Then 150?

I foudn a pic of me at 150 when I started college... I kinda looked scrawny. I want more of an athletic look. IDK. It is just interesting to see where people are coming from and where they are planning to go.

Personally, I chose 150 because I have an extremely small body frame. I am also a mesomorph, so I build muscles extremely easily and have tons of muscle mass. I haven't really worked out seriously until now (I basically walk all the time) and I actually have strong definition on my abs, legs, and arms.

Its all about your natural frame. Someone who was my height with a thin body type could be a lot lighter than me without the muscle.

To give you an idea, at 175 pounds, 5 ft 10, I am currently a size 6-8 pants/dress size, S/M top. At 150, I will probably be a size 4-6.

yoyoma
06-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I look too, but I am usually looking for context for their post. The physical and mental challenges of losing weight are different for folks with significantly different BMIs. There are a billion other factors as well, including age, family, health, culture, etc, etc, but the ticker provides some good initial context if someone is complaining about how slowly they are losing weight or what they might be able to do to bust through a plateau.

Also, sometimes I will choose to not post if I think the poster might not take my advice seriously bc we are at different points in the WL journey.

envelope
06-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I enjoy looking at tickers. It is purely motivational for me. Everyone has their own path to walk (or jog) so I do not judge.

I choose my GW because it was 100 lbs down from my starting point and I had weighed that much in my early 20's. According to a calorie calculator, I will be at that weight when I am maintaing the calorie range that I feel satisfied at. I am not sure if it is attainable after having children and being significantly older...but I am going to try. I also think of my goal weight as more of a range, our bodies fluctuate so much that I do not believe I will ever step on a scale daily and see the same exact weight consistantly.