Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #1  

Default Bodyweight Exercises Anyone?

Like many people here, I'm a diet and exercise "veteran," but unfortunately, an unsuccessful one. So, here I sit at probably about 180-190 on my 5 ft. 3 inch frame (can't bear to see the scale at this point) and so burned out from traditional, gym-style exercise that I cannot ever see myself doing those types of workouts again. I need something new and that I can do on my own, no matter where I am. With that in mind, I have some questions about bodyweight only exercises:

1) Does anyone do bodyweight only exercises exclusively? If so, what results have you had? (I'm looking for general toning, not to get ripped).

2) Can someone point in me the direction of some good bodyweight only routines? I get bored easily and need variety. I've Googled "bodyweight exercise programs," but I just thought I'd ask the experts here as well.

3) Speaking of Googling programs, the programs I've skimmed all have pull-ups as one of the requirements. Even if I could do even one pull-up, I have no where to do it. Have any of you tried those pull-up bars that you can buy to put over your door frame? If so, how are those? I would be afraid my door frame would come crashing down, and my husband would be really upset with me.

I'm at a BEGINNER level at this point. My cardio and strength capacity have taken a nose dive during the last couple of years because I stopped working out regularly (got burned out and discouraged about regaining my weight, so I just gave up). I still occasionally do get some exercise in as I have set up my treadmill so that I can work on my computer while walking at a slow rate (sounds wierd, I know, but it's really easy to get used to). So, I walk 2 - 5 miles per day, 3 - 4 days a week, but it really depends on how much computer work I have do to. Also, a couple of weeks ago, I started a push-up and weighted squat routine that I've been haphazardly doing. I need more structure.

Any help is appreciated!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #2  

Height: 5'0"

I am a mom of two young kids, so I don't have time (or money) to join a gym with babysitting. I have lots of weight equipment in my basement, but no one to watch my kids while I use it.

As a result, I rely a LOT on bodyweight exercises for workouts.

Here are a few things that have worked for me:

- I set a reminder app on my droid phone. It dings every hour between 9 am and 4 pm. Each hour it reminds me to do a set of bodyweight exercises (like at 9 am I do 5 pushups, 10 crunches and 10 squats, and at 10 am I do 5 tricep dips, 10 bicycle crunches and 10 calf raises). I can squeeze them in quickly and it does help me feel like I am getting in some strength training.

- When I have time, I may do a Deck of Card workout. I assign each suit a exercise (hearts are pushups, diamonds are squats, spades are lunges, clubs are tricep dips). I shuffle the deck and then do the # of exercises designated by the card # and suit. (For example, if I turn up the 4 of hearts, I would do 4 pushups.) You can get through the deck faster than you think. And you can designate face cards to be whatever you want (For example, any face card regardless of suit is 10 crunches.)

- In a similar vein, I do circuits all the time. I pick 5 or so exercises (pushups, crunches, mountain climbers, squats, lunges, etc.) and then do them in sets of 10 reps over and over again. (So I'll do 10 pushups, then 10 crunches, then 10 mountain climbers, then 10 squats, then 10 lunges. Then I'll repeat the circuit until I do the number of sets I wanted to complete.) Without resting between sets it can be a pretty serious workout.

- For sheer variety of exercises, I definitely recommend trying to get your hands on a copy of the book "The Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness." Don't be put off by the fact that it's written and modeled by a super buff, muscle-y guy. It just shows how bodyweight exercises really can work to strengthen and tone! He has TONS of bodyweight exercises explained and illustrated in the book so you can add variety to your routine.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #3  

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much, banananutmuffin! What GREAT ideas! I particularly like the idea of setting a reminder on my droid. I like the spontaneity of it, and it seems like a relatively painless way of getting exercise in. Your other ideas are so creative, too. I will definitely use them.

I would love to get my hands on a copy of that book you mentioned, but I checked Amazon, and the only copy available is from a marketplace seller for $210! It must be REALLY good--LOL! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it, though.

Thanks, again!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I love yoga as a great cardio + strength training workout. Every position in yoga uses body weight and it's amazing how challenging it can be. Plus it builds flexibility, which is a critical component of fitness that many people often overlook.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #5  

banana - great suggestions!

As far as a door frame pull up bar goes, YES, they are practical and they can hold a lot of weight. My 200+ lb bf used it every day. Just grab a chair so you can use it to modify how much weight you lift.

The reason pull ups are required a lot is because of the number of muscles they work as a group. It's a very efficient way to get a lot of work done!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

Planks, squats and push-ups! I came to these forums with the same question! I've since gotten some small dumbells to 'up the ante' on my squats but squats get your blood pumping and are a great addition to a circuit. Push-ups are (literally) a pain for me, but they're so fantastic for working your entire upper body (arms, back, chest) that I do 'em anyway!
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I have one of those pull up bars (though I am not currently using it) and it held up fine, no problems with it. I think it is this one: Clicky.

Regarding body weight exercises - there is a set of DVD by Beachbody, called Shawn T's Insanity, and he uses no tools, only bodyweight. I have not tried it but those are gruelling workouts, similar to P90X (although those use weights).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #8  

Thanks, all! I'll check out that pull-up bar, Tomato! (thanks for the pic)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I started using the EXACT pull up bar pictured above when I was 200 lbs. Like Fitness4life said, I used a chair to modify my pull ups (started out quite weak).

Now I can do 10 pull ups at a time for several sets. The funny thing is that I really don't do much. Maybe 2-3 times a week...and not that regular. I put it on my bathroom door, so I'll just pop by and do a few at a time randomly throughout the day if I feel like it. It has also given me a six pack (great for core and abs) as I do no other exercise except running 3-4 days/week for 5.4 miles each time.

Less is really more IMHO.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 06-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #10  

joyfulloser, you give me hope that I don't have to commit to some arduous routine to get in shape. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #11  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
joyfulloser, you give me hope that I don't have to commit to some arduous routine to get in shape. Thanks!
Awwhhh thanks! It's true though...I'm the laziest person I know! Just a little bit at a time and remember, diet is key! You'll get there too!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote