30-Somethings - How do I deal with weight loss comments?!

seabiscuit
06-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I live in an apartment complex and there is this one lady who is older than me, more friendly with me than I am with her and she has a habit of commenting on my weight. I think that she thinks the topic is fair game because she started in on it one day, "Wow have you lost weight?" or something like that and I said "Well yes, I am trying, I have lost ____ lbs." Now I wish I hadn't said that but I don't know how to react towards her, she is overly friendly and curious, wants to know why I wait for the bus in the morning, and I finally told her it because of my disability which is none of her business but how do I say that politely? Today, like other days, she has seen me in baggy clothes and said something like "Still losing that weight," and I mumbled in a low mildly disgruntled voice, "Yeah I am" and avoided eye contact. She knows a lot of people in this apartment complex and I am still new here, only a year and a half here, so I don't want to make a spectacle of myself by saying something rude or snappy to her but I am getting sick of her making comments about my weight which is really none of her business! Maybe she means well and is trying to help but it's really inappropriate. Now I know how my friend feels when I have commented on his weight which is a bad habit maybe one I got into because those close to me commented on my weight. How do I deal with this?

Thanks!

Lovely
06-05-2011, 10:00 PM
If you really don't like it... change the subject! Find some other chit-chatty thing in common that you can quickly converse over instead of weight.

The weather, the news, the creaky stairwell... then wish her a good day and be on your way.

"Still losing weight?"

"The weather's great out today, isn't it? Can't wait to take a walk. Hope you get out there to enjoy it yourself! Have a good one!"

If it's not completely intolerable (to me it wouldn't be) I usually give a smile and a "Just being healthy. Take it easy, ma'am!"

luckymommy
06-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Some people would take her comments as a complement. There are posts here at 3fc where members wonder why nobody has said anything about their weight loss. ;)

That said, I completely understand why you don't want to discuss this subject and you certainly don't have to. I love the idea of changing the subject, which Lovely recommended.

If you want, you could also just say, yes, I did, but it's not really something I'm comfortable discussing.....and then change the subject. Some people just don't get hints, unfortunately.

Finally, you can just try to avoid her every time she's around, but then that would probably be kind of annoying for you as well.

Good luck!