General Diet Plans and Questions - BMI index

View Full Version : BMI index

kimicat76
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
does anyone else not use bmi because you think it doesnt include enough factors? muscle mass and breast size are what i mean. i have large (natural even when i was skinny once upon a time ago lol) and they add about 10 lbs to my weight. does anyone else not care about bmi as well?

celrae
06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Check out BodPod testing in your area. It will give you fat and lean weight measurements. I am 5'9 and BMI states my weight should be 125-165, this will not work with my current lean body weight of 135. I don't like the system but, think unless you do the more rigorous testing you have no idea what your factors are.

Ferumbras
06-04-2011, 12:36 AM
I have a bathroom scale that can also tell me my body fat % and muscle mass %, as well as visceral fat. So I use those numbers. Ultimately, I'm not going to decide what my goal weight is based on the bmi, but on how I feel, my level of energy, and how I look. And if my doctor says something, lol.

kimicat76
06-04-2011, 12:48 AM
great suggestions!! tysvm! ^^ i am mainly going with how i feel in my own skin. i know i want to get to a size 9 but i have no idea what weight i will be at lol

Eureka
06-04-2011, 12:54 AM
I agree with Ferumbras. You can use the BMI as a guideline, but ultimately it should be based how you feel.

celrae
06-04-2011, 03:55 PM
A bathroom scale that measures body fat % is a good tool in the beginning but, I would like better information towards the end. We invest so much time, money, and energy into our weight loss progress that I strongly feel that the use of advanced testing like Dexa and BodPod are worth it. In my area a BodPod session cost $19-25 each time. Using BMI makes no sense because, you are lacking information. This is one area that the dieting and medical communities need to work on. Everyone should have access to affordable accurate information. I think people would work harder if they understood their body composition.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/body-fat-measurements?page=3

Ferumbras
06-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I'll look into BodPod this fall, once my move and wedding are done with. For now, the bathroom scale is convenient and at least internally consistent. :)

Esofia
06-05-2011, 05:56 AM
At my height and with my personal build (small-boned, I think, but busty) the BMI seems to give a reasonable range. The lower end of the healthy range is skinny on me, the upper end plump, but probably they're about right for the borders.