Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #1  

Default Elliptical vs. treadmill

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the two ellipticall vs. treadmill. I have knee issues and want to start exercising again. Has anyone really been able to lose weight on the elliptical vs. walking on the treadmill? What are your thoughts?
daisygirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #2  

The elliptical is very kind to the knees/joints. I don't see why you won't be able to burn calories that way just so long as you push yourself hard enough. Stationary cardio, IMO, makes the mind perceive you're working harder than you really are because there is no natural air current cooling you. The more you sweat, the more your mind thinks you're really working hard. Put a fan blowing on you and rock out no less than 30 minutes. Sadly, though, a 30 minute elliptical run only burns like a can and a half of pop.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Welcome!

First, I think there are two considerations, your knees and your weight loss.

Regarding your knees, you'll probably have to figure out which one is better for you. Most people find the elliptical kinder to the knees, but I too have knee problems and find walking on the treadmill aggravates mine less. (That said I spend much more time running, just because I prefer it)

Regarding the weight loss, weight loss is WAY more about eating right rather than exercising. Most people don't pick one machine and stick to it to lose weight. They incorporate a holistic exercise routine into their diet. It's really hard to figure out how many calories you're burning on a machine; calorie counters on the machine and online are notoriously inaccurate. For these reasons I don't know if anyone would be able to tell you whether the treadmill or the elliptical is better for losing weight.

Perhaps instead of picking one over another because one is "better" for weight loss you could cross-training with different machines. Perhaps you can walk on the treadmill a few days a week and the elliptical a couple days, with strength training a couple times a week as well. Incorporating a variety of exercises is much better than just doing the same one every day; the body gets used to it and the workout becomes much less effective. (This is all assuming your knees are amenable to both machines.)
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

I completely agree with indiblue. If you can, try doing different types of exercise and not just limit yourself to one machine. That way you can work different muscles in your body! Good luck!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Current: 252/238/199

Height: 170 cm

Personally I prefer elliptical. I have on occasion gone 2 hours on them (Level 5, approx 130-140 rpm). This "calculates" at about 1400 cal. On a treadmill I can only do approx 2km (13-14 minutes, mix of jog (11.5kmph or approx 7.1 mph) )and quick walk to recover (approx 4mph / 6.5 kmph)))). I could walk for hours on it at a slower pace but it doesnt seem the same.

I would agree with previous posters and say mix it up a bit. some days I do rowing machine 15 mins, cross trainer anywhere to two hours, treadmill 13-15 minutes, exercise bike 15-30 mins (the one you sit back into is rather comfortable!!). Other days its just some cardio (Approx an hour), and all the resistance machines for muscle toning (Approx an hour). Also an ipod also really helps, even if you are not a massive music lover, you find yourself not thinking about the exercise and listening to songs instead, and then you think "I'll listen to the next song" and it keeps going on. (Ipods plug straight into the cardio equipment in the gym I go to, and records the workout too, so I can see what day how much I did, calories burnt etc and it keeps a record - Technogym equipment). My own personal thinking is that when you are bored, psychologically and you feel more tired physically and less energetic. so if you can avoid this boredom, you feel better, more energetic and go for longer.
irishlad is offline   Reply With Quote