Weight Loss Support - Which Scale Do You Use?

View Full Version : Which Scale Do You Use?

Jomo
06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
I have this really lousy bathroom scale. I can never be sure if it is accurate. If I lean one way or the other, the weight varies incredibly!

Which scale to you trust and which might you recommend?

dancinginpaint
06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I posted something like this not that long ago because I got so frustrated with my digital scale that would have huge difference in lbs in a reading just minutes apart. I actually went and got an old style dial scale. No questions I stand and it show the number period. I never have to get on it more than once to know where i'm at. On issue is just check to make sure the hands starts right on the zero if it moves a couple lbs then factor that in. ill take a 3-4lb difference that I can see is caused by the scale then dealing with getting on a digi 3967484 times. Just my opinion, interested to see what other have to say.

Emme
06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
I use this Health-o-Meter scale...I've had it for 5 years and I love it!

http://dyn-images2.hsni.com/is/image/HomeShoppingNetwork/pd300/health-o-meter-body-fat-monitoring-scale~297890.jpg

Jomo
06-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks Emme!

Thanks for the photo. It gives me a great starting point! I'm still curious of what others use.

Paloma
06-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I have an EatSmart scale. I got it because it had great reviews on Amazon. It's been very reliable, I can step on, get my reading, pick up something heavy and get on to change the weight, and then step on normally again and get the same number to the decimal point.

mzKiki
06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Great post! I have a sucky digital scale that I got from Kmart. It doesn't seem very accurate. I used to have a weight watchers scale. The function to show percentage body fat never worked on mine (I don't think I want to know anyway!) but the weight was always right on.

Liliann
06-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I have an old fashion doctors scale w sliding block. It was pricey,but last a lifetime!!

geoblewis
06-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Not my mother's scale! It always weighs me about 11 lbs. higher than even my doctor's scale!

I have a Health-O-Meter dial scale. It's about 6 years old. It weighs up to 440lbs. It's been pretty consistent.

Kendrab1223
06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I have a health o meter scale that does weight, body fat %, water %, and something else? I had a different digital scale that only did .5 increments, and a dial scale that always put me 5 pounds less (that was my "nice" scale that I'd step on when I needed encouragement lol). I got rid of them both when I found my new one brand new at a yard sale super cheap!

It's very accurate as well. Before my kids last dr's visit I weighed them both and their weights were extremely close an hour later at the dr's office.

sunlover
06-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Health-o-meter scale. U can program up to 4 users. Tells u weight and bmi. Also has red, green and yellow lights to show gain or loss or steady...I like it much better than the last scale I had.

kylonaa
06-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Just have to say I feel your pain Jomo, my scale does the same thing! In fact, I should say scales, as I have 3 because each time I get one, it gives wacky readings that make no sense. One gets stuck on a weight unless you get someone way smaller or way bigger on it to reset it, and another has a five pound range across weights within a few minutes of each other. I think I'm going to get an analog one without the digital or just trust the weekly WW weigh-in...

ShyHeather
06-06-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't know what scale they use at Anytime Fitness, but that along with the weight watchers scale my mom's friend has, both come out the same. I weigh myself on this old, first model digital scale from WW and it's off by five pounds. I have no idea how to fix it. But I trust the anytime fitness one, even when it's halfway through the day and I've eaten.

I may spend a few bucks and get a dial scale and see if it is accurate. I just hate spending money right now, since I'm gearing up for my vacation.

dancinginpaint
06-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I just popped back in to say that Liliann that is an awesome scale!

Beach Patrol
06-07-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a digital scale that I bought at WalMart - it was $35.

I like it because it does read "points" (168.2) but I only record the whole numbers (so I'm "168").

I weigh several times a day at different times, just to get a feel for what my body is actually DOING with all that food, water, & waste.

I weigh 1st thing in the morning, after potty, completely naked.

I weigh again about an hour later, after I've had breakfast, before getting dressed. I usually see anywhere from .2 to 1.2 pound difference.

Then I weigh again when I get home, after exercise, and before bedtime.

I can see anywhere from a +.5 to a 2.5 weight gain.
Then the next day, I'm down again, sometimes -1 or -2 pounds.

After eating "fun" for Memorial Day 4-day weekend (two cook-outs, etc.) I went from 168 on Friday to 173 on Tuesday morning. Then after MD4-day weekend, I got right back on plan, & I was back down to 168 by yesterday, so, according to the scale, I gained 5 pounds in 4 days, and then I lost 5 pounds in 6 days. :chin:

Now... I KNOW I didn't gain 5 pounds of fat in 4 days, and I certainly didn't lose 5 lbs of fat in 6 days. No way! :no: I couldn't have possibly eaten THAT MANY EXTRA calories, or a deficit of that many less calories in so little time. One has to take into consideration the water weight & the sheer volume of weight of the food intake or output. :dizzy:

My scale isn't fickle & it's not dumb either - it's a good scale! :goodscale... my weight fluctuates throughout the day, every day. I use the 1st morning weigh-in as my "true weight" and that's what I log on my 3FC ticker. :D

kimicat76
06-07-2011, 02:54 PM
i use the health o meter scale from walmart. it was about 20 bucks. ive had it for about 3 yrs. its pretty consistant for me =)

GettinFit
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I've used Tanita scales for years and have found them to be very accurate. I got mine at Target for $49.00.

ahyessophie
06-08-2011, 12:57 AM
I use a plain old dial scale. I'm trying not to get too caught up in the fluctuations of less than 1 lbs so a dial scale works well as it doesn't give me a number to a decimal point. Each line is 2 lbs so when it's shifted I know I have something to be excited about! But, I know it wouldn't work for everyone. It's the cheapest one at wal-mart and was about $15.